Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


How to Fix Social Security

Parking Lot


View Poll Results: How Would You Fix Social Security?
Raise Tax 0 0%
Cut Benefits 1 4.17%
Privatize 12 50.00%
Other (explain) 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #46
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well I'm certainly learning a lot, and I hope others are too. I tend to lean toward the "allow people to take a portion of the tax and invest it into a private account" school of thought.
The free market is ALWAYS the best option for the whole economy and for the individuals.

The absolute WORST way, LEAST efficient and most likely to FAIL way to spend a dollar is to hand it over to the bureaucratic mess of the Government. They have no discretion when spending billions of dollars they have not earned, but you and I will be careful with every dollar we've worked for and will make a more responsible choice with it.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #47
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I'd like to see our post-Iraq defense budget slashed by hundreds of billions, which would preclude us from going into places like Iraq and Bosnia. That alone would save us trillions within a decade.
The current military budget is insanely enormous and the fundamental question is does it need to be as big as it is? A 480 billion dollar budget (pay attention to the expenditure break down on page 15)? One often hears the defence budget relative to the GDP, but what you really should be hearing about is the budget relative to federal revenue.

I don't think it's wise to lump Iraq and Bosina as they are fundamentally different in principle (war vs peach keeping) and budgetary requirement. I would even go further and say that we alone should not be shouldering the burden when it comes to peace keeping missions. The fact that we have such a huge budget gives other nations a free pass to delegate their responsibility to us. Perhaps Europe is too smart or poor?

Finally i want to make it clear that the defence budget should be dynamic. There should be a base budget and money should be allocated based on need. Currently, the default budget even when we are not in a time of war is enormous for reasons not apparent to me.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #48
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Check "Revelations". You won't be needing it
Great answer!


But, He'll be coming like a thief in the night, when we are not expecting.

Much like the Government.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #49
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
The current military budget is insanely enormous and the fundamental question is does it need to be as big as it is? A 480 billion dollar budget (pay attention to the expenditure break down on page 15)? One often hears the defence budget relative to the GDP, but what you really should be hearing about is the budget relative to federal revenue.

I don't think it's wise to lump Iraq and Bosina as they are fundamentally different in principle (war vs peach keeping) and budgetary requirement. I would even go further and say that we alone should not be shouldering the burden when it comes to peace keeping mission. The fact that we have such a huge budget gives other nations a free pass to delegate their responsibility to us. Perhaps Europe is too smart or poor?

Finally i want to make it clear that the defence budget should be dynamic. There should be a base budget and money should be allocated based on need. Currently, the default budget even when we are not in time of war is enormous for reasons not apparent to me.
It's huge now because it was starved to death in the previous Administration and needed to be rebuilt.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #50
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
So you agree with the death tax and want to raise it? You say that you are going to buy your kids a car and pay for college. Well say you have that money set aside for them, and you die. That 100k for school you set aside will be reduced to 50k, that 25k you set aside for the jetta is now 12.5k. Where is the logic in that?
You assume incorrectly. If I happen to die prematurely I have a financial plan that insures their basic needs are taken care of foremost.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #51
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I have mixed feelings about the estate tax and this is going to sound cold, but those business owners should have better business sense. Death isn't exactly an unforeseeable event. Someone who owns a closely-held/family-owned business and who wants his or her family to continue the business should buy life insurance naming the successors and/or the business itself as beneficiaries. Life insurance isn't cheap, but it shouldn't force well-run businesses to go under.
Couldn't agree more.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #52
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
I think I agree with partial privatization. My concern is with privatizing the entire thing, and then expecting people who have never taken any interest in planning for retirement to invest wisely. Partial privatization gives at least a small fallback cushion.
Well if the goverment does privatize SS it would have to be manditory that each person invest a % of their payroll each month. I would also not have a problem if the Goverment restricted how the money was invested to some point. Another words I could not take all the money and invest it into risky stocks I would have to be deversified in my portfolio.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #53
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
It's huge now because it was starved to death in the previous Administration and needed to be rebuilt.
It's huge and it needs to be because under the previous administration it wasn't? I'm I understanding you correctly?
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #54
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
It's huge and it needs to be because under the previous administration it wasn't? I'm I understanding you correctly?
I think what he ment was that allot of our millitary was starved for money back in the Clinton years and we have to spend more now on things that needed fixing durn the Clinton years. That argument holds some truth but with the price of the war it does not hold a bunch weight as why the budget has grown so much.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #55
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well if the goverment does privatize SS it would have to be manditory that each person invest a % of their payroll each month. I would also not have a problem if the Goverment restricted how the money was invested to some point. Another words I could not take all the money and invest it into risky stocks I would have to be deversified in my portfolio.
I agree - that would help address the concern. However, I think several people on this board would take issue with this approach, because it limits the market. However, a truly free market means we abandon people who don't come out ahead in their SS investments. Economic theory may dictate that is the most efficient outcome, but it's just not very practicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I think what he ment was that allot of our millitary was starved for money back in the Clinton years and we have to spend more now on things that needed fixing durn the Clinton years. That argument holds some truth but with the price of the war it does not hold a bunch weight as why the budget has grown so much.
Good post.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #56
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I think what he ment was that allot of our millitary was starved for money back in the Clinton years and we have to spend more now on things that needed fixing durn the Clinton years. That argument holds some truth but with the price of the war it does not hold a bunch weight as why the budget has grown so much.
A lot of why the defense budget has grown (aside from rebuilding) is simply because they are being utilized and needed to a greater extent. Also a lot of technology is being developed and successfully deployed in combat. It has saved lives and made our military even more efficient.

Nearly as much has been spent on research and development as has been spent on weapons procurement (production). More efficient, safer vehicles have been made, drones to use in place of live planes to spy or hit a target and also robotics to diffuse roadside bombs to save troop lives have all been used in this mission. We've lost troops, of course, but the casualty levels of the current military are FAR FAR less than in previous conflicts.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #57
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
I agree - that would help address the concern. However, I think several people on this board would take issue with this approach, because it limits the market. However, a truly free market means we abandon people who don't come out ahead in their SS investments. Economic theory may dictate that is the most efficient outcome, but it's just not very practicable.


Good post.
Well anyone can go out and get a fixed investment that carrys no to little risk so if there was some sort of limit to where the money was invested it would out perform SS everytime. There is a city in Texas that opted out of SS before they passed a law making it manditory. The city collects the money and invest it for the people (something like that) and they are retiring younger and with a larger retirment than the average American.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #58
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Opting Out in Texas: Three Counties Leave the... [Mackinac Center for Public Policy]

I have no problem with that, because it guarantees the return. However, that's not free market - it's just better management of funds (presumably there is some level of oversight, whereas now there is virtually none). Individual investors still cannot choose a riskier or safer retirement strategy.

I'd be interested to hear the Schneed/Buster take on this.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #59
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I don't think it's wise to lump Iraq and Bosina as they are fundamentally different in principle (war vs peach keeping) and budgetary requirement. I would even go further and say that we alone should not be shouldering the burden when it comes to peace keeping missions. The fact that we have such a huge budget gives other nations a free pass to delegate their responsibility to us. Perhaps Europe is too smart or poor?
As a general matter, I don't think we should be the "world's policeman." For the righties, that means we should not intervene in conflicts (or start them) willy-nilly due to national security concerns. For the lefties, that means we should not engage in peacekeeping. I don't think it's fair to say, "We shouldn't be the world's cop" and then say we should intervene in X conflict because of national security OR humanitarian concerns. Regardless of whatever motives are behind our military interventions, they usually end up costing us money and blood and do little long-term good.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #60
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Your right and when they realise that their is an issues and now are much older and now need a large life policy the premimums can be THOUSANDS PER MONTH and allot of times it is not affordable. You also think that its ok for the goverment to put such a burden on small family busnesses? Remember the tax is based on the value of the business and not the income that the family makes off the business. So if your a small business makeing X and you have a plant with 20 workers that the goverment says is worth 5,000,000 then thats what your taxed on even though you may only make $120,000 per year.
If the business purchases life/key-man insurance on the CEO/President/Founder, it's deductible. A few thousand dollars a year is not going to tank a business worth millions. Also, the estate tax only affects individuals worth $2M (including his/her interest in any business he/she owns in part or whole). So, it's not as though the guy who runs the candy shop or down the street or his family is typically unaffected by the estate tax.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35759 seconds with 11 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25