Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Which game would be better? I haven't bought a baseball game in a few years, so I am unsure of which game to get. What do you guys think?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,850
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Which game would be better? I haven't bought a baseball game in a few years, so I am unsure of which game to get. What do you guys think?
I just bought MLB 2k8 and it is lackluster at best. I really enjoyed The Show last year. But I think we gotta wait at least another month before its released. 2k8 did some innovative stuff with this year like an improved swing stick and improved pitching (that I can't get the hang of for the life of me) but the graphics especially of the players look like ass. The stadiums on the other hand look great.

The music is terrible, the menu setup is bad. I mean it was like 2k8 took a step back.

Between 1-10, 10 being best baseball sim of the year. This game is like a 6-7 tops. The kind of game you rent when there's nothing else you wanna play.

I'd wait until The Show comes out and then try to make a decision then. Right now I'm getting the feeling 2k8 is the game I'll end up trading in when The Show comes out.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I just bought MLB 2k8 and it is lackluster at best. I really enjoyed The Show last year. But I think we gotta wait at least another month before its released. 2k8 did some innovative stuff with this year like an improved swing stick and improved pitching (that I can't get the hang of for the life of me) but the graphics especially of the players look like ass. The stadiums on the other hand look great.

The music is terrible, the menu setup is bad. I mean it was like 2k8 took a step back.

Between 1-10, 10 being best baseball sim of the year. This game is like a 6-7 tops. The kind of game you rent when there's nothing else you wanna play.

I'd wait until The Show comes out and then try to make a decision then. Right now I'm getting the feeling 2k8 is the game I'll end up trading in when The Show comes out.

Thanks for the info. I heard that MLB 08 the show just came out ysterday though.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,312
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

I just picked up 2K8, I like it but the pitch style is hard to get a hang of.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

What systems are you guys playing on?

Does EA still do a baseball game? It's been a long time since I got hooked on a baseball game.

Anyone remember Ken Griffey Baseball back in the day? I think that was the last baseball game that I really liked.

And then of course there was the legendary RBI Baseball!
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,850
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
What systems are you guys playing on?

Does EA still do a baseball game? It's been a long time since I got hooked on a baseball game.

Anyone remember Ken Griffey Baseball back in the day? I think that was the last baseball game that I really liked.

And then of course there was the legendary RBI Baseball!
I'm playing on 360. The Show 08 got great reviews on IGN but unfortunately it looks like it's only available on PS3, PS2 and PSP. Are 360 owners SOL this year?

I'm still gonna pick it up but I only have 1 HD TV which means I'm gonna have to bring my PS3 back upstairs and hook it to my HDTV.


...Oh and don't forget Frank Thomas Big Hurt baseball.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
What systems are you guys playing on?

Does EA still do a baseball game? It's been a long time since I got hooked on a baseball game.

Anyone remember Ken Griffey Baseball back in the day? I think that was the last baseball game that I really liked.

And then of course there was the legendary RBI Baseball!
I loved RBI baseball. RBI Baseball was to baseball what TECMO bowl was to football.

EA makes Major League Baseball 2k8.

So, was I right? Did MLB the SHow come out yesterday? I just heard it did, but don't know for sure.

PS2 for now...thinking about picking up the PS3...not sure I can justify the money for it though.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,812
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

I've never played a baseball game on the system before, I was planning on getting one of them when I get a PS3 later this year, because I want to get updated versions of all the games I like, I'm still playing NHL 05 and NBA Live 05 lolol, it's time I get updated versions especially on the next gen systems. I'm probably gonna MLB the Show just because everyone says that's the better game to get. But what I can expect, what are the controls like? I follow baseball very vaguely from time to time and I've never played it on a system before so idk what to expect.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,458
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

EA doesn't make MLB 2k8, 2k Sports does. When EA lost the exclusive rights to MLBPA, they made a college game two years in a row (MVP NCAA Baseball). Not sure if they are going to make another...

RBI was great. But to this day, my fave baseball game was Little League Baseball Championship Series on NES. Based on Bad News Baseball, it was awesome. Still play it using FCE Ultra/Nesticle and my computer.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,850
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I loved RBI baseball. RBI Baseball was to baseball what TECMO bowl was to football.

EA makes Major League Baseball 2k8.

So, was I right? Did MLB the SHow come out yesterday? I just heard it did, but don't know for sure.

PS2 for now...thinking about picking up the PS3...not sure I can justify the money for it though.
Yes it came out yesterday. Very close to picking up a 9 on IGN for both systems, (PS2 and PS3)

Definitely worth picking up.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
EA doesn't make MLB 2k8, 2k Sports does. When EA lost the exclusive rights to MLBPA, they made a college game two years in a row (MVP NCAA Baseball). Not sure if they are going to make another...

RBI was great. But to this day, my fave baseball game was Little League Baseball Championship Series on NES. Based on Bad News Baseball, it was awesome. Still play it using FCE Ultra/Nesticle and my computer.
You are absolutely correct, my bad. I thought EA made it, I was incorrect.

Is there a retro TECMO Bowl for PS2 OR PS3?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
What systems are you guys playing on?

Does EA still do a baseball game? It's been a long time since I got hooked on a baseball game.

Anyone remember Ken Griffey Baseball back in the day? I think that was the last baseball game that I really liked.

And then of course there was the legendary RBI Baseball!
1986 World Series Game Six Re-enacted in RBI Baseball
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,458
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
You are absolutely correct, my bad. I thought EA made it, I was incorrect.

Is there a retro TECMO Bowl for PS2 OR PS3?
No worries...

No, however, there is a loyal fan base that updates NES Tecmo Super Bowl each year... Tecmo Repository Message Board • Portal How loyal? One of the members rewrote the code so that the rom would have all 32 teams.

Supposedly, Tecmo is working on a football game for the 360/PS3/Wii that will have the similar feel of the older game, but with more up to date features.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,900
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Last year 2k7 was way better this year I dont know 2k8 didnt live up to me
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #15
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: MLB 2008 the show or Major League Baseball 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
No worries...

No, however, there is a loyal fan base that updates NES Tecmo Super Bowl each year... Tecmo Repository Message Board • Portal How loyal? One of the members rewrote the code so that the rom would have all 32 teams.

Supposedly, Tecmo is working on a football game for the 360/PS3/Wii that will have the similar feel of the older game, but with more up to date features.
So does that mean there is a game floating around somewhere?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29608 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25