Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Legalize it!

Parking Lot


View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legal?
Yes 42 60.87%
No 27 39.13%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #76
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,872
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
The reason is because we as Americans enjoy drinking. There is a reason the only amendment overturned EVER is prohibition. We as Americans enjoy civil liberties that let us make decisions. That's what being "free" is all about. The problem is where to draw the line, and where to take destructive decisions away from society.

Ultimately, I really find it hard to believe that legalizing something like marijuana is that destructive. There is no reason that it should be illegal (pending a substance/driving policy), and quite frankly I think it's going to happen. When we as a country find something we like, we're going to get it.
This is a good point... I also think the more taboo something is in the US, the more kids are going to try it (and maybe even abuse it). In Canada, it's pretty much legal in Ontario to possess a certain amount. In Europe, the drinking age is a bit lower and the older people know how to party responsibly. Yet in the States, we're all gung-ho about "DARE" and stupid anti-drug campaigns that don't aim at truth... fact- Marijuana does not get a girl pregnant. fact- alcohol does not make you shoot your friend in the face.

How about we start changing the dynamic in which we teach our kids the truth about such. You teach them at an early age the effects that weed and alcohol and tobacco have on your mental, physical and chemical state. You also teach them the concept of moderation before reaching an acceptable age of consumption. At the very least, you let them know if they ever decide to try something they're not mentally and physically ready for (in other words, give in to natural teenage curiosity), they're not afraid of calling you if they need help in dangerous situations.

Enough with the Rachel Leigh Cook "watch me destroy my kitchen" anti-drug commercials. What the hell does it teach our kids if we pull the wools over their eyes with such nonsensical allegory? There is a mature way to handle the topic of recreational substances and I think the current political stance only reinforces fallible education. Look at our teen dropout, pregnancy and incarceration statistics... are we looking at better times with the continued mentality of "Just Say No?"
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #77
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,368
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
This is true, but lots of time mold can grow on pot, and that can have ill effects on your health.

Also, I've known locals in D.C. to lace marijuana with PCP. It's relatively inexpensive to do... and happens. (My roommate freshman year experienced this phenomenon... hence the reason you don't buy from locals)
sure it happens, there will always be a-holes out there just looking to F with people, but a reliable 'source' isn't going to do that crap.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #78
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Legalize it!

I am a firm believer that it should be legalized.
Someone on this site posted a link to a study that was done for 30 years on the affects of Marijuana. The study showed that THC was actually a cancer inhibitor. I'm sure you can still get emphezema, but cancer didn't occur. I'll see if I can find it and post it.
THC has lots of medicinal aspects to it. We commonly think of it as something "negative", and we envision some dead beat sitting in front of his playstation and chomping on cheetos. But let me tell you, I have an MBA in Finance, and a 142 IQ. I smoked A LOT in college, and I will occasionally dabble in it even today when the stresses get to be too much for me. I find alcohol doesn't help relieve my day to day stresses, but marijuana will, and the next day I feel refreshed like I am starting a new day instead of reliving an old one. It's just like anything else, if you abuse it, you fall victim to it. Moderation is the key. The people that let it control their lives are the ones that abuse it. You can't abuse anything in life...long hours at work, eating, drinking, drugs of any kind, sex etc, although the more sex you have the better. LOL.
The government doesn't even realize they are sitting on a gold mine. It would create jobs, drop our taxes, reduce crimes, and help curb illegal smuggling. The positives amazingly outweigh the negatives.

It absolutely should be legal if cigarettes are legal. That logic doesn't make sense to me.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #79
Playmaker
 
Sammy Baugh Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Virginia, Woodbridge
Age: 52
Posts: 2,507
Re: Legalize it!

Legalize it
Tax the crap, make money and better weed.
If a guy wants a beer or a doobie I don't care but to say weed is worse than beer is stupid.

peace
mike
Yes, I did time in Marines and am a Christian but these are my opinions
__________________
Check out Mike Hedrick - The Next Food Network Star.
Please Click and give me a Thumbs Up and Positive Comment. Thanks
Sammy Baugh Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #80
Playmaker
 
Sammy Baugh Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Virginia, Woodbridge
Age: 52
Posts: 2,507
Re: Legalize it!

Plus it makes people want more BBQ!
lol

Just joking friends
peace
__________________
Check out Mike Hedrick - The Next Food Network Star.
Please Click and give me a Thumbs Up and Positive Comment. Thanks
Sammy Baugh Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #81
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 32
Posts: 8,009
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Just curious Schneed, but are you a bible thumper? No disrespect, but the people that only see the black and white of the marijuana issue are usually very religious or military.
I know I'm way late commenting on this one, but I think you are totally wrong here. My senior thesis in college dealt primarily with the racial issues behind anti-drug laws in this country, and I'm a white agnostic.

Historically speaking, it's pretty clear that anti-marijuana laws were racist in nature when they were first created.

**EDIT** Took Southpaw's comments out of context. My mistake.
However, I still stand by the fact that the laws were originally made for BS reasons that wouldn't float these days. The problem is that weed as been demonized so much that some people can't separate it from other 'drugs.'
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude

Last edited by ArtMonkDrillz; 04-11-2007 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Just glanced at a few posts, learn to read
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #82
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Legalize it!

Although I've never smoked weed myself, I have been around it on a near constant basis in both my teen and young adult years. I never bothered asking my friends as they lit one up next to me why they smoked. So, I ask now. Why do you smoke weed? What is it about the effects that cause you to want to smoke it?
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #83
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Legalize it!

I don't smoke anymore simply because of the legal problems that it can cause. But, when I did smoke, I did it for the same reasons that I drank to get drunk (as opposed to drinking for just the taste). Basically, I had a better time smoking weed and watching a movie or just hanging out with friends than I did when I was sober. It's dumb, but that's kind of the point.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #84
No new threads for you
 
pdid5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: north dakota
Posts: 121
Re: Legalize it!

decriminalized yes, legalized no - they've had nothing but problems in areas like amsterdam where they've legalized it. heroin addicts there are buying legal weed and selling it for more to underaged kids. the same thing would happen here on a much larger scale. i think here in the u.s. if your caught with an ounce or less it should be a fine and thats it.
pdid5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #85
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,236
Re: Legalize it!

I want some BBQ without beer or weed. Hurry up and open a joint in NOVA =p
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #86
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yes it is sending mixed messages, but legalizing marijuana and profiting off of it would reinforce a BAD message.

Just because one bad thing is legal doesn't mean they all should be.

Personally, I don't give a damn what message the government sends to our youth. If they legalize it, don't legalize it, what the hell ever. It's the PARENTS' job to send the ultimate message to our kids.
All the sudden you dont give a damn about what the government says, yet earlier you said it is a "parents responsibility to make sure your children ahead to the laws of this land". So you dont give a crap about the law and its messages yet you expect parents to teach it blindly otherwise that is wrong??

That seems to be a huge contradiction in your argument.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #87
Impact Rookie
 
Skins fan 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brazil, IN
Age: 44
Posts: 883
Re: Legalize it!

I dont want to promote it but in essense alcohol is just as illlegal as pot. Only difference you can buy alcohol. You can not drive with alcohol. You can not walk in public with alcohol. You can not be drunk in public. I have not tried pot myself and dont really want to for the fear I may like it and want to do it again or something. Plus not that I have since I got hired but I could get drug tested and loose my job so it is not worth it. There are just as many potheads as there are drunks.
Skins fan 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #88
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Something tells me you probably don't have much experience with drugs, not that it's a bad thing mind you.

But some of your thoughts here are ridiculous and sound like some sort of anti-drug propaganda. Dealers don't waste drugs on lacing weed. Weed is so potent nowadays it doesn't need anything added to it. Dealers don't push either, they have plenty of customers and business as it is. Drugs sell themselves.

And on a side note, you probably come in contact on a daily basis with plenty of people you would have no idea smoke weed and are highly functional and successful people.
The first statement is true. The majority of the time dealers aren't just gonna waste time and resources to lace weed all the time. It happens rarely though.
Matty's last point is excellent, although I am in the enclosed environment of college, you would be surprised who smokes and who doesn't. If anything the people who drink hardcore are the biggest LOSERS not the potheads.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #89
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Although I've never smoked weed myself, I have been around it on a near constant basis in both my teen and young adult years. I never bothered asking my friends as they lit one up next to me why they smoked. So, I ask now. Why do you smoke weed? What is it about the effects that cause you to want to smoke it?
I used to smoke several times a day from the age of 16 to just a few months ago (I'm 25). I guess I did it for social reasons at first, and then after a while I did it just out of habit. I wouldn't say that I've quit smoking, but now I only smoke about once a week at most.

The reason I smoke now is to relieve anxiety, or relax. Sometimes I feel like I can't calm down. I have so many things running through my head that it spins. Smoking pot stops that.

Another real benefit of smoking is treating nausea. If I am nauseous, or I don't have an appetite, smoking will fix it every time. Usually when I travel, I lose my appetite, and I can't relax for about a day afterwards. Smoking helps a lot for that.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #90
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
All the sudden you dont give a damn about what the government says, yet earlier you said it is a "parents responsibility to make sure your children ahead to the laws of this land". So you dont give a crap about the law and its messages yet you expect parents to teach it blindly otherwise that is wrong??

That seems to be a huge contradiction in your argument.
Not really, I believe he's saying that the government's message and the parent's message may or may not be the same. Ultimately the parent's are responsible for how a child grows up and how his/her regard for their society's laws are a direct reflection of his parent's guidance. The government can use fear tactics like "this is your brain on drugs" or whatever as their message for not doing drugs because they conclude that drug-use in general is directly related to more criminal behavior. Parent's can try different methods to show their child that putting unknown/unregulated chemicals in their body for the sake of personal/social gratification is typically not a good thing. Teaching your child to use good judgement is the parent's job as well as teaching them to respect society's laws.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36673 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25