Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


SLR Digital camera

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,061
SLR Digital camera

Greetings, any camera people in the house?
I am goinig to buy a Digital SLR. After reading a few tests, the Nikon D80 is leading the pack. I am considering a package deal with a 18-135, and a 70-300 VR (both Nikon)
I will be taking pics of my kids, who play HS Lacross, some nature stuff, as well as the usual fair. Will the 70-300 be sufficient to deliver good big action pic's? taken from the sidelines
Any thoughts on "must haves", "do not's", great bargains? places to buy? Places not to buy or thoughts in general.
Thanx for the info-Warpather
HTTR
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,330
Re: SLR Digital camera

I would recommend broadbandreports.com. They have a great digital imaging forum with very friendly people. I would ask your question over there or atleast read some of the older threads. It might answer some questions you have.
Digital Imaging Technology forum - dslreports.com broadband community
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,061
Re: SLR Digital camera

Much appreciated, Jamf. I will
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: SLR Digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Greetings, any camera people in the house?
I am goinig to buy a Digital SLR. After reading a few tests, the Nikon D80 is leading the pack. I am considering a package deal with a 18-135, and a 70-300 VR (both Nikon)
I will be taking pics of my kids, who play HS Lacross, some nature stuff, as well as the usual fair. Will the 70-300 be sufficient to deliver good big action pic's? taken from the sidelines
Any thoughts on "must haves", "do not's", great bargains? places to buy? Places not to buy or thoughts in general.
Thanx for the info-Warpather
HTTR
As far as camera bodies go, do yourself a huge favor, skip the D80 and buy the D40.

I've owned a D70, D70s and D80 and have just gone to the D40.

Unless you are a professional photographer and plan on shooting 8 hours a day, the D40 will meet and exceed all of your needs for a dirt cheap price. If you ARE a professional, you wouldn't be looking at the D80 to begin with

Ken Rockwell is pretty much a genius in my opinion when it comes to photography, very well balanced and down-to-earth. He's a professional photographer, and he grabs his D40 for almost everything he does. Check out Ken Rockwell: Recommended Cameras

He also has great reviews on lenses. The kit lens with the D40 is surprisingly good, and the 70-300mm VR is an EXCELLENT lens, especially for sports. Rockwell has a great review on it as well: 17-300mm VR
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: SLR Digital camera

A 300mm lens will be great for sideline shots. I have a 70-300 Sigma APO DG paired with a Pentax K100d and it is great for sports actions shots (assuming I have the settings right ).

I grew up in a Pentax family, so I feel obliged to push the Pentax line. They are great cameras. The image stabilization is built into the camera body, so any lens you use will benefit from IS. This includes any K-mount Pentax lens produced over the last 30+ years (you can find some great deals on old, excellent quality glass). I have a K100d, which is only a 6.1mp camera, but image quality is outstanding. Here are a few pictures I've taken with it... Picture album dimaging - dslreports.com

Now that I'm done with the Pentax pitch...the Nikon D80 is a good camera. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.

I frequent the digital imaging forums over at BBR as a lurker. There are some very knowledgeable people over there.

I bought my camera from http://www.beachcamera.com They have good prices and the shipping was fast.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,728
Re: SLR Digital camera

You guys are some serious camera junkies.

I'm feeling like a loser over here with my new Sony cybershot.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,330
Re: SLR Digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
You guys are some serious camera junkies.

I'm feeling like a loser over here with my new Sony cybershot.
I got a new Cybershot for Xmas, Gift to myself!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: SLR Digital camera

Just lost my whole damn post.

Let me start over: Adorama has good prices and I've always been happy with their service. Amazon is also a good resource, as is Buy.com. Never had a bad experience with either of them.

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ has a really handy side-by-side comparison tool that let's you compare cameras feature-by-feature. Beware the forums though, as technophiles troll relentlessly, arguing all day that it's worth an extra $2,000 to have ISO 2000. I kid obviously, but some of those guys just tweak me the wrong way as they seem to have no concept of return on investment.

I really can't speak highly enough about the D40. Last check on Amazon had it going for $470 shipped with the surprisingly good 18-55 mm kit lens. A D80 will run you close to $800.

What's the extra $300+ get you over the D40? Mostly added weight and bulk. It also gets you 3 FPS vs 2.5, and ISO as low as 100 as opposed to the "paltry" ISO 200 of the D40. You can also adjust EV in 1/2 step increments as opposed to the 1/3 increments of the D40.

If you want to haul a bigger, heavier, bulkier camera around all so you can have ISO 100 and an extra .5 FPS, then be my guest.

Personally I took the $300 I saved and put it towards the excellent 70-300MM VR.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,728
Re: SLR Digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I got a new Cybershot for Xmas, Gift to myself!
I really like it. It's great for what I need.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,061
Re: SLR Digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
A 300mm lens will be great for sideline shots. I have a 70-300 Sigma APO DG paired with a Pentax K100d and it is great for sports actions shots (assuming I have the settings right ).

I grew up in a Pentax family, so I feel obliged to push the Pentax line. They are great cameras. The image stabilization is built into the camera body, so any lens you use will benefit from IS. This includes any K-mount Pentax lens produced over the last 30+ years (you can find some great deals on old, excellent quality glass). I have a K100d, which is only a 6.1mp camera, but image quality is outstanding. Here are a few pictures I've taken with it... Picture album dimaging - dslreports.com

Now that I'm done with the Pentax pitch...the Nikon D80 is a good camera. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.

I frequent the digital imaging forums over at BBR as a lurker. There are some very knowledgeable people over there.

I bought my camera from http://www.beachcamera.com They have good prices and the shipping was fast.
I used Pentax gear for many years in the film world-Top shelf stuff Good advice
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,061
Re: SLR Digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
Just lost my whole damn post.

Let me start over: Adorama has good prices and I've always been happy with their service. Amazon is also a good resource, as is Buy.com. Never had a bad experience with either of them.

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ has a really handy side-by-side comparison tool that let's you compare cameras feature-by-feature. Beware the forums though, as technophiles troll relentlessly, arguing all day that it's worth an extra $2,000 to have ISO 2000. I kid obviously, but some of those guys just tweak me the wrong way as they seem to have no concept of return on investment.

I really can't speak highly enough about the D40. Last check on Amazon had it going for $470 shipped with the surprisingly good 18-55 mm kit lens. A D80 will run you close to $800.

What's the extra $300+ get you over the D40? Mostly added weight and bulk. It also gets you 3 FPS vs 2.5, and ISO as low as 100 as opposed to the "paltry" ISO 200 of the D40. You can also adjust EV in 1/2 step increments as opposed to the 1/3 increments of the D40.

If you want to haul a bigger, heavier, bulkier camera around all so you can have ISO 100 and an extra .5 FPS, then be my guest.

Personally I took the $300 I saved and put it towards the excellent 70-300MM VR.
I've been reading your guys stuff on the D40, etc. He makes good points. I don't know how he finds time to take any pic's with all the info he has amassed.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,467
Re: SLR Digital camera

Matty, jamf - don't feel bad. I got a Kodak EasyShare Z812 IS because I don't have the time or patience to relearn how to use a SLR camera (I took photography in high school, and learned on my Dad's Pentax K-1000), and the Z812 IS has enough manual modes to suit my needs once I want to start taking "serious" photos.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

ďWE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.Ē - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: SLR Digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I've been reading your guys stuff on the D40, etc. He makes good points. I don't know how he finds time to take any pic's with all the info he has amassed.
I stumbled upon Ken Rockwell about two years ago and have been a faithful reader. I agree with him on pretty much everything except his stance on Macs (he thinks they're a gift from heaven.)

He's just down to earth. He won't try to convince you to buy a $4,000 piece of equipment that you don't need, but at the same time he doesn't hesitate to pay for quality where it's needed and useful.

He's not terribly loyal to any one brand either. If Canon is better he goes with that, if Nikon makes something better he'll do that, Pentax, etc. Always thought it was convincing from that standpoint that he typically gravitates toward Nikon, though he's recently been using more Canon stuff.

Just an awesome approach to anything in life if you ask me.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: SLR Digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I used Pentax gear for many years in the film world-Top shelf stuff Good advice
On January 24, Pentax is expected to announce the release of their next generation dSLR's. K20d, K200d, etc. Rumored to be huge improvements coming to an already fantastic line of cameras.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,061
Re: SLR Digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
On January 24, Pentax is expected to announce the release of their next generation dSLR's. K20d, K200d, etc. Rumored to be huge improvements coming to an already fantastic line of cameras.
Hmmm, that's interesting
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32033 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25