Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Lost

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #76
Playmaker
 
BrudLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 3,494
Re: Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Well the fact that we have confimation that the Others haven't necessarily been on the island long is a major development to me. She's only been on the island 3 years.
My brother pointer out this mindblower to me. She said she had been on the island for 3 years, two montyhs, blah-de-blah. They've determined that the actual time they are there is late 2004. That would take Juliet back to right around 9/11/2001.

They aren't that ballsy, are they?
__________________
There's nowhere to go but up. Or down. I guess we could stay where we are, too.
BrudLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #77
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,938
Re: Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I was thinking about that too. I think that sort of thing also spoils the show for people because there are not commercial breaks. My sister and her boyfriend just started watching the show, getting caught up through the DVDs and online, and they can't stand watching the normal broadcast because of all the damn commercials.
I wonder if network shows are going to start following things like TiVo stats and DVD sales as closely as they follow weekly ratings (for first run episodes) in the future. I feel like they'd have to or they'd risk cancelling a popular show who's viewers watch in a different format.
Nielsen does some sort of DVR/TiVo tracking but I am not sure how much stock networks put into it. They by in large don't like the DVR/TiVo revolution for obvious reasons and seem to have stuck their collective heads in the sand mostly. Some shows are starting to introduce easter eggs in commerical breaks as a way to have viewers watch them but those efforts have been few so far. Actually Lost did it a couple times.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #78
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,466
Re: Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I was thinking about that too. I think that sort of thing also spoils the show for people because there are not commercial breaks. My sister and her boyfriend just started watching the show, getting caught up through the DVDs and online, and they can't stand watching the normal broadcast because of all the damn commercials.
That's exactly how I started on the show. Wife and I started watching right before Season 2 started...so we watched Season 1 on DVD, and the first several episodes from DVR. Then once we caught up, it made it extremely hard to watch with all the commercials. So now, we DVR, and start it around 20 minutes in. That way we can FF through the commercials, and still be done around the same time.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #79
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,466
Re: Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee View Post
My brother pointer out this mindblower to me. She said she had been on the island for 3 years, two montyhs, blah-de-blah. They've determined that the actual time they are there is late 2004. That would take Juliet back to right around 9/11/2001.

They aren't that ballsy, are they?
I've heard this as well...however, I've also read that the timeline puts her on the island around 9/5/01...
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #80
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,293
Re: Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I wonder if network shows are going to start following things like TiVo stats and DVD sales as closely as they follow weekly ratings (for first run episodes) in the future. I feel like they'd have to or they'd risk cancelling a popular show who's viewers watch in a different format.
But if I'm a network executive, I don't really want to count people who record the show and watch it later (like TiVo viewers). They skip over the commercials anyway. The only viewers I want to count are the ones who watch the live telecast, because they're the ones subjected to the commercials.

The ad revenue is directly tied to the number of eyeballs watching the ads.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #81
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,980
Re: Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
But if I'm a network executive, I don't really want to count people who record the show and watch it later (like TiVo viewers). They skip over the commercials anyway. The only viewers I want to count are the ones who watch the live telecast, because they're the ones subjected to the commercials.

The ad revenue is directly tied to the number of eyeballs watching the ads.
Good point
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
@Scott_Did_It is bored. Bother him.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #82
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,636
Re: Lost

Pretty timely article

Viewers Fast-Forwarding Past Ads? Not Always - New York Times
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #83
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,293
Re: Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
Wow nice find. Runs contrary to what I was thinking. I have TiVo, and I typically watch every show the day after it airs, or at the very least, I tune into my programs 20 minutes after the start time so I can skip through all the ads. I try to avoid the commercials as much as possible.

I figured everyone did the same thing, seems like it defeats the purpose of having a DVR if you're going to watch the ads. But that belief has been debunked by your article.

This post was really one big excuse to use the word "debunked."
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #84
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,264
Re: Lost

i just download my shows, so there's no need to fast forward through anything, the commercials just don't exist in that format
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #85
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,466
Re: Lost

This past week's was interesting. Cindy (stewardess) saying how complicated things were with their abduction. Jack protecting Juilette, trying to gain an alliance. It'll be neat to see the sequence when Jack sees where they live.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.22196 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25