Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


afraid to die?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #76
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: afraid to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I like the outlook on life here. Gotta make sure you take time each day for yourself.

For some, living life means traveling. For others, it's playing sports. And for others, it's simply taking the time to spend around family and friends. You don't have to be a risk taker or a bungee jumper to live life to the fullest. If you like bungee jumping, by all means, go do it and live your life. But if you like simply making sure you're sitting down to dinner with your family and not working 12 hours a day, then by all means do that.

I think it would be really hard to die knowing that you spent way too much time working, and not enough time doing the things you love, whatever they may be. To me, being on the "sidelines" means working way too much.
Yeah, I can agree with that. To each his own. If you are in too much fear to do something that you are interested in, then you are not living life. That applies to people that work 12 hours a day, cause you're afraid to leave that lifestyle, or try a new career. It all applies.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 AM   #77
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,967
Re: afraid to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I used to have similar thoughts around middle school age too. I think it happens to a lot of kids around that time, because you're no longer a little kid and you're able to comprehend a bit more of the world around you.
Add me to the list. I went through a stretch where I insisted on taking my pulse every night before I went to sleep. Strange, I know

Anyone been near dath?

Probably the closest I ever actually came to death was my senior year of high school. Last week of school, I had what started as a simple itch on my finger and a headache. That night at the dinner table I picked up my fork and I suddenly felt like I was on fire. I threw the fork and started shaking violently. My brother grabbed me and pinned me down. We went straight to the hospital where a bunch of tests were done on me. Everything came out normal.

They figured it was a one time occurrence so I was sent back home. The next morning I felt totally fine and went to take my last final ever in high school. Came back home and when I started to put my hands around the remote control to watch tv the same thing happened again. I started shaking like mad.

Over the next two weeks my temperature was averaging 105 degrees, I couldnt' hold anything, I couldn't walk without assistance, a whole layer of skin peeled off, I lost nearly all my hair, my eyes were blood red, and I dropped 45 pounds.

But no matter how many doctors I was sent to all over the mid-Atlantic not one doctor could diagnose what I had. And since they didn't know they were reluctant to give me any medicine. Plus I'm allergic to aspirin.

Finally, the day I've always feared came. My primary doctor sat me down and basically told me that unless they could figure out was happening it was very possible I wouldn't recover, and that my family and I should prepare for that possibility.

I gotta say, I was numb. I don't know if it was that I was too sick to feel fear but I was more confused than anything else. Like "Ok, now what do I do?"

Ultimately, while they still don't know what I had, I got better. Mainly because my dad decided I wasn't going down without a fight and had me put on any and every medicine hoping one would work. It was about 6 months before I fully recovered and got to 100%. Even today, nearly 15 years later I have some residual effects actually.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:26 AM   #78
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,229
Re: afraid to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
Sheesh... that's one way to bring us down and ruin a day. Think HAPPY THOUGHTS.
really matty god
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #79
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: afraid to die?

[quote=SmootSmack;307430]
Anyone been near dath?quote]

I can count on two hands how many times. It is not something to brag about. Your sense of helplessness is magnified, your heart races, and adrenalin pumps. In your mind you are scared and accept it as being inevitable, but you body does not stop fighting. Short breaths, pounding heart, feintness, and fear of the unknown are all constant. If you did not believe in God, now you do and hope that he will save you from the tragedy that has become your life and possibly your death. When it is over you are either dead or realize how fragile life really is.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #80
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,229
Re: afraid to die?

[quote=angryssg;307457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Anyone been near dath?quote]

I can count on two hands how many times. It is not something to brag about. Your sense of helplessness is magnified, your heart races, and adrenalin pumps. In your mind you are scared and accept it as being inevitable, but you body does not stop fighting. Short breaths, pounding heart, feintness, and fear of the unknown are all constant. If you did not believe in God, now you do and hope that he will save you from the tragedy that has become your life and possibly your death. When it is over you are either dead or realize how fragile life really is.

taht is bascially right
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #81
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: afraid to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Add me to the list. I went through a stretch where I insisted on taking my pulse every night before I went to sleep. Strange, I know

Anyone been near dath?

Probably the closest I ever actually came to death was my senior year of high school. Last week of school, I had what started as a simple itch on my finger and a headache. That night at the dinner table I picked up my fork and I suddenly felt like I was on fire. I threw the fork and started shaking violently. My brother grabbed me and pinned me down. We went straight to the hospital where a bunch of tests were done on me. Everything came out normal.

They figured it was a one time occurrence so I was sent back home. The next morning I felt totally fine and went to take my last final ever in high school. Came back home and when I started to put my hands around the remote control to watch tv the same thing happened again. I started shaking like mad.

Over the next two weeks my temperature was averaging 105 degrees, I couldnt' hold anything, I couldn't walk without assistance, a whole layer of skin peeled off, I lost nearly all my hair, my eyes were blood red, and I dropped 45 pounds.

But no matter how many doctors I was sent to all over the mid-Atlantic not one doctor could diagnose what I had. And since they didn't know they were reluctant to give me any medicine. Plus I'm allergic to aspirin.

Finally, the day I've always feared came. My primary doctor sat me down and basically told me that unless they could figure out was happening it was very possible I wouldn't recover, and that my family and I should prepare for that possibility.

I gotta say, I was numb. I don't know if it was that I was too sick to feel fear but I was more confused than anything else. Like "Ok, now what do I do?"

Ultimately, while they still don't know what I had, I got better. Mainly because my dad decided I wasn't going down without a fight and had me put on any and every medicine hoping one would work. It was about 6 months before I fully recovered and got to 100%. Even today, nearly 15 years later I have some residual effects actually.
Wow. That's crazy.

I got in a pretty serious car accident on the interstate in a blizzard back in December 2005. Hit a tree somewhere between 50-60 MPH. I got insanely lucky because the car got hit in the front right on the headlight over the tire, so the car wasn't even totaled--I still drive it today. I had two friends in the car and both were unharmed, I suffered a sprained knee. Matter of inches though, if we hit the tree on the drivers side, I'd be dead.

But I imagine theres a pretty big difference between something that from start of danger to end of danger took about 7 seconds, and something that took 6 months. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

But the next day the Skins beat the Rams en route to rattling off 6 straight wins (including the playoff win), so things ended up evening themselves out.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #82
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: afraid to die?

But from my experience, I realized that I'm really not afraid of death at all. Certainly didn't feel fear during the ordeal, or after. I appreciate how lucky I was, but I guess since death is a natural process anyway, theres no reason to get worked up over it, even when the moment comes.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #83
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: afraid to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Add me to the list. I went through a stretch where I insisted on taking my pulse every night before I went to sleep. Strange, I know

Anyone been near dath?

Probably the closest I ever actually came to death was my senior year of high school. Last week of school, I had what started as a simple itch on my finger and a headache. That night at the dinner table I picked up my fork and I suddenly felt like I was on fire. I threw the fork and started shaking violently. My brother grabbed me and pinned me down. We went straight to the hospital where a bunch of tests were done on me. Everything came out normal.

They figured it was a one time occurrence so I was sent back home. The next morning I felt totally fine and went to take my last final ever in high school. Came back home and when I started to put my hands around the remote control to watch tv the same thing happened again. I started shaking like mad.

Over the next two weeks my temperature was averaging 105 degrees, I couldnt' hold anything, I couldn't walk without assistance, a whole layer of skin peeled off, I lost nearly all my hair, my eyes were blood red, and I dropped 45 pounds.

But no matter how many doctors I was sent to all over the mid-Atlantic not one doctor could diagnose what I had. And since they didn't know they were reluctant to give me any medicine. Plus I'm allergic to aspirin.

Finally, the day I've always feared came. My primary doctor sat me down and basically told me that unless they could figure out was happening it was very possible I wouldn't recover, and that my family and I should prepare for that possibility.

I gotta say, I was numb. I don't know if it was that I was too sick to feel fear but I was more confused than anything else. Like "Ok, now what do I do?"

Ultimately, while they still don't know what I had, I got better. Mainly because my dad decided I wasn't going down without a fight and had me put on any and every medicine hoping one would work. It was about 6 months before I fully recovered and got to 100%. Even today, nearly 15 years later I have some residual effects actually.
WOW! So what was it that fixed you? Antibiotics? No one has any clue what it was???

I can think of only 1 time I came close to death.
I used to race ATV's, and at the start of the race, I knew my helmet strap was broken, but I didn't care, it was my "lucky" helmet. On the second lap, I was hit by another rider and it knocked my helmet off, no big deal I thought. Well, I tried to pass this one rider by doing a jump in high 3rd gear (likely around 30mph) and when my ass end hit the jump it flipped me. I was in the air trying to make even it out, but I couldn't. The only thing I could think was...this is going to hurt and lean to the right so the ATV doesn't land on you. So I landed on compacted dirt (no give) on my head and chest with my legs still in the air...lucky I didn't break my back. My ATV was still flipping and the "oh shit" bar that's on the back of the ATV missed my neck by maybe 2 inches. I actually felt the fiberglass hit me, but the bar stopped the force of the ATV. Had I been 2 inches to the left, it would had landed solely on the back of my neck and killed me. When I was done sliding, I was in the middle of cactus patties. I never blacked out, and recall every second of my flipping. Funny that was the worst wreck I've ever had, and I didn't break a single bone in that incident. It knocked the wind out of me, but I regained my breathe (eventually), got up, got back on the ATV and finished the race with a flat tire and bent handle bars (actually got a standing ovation from the small crowd). There were literally cactus needles in my back that had to be tweezed out. I was always told if you don't get back up "on the horse" the "horse" wins. I wasn't going to let the ATV beat me, and I wasn't going to let fear beat me.
When I see the video I cringe at how lucky I was, and to this day, that track has a rule that if your helmet falls off, you HAVE to stop and put it back on or you are disqualified.
Not quite a "near death" experience, but inches from death experience.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #84
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,967
Re: afraid to die?

Jsarno and GTripp those are some crazy stories. About 15 years ago an uncle of mine was hit by a car, he was in a coma for quite a while. Eventually he got out of the coma but he might as well have been a newborn. He didn't know how to talk, walk, eat, had no motor skills. It's amazing to see him fully functioning now considering how he had to totally relearn everything.

And no, they don't know what exactly cured my illness or even what it was. I remember it being pretty embarassing that here I was, 18 years old, and my parents and bro had to shave my face and brush my teeth for me and put my clothes on me because I was too weak to do it on my own. One time we went to dinner with some family friends and my buddy had a blast cutting up my food and feeding me. "Open the runway...here comes the airplane! Who's a big boy?"
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #85
Impact Rookie
 
Skins fan 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brazil, IN
Age: 44
Posts: 883
Re: afraid to die?

My 2 things about death is not seeing another Super Bowl win before I die and losing to the Cowpukes before I die. My dream is to beat dallas before I die not go leave with a loss.
Skins fan 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:35 AM   #86
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,492
Re: afraid to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Jsarno and GTripp those are some crazy stories. About 15 years ago an uncle of mine was hit by a car, he was in a coma for quite a while. Eventually he got out of the coma but he might as well have been a newborn. He didn't know how to talk, walk, eat, had no motor skills. It's amazing to see him fully functioning now considering how he had to totally relearn everything.

And no, they don't know what exactly cured my illness or even what it was. I remember it being pretty embarassing that here I was, 18 years old, and my parents and bro had to shave my face and brush my teeth for me and put my clothes on me because I was too weak to do it on my own. One time we went to dinner with some family friends and my buddy had a blast cutting up my food and feeding me. "Open the runway...here comes the airplane! Who's a big boy?"
Wow, that's some scary stuff. I can't imagine the fear that must have been running through your head. It must have really given you such an incredible perspective. I don't know how I would react in a situation, and it must have taken a lot of mental focus to kick your way through that time.

While I've never had my own personal near death experience, a good friend of mine almost died from hitting me during a lacrosse practice. I was running across the crease taking a shot when my friend Kevin simply laid my ass out. Totally demolished me....and then he just started getting really sick.

It was so bizarre because after the hit, he just started walking like he was drunk and started vomiting. They rushed him to the hospital, and me and all of my buddies sort of joked around about what had happened. Then they came in and said that he had a 50% chance to live and we all just sort of stood there in shock.

He eventually fully recovered....but man.. that stuff really makes you think about how anything can happen. He actually came back and switched positions to goalie and became a phenom. He plays for Navy right now, but I believe they moved him back to defense. Crazy shit.

What's really bizarre is being near someone that is actually dying. It's actually somewhat of a psychedelic experience.

Here I am, sitting in a room with a living breathing person whom was terminally ill. I sat there and counted the breaths getting further and further apart. It was really quite surreal, and not a negative experience at all. All the pain and suffering this person was going through... It was finally ending. It's pretty amazing, and definitely helps in a weird way to get you through the mourning experience. It's something that will stay with me forever.

Damn, we're getting deep over here in the OT forum...
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #87
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,492
Re: afraid to die?

So I think I'll lighten it up a little bit....

__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #88
The Starter
 
NM Redskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,009
Re: afraid to die?

What about looking at this from a physics point of view. I could be wrong here, but isnt it a rule of physics that energy can neither be created or destoryed. So if our brain is full of electrical impluses, when we die that energy must go somewhere right? Like an after life or reincarnation.
__________________
Despite my solid 40 time and great intangibles I went undrafted AGAIN!
NM Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #89
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,492
Re: afraid to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Redskin View Post
What about looking at this from a physics point of view. I could be wrong here, but isnt it a rule of physics that energy can neither be created or destoryed. So if our brain is full of electrical impluses, when we die that energy must go somewhere right? Like an after life or reincarnation.
Yes, then you get to the conundrum of where did this initial energy come from?

If it can't be created or destroyed, why is it here? Was it not created?

You have to either make a leap of faith, and believe that there always had and always will be, or just deny your very existence.

I think reason isn't on our side with this one. My basic assumption is that reason is a tool we have, that complicates our perception of existence. Reason is flawed; according to reason, effect has a cause. You were born because of your parents, your parents because of theirs, and so on.

If you break down enough causes, you get to the big bang, and your stuck again. What's the "first cause". Why was there a big bang.

There is a flaw in reason, because it doesn't work by it's own definition. You either believe something, or don't... but it's hard to argue that it's ever based on reason.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #90
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: afraid to die?

I guess I have been close to my own death, but I don't really consider the experiences significant. I have been in a few serious car accidents, and I got Spinal Meningitis when I was younger.

Spinal Meningitis can be fatal, depending on the form of the illness. They do tests, and for a few days you don't know if you have the incurable type, or the other. For about a week I was paralyzed from the neck down. I couldn't eat or drink anything, and I remember having to be carried to the bathroom. It must have been a terrible experience for my family. I wasn't scared, but I was young, and I don't think anyone ever explained the gravity of the situation to me.

The one time I have been truly scared of death was when my 1-year old niece fell into the pool and drowned. I was awoken by my brother who told me to get up quickly. In a daze, I stumbled outside to find my sister holding her daughter lifeless in her arms, while crying and screaming hysterically. She was blue, wet, and very cold -- it was Christmas eve. I performed CPR on her, and she started to breathe again. It was the most irregular and unnatural breathing I have ever heard. Moments later, the ambulance arrived, and scooped her up and took her to the hospital. She recovered, and to this day there are no affects, but I will never forget that day. It was, by far, the scariest day of my life.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36453 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25