Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Legalize it!

Parking Lot


View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legal?
Yes 42 60.87%
No 27 39.13%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #121
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Legalize it!

Also, the farmer's market may have the best produce but Kroger and Wal-Mart are closer to the neighborhoods that has the largest buying power which means their produce generates more profit. People inherently seek out the most efficient method of expending energy/time/effort. We have a Wal-Mart 250 yards away from our house, literally. We also have a country store about 2 miles away that sells local fruit and vegetable produce that clearly are superior in quality. Wal-Mart's closer so I go there and buy a bag of apples so I can get back home and read this thread.




It's really disgusting how much time I spend on this site, btw.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #122
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Legalize it!

I have snorted ketamine off of bathroom floors before. I also graduated first in my class in college. This is proof that drugs are not harmful. OWNED!
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #123
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
What a dismal understanding of supply and demand you have.
You say it's dismal, yet you proceed to confirm everything I wrote with regard to the drop in price due to the laws of supply and demand.

And you're right, since the act of growing a weed in your backyard is somewhat less complicated than micro brewing, that does make your comparison to Anheuser-Busch rather asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
If legalized, it would be American companies like Phillip Morris trying to grow it here in the states competing against Columbian growers who have much lower labor costs, lower costs of land, and require no new capital investment. The high supply of weed in the market, and increased competition between companies like Phillip Morris and overseas growers will push the price WAAAY down. Competition will push the price down so far that South American growers will be able to drop their prices below the point at which Phillip Morris could cover their costs. The South Americans would still turn a profit even on their lower margins, simply because the costs are so much lower. Phillip Morris's margin would be so bad they'd be forced out.
Exactly. Big Business may not rush to enter into the market for marijuana production. Since it's a weed, people don't have to be agriculture experts to grow it. More confirmations of my post. I guess "effing" business school isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
The affect on our currency in the global market would not be anywhere close to being offset by savings on law enforcement and all that crap. The government wouldn't cut back costs on law enforcement, they'd just redirect their attention to other issues. The government doesn't have competition like business does; there's no incentive for them to cut police officers or border control agents.
I never said the government would "cut police officers or border control agents." Do you have any idea how much money the United States Government spends on the War on Drugs? I don't have the figures at my fingertips, but I can assure you the number contains lots of commas.

Is it your position that a redirection of resources away from the investigation, apprehension, prosecution, and incarceration of marijuana users wouldn't make for a wiser and more effective use of available funds? The fact that they concentrate their attention on crimes that actually infringe on the rights of others as opposed to vice type crimes contradicts that argument.

Ask your econ buddies what the total effect would be on our currency. I'd bet the difference would be minimal. Our country's overall economic strengths in just about every other area would offset any decline that you speak of.

At some point, I guess I will come to the realization that arguing with someone who admits to not using logic and objectivity is a pointless waste of time.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #124
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
As far as people saying weed should remain illegal because there isn't a way to test drivers for it, I respond to that by asking: is there a way to test to see if a truck driver is too tired to be driving; is there a way to test to make the Claritin and percocet that an old lady just took impair her driving; how can you test to see if someone got into an accident because they were looking at street signs or something stupid like that?
Personally, I don't think people should drive when they're high but I absolutely do not buy the argument weed should stay illegal because cops can't test drivers for it.
This seems like a weak protest, AMD. You're saying that since we don't test tired truck driver's or drugged out old ladies then we should also not test for all people who are high? There will be truck drivers and old ladies that will be in that group that are tested for driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of marijuana. Truck driver's are regular everyday people like you and me and old ladies who have glaucoma may use it to relieve their ailments.

That line of reasoning also seems to indicate that we should also just do away with breathalizer's. How else is a police officer going to have scientific evidence that a person is under the influence of a motor-skill inhibiting or hallucinogenic drug other than testing for it?
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #125
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,487
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Ask your econ buddies what the total effect would be on our currency. I'd bet the difference would be minimal. Our country's overall economic strengths in just about every other area would offset any decline that you speak of.
Don't forget the sharp increase in the U.S. demand for sour cream and onion chips with some dip, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, chocolate, gotta have chocolate. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and for s'mores. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. Big pizza's with everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons. (Great Movie)

This will surely impact the economy in a positive way.

(I'm done talking about economic impact since I really don't know enough about it... just thought I'd lighten the thread up)
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #126
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,332
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Don't forget the sharp increase in the U.S. demand for sour cream and onion chips with some dip, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, chocolate, gotta have chocolate. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and for s'mores. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. Big pizza's with everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons. (Great Movie)

This will surely impact the economy in a positive way.

(I'm done talking about economic impact since I really don't know enough about it... just thought I'd lighten the thread up)
damn I'm hungry now
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #127
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,980
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
This seems like a weak protest, AMD. You're saying that since we don't test tired truck driver's or drugged out old ladies then we should also not test for all people who are high? There will be truck drivers and old ladies that will be in that group that are tested for driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of marijuana. Truck driver's are regular everyday people like you and me and old ladies who have glaucoma may use it to relieve their ailments.

That line of reasoning also seems to indicate that we should also just do away with breathalizer's. How else is a police officer going to have scientific evidence that a person is under the influence of a motor-skill inhibiting or hallucinogenic drug other than testing for it?
I'm not saying that we shouldn't test people to see if they're DWHigh, nor am I saying that people who do cause accidents while high shouldn't be held accountable for their actions. I don't see how this line of thinking has anything to do with getting rid of breathalizers, because they're a proven method of proving that a driver is too impaired to be behind the wheel.
Hell, if they develop a test to see if drivers were high they should use it. For now, they should probably just use the standard roadside test (walk the line; touch your nose; etc) that they use for drunk drivers.

What I am trying to say is that I find the whole "you can't test drivers to see if they're high, so weed should remain illegal" argument to be rather weak. What I meant by my examples is that there is no test to see if (for instance) a trucker caused an accident because he'd been on the road too long and he was too tired, or that the old lady on allergy meds was just as out of it as if she just took a couple hits off a bong. To me, these are very similiar to DWH and they also can't be tested for.
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
@Scott_Did_It is bored. Bother him.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #128
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinEmAll View Post
Why are people who smoke cigs assholes? and whats the difference of second hand bong hit smoke or other wise, seriously? And no, smoking shouldnt be banned in public, outside. But if they ever do, they need to also ban the following: dudes who wear their pants halfway down their ass, and cussing in public in front of little children, and white rapper wannabe thugs(posers) fat ladys wearing spandex, men who want their tongue and or belly button pierced, al sharpton, pantys on hot chicks in short skirts on windy days, sanjia, al gore, rude people in customer service............. i could go on forever, but i think you get the point.
People who smoke are not assholes. I smoked cigarettes for 6 years. It's the people who have no consideration for non-smokers, and smoke their cigarettes in places where non-smokers MUST be exposed to it -- like right in front of a door to a public building. How am I supposed to enter the building without breathing the smoke and negatively affecting my health?

If smoking pot were legal, I would approach it in the same manner. People need to respect the rights of others to be healthy.

As for the other things you mentioned, they do not adversely affect people's health. They are just inconveniences. You can't very well justify making a law against something because it is inconvenient. You can, however, justify making a law against something for health concerns -- like smoking in public.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #129
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I'm not saying that we shouldn't test people to see if they're DWHigh, nor am I saying that people who do cause accidents while high shouldn't be held accountable for their actions. I don't see how this line of thinking has anything to do with getting rid of breathalizers, because they're a proven method of proving that a driver is too impaired to be behind the wheel.
Hell, if they develop a test to see if drivers were high they should use it. For now, they should probably just use the standard roadside test (walk the line; touch your nose; etc) that they use for drunk drivers.

What I am trying to say is that I find the whole "you can't test drivers to see if they're high, so weed should remain illegal" argument to be rather weak. What I meant by my examples is that there is no test to see if (for instance) a trucker caused an accident because he'd been on the road too long and he was too tired, or that the old lady on allergy meds was just as out of it as if she just took a couple hits off a bong. To me, these are very similiar to DWH and they also can't be tested for.
Okay, I gotcha. My whole contention is ensuring that the roads do not get any more dangerous than they already are. It's a safety concern I have for family. I, as an individual, am not all that particularly worried about anything happening. I've always had a "devil may care" attitude. But now that I'm married and with a 20 month old I always look for any potentially dangerous situations. I can't control the actions of a drunk driver nor a person who is high (or tired or drugged out). I can try to help pass legislature that puts into effect a screening process that law enforcement can use to help keep those irresponsible f*ckups off the street.

We're not going to be able to control every possible reason why a person is impaired but we can take preventative actions to reduce the potential for an even greater number of traffic accidents.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #130
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: Legalize it!

I don't agree that domestic businesses would not be able to compete in a global pot market.

The first reason is import taxes. Surely the government would tax imported pot, just as they do other imported goods. This would raise the cost of imported pot, thereby giving the domestic businesses a small advantage over them.

Secondly, if a domestic business could lower costs by growing outside of the US, then they would (just like auto manufacturers). I don't think it would take very long for Phillip Morris to buy up the South American growers, along with their equipment, work force, and land.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #131
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
I don't agree that domestic businesses would not be able to compete in a global pot market.

The first reason is import taxes. Surely the government would tax imported pot, just as they do other imported goods. This would raise the cost of imported pot, thereby giving the domestic businesses a small advantage over them.

Secondly, if a domestic business could lower costs by growing outside of the US, then they would (just like auto manufacturers). I don't think it would take very long for Phillip Morris to buy up the South American growers, along with their equipment, work force, and land.
I think your second point is pretty good and very likely.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #132
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,980
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Okay, I gotcha. My whole contention is ensuring that the roads do not get any more dangerous than they already are. It's a safety concern I have for family. I, as an individual, am not all that particularly worried about anything happening. I've always had a "devil may care" attitude. But now that I'm married and with a 20 month old I always look for any potentially dangerous situations. I can't control the actions of a drunk driver nor a person who is high (or tired or drugged out). I can try to help pass legislature that puts into effect a screening process that law enforcement can use to help keep those irresponsible f*ckups off the street.

We're not going to be able to control every possible reason why a person is impaired but we can take preventative actions to reduce the potential for an even greater number of traffic accidents.
I understand what you're saying about highway safety and I do agree 100% that people should not be driving while high; I just don't think that's a reason it should remain illegal.
That being said, even if it were legalized (or decriminalized, which is far more likely) drivers should be held accountable for DWH just like drivers are held accountable for DUI/DWI's.
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
@Scott_Did_It is bored. Bother him.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #133
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Legalize it!

I love how this discussion has turned into a debate about the tax and general economic considerations of a legalized, domestic pot market.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #134
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,980
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I love how this discussion has turned into a debate about the tax and general economic considerations of a legalized, domestic pot market.
I think that's because there's really no reason that it should be illegal. All the arguments against it are pretty easy to shoot down since alcohol and tobacco are legal.
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
@Scott_Did_It is bored. Bother him.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #135
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Legalize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I think that's because there's really no reason that it should be illegal. All the arguments against it are pretty easy to shoot down since alcohol and tobacco are legal.
Easy for one side, I guess. Since carrying a concealed firearm is legal then I guess it should be legal to carry a concealed grenade? Just because alcohol and tobacco are legal doesn't mean it's right to make other drugs legal regardless if they're any more or less potent. That sounds like some sort of whiney kid's argument: "Well my friend Bobby gets to stay up late, why can't I?" I say count your blessings that alcohol and tobacco are legal.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.64332 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25