Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Media Bias

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 8,317
Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
You may be the only person in the country who is "not a leftie" and also doesn't think that PBS has a Liberal Bias. That's not a position that Centrists or Conservatives generally hold. It's an interesting technique, though. You hear it on C-Span call in shows a lot: "I've been a Republican all my life, but this year I'm voting for the Democrats". Sure. Whatever.
No need to imply that I'm lying about my centrist credentials. As many left-leaning people on this site who are familiar with me know (dmek, Matty, Shane), I am FAR from a "leftie." I'm pro-surge, pro death penalty, pro free trade/globalization, detest Hillary Clinton, anti-late term abortion etc. I'm also pro-choice (with limitations), pro gay marriage, and will most likely vote for Obama. In the minds of most of my friends off of this site, I'm known as more right leaning than left leaning. I'm only viewed as more left-leaning than right-leaning by party-line conservatives.

As for PBS' supposed bias, please elaborate? My guess is you don't watch it that much.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Media Bias

I am an Independant, but I certainly lean to the right, that being said, I will agree Foxnews caters to the right, however, I listen to them because they are the only ones that will actually speak about right wing issues. NBC is notorious for being left, and when you watch, they will do their best to deter you from listening to the right wing issues. I enjoy watching foxnews for the simple fact they will speak about all the issues, and all the angles. I feel they are much easier to learn from instead of watching other shows and being bombarded by what the person you are watching thinks.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 44
Posts: 3,048
Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
No need to imply that I'm lying about my centrist credentials. As many left-leaning people on this site who are familiar with me know (dmek, Matty, Shane), I am FAR from a "leftie." I'm pro-surge, pro death penalty, pro free trade/globalization, detest Hillary Clinton, anti-late term abortion etc. I'm also pro-choice (with limitations), pro gay marriage, and will most likely vote for Obama. In the minds of most of my friends off of this site, I'm known as more right leaning than left leaning. I'm only viewed as more left-leaning than right-leaning by party-line conservatives.

As for PBS' supposed bias, please elaborate? My guess is you don't watch it that much.
I don't think you're being dishonest. I also don't think that detesting Hillary Clinton or being against Partial Birth makes you right leaning. After all, Baraq is the more liberal of the two. I don't go along with everything the right believes but that hardly makes me a "centrist". The pundit-class has made a fetish of the notion of being in the "center". There is an assumption that if you are part one thing and part another you are more thoughtful or even psychologically more balanced. I don't accept that.

I watch PBS quite a bit. The NewsHour is reasonably fair. Probably more balanced than many others, however:

Charlie Rose -Liberal
Tavis Smiley -Liberal
Bill Moyers -Liberal
Frontline -Liberal
American Experience -Somewhat Less Liberal

I also suspect that Norm Abram from This Old House was in the Weather Underground, though I have never been able to prove it. And don't get me started on Big Bird or that guy from Blues Clues.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 8,317
Re: Media Bias

70Chip,

You do realize that the President of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is the former co-Chair of the Republican National Committee and a majority of the board of directors are Republicans?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #20
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,117
Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
70Chip,

You do realize that the Chairman of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is a Republican and a majority of the board of directors are Republicans?

And that Blue's Clues is on Noggin
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #21
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 8,317
Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And that Blue's Clues is on Noggin
Yup, but PBS does have the Teletubbies (which include the gay/purple and red/communist insurgent creatures).
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #22
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
I don't think you're being dishonest. I also don't think that detesting Hillary Clinton or being against Partial Birth makes you right leaning. After all, Baraq is the more liberal of the two. I don't go along with everything the right believes but that hardly makes me a "centrist". The pundit-class has made a fetish of the notion of being in the "center". There is an assumption that if you are part one thing and part another you are more thoughtful or even psychologically more balanced. I don't accept that.

I watch PBS quite a bit. The NewsHour is reasonably fair. Probably more balanced than many others, however:

Charlie Rose -Liberal
Tavis Smiley -Liberal
Bill Moyers -Liberal
Frontline -Liberal
American Experience -Somewhat Less Liberal

I also suspect that Norm Abram from This Old House was in the Weather Underground, though I have never been able to prove it. And don't get me started on Big Bird or that guy from Blues Clues.
There is no denying that most of the folks on PBS are liberal the question is do they talk about worthy issues and topics? Fox, CNN, MSNBC put together don't cover half of the stuff PBS reports on. I suppose it's all a matter of taste. Charlie Rose interviews the most obscure people, people you never hear about but should. Bill Moyer brings you interesting stories rather than what Britney has been up to. Tavis Smiley covers quite a bit of topics that concern African Americans but the topics are very broad and are not limited to just African Americans.

Viva la PBS
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 44
Posts: 3,048
Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
70Chip,

You do realize that the President of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is the former co-Chair of the Republican National Committee and a majority of the board of directors are Republicans?
Yeah, but they don't have anything to do with content. That's just a by-product of the fact that the GOP controlled congress from 1995 to 2007. They should have just scrapped the whole thing, instead they use it to give status jobs to their friends. I think if you want to know what the prevailing attitude of the people who actuallyu control what is seen on PBS, the following story is instructive:

Frank Gaffney vs. PBS
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #24
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 44
Posts: 3,048
Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
There is no denying that most of the folks on PBS are liberal the question is do they talk about worthy issues and topics? Fox, CNN, MSNBC put together don't cover half of the stuff PBS reports on. I suppose it's all a matter of taste. Charlie Rose interviews the most obscure people, people you never hear about but should. Bill Moyer brings you interesting stories rather than what Britney has been up to. Tavis Smiley covers quite a bit of topics that concern African Americans but the topics are very broad and are not limited to just African Americans.

Viva la PBS

I like it too. But the fact that I enjoy it doesn't make me feel the need to pretend that its not reflective of a very narrow viewpoint. And, we haven't even touched on the subject of NPR, yet.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #25
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
Yeah, but they don't have anything to do with content. That's just a by-product of the fact that the GOP controlled congress from 1995 to 2007. They should have just scrapped the whole thing, instead they use it to give status jobs to their friends. I think if you want to know what the prevailing attitude of the people who actuallyu control what is seen on PBS, the following story is instructive:

Frank Gaffney vs. PBS
do you really believe that the board that runs the network doesn't have a say on what is put on? i agree that all news is slanted. i think the degree of the bias is the question. it seems fox goes over board in slanting towards the G.O.P. you can still get some real news out of the others, if you try hard enough. fox news is more interested in the entertainment value
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 44
Posts: 3,048
Re: Media Bias

I just remembered that the ex-hippe father on "Family Ties", played by Micheal Gross, was the manager of the local PBS station on the show, which I think shows that the perception even in Hollywood is that PBS is Leftish.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #27
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,117
Re: Media Bias

I worked for PBS for a year and I'm not a Lefty (except for when I play hockey)
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 8,317
Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
I just remembered that the ex-hippe father on "Family Ties", played by Micheal Gross, was the manager of the local PBS station on the show, which I think shows that the perception even in Hollywood is that PBS is Leftish.
Are there lefties working at PBS? Yes. Does PBS air programs with a left-leaning slant? Yes. Do people perceive PBS as left-leaning? Yup. It is simply my opinion that PBS airs some of the most balanced, informative, and interesting television programs. PBS doesn't have Glenn Becks, Keith Obermans, Lou Dobbs, or O'Reillys on its airwaves. PBS doesn't try to make its programs sexy, it tries to make them informative. They don't air story after story about Britney showing her s****h in public, Jessica Simpson's latest boyfriend, etc.

I will leave it at that.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.26709 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25