Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


How to Fix Social Security

Parking Lot


View Poll Results: How Would You Fix Social Security?
Raise Tax 0 0%
Cut Benefits 1 4.17%
Privatize 12 50.00%
Other (explain) 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #16
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Privatizing is the most efficient use of our money, by far. Any other solution makes no sense from an economic standpoint.
True, but economics isn't always the most realistic solution to a financial problem. You can't assume away the irrational actor when it comes to the types of people relying on social security.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #17
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Even if it was sustainable (which it isn't), with the accelerating rate of inflation looming, $520 isn't going to buy a decent pair of shoes in 40 years. Of course, since the tax is a percentage, I would be paying well more in tax than I would ever receive.

The only wrong answer here is to increase the tax. Even if we do nothing, at least the fund will exhaust itself, and then the program will be dead anyway...its just that a bunch of people will be screwed since they were dependent on it.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #18
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
True, but economics isn't always the most realistic solution to a financial problem. You can't assume away the irrational actor when it comes to the types of people relying on social security.
Actually economics is exactly the most realistic way to fixing a financial problem. I think you mean mathematics isn't the best way. Economics does in fact at its core rely on people acting in a way that is predictable. Predictably good or bad depending on the situation.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #19
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
True, but economics isn't always the most realistic solution to a financial problem. You can't assume away the irrational actor when it comes to the types of people relying on social security.
Is there any particular example where this statement has actually held water?

I don't know one way or another, but it just sounds incorrect.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #20
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
I say privatize it so that the majority of your money goes into something that can build compound intrest, for one.

Secondly, if the govt decides to dip into it, there is a smaller portion that they would be able to touch.

Overall it is a win, win, win.

Economy, beneficiary, govt.
I voted privatize for the same reason you mention. Good post.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #21
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
strengthen the "death tax."
I gotta say this is the first time I have ever heard someone make an argument to strengthen this tax.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #22
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Pull out of Iraq, decrease the defence budget to a quarter of what it is, start negotiating for drugs, repeal the Bush tax cut and strengthen the "death tax."
Which "Bush tax cuts" would you repeal? I personally like the reduced capital gains tax and think there is plenty of evidence suggesting they can help stimulate the economy. The reduced capital gains tax pumped billions into the economy. Moreover, the Bush tax cuts arguably did more to help the poor than the rich.

Our budgetary and economic woes have very little to do with the tax cuts, they have much more to do with excessive spending. While the Iraq War is undoubtedly draining our coffers, government mismanagement (e.g., pork-barrel spending and earmarks) are doing their damage as well. It's not a GOP-DNC issue either; the Republicans generally support the costly war effort and the Dems largely killed legislation targeting earmarks.

I personally would like to see less money go to the feds and force them to spend less. I guess that's evidence of my quasi-libertarian leanings.

As for my liberal side, I'd like to see people earning over X amount cut from the Social Security rolls. IMO, a guy with a net worth in the millions doesn't need a few hundred extra bucks a month, notwithstanding the fact that he pumped hundreds of thousands into the Social Security system.

Finally, to appease my conservative side, I'd like to at least experiment with some privitization. I find it somewhat revolting that I don't get to decide what to do with MY money. Frankly, it pisses me off that I give the government so much money and get such a crappy return. Don't I get SOME say and some choices in the matter?

End of rant filled with twists, turns, and tangents.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #23
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I gotta say this is the first time I have ever heard someone make an argument to strengthen this tax.
My support for the "death tax" is based on a singular principle of fairness (not from your point of view I am sure). It's my belief that one shouldn't receiver tax free money even if it's coming from their parents. I see parents leaving money for their children as a form of payment and every time I get paid uncle sam takes his cut so why shouldn't he take a bite out of inheritance? Simply put I would like to see the money treated as if it were income and taxed progressively.

I suppose it should be noted that I have no intention of leaving my kids a windfall.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #24
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
My support for the "death tax" is based on a singular principle of fairness (not from your point of view I am sure). It's my belief that one shouldn't receiver tax free money even if it's coming from their parents. I see parents leaving money for their children as a form of payment and every time I get paid uncle sam takes his cut so why shouldn't he take a bite out of inheritance? Simply put I would like to see the money treated as if it were income and taxed progressively.

I suppose it should be noted that I have no intention of leaving my kids a windfall.
It already is taxed as income essenitally and taxed pretty damn stiffly,

Oh and I am glad I am not your kids I guess.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #25
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
My support for the "death tax" is based on a singular principle of fairness (not from your point of view I am sure). It's my belief that one shouldn't receiver tax free money even if it's coming from their parents. I see parents leaving money for their children as a form of payment and every time I get paid uncle sam takes his cut so why shouldn't he take a bite out of inheritance? Simply put I would like to see the money treated as if it were income and taxed progressively.

I suppose it should be noted that I have no intention of leaving my kids a windfall.

But the parents already paid taxes on the money once. And what about small businesses and family farms? Warren Buffet was before congress recently and he very selflessly offered his opinion that the death tax was important to insure that the rich paid their share. Then it was revealed that he has swooped in and bought up about thirty businesses that were distressed because of the burden placed on them by the death tax.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:12 AM   #26
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
But the parents already paid taxes on the money once. And what about small businesses and family farms? Warren Buffet was before congress recently and he very selflessly offered his opinion that the death tax was important to insure that the rich paid their share. Then it was revealed that he has swooped in and bought up about thirty businesses that were distressed because of the burden placed on them by the death tax.
How were the businesses distressed by the death tax?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 AM   #27
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
How were the businesses distressed by the death tax?
The death tax is like 50% so if you inherit a business from your parents that is worth 3 million dollars, which could be a small appliance store for example, you may be hit with a ginormous tax bill. Now, obviously Buffet isn't buying small appliance retailers but you see the point.

Estate tax (United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Buffett thinks this is one tax that's a good idea

Grover G. Norquist on the Death tax and Warren Buffett on NRO Financial=
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:33 AM   #28
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
The death tax is like 50% so if you inherit a business from your parents that is worth 3 million dollars, which could be a small appliance store for example, you may be hit with a ginormous tax bill. Now, obviously Buffet isn't buying small appliance retailers but you see the point.

Estate tax (United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Buffett thinks this is one tax that's a good idea

Grover G. Norquist on the Death tax and Warren Buffett on NRO Financial=
I have mixed feelings about the estate tax and this is going to sound cold, but those business owners should have better business sense. Death isn't exactly an unforeseeable event. Someone who owns a closely-held/family-owned business and who wants his or her family to continue the business should buy life insurance naming the successors and/or the business itself as beneficiaries. Life insurance isn't cheap, but it shouldn't force well-run businesses to go under.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 AM   #29
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I have mixed feelings about the estate tax and this is going to sound cold, but those business owners should have better business sense. Death isn't exactly an unforeseeable event. Someone who owns a closely-held/family-owned business and who wants his or her family to continue the business should buy life insurance naming the successors and/or the business itself as beneficiaries. Life insurance isn't cheap, but it shouldn't force well-run businesses to go under.
It's not about it being "cold". It's about sensible economics and being able to pass something on to your children. The people who should be paying this tax are people like Buffet and Gates and their ilk. I can see a logic in the idea that Gates should have to give back some of his billions. Especially since his products suck balls. But I digress. These people are the ones who can afford to set up avoidance mechanisms and never seem to pay taxes of any kind. Most government regulation misses its target. The really, really big companies can absorb all these rules and fees and retrofitting all their bathrooms for transgendered whatever. It's their up and coming potential competitors who get nailed. What it is is Liberal Fascism.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:02 AM   #30
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
It already is taxed as income essenitally and taxed pretty damn stiffly,

Oh and I am glad I am not your kids I guess.

OK, so what's the real difference between leaving your money to a total stranger vs leaving it for your children? Suppose I leave the money to someone that isn't my child? Should it be taxed? Should preferential tax treatment be given to your own kids?

I'm sorry but passing down wealth without taxing it is akin to a pyramid scheme. People at the top of the scheme will perpetually be at the top and the income gap in this county will grow exponentially. Not only that but a larger burden of the tax bill will be shouldered by the middle class.

Finally, I assure you you would do well to be my kid. Having a wealthy dad is awesome I tell you My kids will be well taken care of. When they are ready to go to college or buy their first car/home I will be there for them. I will prepare them to succeed in this world, I just won't hand them my estate upon my death. The estate is already earmarked for charity.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31842 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25