Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Here Goes Nothing ...

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #46
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,479
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Again, I don't have anything to add besides a comment. I think it's a lot on the insane side that people can be convinced to kill their countrymen over the slight difference between Shia and Sunni. That's like Methodists fighting Baptists. While one might argue that even a minute difference in a religion is HUGE to each side, it's still a LOT of crazy and not worth killing over.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #47
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Again, I don't have anything to add besides a comment. I think it's a lot on the insane side that people can be convinced to kill their countrymen over the slight difference between Shia and Sunni. That's like Methodists fighting Baptists. While one might argue that even a minute difference in a religion is HUGE to each side, it's still a LOT of crazy and not worth killing over.
Seriously. What is even sadder is that we watch music videos here, in Iraq videos of beheadings, attacks on Iraqi Police and U.S. forces, and other generally sadistic sh-t are extremely marketable. When you're country is getting its rocks off on beheadings, you know you're headed straight down the toilet. If you have ever seen one of those videos, you will think very differently about what kind of enemy we are facing and how far we have to go to turn the place into a stable democracy.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #48
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,255
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Again, I don't have anything to add besides a comment. I think it's a lot on the insane side that people can be convinced to kill their countrymen over the slight difference between Shia and Sunni. That's like Methodists fighting Baptists. While one might argue that even a minute difference in a religion is HUGE to each side, it's still a LOT of crazy and not worth killing over.
tell that to the people of ireland :/.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #49
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,479
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Oh, I've seen one. One of my buddies is extremely traumatized from being over there and came to my house one day showing me that shit. I almost puked from one of them.

There is NO regard for human life.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #50
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,479
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
tell that to the people of ireland :/.
That was the one I was thinking of as a possible exception. STILL though, that can be said for a lot of religions in the past. Catholics and Protestants have largely different beliefs when you look at sub groups.

Shia and Sunni are subgroups of Islam, and yet those minute differences are enough to feel justified in blowing up yourself, innocents and more.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #51
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Oh, I've seen one. One of my buddies is extremely traumatized from being over there and came to my house one day showing me that shit. I almost puked from one of them.

There is NO regard for human life.
Yup. I made the mistake of watching ONE video and I will never watch another. I also had the misfortune of reading the NYT article about how the citizens of Fallujah burned some U.S. contractors and hung their bodies from strings on a bridge. Those people (obviously the insurgents and some of their sympathizers and not all Iraqis) have SERIOUS issues that will never be resolved.

I used to laugh at my girlfriend's brother when he referred to terrorist-types as "barbarians." He sounded like a 5 year old by using such a word to actually describe people. Let's just say that I'm not laughing anymore.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #52
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,479
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Yeah, I saw that on TV. It also showed children stomping the bodies and spitting on them.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #53
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I have a question for anyone to answer:

So a lot of people think it is almost comical that the Bush administration has failed to recognize that Iraq is in the midst of a full-blown civil war. I certainly agree that Iraq is in a full-blown civil war (albeit one international actors on both sides). Iraq's civil war consists of ethnic cleansing on highest scale - Shia killing Sunni, Sunni killing Shia, neighborhoods being "cleansed," etc. However, isn't this the same kind of civil war that many wanted us to get involved in in Rwanda, Bosnia, and Kosovo? If so, what accounts for saying that we should get out of Iraq because they are in a civil war and saying that we should get involved in those other places?
i think the one major difference between Iraq and kosovo is that the united states pretty much created the mess that Iraq is right now. it was almost like stepping on a bees nest. we really stirred all the nuts up. i know one thing, there sure is alot more hatred in the world against the united states since we invaded Iraq
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #54
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Yeah, I saw that on TV. It also showed children stomping the bodies and spitting on them.
Didn't see that, I just read the article in the NYT. The only video I saw was of people dragging the bodies of U.S. troops through the streets, little kids holding AK-47s cheering and yelling "Allah Akbar" (God is great), the Iraqis cutting off the soldiers' heads while again yelling "Allah Akbar," and proceeding to flay open the chests of the soldiers. Needless to say, I never watched another video.

I didn't even want to go near the videos of the insurgents cutting off the heads of various contractors, journalists, and aid workers. I did, however, watch some video clips from Al Jazeera showing some "scholars intelligently discussing" whether it was right or wrong to kill such non-combatants. As you might expect, the consensus was (a) it was sad, but okay because these people were part of an occupying force, and (b) America is bad and the root of all evil.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #55
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i think the one major differece between iraq and kosovo is that the united states pretty much created the mess that iraq is right now. it was almost like stepping on a bees nest. we really stirred all the nuts up. i know one thing, there sure is alot more hatred in the world against the united states since we invaded iraq
We certainly screwed up in Iraq, but that doesn't really answer the question about what to do in the future. The problems in Kosovo etc. and Iraq and very similar but, for unknown reasons, people think that we should address such problems by intervening in the former cases and withdrawing in the latter cases.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #56
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

There are still people in this country who can remember a time when certain regions of this country had fellow countrymen killing fellow countrymen all because the pigmentation of their skin was darker. Even today you'll find trace elements of groups who still think this barbarically.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #57
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
There are still people in this country who can remember a time when certain regions of this country had fellow countrymen killing fellow countrymen all because the pigmentation of their skin was darker. Even today you'll find trace elements of groups who still think this barbarically.
But the difference is that here, when a guy (e.g., Byrd) is dragged behind a truck because of the color of his skin, the country gasps. In Iraq, videos of beheadings and torture are top-selling hits.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #58
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
But the difference is that here, when a guy (e.g., Byrd) is dragged behind a truck because of the color of his skin, the country gasps. In Iraq, videos of beheadings and torture are top-selling hits.

Yeah, I know. Good thing the Internet wasn't around 50+ years ago.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #59
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,008
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I have a question for anyone to answer:

So a lot of people think it is almost comical that the Bush administration has failed to recognize that Iraq is in the midst of a full-blown civil war. I certainly agree that Iraq is in a full-blown civil war (albeit one international actors on both sides). Iraq's civil war consists of ethnic cleansing on highest scale - Shia killing Sunni, Sunni killing Shia, neighborhoods being "cleansed," etc. However, isn't this the same kind of civil war that many wanted us to get involved in in Rwanda, Bosnia, and Kosovo? If so, what accounts for saying that we should get out of Iraq because they are in a civil war and saying that we should get involved in those other places?
To my knowledge Rwanda, Bosnia, and Kosova neither had the desire nor the wherewithal to cleanse the planet of infidels, starting with the USA. Obviously, factions in this current action have demonstrated differently. Our own survival as we know it, may in some ways hinge on what the outcome is in Iraq
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #60
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,255
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
To my knowledge Rwanda, Bosnia, and Kosova neither had the desire nor the wherewithal to cleanse the planet of infidels, starting with the USA. Obviously, factions in this current action have demonstrated differently. Our own survival as we know it, may in some ways hinge on what the outcome is in Iraq
actually, it probably won't. after the invasion, the various middle-eastern states and factions didn't unify against america, they starting infighting amongst themselves. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to pull out and just hope everything works itself out, cause that's just not likely, but it's probably not entirely fire and brimstone for the world either way.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29950 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25