Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


BMW 1 series

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #31
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I am unsure of how much that is, I never looked into it, but I am pretty sure it's cheap.

I heard the opposite about BMW's. I heard they had great reliability. They have a 4 year 50,000 mile warrenty, and I don't usually keep cars beyond 4 years, so I am not too worried. haha.
If you're going to sell it before the warranty expires, then go for it. How close is the nearest BMW dealership?

German cars are (generally) well engineered from a mechanical standpoint, but their electronics are usually trash.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #32
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Come on out! I have a 61 inch TV and a great surround sound system...we can watch the games here and get piss drunk! haha.

I just looked at a map. I would have to live roughly 3 to 4 hours away from Carlsbad if I were to move there.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #33
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Our salaries aren't as high as they should be cause of where we live. For instance, my wife will make anywhere from double to closer to triple more than what she makes right now if we move to Denver or Phoenix. We are on a two year plan here starting in June, then we're gone and will cash in. Some times you have to do something you don't want to do to benefit your future.
I hear ya on the whole cost of living thing. I had been living in little old Gainesville, Florida for the past 8 years before last summer. Prior to that I was 19 the last time I lived in the DC area, and that was under my parent's roof. The cost of living shock up here was the equivalent of getting kicked in the junk. My girlfriend and I both have good jobs up here earing significantly more than when we lived in the swamps of north central Florida, and yet I feel like we have less money every month.

Check out this cool cost of living calculator I found:
Cost of Living Comparison

This calculator estimates that it's 46.2% more expensive to live in DC than in Gainesville!! EESH!
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #34
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
So do you not live near any commercial areas at all? No shopping or dining?
Nope...and it depends on what you consider shopping and dining. There is really good shopping in El Paso and Lubbock. El Paso sucks though, a ton of crime there. Most everyone has to have bars on their doors and windows.
In terms of 4 or 5 star dining, you'd have to go to Lubbock. The best restaurants in Carlsbad are Chili's and Denny's. The best in Roswell is Cattle Baron and Red Lobster. The best dining is in Lubbock.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #35
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I hear ya on the whole cost of living thing. I had been living in little old Gainesville, Florida for the past 8 years before last summer. Prior to that I was 19 the last time I lived in the DC area, and that was under my parent's roof. The cost of living shock up here was the equivalent of getting kicked in the junk. My girlfriend and I both have good jobs up here earing significantly more than when we lived in the swamps of north central Florida, and yet I feel like we have less money every month.

Check out this cool cost of living calculator I found:
Cost of Living Comparison

This calculator estimates that it's 46.2% more expensive to live in DC than in Gainesville!! EESH!
I checked out the link. It costs 61.5% more to live in Boston (where I was born and raised for 22 years) than Carlsbad, NM (where I have lived for 11 years).

I also checked out the difference between Gainesville and Carlsbad, and it would cost 16.7% more to live in Gainesville.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #36
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
I just looked at a map. I would have to live roughly 3 to 4 hours away from Carlsbad if I were to move there.
What town would you have to move to?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 AM   #37
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
How did you end up in Carlsbad, jsarno?
It's really a long story, but the short story is my wife was offered an HR Director position out of college, and we decided to move here for the experience. We came here on a 5 year plan, then 5 years came and went and every business wanted 7-10 years, so we modified it to 10 years. We almost left, but then this promotion for my wife fell in her lap (25k more a year) so we decided to stay for a couple more years to get this valuable experience. We have always made decisions with the long term value in mind (in terms of career).
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #38
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
What town would you have to move to?

Las Cruces (SP?)
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #39
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
Las Cruces (SP?)
That's basically a "suburb" of El Paso. That's where people live that are sick of all the crime in El Paso. That's about 3 hours from here. You'd be close to the White Sands too...interesting place. They were just testing missles there the other day and shut down the highways.

Las Cruces has a slightly higher cost of living than Carlsbad, but there is more to do, and you're only 30-40 minutes from El Paso and an international airport.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #40
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
I only have good things to say about BMWs. Once you own one and drive it all of the time, it will be hard to go back to an average car. This being a new model I might worry about computer glitches, but if you buy new that will all be covered under warranty anyway. BMWs really do give you the ultimate driving experience… there isn't anything else quite like them.
I would have to travel a minimum of 2 hours and 15 minutes for any warrenty issues which makes me concerned about the comments of glitches in the electronics etc.
I've always heard the in line 6 is the most reliable engine out there, but I haven't often heard about the electronics.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #41
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
My car in a 2001 3series. I've had one computer glitch only since I've owned it - my oil light came on and stayed on, even though there was oil in it. That was fixed under warranty.

HOWEVER, remember brakes and oil changes..etc are more expensive in German cars. So once your warranty is up you might want to sell it. I love mine too much and am willing to pay for the maintenance on it. I’ll have it until it dies….
I thought about the 3 series due to their track record and (in my opinion) amazing looks, but they have grown too expensive. I can't justify buying one for 47k or more. Nor do I want to even try to justify that. That's what makes this 1 series so much more appealing. If money was no object I'd get a 6 series convertible or a 7 series, but money is an obsticle for me (unlike smootsmack...just kidding). 40k is just too much to spend on a car in my opinion (unless it's a vette...mmmmmm, veeetttttteeeeee).
How much do the oil changes go for?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #42
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
That's basically a "suburb" of El Paso. That's where people live that are sick of all the crime in El Paso. That's about 3 hours from here. You'd be close to the White Sands too...interesting place. They were just testing missles there the other day and shut down the highways.

Las Cruces has a slightly higher cost of living than Carlsbad, but there is more to do, and you're only 30-40 minutes from El Paso and an international airport.
Exactly.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #43
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I thought about the 3 series due to their track record and (in my opinion) amazing looks, but they have grown too expensive. I can't justify buying one for 47k or more. Nor do I want to even try to justify that. That's what makes this 1 series so much more appealing. If money was no object I'd get a 6 series convertible or a 7 series, but money is an obsticle for me (unlike smootsmack...just kidding). 40k is just too much to spend on a car in my opinion (unless it's a vette...mmmmmm, veeetttttteeeeee).
How much do the oil changes go for?
I just priced a 328i with options, and it came to $44270.

You can price any car with option at www.bmwusa.com
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #44
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
Exactly.
gotcha.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: BMW 1 series

Not advisable to let places like Jiffy Lube touch your car. Lots and lots of horror stories from places like that.

There is no reason for oil changes to cost that much. I can see $65ish for a full synthetic oil and top of the line filter, but $250 is absolutely insane.

Also, doesn't the standard BMW warranty cover all maintenance, including oil changes?
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.41259 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25