Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Group Coerced Censorship

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #46
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,978
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
And for anyone that doesn't agree with the mods, 3 months for you bitches!
That's not too bad.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #47
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,848
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I sincerely apologize to anyone who is upset about my decision to shut down the Falwell thread. It was not "group coerced censorship," it was one mod's censorship. For those of you who are concerned that it may become a theme, let me just say that I can count on one hand the number of threads that I have closed over the past 4 years.

I did not shut down the thread because of the views that were expressed. I personally find it to be in bad taste to talk ill of the dead the day after they died, but that's not why I shut down the thread. Why did I shut it down? I've been a member for years now and I feel like I can spot some trainwrecks before they take place. I saw a trainwreck so I closed the thread....perhaps my vision is bad.
For what little it's worth - I fully supported SGG's decision. I felt about it just about exactly as did SGG. It appeared to be escalating quickly into the realms of incivility that, once reached over the internet, are difficult to pull back from. Additionally, SGG's actions gave everyone a chance to cool off step back and maybe think a little more about how to best communicate ideas. Sometimes a "cooling off period" is necessary and a good mod can recognize that.

My SGG kiss up is now done.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #48
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
My SGG kiss up is now done.
You're my new BFF.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #49
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,331
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

I gotta say, mainly to SGG, that this is really no big deal in the end to me. It's probably better that you locked the Fallwell thread down anyway, because that guy didn't deserve another ounce of breath wasted talking about his miserable life.

But it ain't about Fallwell. You made a move that you thought would make this place a better place to have discussions, and I can't hate on that. Thanks for doing what you do, same goes for all the mods.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

I completely agree with the closing of that thread. It was a very disrespectful and disgusting display. I don't care if you have political disagreements with someone, you don't behave that way towards someone who just died.

Bin Laden would deserve it, he's killed people I know...but Falwell and his family did nothing to deserve that.

What would happen if I did that to VTech victims? I'd be hung and banned, deservingly. But hey, I disagree with their campus gun laws...

I hope a Cowboys board never hears about one of us dying, they'll treat you the same way that some of you treated the passed Reverend Falwell.

Sure you have free speech, just be responsible with it and remember their are consequences to misusing it, like your thread gets closed.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #51
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I sincerely apologize to anyone who is upset about my decision to shut down the Falwell thread. It was not "group coerced censorship," it was one mod's censorship. For those of you who are concerned that it may become a theme, let me just say that I can count on one hand the number of threads that I have closed over the past 4 years.

I did not shut down the thread because of the views that were expressed. I personally find it to be in bad taste to talk ill of the dead the day after they died, but that's not why I shut down the thread. Why did I shut it down? I've been a member for years now and I feel like I can spot some trainwrecks before they take place. I saw a trainwreck so I closed the thread....perhaps my vision is bad.
No, your vision is 20/20.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #52
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,227
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Offiss, I don't think anyone here can claim to be an expert on the bible. People dedicate their lives to reading and understanding such large and archaic pieces of work. However, there are basic rules in every religion. Most all of the big religions are the same:
1) Do unto others.
2) Don't lie.
3) Don't kill.
etc.

I mean, basically what someone would consider a 'good' person. I feel a majority of the world fills that criteria. And in all honesty, do you feel Falwell did? AMD put a solid list of many of the awful things that have happened under him. Has he done some good in his life, sure. Faith is what each individual makes of it, in my opinion.

At first I was very upset at the closing of the thread, but that's changed and I can definitely see why it was closed.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #53
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Isn't ironic that the thread about the thread has been testier than the thread itself?
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #54
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

anyone thats going to try and tell me Jerry Falwell was a good man...... well maybe they should dig alittle deeper into what he was all about. it has nothing to do with him being a Christian
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #55
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

I think Falwell's biggest indictment, in my opinion, was that he lacked balance in his interpretation and delivery of his convictions. Even truth presented without balance can lead to practical error and ultimately becomes divisive. I think this is why many, in fact, viewed him as divisive.

Whether or not he was a good man...I don't know. I'll say this, those who knew him privately probably have a different opinion from those who knew him through the public scope.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #56
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,384
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I think Falwell's biggest indictment, in my opinion, was that he lacked balance in his interpretation and delivery of his convictions. Even truth presented without balance can lead to practical error and ultimately becomes divisive. I think this is why many, in fact, viewed him as divisive.

Whether or not he was a good man...I don't know. I'll say this, those who knew him privately probably have a different opinion from those who knew him through the public scope.
Exactly!
While I personally have no idea if he was good, bad, or Batman???? Being convicted in the media is just spin, swill, and of NO consequence.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #57
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,848
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

As with all things, we will be judged by our actions and Falwell intentionly chose to become a very public persona. The media conviction of Falwell was due in part to many things - some from a segment of media that has a strong anti-christian bias and some from out of context statements taken by Falwell. But, by and large, Falwell chose to act on the public stage and, with knowledge that they would be republished, made intentionally divisive and intolerant statements. If he has been judged harshly by the media, and in turn, the public, he has in fact brought these judgments upon himself.

Just b/c some in private have a different opinion of him does not render him free from judgment for very his public actions and public choices.

As in all things spiritual, judge for yourselves, not for condemnation purposes (i.e. - let one w/out sin cast the first stone), rather for your personal and our corporate wisdom.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #58
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Exactly!
While I personally have no idea if he was good, bad, or Batman???? Being convicted in the media is just spin, swill, and of NO consequence.
Today's media has become synonomous with entertainment. And more and more it's becoming a means by which the general public can judge others. It has very little to do with actual journalism and reporting, and is mainly driven by ratings.

We see it accross the spectrum. Whether it be sports, politics, religion, or entertainment, I think we're starting to cross over into dangerous terrritory with the way news is actually being reported.

Usually when I hear or see the media making an attempt to size up one's character, I try to take it with a grain of salt.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #59
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
As with all things, we will be judged by our actions and Falwell intentionly chose to become a very public persona. The media conviction of Falwell was due in part to many things - some from a segment of media that has a strong anti-christian bias and some from out of context statements taken by Falwell. But, by and large, Falwell chose to act on the public stage and, with knowledge that they would be republished, made intentionally divisive and intolerant statements. If he has been judged harshly by the media, and in turn, the public, he has in fact brought these judgments upon himself.

Just b/c some in private have a different opinion of him does not render him free from judgment for very his public actions and public choices.

As in all things spiritual, judge for yourselves, not for condemnation purposes (i.e. - let one w/out sin cast the first stone), rather for your personal and our corporate wisdom.
Well said.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #60
Playmaker
 
Sammy Baugh Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Virginia, Woodbridge
Age: 52
Posts: 2,507
Re: Group Coerced Censorship

Hey the guy said he was sorry and had asked forgiveness from God and the Bible says He is Faithful and Just to forgive us our sins, and the guy asked the forgivness of people as well.

Each of us has said something so terrible and hateful and utterly wicked to someone or about someone in our lives and it's only the Grace of God the Media didn't here it and hang us on a cross becuase of it.

I just thought my friend Deseal's comment was too nasty for what I beleive to be the way to post around here. That's all. I wasn't saying the Beatles were bigger than Jesus or anything like that. I just said what I said and now all this. Doh! I started channeling John Lennon again

lol

Talk is cool and so is this thread.
peace and bbq grease!
mike
__________________
Check out Mike Hedrick - The Next Food Network Star.
Please Click and give me a Thumbs Up and Positive Comment. Thanks
Sammy Baugh Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32888 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25