Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Legalize it!

Parking Lot


View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legal?
Yes 42 60.87%
No 27 39.13%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #106
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 36
Posts: 2,836
Re: Legalize it!

As with so many things Chris Rock got it right. The reason coke and pot are illegal is cos, "they don't have the good s**t in America."
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #107
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 44
Posts: 89,208
Re: Legalize it!

On a little side note, it's very interesting to see how state laws differ in regard to weed:

State By State Laws - NORML
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #108
Special Teams
 
SkinEmAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: BillysBurg, Va.
Posts: 489
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
I hear ya. I never leave my house with it.

Also, as long as people are allowed to smoke their cigarettes in public, where I am exposed to it, there is no argument against pot from a public health perspective. EVERY single effing day, I must walk past the assholes smoking their cigarettes in front of the door to my office. I have no choice but to breathe the smoke -- or hold my breath.

Why are people who smoke cigs assholes? and whats the difference of second hand bong hit smoke or other wise, seriously? And no, smoking shouldnt be banned in public, outside. But if they ever do, they need to also ban the following: dudes who wear their pants halfway down their ass, and cussing in public in front of little children, and white rapper wannabe thugs(posers) fat ladys wearing spandex, men who want their tongue and or belly button pierced, al sharpton, pantys on hot chicks in short skirts on windy days, sanjia, al gore, rude people in customer service............. i could go on forever, but i think you get the point.
SkinEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #109
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 39
Posts: 5,829
Re: Legalize it!

Those of you who use it would have to start paying taxes on it like cigarettes if it were legal. Stop complaining cause right now your getting your tax free fix.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:38 PM   #110
The Starter
 
dall-assblows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: round the way
Age: 34
Posts: 2,211
Re: Legalize it!

for some reason i thought this tread's title was LEGALIZED IT and i almost bought a gram, but my hopes were shot down......
__________________
SOMEBODY PINCH ME
dall-assblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 AM   #111
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 29
Posts: 5,638
Re: Legalize it!

I'll start off by saying I do feel it should be legal. It is a drug and it should be used in moderation but it is no different than alcohol and I definitely don't think that should be illegal.

I do feel the main issue is the difficulty in testing for it, as said. No one should drive impaired and I don't have any sympathy for those that caught doing so. I have plenty of friends that say they drive better when high. I am never going to do that and think they are dumb to say that.


I have changed as a person since coming to college. I drank a bit in high school but i stayed away from weed. Now I get piss poor drunk twice a week and smoke occasionally. I do feel it is beneficial to mess around with this stuff in high school because it makes it easier to deal with in college. Now fooling around with it in high school is very dangerous. Ideally it would be nice if people could get somewhat accustomed to it but not addicted. That is obviously an ideal though. I am smoking up on 420 but that is it until next year.

Because of this I feel parents should never encourage the uses of these substances but should be informative. If I were a parent a my kid came home drunk I would think I would set him straight but I wouldn’t scare him enough to not be ready to call me if he is ever in trouble. In high school, I found that those that had understanding parectns were more unlikely to drive drunk or go home with a drunk person just to not get introuble. I don’t think a parents job is to scare their children. Its more for them to be there for them> Alcohol use isn’t that big of a deal in high school. It isn’t even an issue in college. My parents know I drink. My uncles and aunts know I drink. Even my grandmother knows I drink. I’m not going to lie at this point in college and I feel my relationship with them makes it easy for me to tell them. They aren’t happy but they understand I am in college and are more concerned of whether I abuse it or not.

I'll continue with random thoughts... I tried weed three times before I got high. The first few times I just got tired and was confused by the stupid ass people sitting there while i was drunk and excited. When i first got high.... oh baby. I was having the time of my life. I had an idea of what it was like but its true that you have to try it to know. There is no way that it can be explained.

The first high is not the strongest or best, but it is the craziest. Things are just so new that it is enjoyable. For example, I felt as if my hands were dirty after eating some food. They weren’t that dirty but it was the only thing I could think of. Now if I get the same feeling I don’t think much about it when I am high because I know I am just making ti up. The newness of the feeling is the cool thing.

That is why I do feel weed is a gateway drug. Yes, I did start drinking first and it is possible alcohol led me to pot but there is no real reason for that. I will never do anyting more than weed but many chase that new feeling and try different things.

I like the feeling of weed a lot. I keep myself in check because I don’t want it to become a habit After getting high I did it 5 times before the end of the week. I now keep it to once every other week.

I also have to stop because an internship i am looking at this summer does have drug tests and its a family friend that is giving me the job. I swear I will be hung from my balls if I don't get the job because of the not passing a drug test.
__________________
"For there is nothing half so glorious
As to see our team victorious"



BSB
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #112
Playmaker
 
Sammy Baugh Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Virginia, Woodbridge
Age: 55
Posts: 2,507
Re: Legalize it!

I was going to reply again but.......

what's this thread about again?

Gonna eat yer tots?

lol
peace
__________________
Check out Mike Hedrick - The Next Food Network Star.
Please Click and give me a Thumbs Up and Positive Comment. Thanks
Sammy Baugh Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #113
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 34
Posts: 8,029
Re: Legalize it!

As far as people saying weed should remain illegal because there isn't a way to test drivers for it, I respond to that by asking: is there a way to test to see if a truck driver is too tired to be driving; is there a way to test to make the Claritin and percocet that an old lady just took impair her driving; how can you test to see if someone got into an accident because they were looking at street signs or something stupid like that?
Personally, I don't think people should drive when they're high but I absolutely do not buy the argument weed should stay illegal because cops can't test drivers for it.
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #114
Playmaker
 
Sammy Baugh Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Virginia, Woodbridge
Age: 55
Posts: 2,507
Re: Legalize it!

Remember this song and video?
YouTube - Afroman - Because I Got High (Uncensored)
But Then I Got High by Afroman


lol
__________________
Check out Mike Hedrick - The Next Food Network Star.
Please Click and give me a Thumbs Up and Positive Comment. Thanks
Sammy Baugh Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:47 AM   #115
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 43
Posts: 5,308
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If you guys want to argue with me on economics, you're probably better off arguing with me on salary cap issues. Yes, weed can be grown in any moderate climate. Yes, it can be grown in a garage. But it can be grown much more cheaply in South America, where there is already infrastructure set up with vast fields used to grow the stuff. Here in the states we would require capital investment to clear fields, irrigate, plant, grow, and harvest. That requires money. We could use fields that we're already using for tobacco or any other crop, but the net effect on our GDP would be zero, as any revenues generated by the weed fields would be offset by the corresponding loss in revenues in tobacco.

The guy using hydrophonic lamps is using electricity to produce the pot, which isn't nearly as cost-effective as letting the sun shine on it. His cost per unit is much higher than South America's. But from an economic standpoint, I'm not interested in talking about the guys who would grow it in their garage, collectively they wouldn't produce enough weed to make a dent in the nation's demand. If weed became legalized, big business would take over and produce it in mass quantities. South America already has fields, equipment, irrigation, and the process set up to grow and produce the stuff at a marginal cost that is much lower than we could here in the US. One big reason: land in the US is much more expensive than in south America. We could generate pot here in the states for sure, but once Phillip Morris realizes that South America has them beat on labor costs (Columbians will work for 25 cents an hour), the cost of land, and the capital investments required, Phillip Morris will quickly decide not to push forward with a major pot-growing initiative. The nation will still end up importing most of it's pot, and as I said before, the trade deficit broadens, and the dollar weakens.

I don't care if you "buy it" or not, that's what would happen. Go find your friendly neighborhood economics professor and ask him. I know we have several guys around here with MBAs besides me, go ahead, do a SWOT analysis on the American pot industry assuming it were legal. There are too many barriers to entry to compete in a global market.
You and your economics buddies are a little off. You're forgetting one of the most basic fundamentals of economics -- supply and demand. The cost of marijuana today is reflected in its illegal status. Remove the Black Market implications and the price goes down. I don't need econ professors for that; it's common sense.

And why do you assume people will go out and buy imported marijuana when they can easily grow it on their own? Is it your contention that the sun doesn't shine in the Northern Hemisphere enough to adequately address the demand for the marijuana?

If you're as versed in economics as you say, you of all people should realize that consumers will seek out the least expensive route for the products they want. That's where competition comes in. If Big Business decides to enter into this market, they're going to have to compete with the people who just as easily grow it in their living room. In fact, I would submit that not as many "Big Business" entities would even bother to compete when the cards are stacked against them like that.

Even in your scenario, clearing fields, putting up massive capital amounts to
devote to new products; any weakening of the dollar could be negated once all of the resources relegated to law enforcement, source interdiction operations, court costs, Coast Guard-border enforcement and customs enforcement are removed since it's no longer illegal to consume or possess.

Since you've already admitted to throwing logic and reason out the window with this issue, I suppose it's pointless to argue further. As long as the pharmecutical companies have a stranglehold on the politicians, the GDP and the strength of your dollar will be safe.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #116
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 10,254
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
You and your economics buddies are a little off. You're forgetting one of the most basic fundamentals of economics -- supply and demand. The cost of marijuana today is reflected in its illegal status. Remove the Black Market implications and the price goes down. I don't need econ professors for that; it's common sense.

And why do you assume people will go out and buy imported marijuana when they can easily grow it on their own? Is it your contention that the sun doesn't shine in the Northern Hemisphere enough to adequately address the demand for the marijuana?

If you're as versed in economics as you say, you of all people should realize that consumers will seek out the least expensive route for the products they want. That's where competition comes in. If Big Business decides to enter into this market, they're going to have to compete with the people who just as easily grow it in their living room. In fact, I would submit that not as many "Big Business" entities would even bother to compete when the cards are stacked against them like that.

Even in your scenario, clearing fields, putting up massive capital amounts to
devote to new products; any weakening of the dollar could be negated once all of the resources relegated to law enforcement, source interdiction operations, court costs, Coast Guard-border enforcement and customs enforcement are removed since it's no longer illegal to consume or possess.

Since you've already admitted to throwing logic and reason out the window with this issue, I suppose it's pointless to argue further. As long as the pharmecutical companies have a stranglehold on the politicians, the GDP and the strength of your dollar will be safe.
What a dismal understanding of supply and demand you have.

Yes, marijuana is priced the way it is because it's illegal. The fact that it has to be smuggled keeps the supply in check, consequently price stays high. You drop the prohibition, suddenly it will arrive in the states via vast shipments from south America. Likewise, we'd be able to grow our own in mass quantities. The price will come down because the market will be flooded with weed.

The guy growing his own in his garage is no competition for big business. That's like saying Anheuser-Busch and Miller have to compete with guys who brew their own beer at home, it's just asinine.

If legalized, it would be American companies like Phillip Morris trying to grow it here in the states competing against Columbian growers who have much lower labor costs, lower costs of land, and require no new capital investment. The high supply of weed in the market, and increased competition between companies like Phillip Morris and overseas growers will push the price WAAAY down. Competition will push the price down so far that South American growers will be able to drop their prices below the point at which Phillip Morris could cover their costs. The South Americans would still turn a profit even on their lower margins, simply because the costs are so much lower. Phillip Morris's margin would be so bad they'd be forced out.

The affect on our currency in the global market would not be anywhere close to being offset by savings on law enforcement and all that crap. The government wouldn't cut back costs on law enforcement, they'd just redirect their attention to other issues. The government doesn't have competition like business does; there's no incentive for them to cut police officers or border control agents.

Where the eff did you go to business school?
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #117
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,508
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
If you're as versed in economics as you say, you of all people should realize that consumers will seek out the least expensive route for the products they want. That's where competition comes in. If Big Business decides to enter into this market, they're going to have to compete with the people who just as easily grow it in their living room. In fact, I would submit that not as many "Big Business" entities would even bother to compete when the cards are stacked against them like that.
You're right in one sense but you're also forgetting about brand recognition. If Philip Morris starts package and distribute marijuana and spends its resources on advertising then people will generally tend to buy their product over the unknown dude with the cheap packaging and inferior looking product image. You can use tv's, shoes, over-the-conter drugs and just about any other product as an example. In the end Big Business wins out just about everytime. If the little guy is showing impressive sales success with a superior product then Big Business simply "makes him an offer he can't refuse" and buys the product. A good example of that would be Cisco Systems.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #118
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 10,254
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
You're right in one sense but you're also forgetting about brand recognition. If Philip Morris starts package and distribute marijuana and spends its resources on advertising then people will generally tend to buy their product over the unknown dude with the cheap packaging and inferior looking product image. You can use tv's, shoes, over-the-conter drugs and just about any other product as an example. In the end Big Business wins out just about everytime. If the little guy is showing impressive sales success with a superior product then Big Business simply "makes him an offer he can't refuse" and buys the product. A good example of that would be Cisco Systems.
I think you're giving Beem WAAAY too much credit. He's making no sense.

People will seek out the cheapest and easiest route to getting their products. That will be buying a pack of joints over the counter made by Phillip Morris for five bucks a pack. Sure, you could grow your own. You could buy the seeds, shine lights on them, water them when needed, harvest the buds, dry them out, roll them up, and smoke them. Or you can run out to 7-11 and buy a pack for $5.

It's just like brewing beer. You could run out to the store to buy a keg of Miller Lite for $60-70, or you could buy the ingredients for $50, invest in brewing equipment, and put in the two months time it takes to brew up a keg of beer.

There are a few people in this world who brew their own beer because they think it's fun (me included). But I definitely DON'T do it because it's cheaper or easier. When I want a case of beer on the cheap and easy, I head to the effing beer distributer. Their costs of production are much lower than mine, that's why it costs just as much (if not less) and takes way less time to just go out and buy a case of Sam Adams than it does to brew one up. It makes no ****ing sense and I'm actually feeling angry and disappointed in the intelligence level of the person I'm debating with.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #119
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 18,710
Re: Legalize it!

I think that the examples you mentioned though require a lot more work than something as natural as marijuana. People don't really have a lot of access to making their own TVs and prescription drugs as much as they do to planting a lot of seeds.

Typically if you're considering the organic quality of pot itself, most people who buy produce, consider the "farmer's market"-type stuff to be superior, so while I think that big companies might compete, they'd also have some competition from home growers as well.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #120
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 10,254
Re: Legalize it!

The whole reason people grow weed in their closet, garage, or living room is because it's effing illegal and they can't grow it on a farm or in their back yard. If it becomes legal, it will be readily available just like tobacco. You won't have to put in the effort to grow it, so most wouldn't. Some still will, for fun, but they won't even be a drop in the supply bucket.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.21106 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25