Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


What REALLY grinds your gears?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #1156
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,524
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
If the changes for Debit/Credit cards being charged an extra 3% on every purchase, expect to see checks make a comeback. Especially for things like groceries. Many stores already put a markup of ~3% on items to cover their losses from people using debit/credit cards... now they'll be getting that 3% straight to their pocket.
Actually now, if you go into most grocery stores and pay with a check, they still run it through and deduct from your account just like they would do if you paid with a debit card or credit card. The only difference is that it takes longer for them to have to run the check through, getting you to sign the receipt, etc...they hand the check back to you when it has been cleared. So, I'm not sure if using checks now would really make a difference other than wasting more time.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #1157
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,524
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Go to a local store for lunch, grab a couple items and immediately head to the quick, "10 items or less" check out...lady in front of me checking out A) has 13 items and B) asks for a f*ckin pen.

A) rules. if it says 10 items, then 10 is the effing max. its a line for people like me, with 3 items who want to grab and go.

B) Who the f*ck writes a effing check anymore? Of course we need to write it out, let the cashier run it and record it in our little register. An addition 2 minutes to my waiting time while im staring at the other line 10 items line breeze right through. Who the f*ck writes a check? Get a effing check card.
I will actually count the items in my buggy to make sure I don't have over the "10 items or less" limit and if I'm one over, I'll go into the regular line. Occasionally if the grocery store is not busy, they'll take me in the express line no matter what, but I will let someone else go in front of me if they have a few items in their hands.

Yeah, the check writing gets me, but like I stated in the previous post, they treat checks just like they would debit cards or credit cards in the grocery stores I've been to. I've lost my debit card on a couple of occasions and had to pay with checks until the replacement card came back and the cashier told me you don't even have to fill out the check, just sign your name and their computer does the rest.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #1158
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

New gear grinder...

Now I've been seeing a $1.00 charge anytime you your PIN on the debit card.

I have always processed purchases as credit instead of debit, but a month or so ago I asked for cash back and ran it as debit. I saw a $1.00 "PIN use fee" deducted from my account. A few weeks later, I used an ATM for cash. I always use M&T Bank's ATMs because they have no surcharges, even if you don't have an account with them and are everywhere around here. Again, that "PIN use fee" despite my use of a fee-free ATM.

I used to always use the "free" ATMs and cash back at registers to get cash without paying a fee. Now, the only way for me to get access to my own cash without paying a fee is going to be writing a check out to cash or making a withdrawl at my credit union at the counter, both inconvenient.

I've always used my bank card as credit when swiping, so the only time I get nailed with this is when getting cash. My wife went to the grocery store and swiped the card as a debit card...got nailed with the $1.00 fee again! I've made sure she knows not to do that again.

Thieves! For ATMs with a fee, you're going to get nailed twice on the same transaction. Double-dipping on a single transactions should be illegal, even if it's two different institutions.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #1159
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,063
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
If I worked at a store, I'd be strict about it and make people leave my line. Of course, I'd probably be fired for what they call "poor customer service" even though I'd actually be providing excellent customer service for the others and applying store rules.
i was a cashier at a grocery store in high school. i tried to put my foot down when i was on the express lane, but got no support from my superiors.

if they were the only customer in my line, i would scan all their stuff really slow and take as long as i could until someone else came in behind them. one time this woman seriously came w a cart FULL, i told her move it along sister - but she said something like "come on, the store closes in 10 minutes" - it was closing soon but i didn't care. i scanned about 15 items then rang my bell/turned on my light like i needed a manager's help to proceed.
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #1160
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,063
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
New gear grinder...

Now I've been seeing a $1.00 charge anytime you your PIN on the debit card.

I have always processed purchases as credit instead of debit, but a month or so ago I asked for cash back and ran it as debit. I saw a $1.00 "PIN use fee" deducted from my account. A few weeks later, I used an ATM for cash. I always use M&T Bank's ATMs because they have no surcharges, even if you don't have an account with them and are everywhere around here. Again, that "PIN use fee" despite my use of a fee-free ATM.

I used to always use the "free" ATMs and cash back at registers to get cash without paying a fee. Now, the only way for me to get access to my own cash without paying a fee is going to be writing a check out to cash or making a withdrawl at my credit union at the counter, both inconvenient.

I've always used my bank card as credit when swiping, so the only time I get nailed with this is when getting cash. My wife went to the grocery store and swiped the card as a debit card...got nailed with the $1.00 fee again! I've made sure she knows not to do that again.

Thieves! For ATMs with a fee, you're going to get nailed twice on the same transaction. Double-dipping on a single transactions should be illegal, even if it's two different institutions.
bank with usaa if you can, they refund atm fees.
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #1161
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,771
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
New gear grinder...

Now I've been seeing a $1.00 charge anytime you your PIN on the debit card.

I have always processed purchases as credit instead of debit, but a month or so ago I asked for cash back and ran it as debit. I saw a $1.00 "PIN use fee" deducted from my account. A few weeks later, I used an ATM for cash. I always use M&T Bank's ATMs because they have no surcharges, even if you don't have an account with them and are everywhere around here. Again, that "PIN use fee" despite my use of a fee-free ATM.

I used to always use the "free" ATMs and cash back at registers to get cash without paying a fee. Now, the only way for me to get access to my own cash without paying a fee is going to be writing a check out to cash or making a withdrawl at my credit union at the counter, both inconvenient.

I've always used my bank card as credit when swiping, so the only time I get nailed with this is when getting cash. My wife went to the grocery store and swiped the card as a debit card...got nailed with the $1.00 fee again! I've made sure she knows not to do that again.

Thieves! For ATMs with a fee, you're going to get nailed twice on the same transaction. Double-dipping on a single transactions should be illegal, even if it's two different institutions.
Yeah the debit charge is nothing new in the industry. Always run it as a credit.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #1162
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

I've always had a limited number of debit uses per month and always stayed under that, but a couple months ago, they started charging a buck for EVERY debit transaction. That's just ridiculous.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #1163
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
i was a cashier at a grocery store in high school. i tried to put my foot down when i was on the express lane, but got no support from my superiors.

if they were the only customer in my line, i would scan all their stuff really slow and take as long as i could until someone else came in behind them. one time this woman seriously came w a cart FULL, i told her move it along sister - but she said something like "come on, the store closes in 10 minutes" - it was closing soon but i didn't care. i scanned about 15 items then rang my bell/turned on my light like i needed a manager's help to proceed.
I applaud your efforts.

Too bad you couldn't just flip your light off and walk away...just long enough for her to get in the proper lane.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #1164
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,636
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Pull up blue mail drop off thingy to mail a couple bills at the post office. Some bitch is sitting in front of me writing out her mail. r you f*cking serious, people just dont give a sh8t anymore
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #1165
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,704
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
New gear grinder...

Now I've been seeing a $1.00 charge anytime you your PIN on the debit card.

I have always processed purchases as credit instead of debit, but a month or so ago I asked for cash back and ran it as debit. I saw a $1.00 "PIN use fee" deducted from my account. A few weeks later, I used an ATM for cash. I always use M&T Bank's ATMs because they have no surcharges, even if you don't have an account with them and are everywhere around here. Again, that "PIN use fee" despite my use of a fee-free ATM.

I used to always use the "free" ATMs and cash back at registers to get cash without paying a fee. Now, the only way for me to get access to my own cash without paying a fee is going to be writing a check out to cash or making a withdrawl at my credit union at the counter, both inconvenient.

I've always used my bank card as credit when swiping, so the only time I get nailed with this is when getting cash. My wife went to the grocery store and swiped the card as a debit card...got nailed with the $1.00 fee again! I've made sure she knows not to do that again.

Thieves! For ATMs with a fee, you're going to get nailed twice on the same transaction. Double-dipping on a single transactions should be illegal, even if it's two different institutions.
One reason I love USAA. They have limited ATM's so instead they just credit you once a month for any ATM fees you incur, up to $15 a month. That's like 5 ATM uses, and I rarely use more than two or three at the most in a month. Basically, I just never worry about the fee if I have to use an ATM for some reason.

Oh and I never choose debit at a register/gas pump. And never understand why anybody would.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #1166
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,704
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Pull up blue mail drop off thingy to mail a couple bills at the post office. Some bitch is sitting in front of me writing out her mail. r you f*cking serious, people just dont give a sh8t anymore
Agreed
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #1167
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,063
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
One reason I love USAA. They have limited ATM's so instead they just credit you once a month for any ATM fees you incur, up to $15 a month. That's like 5 ATM uses, and I rarely use more than two or three at the most in a month. Basically, I just never worry about the fee if I have to use an ATM for some reason.

Oh and I never choose debit at a register/gas pump. And never understand why anybody would.
usaa is the tops. have you used their home value calculator/estimator tool?

i just got the usaa mobile app and deposited my first check via mobile. before this app, i had to use my scanner, but at least that was an option. navy federal doesn't offer online check deposit on their website - only on their mobile app, weird.
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #1168
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,704
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
usaa is the tops. have you used their home value calculator/estimator tool?

i just got the usaa mobile app and deposited my first check via mobile. before this app, i had to use my scanner, but at least that was an option. navy federal doesn't offer online check deposit on their website - only on their mobile app, weird.
I haven't used the home value calculator or mobile check deposit, but online deposit is cool, plus you can go to any UPS store and they do the deposit too.

Great company all around.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #1169
Camp Scrub
 
aircoryell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 94
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

I'll tell you what grinds my gears! Panhandlers! They are literally at every light for miles on my commute. They have their signs and their fake limps that magically disappear when they catapult into a full sprint like Usain Bolt when someone flashes a dollar. They must have gotten hurt during the sprint because they're limping again at the next red light as cars queue up. I'm watching you!
Thanks for making feel like a piece of shit after giving me that sad puppy face look cause the sucker in front gave you a dollar and now I have to pretend to be on my phone.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/EAvhb.gif

I have seen the promised land, and it is beautiful.

Last edited by aircoryell; 09-21-2012 at 09:12 PM.
aircoryell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #1170
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,627
Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

So, I'm first chair on a fairly large case involving two other agencies who are providing co-counsel. On Friday, my supervisor say our response to the compplaint MUST be filed Monday the 15th because he agreed to that date with opposing counsel. In order to do so, the three authors of the motion need to have their parts done by COB today so that we can have the week to make sure the parts mesh. It's an artificial deadline b/c, by law we have until Nov. 2nd to file a response. Also, my part of the motion accounts for about 2/3's of it and the other two attorneys each have about one sixth. Yesterday was a government holiday and today I was a chaperone on my kindergarten aged daughter's first field trip.

Regardless, I say no problem and am at the office straight through Friday night (8:00 a.m. Friday, 7:00 a.m. Saturday) I go back and am at the office again Saturday night 7:30 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. Sunday) and finish my part last night at home ~ 11:00 p.m.- 3:30 a.m. and have it e-mailed to all concerned.

I get home from the field trip, check the office e-mail from home and there is an e-mail from the boss extending the filing deadline to October 22nd. No explanation.

Thanks. Thanks a whole f'ing lot.

Oh, by the way, did I mention I have a trial tomorrow -- would have been nice to have spent Friday prepping for it.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37836 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25