Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #31
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,364
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
Yeah, stats are nice and all, but some good old fashioned logic and rational thinking goes a long way.

I'm a burglar. House A has a homeowner with no firearms of any sort. House B the homeowner is armed and trained. Which house should I rob?
And conversely, I'm a kid who lives in house A with no firearms of any sort. In house B, there's another kid who's father is armed and trained. Which kid has the greater risk of getting hurt?
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #32
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,401
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You sure your dad isn't a made guy?
LOL

Nah, he works for the government.

Maybe he's a spy though?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #33
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,458
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocliw View Post
The Andy Griffith days are over. You can't leave home with your doors unlocked. You damn sure can't let your children get out of your sight. I'm not a hunter or a gun fanatic but I do own one just in case.

I have two kids and neither one of them know I have it. I don't keep it loaded because of my kids. Hell the bullets and the gun are in two different parts of the house well hidden. I guess if a burglar showed up I'd have to ask him if he minded waiting a sec so I could load up.

We have all heard noises outside and went to take a look. I feel a little better going out with something other than a flashlight and a stick.
'
If you have a dog, maybe the dog will hear the intruder first and give you time to go chasing around the house to find your piece and your loads. Educate your kids about guns and the safe handling of same. The NRA will help you, if you want. They have many programs for kids. They may not be at your house when they encounter a gun and the curiosity to play with it.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #34
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
And conversely, I'm a kid who lives in house A with no firearms of any sort. In house B, there's another kid who's father is armed and trained. Which kid has the greater risk of getting hurt?
If the kid is properly trained, neither.

The whole kids and firearms argument, to me, is about as weak as it gets. It sure hits the old heart strings when you bring up the kids, but it's not really grounded in much.

When I was about 5 years old, my father took me aside, pulled out his old .22 Colt Woodsman, unloaded it and let me hold it. He told me where he kept it, why he kept it and explained how it worked. He then told me that if I ever wanted to hold it or see it to just ask him, any time of the night or day, and he'd do it with me. At the age of about 8 he took me to the range and taught me to shoot, and also fire three rounds while neither of us had ear protection on, so that I would know what a live fired weapon sounds like. I never snuck into his room to handle a gun, because all I had to do was ask.

Basically the firearm wasn't shrouded in secrecy, locked up, put away and never talked about. That amount of shady secrecy is going to guarantee that a kid will go looking for it.

Yes, untrained, unparented kids find guns and do stupid stuff. They can also grab the car keys and go drive down the road, or drink a bottle of Draino, or stab themselves in the eye with a knife, but I don't hear anyone arguing that nobody should have cars, knives or Draino.

There are some decent arguments against everyone having guns, but "the children" is not one of them.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #35
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocliw View Post
The Andy Griffith days are over. You can't leave home with your doors unlocked. You damn sure can't let your children get out of your sight. I'm not a hunter or a gun fanatic but I do own one just in case.

I have two kids and neither one of them know I have it. I don't keep it loaded because of my kids. Hell the bullets and the gun are in two different parts of the house well hidden. I guess if a burglar showed up I'd have to ask him if he minded waiting a sec so I could load up.

We have all heard noises outside and went to take a look. I feel a little better going out with something other than a flashlight and a stick.
I'm glad you at least have a gun, but an unloaded firearm with ammunition in the other room is about as useful as a 2 pound paperweight when it comes to home defense.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #36
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,364
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
If the kid is properly trained, neither.

The whole kids and firearms argument, to me, is about as weak as it gets. It sure hits the old heart strings when you bring up the kids, but it's not really grounded in much.

When I was about 5 years old, my father took me aside, pulled out his old .22 Colt Woodsman, unloaded it and let me hold it. He told me where he kept it, why he kept it and explained how it worked. He then told me that if I ever wanted to hold it or see it to just ask him, any time of the night or day, and he'd do it with me. At the age of about 8 he took me to the range and taught me to shoot, and also fire three rounds while neither of us had ear protection on, so that I would know what a live fired weapon sounds like. I never snuck into his room to handle a gun, because all I had to do was ask.

Basically the firearm wasn't shrouded in secrecy, locked up, put away and never talked about. That amount of shady secrecy is going to guarantee that a kid will go looking for it.

Yes, untrained, unparented kids find guns and do stupid stuff. They can also grab the car keys and go drive down the road, or drink a bottle of Draino, or stab themselves in the eye with a knife, but I don't hear anyone arguing that nobody should have cars, knives or Draino.

There are some decent arguments against everyone having guns, but "the children" is not one of them.
But you're assuming the child is properly trained. You can't assume that all parents are going to be responsible about guns and train their kids like you were trained. It's up to the parents, and if the parents are irresponsible, like so many are, the poor kid is subjected to a situation over which he has no control.

It's not like a 7 year old is going to go out and seek training. If his dad isn't as good a parent as your father was to you, he's up a creek. When it comes to adults accidentally killing themselves because they have no training, I have little sympathy, because you reap what you sow. But a 7 year old? He's the victim of poor parenting, and you can't dismiss that with the old 'you reap what you sow' argument. The children need to be protected from their own parents at times.

I don't know how you do that effectively, mind you. But I definitely disagree that kids aren't a valid argument against owning a gun. In your situation, I'll agree. But not for most.

I still maintain that moving away from crime to safer neighborhoods is the most effective way to provide a safe life for you and your family.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #37
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
But you're assuming the child is properly trained. You can't assume that all parents are going to be responsible about guns and train their kids like you were trained. It's up to the parents, and if the parents are irresponsible, like so many are, the poor kid is subjected to a situation over which he has no control.

It's not like a 7 year old is going to go out and seek training. If his dad isn't as good a parent as your father was to you, he's up a creek. When it comes to adults accidentally killing themselves because they have no training, I have little sympathy, because you reap what you sow. But a 7 year old? He's the victim of poor parenting, and you can't dismiss that with the old 'you reap what you sow' argument. The children need to be protected from their own parents at times.

I don't know how you do that effectively, mind you. But I definitely disagree that kids aren't a valid argument against owning a gun. In your situation, I'll agree. But not for most.

I still maintain that moving away from crime to safer neighborhoods is the most effective way to provide a safe life for you and your family.
From that standpoint I would agree with you. Irresponsible adults should not own guns, and irresponsible adults with untrained children should not own guns.

They should also not own about a thousand other common household items.

You don't seem to be arguing for a total gun ban, so I'm not saying it from that standpoint. So many times, though, people argue that all guns should be banned "for the children," which is simply throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Working in the projects I saw young kids being the victims on a regular of poor nutrition, emotional, physical and sexual abuse far more often than. No, those aren't life ending the way a firearm can be, but when idiots have kids, bad stuff happens. You are absolutely right that stupid parents put their kids in situations where the kid is a victim. That's going to happen whether a gun is there or not. The kids life is a clusterfuck at that point and is probably exposed to any number of dangerous situations day in and day out.

When I speak of the "average citizen" having a gun for self defense, I'm really more referring to your lower-middle class and up folks. People with a decent job, provide for a family, kids go to school, parents work hard. What I would characterize as the bulk of America.

Yes, I agree that some idiot living in a hole who lets their kid do whatever they want all day and never parents them, absolutely should not have a gun. Or a car.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #38
Special Teams
 
Ocliw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Age: 47
Posts: 253
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
I'm glad you at least have a gun, but an unloaded firearm with ammunition in the other room is about as useful as a 2 pound paperweight when it comes to home defense.
Lol...true. I bought it years ago before I had kids. I'm just lulled into a false sense of security that I'll never need it. Nice neighborhood,low crime area, etc.. which I know doesn't mean crap these days.
Ocliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #39
Camp Scrub
 
TheHolyGibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Woodstock, MD
Posts: 42
Talking Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Never in my wildest dreams did I think there would be soooo many worms in this here can...gaaaaawwwwwlllleey gee whiz.

I think my best bet is to

-make my neighbor with kids buy a gun, ask him to rush right over if he ever hears anything strange, and make sure my kids never ever play over there

-always live in the poorest looking house on the whole block

-get a German Shepherd with the mange and a drooling problem.
TheHolyGibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #40
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Big dogs are actually an excellent source of home protection, actually. Dogs are a huge deterrent to burglars, whether you're home or not....

As far as handguns go, my sister was at VT, where they don't allow handguns. While she wasn't directly around the action, had a trained person been willing to carry the responsibility of protecting their peers been there that day, the death toll would certainly not have been as bad. Not only that, but if more of these Mass Murder/Suicide shooters were taken out quickly, I would speculate there would not be as many copy-cats.

When I read the story of the two girls shot at the mega-chuch, and the security lady popping him a few times before he offed himself, I realized that the cops can't be everywhere at once. I grew up around guns and even members of my family in the various military branches are in awe of my knowledge and shooting skills, being a civilian.

I decided to get my concealed carry permit 2 weeks ago. I now work nights and we just let go a guy who is very much a loner, pathological liar, listens to death metal, lives with mom, etc... and always talks about guns. I've been wearing my CZ-75B cocked and locked on my hip since we let him go.... I can't shake the feeling that he completely fits the bill of one of these guys.


I'm not saying everyone should have a gun, but I think if you're a responsible person and willing to accept that role, you should. The Good Samaritan Law is a great law, and I am greatly saddened by the state of this country, but I will not turn a blind eye to it and will do what I can to help the situation.

In my opinion banning guns to prevent gun crimes is as stupid as banning the internet to prevent cyber-sexual predators and identity theft.

Just my
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #41
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Boy Dmek, do you ever live in the wrong neck of the woods. How's it feel being the only democrat in Lancaster?
right now its feeling pretty darn good, considering how much of a mess this administration has made of our beautiful country
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #42
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,279
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

he listens to death metal???? must be a serial killer waiting to strike :P

sorry, but its actually much more mainstream now with in flames, dark tranquility, etc selling millions of cds.

I mean, i'm a bit of a loner and fully trained on assault rifles with access too, but my friends (also liking the death metal) and i aren't ever going to go shoot some place up.

i know that's not really what you meant, but it's really not bad music. black metal is the crap about burning curches and killing people and loving satan. it just sounds like noise.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #43
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
he listens to death metal???? must be a serial killer waiting to strike :P

sorry, but its actually much more mainstream now with in flames, dark tranquility, etc selling millions of cds.

I mean, i'm a bit of a loner and fully trained on assault rifles with access too, but my friends (also liking the death metal) and i aren't ever going to go shoot some place up.

i know that's not really what you meant, but it's really not bad music. black metal is the crap about burning curches and killing people and loving satan. it just sounds like noise.

I'm not pigeon holing a group of people based on musical preference, but I'd feel a bit more at ease if his taste in music was willie nelson or some shit. If this guy were driving around listening to MMMMBOP I wouldn't give him a second thought, know what I mean?


and you mention friends... this guy has none. he's got serious issues.
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #44
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

for those of you who are glock fans, Im seriously considering sending my Model 22 .40 off to these guys

they do have redskins stuff...
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #45
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: AST (After Sean Taylor)-To gun or not to gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
for those of you who are glock fans, Im seriously considering sending my Model 22 .40 off to these guys

they do have redskins stuff...
That's crazy...never seen that before.

And no, I'm not a Glock fan. Can't stand 'em
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33538 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25