Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #16
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbus View Post
What happened to the foorball discussions.
They still exist over in the football threads...this is to discuss things "off topic", ie: non football / redskins related.

Quote:
On the harmful side, marijuan has many more side-effects than tobacco, ie one joint has as many cancer causing agents as one pack of regular cigarettes.
Ummm what? Where did you hear that? I have still yet to hear of anyone dieing of cancer caused by marijuana. I'm not saying it's great for you...heck any smoke in the lungs can't be good, but worse than cigarettes?? I need to see proof of that.


originally posted by "That guy".
Quote:
oh yeah, and that flawed gateway drug thing.
Everything is a gateway drug! Asperin, alcohol, cigarettes, cough syrup...it's all a gateway drug. Fact is, if you have an addictive personality then anything would be bad for you. But I know guys that are addicted to pain pills, but nothing else, I know alcoholics, but they won't touch anything else, and i know pot heads that won't even drink. It has to do with your personality whether or not you will become addicted to what a drug does to you.

I used to laugh at all those old commercials like if you smoked weed, then you're a terrorist, or if you smoke weed, you'll run over some little girl. It's crap. The new commercials are better where the one kid says "nothing will happen, but I for one want to live life" implying he'd rather be outside than vegging on the sofa. At least that is realistic.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-21-2006, 12:54 AM   #17
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

i believe cigarettes are much much more likely to cause cancer, so i don't know where you got that info gus.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #18
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Everything is a gateway drug! (etc...)

you did see that i said flawed, right?
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:06 AM   #19
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
you did see that i said flawed, right?
Yes, I was agreeing with you...sorry I did not communicate that properly.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:22 AM   #20
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
By the way.... pot doesn't give you cancer either...

light it uuuuup!

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection
Great post rob.

Gus, fear of marijuana is what feeds the notion that it's badfor you. Your parents tell you it's bad, or the government, or whoever, but it's all out of fear. Just like anything, you need to find your own answers, not regurgitate (sp?) what you've "heard".
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 AM   #21
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,490
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Great post rob.

Gus, fear of marijuana is what feeds the notion that it's badfor you. Your parents tell you it's bad, or the government, or whoever, but it's all out of fear. Just like anything, you need to find your own answers, not regurgitate (sp?) what you've "heard".

from the article... greatness

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:15 AM   #22
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Great post rob.

Gus, fear of marijuana is what feeds the notion that it's badfor you. Your parents tell you it's bad, or the government, or whoever, but it's all out of fear. Just like anything, you need to find your own answers, not regurgitate (sp?) what you've "heard".
it is bad for you. memory loss, wasted time, and overconsumption of doritos.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #23
The Starter
 
dall-assblows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: round the way
Age: 31
Posts: 2,211
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

give it 10 to 15 years, it'll be legal
__________________
SOMEBODY PINCH ME
dall-assblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #24
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinskinsfan View Post
I agree, moderation. Maybe that's what Corporate America is doing, waiting for the oppurtune time. Who knows, Wal-Mart gets there way with everything, maybe they'll start selling it for cheap,and crak there whip on some poor phillapino farmer to grow it at a faster rate...."WHOOPISH, GROW IT FASTER!!!"
Corporate America doesn't want moderation - do you really think Big Tobacco wants you to smoke 2 cigarettes a day? Or that Anheiser-Pussy (I hate Budweiser) wants you to drink a couple beers a week? Uh-uh. They want to see you chain-smoking and shotgunning beers 24/7.

Until they can (at least behind closed doors) push for this with marijuana, they won't push to legalize it.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #25
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
it is bad for you. memory loss, wasted time, and overconsumption of doritos.
I'd like to see what kind of proof you have that it is bad for you (not that I believe you are wrong).
Wasted time is a weak argument at best. Stress relief trumps wasted time and memory loss any day of the week.
So what exactly is "wasted time"? Some of the best memories in my life came from when my best friend and I smoked a bowl and played playstation all day, laughing and having a great time.

(don't try that at home kids, I am a trained professional)
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #26
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,490
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I'd like to see what kind of proof you have that it is bad for you (not that I believe you are wrong).
Wasted time is a weak argument at best. Stress relief trumps wasted time and memory loss any day of the week.
So what exactly is "wasted time"? Some of the best memories in my life came from when my best friend and I smoked a bowl and played playstation all day, laughing and having a great time.

(don't try that at home kids, I am a trained professional)
Let's make video-games illegal...

When I was 15, I wasted alot of time, ate alot Dorito's... all due to video-games....

Thus far there hasn't been any conclusive scientific evidence to suggest long-term memory loss and marijuana are associated. But honestly who cares?

I think the debates over... Pot will become legal in the next 5-10 and mabye sooner. It's not something that deserves passionate political debate in the spotlight... lets start talking about crime and poverty before we go all ape-shit over something pretty insignificant.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #27
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Let's make video-games illegal...
That's a democrat thing to say. Blame the medium, not the person. hahaha

Quote:
When I was 15, I wasted alot of time, ate alot Dorito's... all due to video-games....
There have been extensive studies done that prove that video games help to develope hand / eye coordination. FYI

Quote:
Thus far there hasn't been any conclusive scientific evidence to suggest long-term memory loss and marijuana are associated. But honestly who cares?
Apparently some do, otherwise we wouldn't be in this thread discussing it.

Quote:
I think the debates over... Pot will become legal in the next 5-10 and mabye sooner. It's not something that deserves passionate political debate in the spotlight... lets start talking about crime and poverty before we go all ape-shit over something pretty insignificant.
Start a thread about crime and poverty and most of us will visit it. However don't pass a thread off as insignificant because you don't like what the discussion is about. Why do people feel the need to "stop" a debate? If you choose not to participate, that's your perogative.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #28
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,490
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

Make videogames illegal was a sarcastic comment jack-ass....

A democrat thing to say? Get a life.

Grow some balls and use facts to counter someones argument, not random banter that is just useless. Quoting something I say and calling it something a "democrat" would say is just plain ignorant. Fuck that I won't have it.

As far as conclusive study?
ASA*:*Is there reputable research showing long term memory loss due to occasional or even heavy use of marijuana?

There is not any conclusive evidence as I commented earlier.

And passing this thread off as insignificant is my personal opinion, but it's only because we've already discussed everything to discuss. Why don't we gain some new ground and talk about something that matters for a little while. I'm not trying to be the moral hierarchy of the situation, but just thought some re-directed focus was probably more beneficial to everyone here... especially given the direction this thread was headed.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #29
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,490
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

No personal offense, I know it probably doesn't seem it... But i'm a bit frustrated... sooo yeah... apologize for the intensity of the argument...

all love...
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #30
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

I honestly don't think pot is soo horrible, but america was founded on puritanical values (killing people = okay, nudity = satan), so assuming it'll be legal that soon is probably off target.

It would probably lead to a decrease in crime and massive increase in tax revenue (and ease hospitals and police depts), but humans are more emotional than logical and there's still a strong family values vote out there that'd be against it, citing increased vechile accidents due to pot (which would be true), etc. there's be a decrease in deaths associated with drug trafficking etc though that'd probably be greater though, and economically there's no strong arguement against it except for the lobbying of competing corporations (beer, tobacco, etc).
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36630 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25