Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #16
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,277
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

In general, I do agree with the sentiment that we should be looking for ways to use our government funds more efficiently. There is indeed a lot of wasteful spending. Each program spends a bunch of its time trying to justify why they need to exist and why they needs funds, rather than actually putting the funds to good use.

Trimming spending is a good idea. At the same time, people just need to accept that our government is going to have some inefficiencies. It's a huge damn country. It's never going to be perfect. That said, we can definitely improve it.

But all that is neither here nor there; the core argument here really is whether or not the concept of a fat tax is bothersome. To me, it doesn't take away freedoms, and it helps ensure that those who will use the Medicare system most often will be paying more for it. I can't see what's not to like.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #17
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,980
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

While I am shocked at the tolerance (at least on the surface) of the reponse in this thread of more govt intervention in our lives, so be it.
None of these intrusions impact me directly, l but I have concerns that they will in time directly impact things that ARE important to me.......and you!
I believe our govt is far to comfortable spending our tax dollars frivolously. I believe our govt is legislating ways to force Americans to comply with what "they" believe is best for us. I believe they have NO business doing either.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Well, we already have helmet laws, and motorcycle insurance is quite limited in it's coverage when compared to car insurance.
Depends on who you're talking about...there are still several states with no Helmet laws, such as where I live in NM.

I understand the comments about these people should pay a higher premium to kill themselves, it's a valid argument, but my concern is the slippery slope we're heading down.
Seat belt laws, anti gun laws, cig taxes...they are all in an effort to somehow control the general population. Wearing a seat belt should be my choice. Wearing a helmet should be my choice. Eating a burger at McDonalds should be my choice without having to pay a higher premium. What you guys are failing to see is that if this tax goes through places like McDonalds, Burger king etc will lose business, if they lose business, what is going to happen to the economy? How many employees do those fast food places employ? By taxing the food, the gov is saying we the people are wrong for choosing it. In a lot of cases we are, but who is the Gov to step in and tell everyone so. I personally HATE McDonalds with a passion, but my wife (who is 115 pounds) LOVES it. (the big n tasty) She is not fat, nor out of shape. She exercises every day to every other day...why should she be over charged for that burger?
I wear a selt belt every time I get in a car, but I understand the rights of others to not want to. I grew up in a state where you didn't have to (Mass) until recently. I don't always wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle, and it's quite a different experience for those that haven't done it. I wear it when I plan to ride fast, (highways), but I don't if I'm piddling around town. I should never be told I have to wear a helmet, or a seat belt.
AGain, I understand the counter point to this, but I feel a lot of people are missing the point that this is becoming an evermore slippery slope. What's next? We are allowing the government to tell us what to do in just about everything we do, and that's not why the government is here. The government should not say "well you're not going to take care of yourself, so we will take care of you for you." And who really takes the brunt of this general idea? The people who work hard for a living. Cause they are over taxed and no cig tax, or fast food tax will decrease the amount of tax burden on the working man.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #19
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,277
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
While I am shocked at the tolerance (at least on the surface) of the reponse in this thread of more govt intervention in our lives, so be it.
None of these intrusions impact me directly, l but I have concerns that they will in time directly impact things that ARE important to me.......and you!
I believe our govt is far to comfortable spending our tax dollars frivolously. I believe our govt is legislating ways to force Americans to comply with what "they" believe is best for us. I believe they have NO business doing either.
I think you're way off base and a little crazy at the same time.

If you think the tax is about anything other than trying to find a way to fund healthcare for the 40 million people who don't have coverage, then you're crazy. Politicians want votes, and if they pass a tax that helps 40 million people get coverage a bit easier, then they'll do it.

Politicians don't care if you die from eating fatty food. All they care about is getting elected, so they're not going to care about your freedom to eat a big mac. They just want votes.

Secondly, I think you're WAY overblowing this. For some reason, you're equating a tax with the government discouraging you (or even prohibiting you) from doing certain things. It sounds like you smoked some bad dope and you can't shake the paranoia. Trust me Hog, this fat tax is not a gateway to a mandatory nationwide 7:00 pm curfew. Nobody's trying to control you, they just want more money so they can make more people in the country vote for them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,463
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather us see people stick it to some insurance companies. I know we've had this conversation in the past, yadda yadda yadda, but I HATE paying out the ass for "peace of mind". I haven't had to use it once yet, and still I've paid thousands of dollars over my lifetime.

They get to roll in MY money.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #21
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,401
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

How does a $.5 hike on cheeseburgers represent an intrusion into our daily lives by the gov't??

The slippery slope excuse is really overblown. We still have the freedom of choice when it comes to everything mentioned in this thread, there's just a price to pay if you make a certain decision.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #22
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
While I am shocked at the tolerance (at least on the surface) of the reponse in this thread of more govt intervention in our lives, so be it.
None of these intrusions impact me directly, l but I have concerns that they will in time directly impact things that ARE important to me.......and you!
I believe our govt is far to comfortable spending our tax dollars frivolously. I believe our govt is legislating ways to force Americans to comply with what "they" believe is best for us. I believe they have NO business doing either.
I completely agree about the frivolous spending, but in regards to taxing fast foods, I see it as just another luxury tax. No one likes them, but they're a part of life and have been for centuries. Buying fast food is a choice, and you can opt not to buy it...

now, as far as fatty foods at grocery stores, go... that I'm not too sure about. Not everyone can afford to buy the lighter leaner foods as they're usually sold at a premium. I know when Im on a tight food budget I ain't exactly spending alot of time in the produce section...

I do have to say that the govt is taking measures (at least in the intelligence field) to ensure spending is more productive, implementing the "intelligence czar", etc... and opening lines of communication and information sharing between the agencies.
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #23
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather us see people stick it to some insurance companies. I know we've had this conversation in the past, yadda yadda yadda, but I HATE paying out the ass for "peace of mind". I haven't had to use it once yet, and still I've paid thousands of dollars over my lifetime.

They get to roll in MY money.

people stick it to insurance companies every day with unreasonable frivolous lawsuits that people like you and I have to pay for...
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #24
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,401
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

If you don't like insurance don't buy it. After all the odds are in your favor of probably never needing to use it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,277
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Depends on who you're talking about...there are still several states with no Helmet laws, such as where I live in NM.

I understand the comments about these people should pay a higher premium to kill themselves, it's a valid argument, but my concern is the slippery slope we're heading down.
Seat belt laws, anti gun laws, cig taxes...they are all in an effort to somehow control the general population. Wearing a seat belt should be my choice. Wearing a helmet should be my choice. Eating a burger at McDonalds should be my choice without having to pay a higher premium. What you guys are failing to see is that if this tax goes through places like McDonalds, Burger king etc will lose business, if they lose business, what is going to happen to the economy? How many employees do those fast food places employ? By taxing the food, the gov is saying we the people are wrong for choosing it. In a lot of cases we are, but who is the Gov to step in and tell everyone so. I personally HATE McDonalds with a passion, but my wife (who is 115 pounds) LOVES it. (the big n tasty) She is not fat, nor out of shape. She exercises every day to every other day...why should she be over charged for that burger?
I wear a selt belt every time I get in a car, but I understand the rights of others to not want to. I grew up in a state where you didn't have to (Mass) until recently. I don't always wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle, and it's quite a different experience for those that haven't done it. I wear it when I plan to ride fast, (highways), but I don't if I'm piddling around town. I should never be told I have to wear a helmet, or a seat belt.
AGain, I understand the counter point to this, but I feel a lot of people are missing the point that this is becoming an evermore slippery slope. What's next? We are allowing the government to tell us what to do in just about everything we do, and that's not why the government is here. The government should not say "well you're not going to take care of yourself, so we will take care of you for you." And who really takes the brunt of this general idea? The people who work hard for a living. Cause they are over taxed and no cig tax, or fast food tax will decrease the amount of tax burden on the working man.
See my previous post to Hog1. Seems like the two of you are both smoking the same bag of weed.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #26
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,401
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
See my previous post to Hog1. Seems like the two of you are both smoking the same bag of weed.
Now I understand when someone says they feel retarded after smoking.

__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #27
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,591
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

How about no tax on health food. I bet that won't happen.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #28
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,486
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
How about no tax on health food. I bet that won't happen.
Maybe you should be proactive and try to make this happen. Write your congressman a letter, find out his point of view on the issue, and ask him why he has that stance.

I believe if your living in Abingdon,MD you would be in the first district.

Here is where you can contact Congressman Wayne Gilchrest
Congressman Wayne Gilchrest - Serving Maryland's First District

Who knows, someone may happen.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #29
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

I'm for 0 new taxes on anything weather it helps me or not. I'm tired of the goverment wasting my money and the more they have the more they wast.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #30
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Fat tax?? What next, Big Brother?

I have also heard the argument that smoking and obess people save medicare money because they die younger.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30782 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25