Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


A Few DirecTV Questions

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
A Few DirecTV Questions

For folks with the new HD DVR...

Are there two tuners like the old DVRs? If so, I assume each requires its own coax run?

When you first activated it, did it require an initial "phone home" to complete the installation?

I am building a brand new house and plan to get atleast one of these units for when we move in. I'd like to have all the cabling in place (before drywall goes up) so that things will go smoothly (ie, no new holes).

Any insight appreciated.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,592
Re: A Few DirecTV Questions

The HD DVR requires two coaxles to run into it. I beleive you still need to have a phone line next to it as well. IMO I would have the electrician add two coaxles outlets, a surge protected power outlet and a phone line.

for the record DirecTV sucks but, each is own.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: A Few DirecTV Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
The HD DVR requires two coaxles to run into it. I beleive you still need to have a phone line next to it as well. IMO I would have the electrician add two coaxles outlets, a surge protected power outlet and a phone line.

for the record DirecTV sucks but, each is own.
Why do you say that?

I think it's well worth it if only for the Sunday Ticket. Nothing beats being able to flip through all the games, and I LOVE the redzone channel. If the Skins aren't on I'll watch that all day.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: A Few DirecTV Questions

I'm already a DirecTV customer and I love it. I like it a lot better than my sister in law's Dish system.

I don't have any of my current receivers hooked up to phone lines at the moment, and everything works OK (my Tivo nags me once a day, but going on 800 days w/ that, so no big deal). I'm just hoping that the HD receiver doesn't need to connect to initialize itself.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,312
Re: A Few DirecTV Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
I'm already a DirecTV customer and I love it. I like it a lot better than my sister in law's Dish system.

I don't have any of my current receivers hooked up to phone lines at the moment, and everything works OK (my Tivo nags me once a day, but going on 800 days w/ that, so no big deal). I'm just hoping that the HD receiver doesn't need to connect to initialize itself.
The newer HDDVR receiver( i think its the HR20?) don't require a telephone line.
I had mine installed just before football season and asked the installer, the Installer said only the TIVO receivers need to be connected to a phone line.

Also, The new receiver will allow you to get the new HD channels. The older TIVO DVR isn't compatible with the new satellite.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,592
Re: A Few DirecTV Questions

In my area DirecTV is horrible and I already get every Skins game with Comcast. NFL Ticket is cool but too much money. I was DTV customer for like eight years in Fairfax VA no problems. Moved to outside of B-more could not get a signal worth of crap, techs were horrible, and I was sick of always having to buy more equipment to keep up with the HD wave.

Like I said to each is own but, you will never get me to go back to them.

Actually last week I finally took down all their crap from my roof. The satellite makes a great sled!!!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: A Few DirecTV Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
The newer HDDVR receiver( i think its the HR20?) don't require a telephone line.
I had mine installed just before football season and asked the installer, the Installer said only the TIVO receivers need to be connected to a phone line.

Also, The new receiver will allow you to get the new HD channels. The older TIVO DVR isn't compatible with the new satellite.
Great. Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
The Starter
 
jbcjr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 44
Posts: 2,012
Re: A Few DirecTV Questions

DirecTV is the savior for me living outside the Redskins viewing area. The NFL ticket is worth its weight in gold for me and watching 95% of the games in HD is nothing but pure bliss. I love it, never had a signal problem and will continue to use DirecTV unless they lose the NFL contract.
__________________
"Work Harder: millions on welfare are counting on you" - Obama 2009 address to Congress.
jbcjr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: A Few DirecTV Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcjr14 View Post
DirecTV is the savior for me living outside the Redskins viewing area. The NFL ticket is worth its weight in gold for me and watching 95% of the games in HD is nothing but pure bliss. I love it, never had a signal problem and will continue to use DirecTV unless they lose the NFL contract.
yep, ditto for me
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.21153 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25