Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Tiered minimum wage?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #31
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
If a person has worked for 7 years and are making min wage then it is something they are doing wrong. Like not keeping a job, calls in sick all the time, does not even try at all, etc. Did you know that only 17% of people in poverty have a full time jobs so that means that 83% don't even work over 40 hours a week. I bet you cannot find me one person that has worked hard at a job for over a year and is making min wage that is just not the problem.
I don't disagree. My point is that people who just dropped out of high school and started on minimum wage 7 years ago had a better standard of living than the people who are just dropping out of high school and starting out on minimum wage today.

That ain't right.

The world is 14.8% more expensive to live in today than it was 7 years ago. There needs to be an adustment made. It's not a boost by any means, it's just to get them back to where they were 7 years ago.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #32
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

PS If anybody did not get cost of living increases to help your salary keep pace with inflation, then your employer is doing you a disservice in my opinion. It doesn't matter if you are minimum wage or if you're making $200K a year. Everyone should be getting 2% raises per year just to keep pace with inflation.

Any % increase beyond that should be merit based.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

I didn't even get a 1% percent raise last year. I expressed my opinion during the yearly review about that. Two months later 35 employees were layed off, mostly irrelevant and overpaid territory sales staff. So, I decided to give them another chance...
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #34
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I don't disagree. My point is that people who just dropped out of high school and started on minimum wage 7 years ago had a better standard of living than the people who are just dropping out of high school and starting out on minimum wage today.

That ain't right.

The world is 14.8% more expensive to live in today than it was 7 years ago. There needs to be an adustment made. It's not a boost by any means, it's just to get them back to where they were 7 years ago.
What isn't right is that they dropped out of high school. That tells me they are lazy and not willing to finish their job. They know when dropping out that they are going to have a tough time making a living so thats a poor argument,
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #35
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
What isn't right is that they dropped out of high school. That tells me they are lazy and not willing to finish their job. They know when dropping out that they are going to have a tough time making a living so thats a poor argument,
So you're saying today's high school dropouts are worth 14.8% less than the high school dropouts from 7 years ago?

I'd strongly disagree. I'd say they're equally worthless. But since this country has a minimum wage (in place to prevent crime), they need to keep it's value consistent with the rising cost of living.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #36
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
I didn't even get a 1% percent raise last year. I expressed my opinion during the yearly review about that. Two months later 35 employees were layed off, mostly irrelevant and overpaid territory sales staff. So, I decided to give them another chance...
One of the problems with corporations is they get too big for their britches when they're having success. They starting hiring all kinds of people, a lot of the time less-deserving folks. Then when the business doesn't do as well, they have to make cuts, and that affects the solid employees as well, which is some bullhooey.

I wouldn't stick around somewhere for too long if the company couldn't even muster a 2% cost of living raise.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #37
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
What isn't right is that they dropped out of high school. That tells me they are lazy and not willing to finish their job. They know when dropping out that they are going to have a tough time making a living so thats a poor argument,
A friend of mine dropped out of high school in order to get a job (minimum wage) so that he wouldn't have to remain under his physically abusive dad's roof any longer than he had to. Laziness is one of last words you would use to describe him. There are more reasons than "laziness" why someone would drop out of high school.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #38
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
So you're saying today's high school dropouts are worth 14.8% less than the high school dropouts from 7 years ago?

I'd strongly disagree. I'd say they're equally worthless. But since this country has a minimum wage (in place to prevent crime), they need to keep it's value consistent with the rising cost of living.
Where is it said that they have a minimum wage to help fight crime? The reason was to set a small standard at which an employer must pay an employee. I guess what I have been trying to say is if you have a good work ethic the pay will come and that mimum wage should not be an issue. As I asked in an ealier post find me a hard worker who has worked for a year and is making minmum wage. I just know to many business owners that are willing to pay good wages but cannot find good employees and they all say that is a problem they all have. Of those business owners I know most are willing to hire hard working dropouts and most start at around $8.00 to $10.00 an hour but they still have problems finding good workers. Next time you are at a business such as a fast food resturant just look at how the employees just don't care and this helps to explain why they make so little.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #39
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,237
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

You have to remember also that not all areas of the country are like the Northern Virginia / Maryland area. Go up to Flint Michigan and try to find a job. You simply can't. That turns into a vicious circle. You can't get a job, so you can't afford to move away to a more expensive area.

Just because someone doesn't have a college diploma, do they deserve to be trash? I worked at a job where a lot of employees made 10 bucks an hour and under. Most of these people were extremely hard working, they'd put in more than their share of time, and deserved much more than they were given. They need to have a living wage, not a minimum wage.

By the way. If there's a family in poverty and if they have a child, they can only afford for one of the family members to work. The cost of child care is so high that you have to make 11 bucks an hour, 40 hours a week, in order for you to make any money after the cost of child care. That's a reason why a lot of single mothers get stuck on welfare. I know we had a single mother who was on welfare come to work with us, and she wanted nothing more than to work, but she couldn't afford it. Once her child was enrolled in school, she started to work.

Pegging everyone not making a huge living as "lazy" is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard in my life. Some people get put into bad situations, and many of us here have the families that can help us if we get into a rut? Some people don't have any sort of safety net. Hell, just getting sick for a month without insurance could put you in such a world of financial hurt you may never be able to recover.

I think we should look at some of the ways our country spends money, and think about how we could spend that better at home. The military is a double edged sword. Their budget is ridiculously huge, but they create a lot of jobs for some of the lower class we're talking about.

There are tons of places we could find money and get our standard of living into the top 20 again. We need to start looking at ourselves, and let other countries deal with themselves (within reason, of course)
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #40
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
You have to remember also that not all areas of the country are like the Northern Virginia / Maryland area. Go up to Flint Michigan and try to find a job. You simply can't. That turns into a vicious circle. You can't get a job, so you can't afford to move away to a more expensive area.

Just because someone doesn't have a college diploma, do they deserve to be trash? I worked at a job where a lot of employees made 10 bucks an hour and under. Most of these people were extremely hard working, they'd put in more than their share of time, and deserved much more than they were given. They need to have a living wage, not a minimum wage.

By the way. If there's a family in poverty and if they have a child, they can only afford for one of the family members to work. The cost of child care is so high that you have to make 11 bucks an hour, 40 hours a week, in order for you to make any money after the cost of child care. That's a reason why a lot of single mothers get stuck on welfare. I know we had a single mother who was on welfare come to work with us, and she wanted nothing more than to work, but she couldn't afford it. Once her child was enrolled in school, she started to work.

Pegging everyone not making a huge living as "lazy" is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard in my life. Some people get put into bad situations, and many of us here have the families that can help us if we get into a rut? Some people don't have any sort of safety net. Hell, just getting sick for a month without insurance could put you in such a world of financial hurt you may never be able to recover.

I think we should look at some of the ways our country spends money, and think about how we could spend that better at home. The military is a double edged sword. Their budget is ridiculously huge, but they create a lot of jobs for some of the lower class we're talking about.

There are tons of places we could find money and get our standard of living into the top 20 again. We need to start looking at ourselves, and let other countries deal with themselves (within reason, of course)
I did not say people not making very much money are lazy. I said that most people that have been in the work place and are only making Min wage are probably lazy and do not work hard enough to even advance past min wage. Yes there are areas where there are no jobs but that is the exception and not the rule. As I said in an earlier post try and find one hard worker making min. wage. Its hard to do becasue they advance to a higher pay because the employer does not want to loose them. Its harder to replace a hard worker than to just increase their pay which most employers know.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #41
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
One of the problems with corporations is they get too big for their britches when they're having success. They starting hiring all kinds of people, a lot of the time less-deserving folks. Then when the business doesn't do as well, they have to make cuts, and that affects the solid employees as well, which is some bullhooey.

I wouldn't stick around somewhere for too long if the company couldn't even muster a 2% cost of living raise.
Just got my review today...3 1/2% increase. Whoo-hoo! I'm going to Sizzlin'.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #42
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Let's see what happens when the Senate gets a hold of this...


'100 hours': House passes minimum wage hike - CNN.com
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #43
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

democrats doing the right thing
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #44
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,479
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

President Bush has come out and said that he doesn't like the bill because it doesn't do enough to support Small Business...I smell veto.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: Tiered minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I think we should look at some of the ways our country spends money, and think about how we could spend that better at home. The military is a double edged sword. Their budget is ridiculously huge, but they create a lot of jobs for some of the lower class we're talking about.
Absolutely. Did you know that we spent over $400 billion dollars on defense alone in 2004? Did you know that our defense budget is more than double the defense budget of the entire rest of the world COMBINED? That means that if we cut our defense budget in half we'd have over $200 billion more dollars each year -- and we'd still have a defense budget larger than the rest of the world combined. Our budget and priorities are seriously flawed. It's like America is full of scared pussies, so we have to spend astronomical amounts of money to "protect" us.

Also, do you remember when the Iraq war started Congress passed $75 billion dollars in a week? What a mockery of the system. We can push through that much money for war in a week, but we can't improve healthcare and education over the course of several years?

I'll tell you one thing: I'm not scared of ANY terrorists -- I'm scared of the government.

Budget of the United States Government, FY 2006
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31533 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25