Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Here Goes Nothing ...

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #61
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

I know it's really cynical, but after 9/11 when the Iraq crisis was heating up, I thought we should have told Saddam, "Let's let bygones be bygones and cooperate. You don't like the Islamic radicals and neither do we. Maybe we can do business again." He was a really bad guy, but the Islamic militants are worse.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #62
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,200
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
actually, it probably won't. after the invasion, the various middle-eastern states and factions didn't unify against america, they starting infighting amongst themselves. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to pull out and just hope everything works itself out, cause that's just not likely, but it's probably not entirely fire and brimstone for the world either way.
While I realize they did not unify against the US.
It is generally, if not universally accepted that the countries in question, harbor, if not support those groups that have, and are targeting the US, and it's allies. These groups make no attempt to disguise their intentions as a whole.
From that standpoint, it benefits us to maintain a presence in the region, and thus a force in an outcome, that we can............"live" with. If we adopt a wait and see, non-interference policy, we may well be inviting a host of 9-11 style incidents
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #63
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,200
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Bacon..................hmmm. Is there anything it cannot fix???????
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #64
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,997
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskinsfan View Post
I have the key to peace in the Middle East. The key gentlemen is so simple, yet so beautiful. The key will bring the Jews, Muslims and Christians all together as one. The key will certainly make all of radical Islam realize that, at least some of what they have been taught, is wrong. Yes gentlemen, the key to peace in our lifetime is.......BACON. If we could just get the radical Islamists and Jews to try a wonderful few pieces of thick cut bacon, then they would realize that we all do have something in common. BACON=PEACE. Think about it.
But isn't the fact that neither Jews nor Muslims actually eat bacon mean that they have at least something in common?

If you had said pie, I think we'd all be in agreement.
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #65
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,563
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I know it's really cynical, but after 9/11 when the Iraq crisis was heating up, I thought we should have told Saddam, "Let's let bygones be bygones and cooperate. You don't like the Islamic radicals and neither do we. Maybe we can do business again." He was a really bad guy, but the Islamic militants are worse.
That would be nice in a perfect world, but can you imagine the diplomatic crises that would ensue from nations like Kuwait and Saudi Arabia?
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #66
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,997
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Plus, I got the feeling that Bush wasn't the biggest Saddam fan out there.

Although, I do understand what you are saying SGG. It seems like most Iraqis, even those who were borderline fanatical, were so afraid of Saddam's secret police that they would have never dared to meet up to plan out bombing campaigns or kidnappings.
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #67
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,563
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

So I think it would be safe to say that we have emboldened the insurgence mainly because we don't employ tactics used by dictators like him (at least out in the open).
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #68
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

I've read alot of these post but not all and have seen some good stuff and some stuff that just not true. They did find links between Sadam and Al Queda (spelling) which is fact and I'm not talking about 9/11 just some links between them. Yes they did not agree with each other but did have a common hate for us. This War has not gone as bad as is reported by our media because it only focus is on what has gone wrong. One American life is too many but we have cities were more poeple have died from guns than we have lost in Iraq. Mistakes have been made but that happens in all wars and it tough because it is human lives we are dealing with. We cannot have a time table for withdraw (or not one that is public) that would tell the insurgancy just to sit back and wait until we leave. I'm not sure how we are going to exit but we have to get the Iraq people ready so we can get the heck out. Most od Iraq is living in peace and are happy that we are there but we never see that in our daily news its only the violance. That is a shame that our own news seems to ignor what the troops have accomplished and only focus on whats wrong and the few bad apples we have serving us over there. Lets just hope they are coming home ASAP and may god keep them safe.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #69
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
While I realize they did not unify against the US.
It is generally, if not universally accepted that the countries in question, harbor, if not support those groups that have, and are targeting the US, and it's allies. These groups make no attempt to disguise their intentions as a whole.
From that standpoint, it benefits us to maintain a presence in the region, and thus a force in an outcome, that we can............"live" with. If we adopt a wait and see, non-interference policy, we may well be inviting a host of 9-11 style incidents
i don't disagree with that. right now we have much more military freedom in afghanistan and iraq and more leverage on pakistan to deal with such groups than we did before.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #70
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

not to argue , but... how do you know any of this? have you been there? im not sure why some people think that all media is 100% against president bush. now, if you told some of them have an agenda because they are tired of being lied to, and everything being hush hush, i would agree. there has to be a timetable( i agree, not public) because if you cant see the finish line, you never really started
this is a response to firstdowns post
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #71
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

well, in this area there's lot of military families, mine being one, and you hear from first and second hand sources (military that have been there) that it's not as bad as the media says, and the iraqi blogs (by iraqis living in iraq) seem to share the same comments.

not that most of iraq is peaceful, just that it's not as bad as reported.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #72
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,221
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

I don't think Americans can take the morale high ground about not getting kicks watching people die. What country televises high speed car chases which generally end in death or at least lots of destruction, who gets people gathered around a chair to watch someone have thousands of volts sent through their body? Americans and Christians (if we want to make this a religious thing) have long histories of watching death and torture for fun, closure, whatever.

As far as the kids spitting and such on bodies. Granted, Saddam killed a lot of people, but we are seen as the aggressor, and I can understand it. These kids, many growing up seeing much of the violence that we've seemingly brought to the nation that wasn't in every day view before. They see death every day, their idea of a good day is not having to bury a family member who dies from useless violence, a random car bomb aimed at US soldiers. While I'm not standing up for Saddam, he was an awful human being. From what I understand, his killings weren't exactly random. Don't piss Saddam off, stay alive. I'm not sure on that, just how it was explained to me and from the bit of reading I've done on it.

As far as papers not reporting positive news. They do. But saying everything is fine and well isn't a headline. Would you buy a paper that said "EVERYTHING'S OKAY!" Also, negative events come in one big splash. BOOM, something bad happened. Everything being okay is a gradual process. It's not that papers get in their meetings and say "Okay, we need to find a way to make this look bad!"
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #73
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I don't think Americans can take the morale high ground about not getting kicks watching people die. What country televises high speed car chases which generally end in death or at least lots of destruction, who gets people gathered around a chair to watch someone have thousands of volts sent through their body? Americans and Christians (if we want to make this a religious thing) have long histories of watching death and torture for fun, closure, whatever.

As far as the kids spitting and such on bodies. Granted, Saddam killed a lot of people, but we are seen as the aggressor, and I can understand it. These kids, many growing up seeing much of the violence that we've seemingly brought to the nation that wasn't in every day view before. They see death every day, their idea of a good day is not having to bury a family member who dies from useless violence, a random car bomb aimed at US soldiers. While I'm not standing up for Saddam, he was an awful human being. From what I understand, his killings weren't exactly random. Don't piss Saddam off, stay alive. I'm not sure on that, just how it was explained to me and from the bit of reading I've done on it.

As far as papers not reporting positive news. They do. But saying everything is fine and well isn't a headline. Would you buy a paper that said "EVERYTHING'S OKAY!" Also, negative events come in one big splash. BOOM, something bad happened. Everything being okay is a gradual process. It's not that papers get in their meetings and say "Okay, we need to find a way to make this look bad!"
Find me a couple positive main stream media reports on the war. I mean stuff the average American will see or hear. CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and I bet you end up using FOX news as the only one giving anything positive. I don't think they get in the room and only look for bad but there is plenty of good that they must ignor. Your stuff about the kids spitting that going way back when the war started. How come they don't show the troops in a positive light that goes on in over 90% of the country. We only get what happens in a very small area of Iraq.Yes, the media looks for stuff to bash the president for and it has shown itsself again in the firing of those 9 judges which they are making such a big deal about. Clinton fired 94 judges in one day and had travel gate which the News did not feel was important so why is this? Oh, and those 94 judges are allot more than the 9 that Bush Admin. fired and they do not even have to have a reason to let them go.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #74
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I don't think Americans can take the morale high ground about not getting kicks watching people die. What country televises high speed car chases which generally end in death or at least lots of destruction, who gets people gathered around a chair to watch someone have thousands of volts sent through their body? Americans and Christians (if we want to make this a religious thing) have long histories of watching death and torture for fun, closure, whatever.
I didn't mean to imply that we Americans, Christians, etc. do not find fascination with violence, car accidents, etc. But there's a big difference between the kind of violence we watch (e.g., Jerry Bruckheimer films or Cops) and the kind of violence large segments of the Iraqi populace indulge in (e.g., an innocent journalist's head is slowly sawed off with a knife). It's a matter of degree; watching "The Terminator" is different from watching what amounts to a snuff film from Baghdad.

*I obviously am not saying that all Iraqis, Muslims, Middle Easterners, etc. indulge in such sadistic stuff. I am positive that the majority of Iraqis, Muslims, etc. do not agree with such violence, want to live in peace, and raise nice families just like you and I.

As for the news reporting, I don't understand how you say that news agencies do report positive stories about Iraq and then turn around and say that positive stories don't sell papers and that positive stories are not as easy to report as bad ones since progress occurs over time.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:59 PM   #75
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,221
Re: Here Goes Nothing ...

Quote:
As for the news reporting, I don't understand how you say that news agencies do report positive stories about Iraq and then turn around and say that positive stories don't sell papers and that positive stories are not as easy to report as bad ones since progress occurs over time.
Sorry, I was a bit out of it when I posted. What I was trying to convey is that they are reported, they just aren't front page reports. Firstdown, a majority of Americans don't read and watch the news for what, 30 minutes a day? There's not really enough time. If you really want me to dig through The Washington Post, NY Times, etc, etc I will. They aren't front page stories, but they are there.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35432 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25