Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 06:36 AM   #91
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
So if there are 10 more waiting in the wings, don't you think we should try to stop them somehow?
so the united states, fighting in Iraq, is stopping all terrorists? there will always be terrorism in this world we live in
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #92
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 41
Posts: 5,303
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

70chip, what do you expect from San Fransisco?

Seriously though, you can't take this example and make representative of all democrats, or their collective 'values' -- anymore than Mark Foley or Ted Haggard are indicative of republican 'values'.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #93
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,070
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
70chip, what do you expect from San Fransisco?

Seriously though, you can't take this example and make representative of all democrats, or their collective 'values' -- anymore than Mark Foley or Ted Haggard are indicative of republican 'values'.
I gotta agree with Beem there. It is this dividing up and villifying the other "side" that has our system broken. Yeah there are cooky Dems. And there are nutso Reps too. Crazy doesn't discriminate based on party affiliation. Both parties have strong elements who have totally thrown true values out, in terms of social values and political values. That's why there isn't a one of them that you can trust right now.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #94
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
so the united states, fighting in Iraq, is stopping all terrorists? there will always be terrorism in this world we live in
DId i say that they were fighting ALL terrorists by being in Iraq?
If we ignored Hitler, we would be in trouble right now (probably speaking german), if we ignore the terrorists, they will kill us.
To not fight them would be a mistake.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #95
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

i didn't say don't fight them. what i said is being in Iraq serves absolutely no purpose. if you think because of us fighting in Iraq, the terrorists will not strike in the United States, you are just kidding yourself. the more i think about this administrations plan of attack, the more i think that they really didn't have one
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #96
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 44
Posts: 3,048
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
70chip, what do you expect from San Fransisco?

Seriously though, you can't take this example and make representative of all democrats, or their collective 'values' -- anymore than Mark Foley or Ted Haggard are indicative of republican 'values'.

The reason San Fransisco is like that is because it's controlled by Liberal Democrats. If and when they achieve a similar stranglehold on national government, they will implement the same agenda. They will destroy this country.

BTW, a Democratic version of Mark Foley would be a congressman who was secretly being faithful to his wife.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #97
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
The reason San Fransisco is like that is because it's controlled by Liberal Democrats. If and when they achieve a similar stranglehold on national government, they will implement the same agenda. They will destroy this country.

BTW, a Democratic version of Mark Foley would be a congressman who was secretly being faithful to his wife.
I'm curious, 70...how do you define Liberal?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #98
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 44
Posts: 3,048
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I'm curious, 70...how do you define Liberal?
In the modern sense of the word. Perhaps radical and radicalism would be a better term. IMO, the modern right has as much claim to the word liberal as the modern left does, but I use the term as it has been defined since around the 1970s. I mean the Radical Left. Generally they see capitalism as inherently unfair and opressive. They view religion as reactionary and repressive. They view the state and state power as a means and not an end (so long as they run it). Their worldview is largely informed by Marx and his approach to history (dialectical materialism) even if they don't realize it. In addition, any number of liberation ideologies have attached themselves to the modern left, taking in the areas of human sexuality, race relations, and the sovreignty of individual nation states.
I think the glue that holds these disparate phenomenon together, though, is their rejection of a compassionate, personal God. This is their most common refrain.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #99
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,148
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well we haven't had an attack in this country sense 9/11 so the administration gets the credit. Its not like they have not tried to attack us because we have broken up several terr. plots over the past couple of years. We all know terrorist will strike again and they only have to get it right once to succeed. You also cannot say that the war has served no purpose because then you must have the ability to see into history.
It will be interesting to see what happens when the administration does change hands. Particularly if a Democrat wins, Will terrorists see it as an opportunity to test the new President. Similar to what happened to Gordon Brown in Great Britain.

I shouldn't say interesting, I should say somewhat frightening. And it's not limited to just Democrats of course.

Let's just say I think late January/early February 2009 might be a good time to visit Vancouver.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #100
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well we haven't had an attack in this country sense 9/11 so the administration gets the credit. Its not like they have not tried to attack us because we have broken up several terr. plots over the past couple of years. We all know terrorist will strike again and they only have to get it right once to succeed. You also cannot say that the war has served no purpose because then you must have the ability to see into history.
using this school of thought, then this administration is totally at fault for 9-11. bush and company tend to keep us living in fear. so how do i know what they have broken up? could all be a buch of crap, made up by the republicans, to have people believe that they are doing a masterful job at keeping our country secure. not that anyone in this administration has ever lied to us before
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #101
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 8,317
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
using this school of thought, then this administration is totally at fault for 9-11. bush and company tend to keep us living in fear. so how do i know what they have broken up? could all be a buch of crap, made up by the republicans, to have people believe that they are doing a masterful job at keeping our country secure. not that anyone in this administration has ever lied to us before
Dmek,

I definately agree that the Bush administration has used the war on terrorism as a political tool. The war on terrorism is, however, quite real. Al Qaeda, the Taliban, AQI, etc. truly are evil. There are a lot of radical Islamic terrorist groups who would love to see Americans killed in droves. I do not know if you meant to say that none of the foregoing is true.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #102
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
In the modern sense of the word. Perhaps radical and radicalism would be a better term. IMO, the modern right has as much claim to the word liberal as the modern left does, but I use the term as it has been defined since around the 1970s. I mean the Radical Left. Generally they see capitalism as inherently unfair and opressive. They view religion as reactionary and repressive. They view the state and state power as a means and not an end (so long as they run it). Their worldview is largely informed by Marx and his approach to history (dialectical materialism) even if they don't realize it. In addition, any number of liberation ideologies have attached themselves to the modern left, taking in the areas of human sexuality, race relations, and the sovreignty of individual nation states.
I think the glue that holds these disparate phenomenon together, though, is their rejection of a compassionate, personal God. This is their most common refrain.

I'm glad you cleared that up, because if you talk face to face with any or at least most of the Democratic candiates in the race right now, they'll tell you that's flat out not what they stand for. While I don't disagree with "that" definition, per se, because I think you're talking about how the Dems in general embrace this philosphy, or at least have in the past, I will tell you it's become more of a label which has been unduly, in some circumstances, attached to anyone non-Republican. I really can't speak to whether or not the Dems are largely informed by Marx, but I do think it's foolish to assume that there aren't Replucicans that don't embrace his philosphy as well.

The term liberal has become a very "toxic" word, and it's become more trendy to say than actually informing us of one's views of the world and how they form and shape policy. I chuckle when I hear people say, "oh he's liberal or they're liberal because"...or "she's conservative because of this or that".

Case in point, I watched John McCain after the Dems took over the House and Senate during the mid-terms, say out of his own mouth that "America is still a Conservative nation". It was sort of one of these things said in passing that you usually don't pay much attention to, but it just kept bugging me and I knew in my gut if he ever launched his bid for the Presidency, which he later did, he would never win the nomination. He has proceeded to alienate his party almost to the point of having to shut down his entire operation.

Nothing against McCain personally or as a candidate, it's just that he among others, have bought into this notion of what a conservative looks like and believes as opposed to a liberal, and because he's so inflexible on that mindset, he's spiralling in the polls.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #103
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Dmek,

I definately agree that the Bush administration has used the war on terrorism as a political tool. The war on terrorism is, however, quite real. Al Qaeda, the Taliban, AQI, etc. truly are evil. There are a lot of radical Islamic terrorist groups who would love to see Americans killed in droves. I do not know if you meant to say that none of the foregoing is true.
i know the threat of terrorism is real. i know that there are tons of people of all religions that would like nothing better to see Americans killed/ and or tortured. but to say that this administration has stopped countless attacks, has little credibility to me. these groups have been around long before 9/11, but president bush would have you believe this is all something new. he basically stirred up a hornets nest by invading Iraq, when we really had no business doing so
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #104
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 37
Posts: 5,829
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

In all actuality Terrorism became the threat as we know it today just after the end of the cold war. Much of it can be attributed to the Regan administration. we were laxidazily supporting both Palestinians and Israelis in the Middle East. All we wantd to do was promote peace in the region. Peace talks between the two peoples were never successfull. While the US tried to stay nuetral and promote peace the majority of its citizens were either of Jewish or Christian background. The Arab Nation believed that we were more supportive of the Israelis and made us an enemy. They started the attacks, and not a single thing was done about it until the Lil' Bush administration.

You say that our presence in Iraq is not necessary and there is no real proof of progress. Well Sir, I would have to disagree. Had we not invaded Iraq do you think that we would have detered the attacks that we already have? Furthermore, do you believe that the attacks would have stopped if we just stayed in Afghanistan after 911. The terrorists had to flee Afghanistan and set up terror cells somewhere. Where would they be treated more at home than under the regime of Sadam Huessein? While I understand that Iraq is not the only place that they have relocated and occupied, why not knock out 2 birds with one stone? Iraqi's were not free and lived in terror themselves under the rule of a dictator that we overthrew.

In this process we have destroyed much, and the only civilized thing left to do is ensure that their nation is rebuilt and mostly recovered from our occupation, which was necessary. Otherwise we would be leaving them at the mercy of the next tyrant to gain power.

Either way, which ever approach that we take, Terrorism isn't going to stop. For years I always asked why I was deployed from my home and my family so much. About 2 years ago it all made since. By the US keeping US servicemembers abroad in other countries, they are helping to keep the enemy off of our backs, out of our back yards and away from our gates.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #105
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Iraq: Who Has the Right Plan?

I'm willing to give him the credit, if he is willing to accept the blame? no one in this administration has ever admitted to being wrong about anything. and angryssg, i think the better plan of attack would have been to attack Afghanistan with both barrels, until bin laden was either captured or killed. that way we would be showing that the united states means business. if you attack us, we will hunt you down, and get you. to win in iraq, you will have to change an entire civilizations thought process. somehow i dont think that will happen
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31131 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25