Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #136
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

There's a huge difference between free tuition and going to college for free.

I just did a quick google on free college and found this article: More programs offer free tuition - US News and World Report
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #137
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,345
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Yup, and absolutely I did.
I changed my eating habits, I changed my electricity habits. I had my truck up for sale (took it off when I got a job). I sold several collectible items as well. I used my wife's car instead of my truck cause her car gets about 15 miles more per gallon. Completely drained and shut off the circuit breaker to my hot tub. We used to go out to eat 2 or 3 times a week, and we didn't go out at all. I also planned ahead for a rainy day, so I lasted several months without having to go all out crazy to afford to live. I also did not have insurance, I took the chance there and didn't expect a single soul to help me. It was my problem, and I handled it. I had to adjust my priorities to fit my lifestyle. Not once did I put my hand out.

ps- it's killing me I can't think of that program...I'll ask around tomorrow. Maybe it's just a New Mexico thing...not sure...but I know some of the people I work with will know the program. I'll post it here tomorrow.
What's scary is you have an advanced degree and here you were without a job. Think about people out there without a degree or meaningful experience in place to fall back on. So many people just jump from dead end job to another. Once you're in that cycle it's not easy to climb out.

What if your period of unemployment lasted longer? What if you started exhausting all of your resources, it's possible at some point you might have had to ask for some help. You're lucky you didn't get to that point I guess.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #138
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
What's scary is you have an advanced degree and here you were without a job. Think about people out there without a degree or meaningful experience in place to fall back on. So many people just jump from dead end job to another. Once you're in that cycle it's not easy to climb out.
Well, out here is worse than in most parts of the country. There are very few specialty jobs, but a lot of labor jobs such as mining work. I would have caved eventually and took one of those underground jobs, but I'm glad I didn't have to.
It is scary to have such a good degree and it not be worth much to people. I am way over qualified for 95% of the jobs out here. Other states won't hire me because they don't want to pay the relocation costs.

Quote:
What if your period of unemployment lasted longer? What if you started exhausting all of your resources, it's possible at some point you might have had to ask for some help. You're lucky you didn't get to that point I guess.
I would have had to accept a job that was something I didn't want to make ends meet. It came real close too.
Point being, I planned ahead, and I worked hard to get what I have. Sure, everyone will get kicked in the teeth at some point, you need to plan for it. I did. I suffered with horrible cars, a crappy apartment etc to save money and make it to where I am now. That's what people don't see. There is a lot more that went on behind the scenes.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #139
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,345
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Wait a minute, so you chose to stay unemployed vs. taking a job you didn't want??
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #140
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,579
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
There's a huge difference between free tuition and going to college for free.

I just did a quick google on free college and found this article: More programs offer free tuition - US News and World Report
Exactly! There is much more cost to going to college than just tuition.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #141
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,579
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Well, out here is worse than in most parts of the country.
Probably not worse than where I live. Luckily for you, you were young enough to find another job relatively easy. What sucks is that there were plenty of people here that lost their jobs who were not old enough to retire, but too old to be considered for employment elsewhere.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #142
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,316
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
So I guess if you are poor you should just sit in the dark, have no furniture, and basically have no possessions that you might actually take any joy from.
Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

You take care of your needs before you take care of your wants.

In other words, you spend your money on shelter, food, water, heat, electicity, healthcare, and then if you have anything leftover, start taking care of your desires.

So yes, the poor should sit without cable TV until they can afford healthcare. Otherwise, they are complete pieces of shit in my book.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #143
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Wait a minute, so you chose to stay unemployed vs. taking a job you didn't want??
I had the ability to take a job under ground and I would have had to lie about my claustrophobia. I probably could have worked at McDonalds, or Taco Bell too. Shitty jobs are always available.
There is ALWAYS a job you can have...from flipping burgers to digging ditches. Open a paper anywhere and there is always a job.
This job that I got came at the very last minute for me. I would have had to accept an extremely hard labor job had it not come through. But I planned ahead enough, and cut expenses enough for me to wait until a good job came around.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #144
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Exactly! There is much more cost to going to college than just tuition.
Like what?
You can take night classes you know, that way it doesn't interfere with your job. There are always excuses. If you had free tuition you wouldn't figure out how to make it work?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #145
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Probably not worse than where I live. Luckily for you, you were young enough to find another job relatively easy. What sucks is that there were plenty of people here that lost their jobs who were not old enough to retire, but too old to be considered for employment elsewhere.
Here is a link to most of the jobs that are available at this time in my area:
http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeek...=PI&lr=cbga_ca
That comes straight from the local newspaper online. It's NEVER good here, but there are always a few jobs to shoot for.
I had my share of no calls when I applied to jobs, shit happens. I know I'm too old / out of shape for a bust ass labor job. I need something that is not very physical.
We have an employment agency in town that is always looking for people to work at constructors digging ditches and such. They don't care about age. Maybe you have something like that in your town (job placement agency that is).
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #146
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,345
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

You take care of your needs before you take care of your wants.

In other words, you spend your money on shelter, food, water, heat, electicity, healthcare, and then if you have anything leftover, start taking care of your desires.

So yes, the poor should sit without cable TV until they can afford healthcare. Otherwise, they are complete pieces of shit in my book.
All on minimum wage huh? Talk about stretching a dollar.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #147
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,579
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Like what?
You can take night classes you know, that way it doesn't interfere with your job. There are always excuses. If you had free tuition you wouldn't figure out how to make it work?
Tuition is just part of the cost of college. Anyone who has been to college should know this. The cost of books is a separate cost, activity fees, there's a cost just to apply to college, the cost of room and board, food, and supplies. Heck, there are several colleges requiring students to have laptops, so that's another sizable cost. There is also a cost just to graduate college too.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #148
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
All on minimum wage huh? Talk about stretching a dollar.
Not a whole lot of people make min. wage.
Those that do, make it for a reason, and it's not cause they are exceptional employees.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #149
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Tuition is just part of the cost of college. Anyone who has been to college should know this. The cost of books is a separate cost, activity fees, there's a cost just to apply to college, the cost of room and board, food, and supplies. Heck, there are several colleges requiring students to have laptops, so that's another sizable cost. There is also a cost just to graduate college too.
Hold up...are you telling me there are no colleges near you at all? No community colleges you can commute to? There should be no need for room and board.
Yes, books are a part...buy used and save big.
Activity fees? What activities will you be doing? You should be focusing on school work and actual work, activities are a luxury.
The cost to apply is small. $39 I think.

Again, you go to night school and don't quit your job. You are assuming you need to quit your job and do what a 19 year old kid does when he moves to college...that's just not required.

If tuition is covered, there is very little other expenses required to make it.

ps- you can get a refurbished computer from the school if you just ask.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #150
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,345
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Hold up...are you telling me there are no colleges near you at all? No community colleges you can commute to? There should be no need for room and board.
Yes, books are a part...buy used and save big.
Activity fees? What activities will you be doing? You should be focusing on school work and actual work, activities are a luxury.
The cost to apply is small. $39 I think.

Again, you go to night school and don't quit your job. You are assuming you need to quit your job and do what a 19 year old kid does when he moves to college...that's just not required.

If tuition is covered, there is very little other expenses required to make it.

ps- you can get a refurbished computer from the school if you just ask.
What if someone has kids? It's not that easy to just say go to night school.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30711 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25