Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


An Inconvenient Truth

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #106
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,369
Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I prefer the "We raised your rate because we hate you" explanation.
Well, that is the REAL reason rates go up. The fine print on those notification letters actual says "Muhahahaaaa" but you need a magnifying glass to read it.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #107
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,069
Re: An Inconvenient Truth

I think it is important to understand what you are getting from an insurance company.

You are NOT getting a service by which they will pony up for the items covered in your policy. This is a direct action CAUSED by their service. What you are really buying is their backup. IE: you are paying for them to sit there and be ready and able to pay for your covered expenses. If you never make a claim you still received their service because their service wasn't the paying of claims it was the readiness and ability to do so.

To say people have paid for years and then wrongly lost their policies is to infer that the insurance company owes them because of all the money they paid without getting a service, when in reality they already received the service they were supposed to receive.

Otherwise it seems you want insurance to be more like an investment where people pay in and if they don't make a claim then the insurance company stills owes you a service since you have been banking premiums for years.

That's not what insurance is. It is a subtle but very important distinction.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #108
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 36
Posts: 8,737
Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
My only real point is in the Health Ins market. That point is, that it is rife with ambiguity, and predatory sales techniques. Between the insurance companies, the physicians, the hospitals, etc, the truth of a matter can no longer be determined. Ask a question to all concerned, get numerous different answers. Conclusion....................it's a mess
I've seen a number of posts from you now that make these general, finger-pointing statements, but you bring no specifics to the table.

When you say predatory sales techniques, what are you talking about? Can you give an example?

And when you say "rife with ambiguity", is the problem maybe that you don't understand what is driving the higher costs of medical care, and consequently the reasons for rising costs seem "ambiguous" to you?
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #109
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,959
Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think it is important to understand what you are getting from an insurance company.

You are NOT getting a service by which they will pony up for the items covered in your policy. This is a direct action CAUSED by their service. What you are really buying is their backup. IE: you are paying for them to sit there and be ready and able to pay for your covered expenses. If you never make a claim you still received their service because their service wasn't the paying of claims it was the readiness and ability to do so.

To say people have paid for years and then wrongly lost their policies is to infer that the insurance company owes them because of all the money they paid without getting a service, when in reality they already received the service they were supposed to receive.

Otherwise it seems you want insurance to be more like an investment where people pay in and if they don't make a claim then the insurance company stills owes you a service since you have been banking premiums for years.

That's not what insurance is. It is a subtle but very important distinction.
While the legality has never been an issue. Their legal ability to exit the state is not an issue. My ability to understand.............their desire to bail out of the state, subtle or not is not the issue. The insurance companies were VERY eager to collect the premiums, and associated profits when it was EASY. When the going got tuff....they were just as eager to bail. There is no misunderstanding regarding what services are offered, and recieved (actually used or not).
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #110
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,959
Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I've seen a number of posts from you now that make these general, finger-pointing statements, but you bring no specifics to the table.

When you say predatory sales techniques, what are you talking about? Can you give an example?

And when you say "rife with ambiguity", is the problem maybe that you don't understand what is driving the higher costs of medical care, and consequently the reasons for rising costs seem "ambiguous" to you?
What is your understanding as to what is driving the higher cost of health care?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #111
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,069
Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
While the legality has never been an issue. Their legal ability to exit the state is not an issue. My ability to understand.............their desire to bail out of the state, subtle or not is not the issue. The insurance companies were VERY eager to collect the premiums, and associated profits when it was EASY. When the going got tuff....they were just as eager to bail. There is no misunderstanding regarding what services are offered, and recieved (actually used or not).
Would you stay in business to lose money? I doubt it. Why would they continue to insure people who are almost guaranteed to make them lose money? That doesn't make sense.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #112
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,069
Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
What is your understanding as to what is driving the higher cost of health care?
I think it is because everything involved with health care costs a alot. It costs a lot for doctors and nurses to become doctors and nurses. It costs a lot for them to be insure to be doctors and nurses. It costs a lot to develop, test and have new drugs authorized. It costs a lot to operate a hostpital. It costs a lot to do everything because we have the most technologically advanced health care system in the world. If we can figure out a way to make all aspect sof it cheaper then maybe we'll have a chance.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.23640 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25