Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #166
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

edited out.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #167
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

FYI, I texted my friend that goes to NMSU (she does pay tuition) and I asked her how much she pays in non tuition per semester and she says $200 to $300 depending on the classes.
Sure it's not your area, but don't tell me it can't be done.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:50 PM   #168
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,331
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Yeah I don't really get this whole debate over college costs, seems out of place in this thread. But fees, books, and related costs are nothing in the grand scheme. You're talking about a couple thousand dollars over the course of four years, compared to crazy tuition bills, that's squadoosh.

But whatever, stuff costs what it costs. If you thought it wasn't worth it, you wouldn't pay it.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #169
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,331
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Yeah, I'd have a hard time believing that insulin shots for diabetics would be a luxury item.
You're right, I'd call that a "need" too. Healthcare is so complicated, there are a lot of grey areas that you can't cover with blanket statements like the one I made classifying certain things as needs and others as luxuries.

That complexity is actually one of the reasons that healthcare is so expensive these days. It takes a lot of brains just to sort through all this stuff, and those brains have to be paid.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:00 PM   #170
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,621
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Whatever dude...again I say, if your tuition is paid for don't you think you'd find a way to pay for the SMALL other costs????
You can argue all those other things all you want, but there is also online college like university of phoenix. You're acting as if going to college costs you a million dollars, but in fact, if you commute, and you have tuition paid for, there is no excuse not to go and the cost is easy to afford for anyone that has a job. That is not debatable for as much as you would like to debate it. Your main argument was room and board, but I have said a slew of times to commute and go at night. So even at your standards, 5 classes times $60 a book, that's $300...another $200 (rip off) for whatever you called it, and you're at $500. So you feel the need to spread the word that tuition isn't all of it, even though it's around 95%-97% or more of it?????? Yeah, good argument. Might as well tell everyone to keep doing what they are doing cause there is no hope.
Where did I say my tuition was paid for? I certainly never said that. In fact, I'm still paying on it. Secondly, you're the one who said there were programs out there that paid for your college in full. And I'm simply stating that there are other fees that go along with funding college other than tuition. That isn't up for debate. That is fact.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #171
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,621
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
FYI, I texted my friend that goes to NMSU (she does pay tuition) and I asked her how much she pays in non tuition per semester and she says $200 to $300 depending on the classes.
Sure it's not your area, but don't tell me it can't be done.
What is your point with college? What can't be done? What is NMSU? By the way, I paid my tuition...it wasn't free. Yeah, I bet you $200 to $300 per credit hour.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:09 PM   #172
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,621
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah I don't really get this whole debate over college costs, seems out of place in this thread. But fees, books, and related costs are nothing in the grand scheme. You're talking about a couple thousand dollars over the course of four years, compared to crazy tuition bills, that's squadoosh.

But whatever, stuff costs what it costs. If you thought it wasn't worth it, you wouldn't pay it.
I don't know. Jsarno and Matty had gotten on the subject and I only wanted to add that there other costs with college other than tuition. Then suddenly my college was free??? I guess I should stop paying on student loans.

Anyways, back on the subject. Yeah, I agree wth you Schneed10, there are a lot of gray areas when it comes to what are needs in the health field and what are luxuries. I think we all can agree that plastic surgery is a luxury. My whole gripe with it all is that those who are born with health problems (like my ex with diabetes) seem to be penalized for being born unhealthy.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #173
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
What is your point with college? What can't be done? What is NMSU? By the way, I paid my tuition...it wasn't free. Yeah, I bet you $200 to $300 per credit hour.
This might help

http://fa.nmsu.edu/forms/coa0607.pdf
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #174
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,621
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

Thanks SS. And it proved my point. Thanks for that.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #175
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Thanks SS. And it proved my point. Thanks for that.
Please explain how that proved your point? I am not sure you know what the arguement is about here.

BTW- by your last comment, you obviously jumped into the argument not knowing the base.
We were talking about a program that paid for your tuition, all you needed to do was come up with whatever other expenses there were, which are minor.

ps- $889 for NEW books per year is damn cheap. Cut that in half for used books and you're looking at around $225 per semester.

So let's look at the figures SS supplied for us. (BTW NMSU is a branch here in Carlsbad)
$1162 - Tuition and fees
$4602 - Room and board
$889 - Books and supplies
$1980 - Personal expenses
$1500 - Transportation

Take away Tuition if you are on the program we were discussing, take away room and board because I already live here as does everyone that goes to NMSU in Carlsbad. Personal Expenses is for financial aid purposes, but that is why you work a full time job to pay for your own personal expenses. Transportation is taken care of by yourself as well. That leaves approx. $225 per semester (as I showed by cutting books in half by buying used). I'll even throw in a few more dollars and bring it to $500 per year.
If you can't afford $500 a year to go to college, there is nothing you can afford.
Nice link SS. Thanks.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #176
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
What is your point with college? What can't be done? What is NMSU? By the way, I paid my tuition...it wasn't free. Yeah, I bet you $200 to $300 per credit hour.
You quoted me at $200-$300 per NON TUITION..IE: Books. You didn't even realize what you were quoting. SS proved that she is correct with those figures. Unless I am not understanding you because you are betting me $200-$300 per credit hour or something. Not understanding what you're getting at.
Again...don't jump into an argument if you don't know what is going on.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #177
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
But fees, books, and related costs are nothing in the grand scheme. You're talking about a couple thousand dollars over the course of four years, compared to crazy tuition bills, that's squadoosh.
exactly!!
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #178
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,005
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Please explain how that proved your point? I am not sure you know what the arguement is about here.

BTW- by your last comment, you obviously jumped into the argument not knowing the base.
We were talking about a program that paid for your tuition, all you needed to do was come up with whatever other expenses there were, which are minor.

ps- $889 for NEW books per year is damn cheap. Cut that in half for used books and you're looking at around $225 per semester.

So let's look at the figures SS supplied for us. (BTW NMSU is a branch here in Carlsbad)
$1162 - Tuition and fees
$4602 - Room and board
$889 - Books and supplies
$1980 - Personal expenses
$1500 - Transportation


Take away Tuition if you are on the program we were discussing, take away room and board because I already live here as does everyone that goes to NMSU in Carlsbad. Personal Expenses is for financial aid purposes, but that is why you work a full time job to pay for your own personal expenses. Transportation is taken care of by yourself as well. That leaves approx. $225 per semester (as I showed by cutting books in half by buying used). I'll even throw in a few more dollars and bring it to $500 per year.
If you can't afford $500 a year to go to college, there is nothing you can afford.
Nice link SS. Thanks.
That's $4369/year in non-tuition expenses. That's not exactly chump change.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #179
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

This argument really is going no where...so I will leave it until I get that info on the program I was speaking of.
I'll try to post it here tomorrow night.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:18 AM   #180
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Canadian Healthcare from a Canadian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
That's $4369/year in non-tuition expenses. That's not exactly chump change.
LOL...you obviously didn't read my post. Where is that transportation cost? That is for financial aid purposes...you don't pay that to the college...come on matty, use the noggin. If you want, I can supply you with the phone number and you can ask them to pick you up for that "transportation cost". LOL.
Same for personal expenses...do you write a check for "personal expenses" to the college, or do you pay for personal expenses cause they are just that...personal expenses????? That is alotted in the financial aid, not something is out of pocket up front.

You guys are too funny.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.43564 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25