Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2006, 08:06 AM   #31
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

Yes, I would have to disagree here also. I think the world is definitely aware of Tiger Woods. Maybe not golf so much, but definitely Tiger. Whether Michael Jordan has a bigger following in China...who knows. I would say, however, without looking at stats and polls, because of Tiger's Asian heritage that gives him some credibility.

Guy, I think your point is well taken about golf not being that exciting which to me makes Tiger even more of an icon. Many that hold the same sentiment will tune in in a heart beat just to see what Tiger did on any given day.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-23-2006, 08:55 AM   #32
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

On terms of athletic competiveness Jordan and Woods are on par with one another. On terms of raw athleticism, how many of you guys have ever started singing: Sometimes I dream, that he is me.... with regards to Woods' amazing athleticism? Come on! Like Tiger, if I could be like Tiger. It doesn't work because he doesn't display any amazing feats of athleticism that make you "wish you could do that".

I wouldn't mind trading paychecks, though.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #33
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,917
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

I think we tend to forget how dominating Jordan was. The end of his career he was really only a very tiny shadow of what he was in the mid 90's. The guy straight dominated. He could single handedly win basketball games like no one. I think Gretsky gets slighted because he plays a non-major sport(sorry hockey people). I think Tiger approaches but it is so hard to do it in an indivdual setting.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #34
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,917
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
On terms of athletic competiveness Jordan and Woods are on par with one another. On terms of raw athleticism, how many of you guys have ever started singing: Sometimes I dream, that he is me.... with regards to Woods' amazing athleticism? Come on! Like Tiger, if I could be like Tiger. It doesn't work because he doesn't display any amazing feats of athleticism that make you "wish you could do that".

I wouldn't mind trading paychecks, though.
Dude, he does a lot I wish I could do. Anybody who has ever played golf wishes they could hit it 300+ yards to a 4 yard area on a consistent basis. The athletic skill it takes to do that is not minimal.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #35
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Dude, he does a lot I wish I could do. Anybody who has ever played golf wishes they could hit it 300+ yards to a 4 yard area on a consistent basis. The athletic skill it takes to do that is not minimal.
No argument here regarding Tigers absolutley amazing golf skills. If you notice, though, I prefaced my statement with "On terms of raw athleticism...."
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn

Last edited by 724Skinsfan; 08-23-2006 at 10:20 AM. Reason: because I can't even quote myself correctly
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #36
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

I don't think a conparison can be made until we can look at Tiger's career stats in total.

John Daly used to be considered a great golfer too.

Sometimes, one blown match kills these guys' careers and they never recover.




However, I'd consider MJ a better athlete...if not the BEST ever in any sport.

Jim Thorpe would be up there on the list too.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #37
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

No golfer, presently, even touches Tiger. Not Phil, not Sergio, not anybody.

As far as, MJ being the best ever I thought the same. But like I said, I just feel differently now.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:38 AM   #38
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,612
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

As for global impact, I'm sure Yao has something to do with basketball's boon in China. But more importantly, keep in mind that it's just easier for basketball to have an impact than golf. It's hard to turn a bunch of run down playgrounds around the world into basketball courts. Nike has done that all across China and it's signficantly increased basketball participation amoung its youth. It's not as easy to build hundreds of golf courses
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #39
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I'm training to defeat him next year. I seriously think I can take him. He shows that you don't have to be a sloppy, fat bitch to win competitive eating contests. Next year, Coney Island will be bathed in TMC-excellence.

That's hilarious because so was I.

I worked out a strategy to beat him.

I think I could do it and I'm a TINY man.

The title DOES need to return to the USA though.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #40
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Skinsfan View Post
first of all, you said you did. your opinion that golf is not exciting is not at all the same as the rest of the world. and if you disagree, show me something concrete, these polls and stats you speak of. i'd like to see you prove that jordan is more popular worldwide than tiger...otherwise it's just simply your opinion.
why don't you show me something concrete instead of speaking like your opinion is the truth and not "just" your opinion. otherwise, get off your high horse.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #41
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

seriously, if you're going to call someone out and deride their opinion while claiming that yours is correct just "because you say so" you really better have something valid to show for it. Otherwise it just comes off as "i'm right and your stupid" and that's crap since you have no proof, yet choose take an abrassive stance.

When i talk to my friends in japan, sweden, france, germany, etc they ALL know MJ and they don't all know woods. none of them care nearly as much about woods that do know both.

and i still hold that speed and power tend to draw more attention than control or focus. (look at the skins - portis, moss, and taylor get all the attention, but griffin is probably the most important player on the team).
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #42
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,612
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
seriously, if you're going to call someone out and deride their opinion while claiming that yours is correct just "because you say so" you really better have something valid to show for it. Otherwise it just comes off as "i'm right and your stupid" and that's crap since you have no proof, yet choose take an abrassive stance.
You're a sensitive little soul aren't you?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #43
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

I have gotta agree with ThatGuy and others, MJ is known much better throughout the world than Tiger. There is no way one can really claim Tiger is known better, it is just not true. Both guys dominate/dominated their respective sports during their time.

What I think is amazing about Jordan, is since a team was involved, it becomes much more difficult to be dominant. It is just common sense, more people in a group effort, makes it harder for an individual to standout. Tiger, on the other hand, plays in an individual sport, and does not have to worry about passing the ball, trusting teammates, and winning a championship together with other people. MJ did all that, and showed he was amazing as well. I think that is much more difficult, and therefore makes him greater than Tiger.

On a side note, I am sick of people comparing f-ing LeBron to Jordan. It really doesn't matter if he is younger. He can't play D like Jordan did, he can't shoot like he did, he isn't as clutch as Jordan, and most importantly he isn't a leader like Jordan.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #44
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,612
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
I have gotta agree with ThatGuy and others, MJ is known much better throughout the world than Tiger. There is no way one can really claim Tiger is known better, it is just not true. Both guys dominate/dominated their respective sports during their time.

What I think is amazing about Jordan, is since a team was involved, it becomes much more difficult to be dominant. It is just common sense, more people in a group effort, makes it harder for an individual to standout. Tiger, on the other hand, plays in an individual sport, and does not have to worry about passing the ball, trusting teammates, and winning a championship together with other people. MJ did all that, and showed he was amazing as well. I think that is much more difficult, and therefore makes him greater than Tiger.

On a side note, I am sick of people comparing f-ing LeBron to Jordan. It really doesn't matter if he is younger. He can't play D like Jordan did, he can't shoot like he did, he isn't as clutch as Jordan, and most importantly he isn't a leader like Jordan.
By that same token, you could argue that Jordan had guys (like Pippen) to help him out whereas Tiger is all alone and has no support out there (other than his caddy).
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #45
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Tiger Woods vs. Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
By that same token, you could argue that Jordan had guys (like Pippen) to help him out whereas Tiger is all alone and has no support out there (other than his caddy).
and roids
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.47661 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25