Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


How to Fix Social Security

Parking Lot


View Poll Results: How Would You Fix Social Security?
Raise Tax 0 0%
Cut Benefits 1 4.17%
Privatize 12 50.00%
Other (explain) 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #61
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 44
Posts: 3,048
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Check "Revelations". You won't be needing it
It's "Revelation", not "Revelations". Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #62
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
If they're not working and paying FICA tax now, they wouldn't be losing out on anything.

Are taxes deducted from welfare checks?
I'm talking about the people who are working now and contributing to SS. What do you do when they decide not to contribute because they have bills to pay now, but then end up penniless and unable to work at 70?

Again, like my question above, I'm not opposing your suggestion - just asking for the full picture.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #63
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
I'm talking about the people who are working now and contributing to SS. What do you do when they decide not to contribute because they have bills to pay now, but then end up penniless and unable to work at 70?

Again, like my question above, I'm not opposing your suggestion - just asking for the full picture.
Possible solution?
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #64
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
BINGO!

Now if only Congress could understand such a SIMPLE truth, we'd be far better off.
People can't have it both ways. Congress is assuming we are too stupid to figure this out on our own...but why would they think otherwise when we have SOOOO many programs to help aid the ignorant, or lazy?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #65
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
I'm talking about the people who are working now and contributing to SS. What do you do when they decide not to contribute because they have bills to pay now, but then end up penniless and unable to work at 70?

Again, like my question above, I'm not opposing your suggestion - just asking for the full picture.
It's not a choice to pocket the FICA tax and do what you want. Privatization allows you to invest those funds in the market rather than trusting the government to hold it for you. It won't change your take-home pay. It does however, help you establish a better retirement AND you will know it WILL be there for you, unlike with Social "Security" which is anything but secure.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #66
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
It's not a choice to pocket the FICA tax and do what you want. Privatization allows you to invest those funds in the market rather than trusting the government to hold it for you. It won't change your take-home pay. It does however, help you establish a better retirement AND you will know it WILL be there for you, unlike with Social "Security" which is anything but secure.
I know what privatization is. What That Guy suggested was not privatization - it was abolishing Social Security entirely and letting people do what they want with their money. You said "BINGO", and I wanted to get your thoughts on how to handle the fallout.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #67
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: How to Fix Social Security

The whole concept of "let me give my money to the government so they can manage it for the next 30-40 years at which point they'll give it back to me a little bit a time" just never sat well with me.

I don't even factor SS into my retirement planning - as far as I'm concerned the entire thing is a farce. Preparing for retirement is the individual's responsibility, not the governments.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #68
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,520
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Philosophically, I agree that the government should just stay the hell away and not have a social security program at all. It should be up to us as individuals as to how we want to plan for retirement.

But from a pragmatic standpoint, this is unrealistic. Too many Americans will use that money for other things, failing to save enough for themselves. They'll then be forced to remain in the workforce until they're 80 or dead, which will take up more jobs, leaving fewer jobs for those under 65, resulting in much higher unemployment rates and much lower productivity and hence GDP. Not having some sort of organized retirement system would be a social and economic disaster.

But what needs to change is the rate of efficiency the government gets from our money. Right now they sock it away in the Social Security trust funds, and earn 3-5% on it. That barely outpaces inflation. A big chunk of that money needs to get invested in the stock market, corporate bonds, commercial paper, real estate trusts, and international investments. Just by making this change, the forecasts for social security's solvency would be nearly 100% healthy, simply because the rate of return on those investments is so much better than what the government is currently investing in.

I mean think about it, if Peter Lynch, Warren Buffett, Bill Miller and Joel Tillinghast can become some of the best investment minds as corporate guys, why can't the US government hire one of the best to help manage the money?

I don't care if you privatize or not. The bottom line is we need a much better return on investment from the social security trust, otherwise this predicament is only going to get worse. It's actually shameful that we haven't done this ages ago.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #69
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
The whole concept of "let me give my money to the government so they can manage it for the next 30-40 years at which point they'll give it back to me a little bit a time" just never sat well with me.

I don't even factor SS into my retirement planning - as far as I'm concerned the entire thing is a farce. Preparing for retirement is the individual's responsibility, not the governments.
I think you're about the same age as me (I'm 25). I am doing the same thing. I pretty much think of my SS contributions as money I'll never see again.

There has to be a more efficient and fair way to do this, but I don't know what it is. I share That Guy's line of thinking at this point.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #70
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,520
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You really think they are earning 3-5% on money that they have allready spent? Can I get in on that programe! If finacial institutions did with their customers money what the goverment has done with the tax payers they would all be in jail.
Money they've already spent? Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #71
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,524
Re: How to Fix Social Security

schneeds answer is spot on. the only problem is that the govt feels the need to dip into this program whenever they run into funding problems. lets go to the Gore lock-box( im sure this will get some response)
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #72
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Philosophically, I agree that the government should just stay the hell away and not have a social security program at all. It should be up to us as individuals as to how we want to plan for retirement.

But from a pragmatic standpoint, this is unrealistic. Too many Americans will use that money for other things, failing to save enough for themselves. They'll then be forced to remain in the workforce until they're 80 or dead, which will take up more jobs, leaving fewer jobs for those under 65, resulting in much higher unemployment rates and much lower productivity and hence GDP. Not having some sort of organized retirement system would be a social and economic disaster.

But what needs to change is the rate of efficiency the government gets from our money. Right now they sock it away in the Social Security trust funds, and earn 3-5% on it. That barely outpaces inflation. A big chunk of that money needs to get invested in the stock market, corporate bonds, commercial paper, real estate trusts, and international investments. Just by making this change, the forecasts for social security's solvency would be nearly 100% healthy, simply because the rate of return on those investments is so much better than what the government is currently investing in.

I mean think about it, if Peter Lynch, Warren Buffett, Bill Miller and Joel Tillinghast can become some of the best investment minds as corporate guys, why can't the US government hire one of the best to help manage the money?

I don't care if you privatize or not. The bottom line is we need a much better return on investment from the social security trust, otherwise this predicament is only going to get worse. It's actually shameful that we haven't done this ages ago.
So it's the government's job to make sure irresponsible people don't experience the consequences of their irresponsible actions? More precisely, it's MY money that has to ensure that these people never face the consequences of their irresponsible actions.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #73
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,520
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
So it's the government's job to make sure irresponsible people don't experience the consequences of their irresponsible actions? More precisely, it's MY money that has to ensure that these people never face the consequences of their irresponsible actions.
Correction, it's your money that's serving as an INVESTMENT in your own, and the country's, future to ensure that your grandchildren have the same decent shot at a decent paying job just as you do now. Because if you don't make that investment, your grandkids will find it very hard to find work.

Such is the way economics works. Sometimes making investments isn't about gaining a return on investment, sometimes it's about avoiding losses.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #74
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Correction, it's your money that's serving as an INVESTMENT in your own, and the country's, future to ensure that your grandchildren have the same decent shot at a decent paying job just as you do now. Because if you don't make that investment, your grandkids will find it very hard to find work.

Such is the way economics works. Sometimes making investments isn't about gaining a return on investment, sometimes it's about avoiding losses.
How does paying for someone else's future retirement ensure that my grandkids can find a job 40 years from now?

I'm not being facetious, I honestly want to know.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #75
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,520
Re: How to Fix Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
How does paying for someone else's future retirement ensure that my grandkids can find a job 40 years from now?

I'm not being facetious, I honestly want to know.
Too many Americans will fail to save enough for themselves. They'll then be forced to remain in the workforce until they're 80 or dead, which will take up more jobs, leaving fewer jobs for those under 65, resulting in much higher unemployment rates and much lower productivity and hence GDP. Not having some sort of organized retirement system would be a social and economic disaster.

From a philosophical standpoint, I'm 100% in agreement with you. But if there's no program to support the working poor in old age, they'll stay in the workforce longer and longer.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34821 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25