Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,841
John McCain: What Went Wrong?

John McCain gone insane? He ventured 3 miles from the green zone accompanied by an armada yet he's claiming some neighborhoods in Iraq are safe?

I want to smoke whatever he's smoking. Seriously, I wouldn't dip my toe in Iraq let alone step foot on it.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-03-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,504
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

while i wouldnt vote for mccain, i used to respect him. he had his views, and stuck to them. now, he is like everyone else. whatever he thinks the voters want to hear is what he says
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/wo...mccain.html?hp

Iraqi merchants from that same market disagree with McCain's assessment.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Playmaker
 
BrudLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 3,494
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

McCain's problem is that he's raising funds much slower than anticipated. (He wants to be Hillary, he's looking like Biden). So he's running towards headlines to raise his profile.
__________________
There's nowhere to go but up. Or down. I guess we could stay where we are, too.
BrudLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,453
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

I was floored when he said conditions in Iraq are improving. When is someone going to step up to the damn plate and say we're screwed, bring our boys home.

He should just throw in the towel at this point.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 49
Posts: 15,818
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/wo...mccain.html?hp

Iraqi merchants from that same market disagree with McCain's assessment.
Funny how it seems that the New York Times will go out of its way to do anything to make this administration look bad. Every other report I have seen has things getting better but it can always be better. I'm sure if I was a merchant that has been involved in attacks it will take a long time to ever feel safe again. To make an issue because of his security is stupid because if he is seen he becomes a very very high target for insurgents so it has to be done. Just look at how we protect a president here in our own country.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,453
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Funny how it seems that the New York Times will go out of its way to do anything to make this administration look bad. Every other report I have seen has things getting better but it can always be better. I'm sure if I was a merchant that has been involved in attacks it will take a long time to ever feel safe again. To make an issue because of his security is stupid because if he is seen he becomes a very very high target for insurgents so it has to be done. Just look at how we protect a president here in our own country.
I hear what you're saying First, but the same day McCain made that statement 6 soldiers were killed. People here in the U.S. aren't looking at progress in terms of the quality of life for Iraquis, they're measuring it by how many of our boys killed on a daily basis.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,438
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Funny how it seems that the New York Times will go out of its way to do anything to make this administration look bad.
How far out of the way do they really have to go though?

This admin. has done a fine job all by itself of making themselves look bad.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 49
Posts: 15,818
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I here what you're saying First, but the same day McCain made that statement 6 soldiers were killed. People here in the U.S. aren't looking at progress in terms of the quality of life for Iraquis, they're measuring it by how many of our boys killed on a daily basis.
I understand that, its the way the paper seems to go out of its way to find anything negative to report. Where is the out cry from them about our cities that have a higher American murder rate than in a war zone? The lose of any of these young men is one to many but we have even a worse problem in many of our own cities. Maybe its because they are run by democate mayors? Who knows. I'd love to see our guys come home today but that not going to happen. While they are there we need to give them the support they need amd not all of this everyday negative stuff we get from the news. If people don't think all this negative reporting does not embolding the enimy they are crazy. They know what is reported and it gives them even more hope that we Americans will give up the fight. Its well known that the leaders of the insugency say that America is weak and will give up the fight before they do. Leaving us exposed to even more violence. Believe in the war or not we have to keep tings more positive. Just talk to our local service men in our area and they are all sick of what they hear day in and day out from our news and media.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Funny how it seems that the New York Times will go out of its way to do anything to make this administration look bad. Every other report I have seen has things getting better but it can always be better. I'm sure if I was a merchant that has been involved in attacks it will take a long time to ever feel safe again. To make an issue because of his security is stupid because if he is seen he becomes a very very high target for insurgents so it has to be done. Just look at how we protect a president here in our own country.
I'm not sure I see your point. It seems like only yesterday that the Times was going out of its way to hype the administration's case for war on it's front pages, while burying articles skeptical of WMD claims at the back of the paper. But that notwithstanding, McCain's point in this specific instance is idiotic. There are not areas in Baghdad in which western politicians can safely walk. That is something that is contradicted by a more than the NYTimes, including most recently and most specifically by retired four star general Barry McCaffrey who said: "[N]o Iraqi government official, coalition soldier, diplomat, reporter, foreign NGO [nongovernmental organization], nor contractor can walk the streets of Baghdad, nor Mosul, nor Kirkuk, nor Basra, nor Tikrit, nor Najaf, nor Ramadi, without heavily armed protection." Source, McCaffrey Paints Gloomy Picture of Iraq - washingtonpost.com

Moreover, if you are suggesting that somehow these merchants don't understand the situation completely (and I'm not sure that you are, I am just trying to understand your point) that would be a tad bit patronizing.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,438
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

The NYT is definitely as lefty as can be, but this admin has dug their own hole. I find it hard to feel sorry for them.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,178
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Strangely firstdown, the few folks I know in the military told me how low morale was. One was on the Afghanistan/Pakistan border in firefights every night. Said morale was ass, a common question was why are we still here. Luckily he's home now. Another family member went to Iraq for two tours in a amphibious vehicle and said the morale wasn't great.

There's a big difference between supporting a war and supporting the troops. I don't think anyone seriously doesn't support our troops. For the most part they do what they're told. Unless they torture criminals like that one ugly bitch who made them stand in a pyramid and shit (who should go to jail for 30+ years, all of them) I've seen nothing but respect for the soldiers.

It's real American for us to say "They're there. Just deal with it and don't report how many people die per day." There was a large sect of people during the American Revolution that was too worried about hurting Britain's feelings and didn't want to cause any trouble. Who hated publications such as Common Sense. Glad we didn't listen to them, and I hope we don't listen to them again. You can't force 'freedom' on people. If people want freedom and ask for help, fine. We'll be seen as nothing but oppressors and destroyers as long as we're there. The quicker we realize that the better.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,453
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I understand that, its the way the paper seems to go out of its way to find anything negative to report. Where is the out cry from them about our cities that have a higher American murder rate than in a war zone? The lose of any of these young men is one to many but we have even a worse problem in many of our own cities. Maybe its because they are run by democate mayors? Who knows. I'd love to see our guys come home today but that not going to happen. While they are there we need to give them the support they need amd not all of this everyday negative stuff we get from the news. If people don't think all this negative reporting does not embolding the enimy they are crazy. They know what is reported and it gives them even more hope that we Americans will give up the fight. Its well known that the leaders of the insugency say that America is weak and will give up the fight before they do. Leaving us exposed to even more violence. Believe in the war or not we have to keep tings more positive. Just talk to our local service men in our area and they are all sick of what they hear day in and day out from our news and media.
Hey, I grew up in the inner city of D.C. during the 80s and then went off to the first Gulf War a couple of years after high school. I spent 4 yrs on a Naval vessel which was deployed to the Persian Gulf. So you're preaching to the choir on the murder rate of our inner cities vs. the virtues of fighting a war.

I probably know of more 'street casualties' than I really care to talk about. But your point is certainly well taken. It's just that we live in a culture that, unfortunately, places a premium on what's news worthy and what isn't.

I feel your passion, bro, I really do. But there are no real positives in war. The events of 9/11 made our country very emotional and we stood behind President Bush 110% when he declared war on Iraq. And for the most part, even when things began to unravel, we still said, let's do the patriotic thing and support our leader. However, at some point reason and blind loyalty have to give way to truth and facts. Now that the facts have surfaced little by little, the media now feels justified in taking shots at Bush and his cabinet. People that stood with him in the beginning are now distancing themselves from him. They now stand in stark contrast to the individuals that 'went to war' with Bush in the beginning.

The media, in many cases, are simply echoing what's coming out of Bush's own house, so to speak.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,841
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Iraq was a war the first 15 days and after the first few days it became a quagmire. I fail to see how we can possibly "win" this "war."
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 49
Posts: 15,818
Re: John McCain: What Went Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Hey, I grew up in the inner city of D.C. during the 80s and then went off to the first Gulf War a couple of years after high school. I spent 4 yrs on a Naval vessel which was deployed to the Persian Gulf. So you're preaching to the choir on the murder rate of our inner cities vs. the virtues of fighting a war.

I probably know of more 'street casualties' than I really care to talk about. But your point is certainly well taken. It's just that we live in a culture that, unfortunately, places a premium on what's news worthy and what isn't.

I feel your passion, bro, I really do. But there are no real positives in war. The events of 9/11 made our country very emotional and we stood behind President Bush 110% when he declared war on Iraq. And for the most part, even when things began to unravel, we still said, let's do the patriotic thing and support our leader. However, at some point reason and blind loyalty have to give way to truth and facts. Now that the facts have surfaced little by little, the media now feels justified in taking shots at Bush and his cabinet. People that stood with him in the beginning are now distancing themselves from him. They now stand in stark contrast to the individuals that 'went to war' with Bush in the beginning.

The media, in many cases, are simply echoing what's coming out of Bush's own house, so to speak.
I'm not saying in any ways to give the administration a free ride but bashing everthing that goes on is not good for us or the troops. Yes not many positives in any war but as in most bad situations there are always so many good stories of man helping man etc... When was the last time that anything positive was reported about Iraq, schools opening, the other 90% of Iraq (not Bagdad) where people are living normal lives etc... Its just not fair to our troops to leave out all the positive stories and its human nature to feel good about yourself when you hear positive thing on what your doing. I'm not sying ignore the negative stuff but just give us some balance to the story.

Deseal, i have a very large military customer base and live beside a home rented to four guys with a total of 10 tours over there. All seem pretty positive and yes I have heard some negative stuff. The guys next door all hate the media's reporting and say that its a very common feeling among the troops. I had this issue before on this site and I think (it was you) who was surprised by stuff I linked because the media gave such a negative view.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31758 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25