Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


BMW 1 series

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #61
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: BMW 1 series

I like to do it. It gives me a chance to get up under the car and inspect things. I'd much rather change the oil than a lot of other things around the house, too.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #62
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: BMW 1 series

I'm a BMW enthusiast and previous owner of a beautiful E34 540i, so in my opinion you can't go wrong with a BMW. I think the 135 looks exceptional too - really nice all around car and really pretty affordable for what you get.

That being said, make sure you "do the math" with respect to fuel considerations. Not saying you would, but so many people seem to think paying an extra $5k-$10k is justified if they get a few extra MPG.

Let's say you get a miserable 15 MPG currently, fill up each time with about 20 gallons at say $3.15/gallon and you drive about 10,000 miles/year. A 15 MPG vehicle will run you about $2,100/year in fuel costs, whereas a 25 MPG car will run you about $1,200.

First reaction from people is usually "hey, I'm saving $900 a year! Where do I sign the papers?" Let's say the 25 MPG car costs you an extra $5k, you're not even breaking even with respect to fuel costs for over 5 1/2 years...that's assuming every other factor like reliability, maintenance, insurance, etc. remains the same. A number of auto reviewers have found the break-even point on hybrids or high-efficiency cars to be pretty far out.

Even factoring in tax breaks and whatnot it's not necessarily a good deal, though it could be. I wouldn't make any rash, blanket statement, just do the appropriate research for your situation. Hybrids aren't always the huge money saver people make them out to be. If you want to buy one to better the environment, go for it. If you want a 135 cause it looks "hawt" and it's a hoot to drive, knock yourself out man. You don't' need to justify it from a fuel standpoint

Along the same lines, it cracks me when people pitch a fit when gas goes up 10 cents. An extra 10 cents over 20 gallons, say once a week adds up to an extra $8/month...or less than most of us spend on a movie ticket or a large coffee at Starbucks.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #63
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
If a oil change is so darn easy than how does a place like Jiffy Lube screw it up to the point of having a bad transmission problem??
They didn't replace enough of the transmission fluid after they drained it.

Edit, It was time to purge everything and I was in a hurry. Normally I have a mechanic that I always take my car to, but he is in Lanham and I didn't have that kind of time. I ran it into JL so that they could change the xmsn, oil, and diff. Big mistake.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #64
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
No one really LIKES to do it, but honestly doing it in your driveway is way cheaper and actually a lot faster than driving to your nearest Jiffy Lube and waiting for them to do their overpriced BS.

Plus what kind of guarantee do really get with an oil change anyway?
I was refering more to heavier maintenance with that phrase, not necessisarily an oil change in particular. You are right, not much guarentee with an oil change.

By the way, I would never do it (change the oil) in front of my own house. I miss military installations where they have garages and bays that you can use to do your own work. You pay a very small fee and prevent your driveway from looking like the oil fields in Iraq durring Desert Storm. (exaggeration)
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #65
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I would have to travel a minimum of 2 hours and 15 minutes for any warrenty issues which makes me concerned about the comments of glitches in the electronics etc.
I've always heard the in line 6 is the most reliable engine out there, but I haven't often heard about the electronics.
No idea what hess' comment about "computer glitches" is based on. I've owned, and know a number of other people who have owned BMWs and never had "computer glitches." If you're afraid of the rogue glitch because it's a new car and "new cars have computer glitches" then I suppose you should go buy a Delorean or something...
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #66
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
WOW! If Carlsbad is almost 17% cheaper than Gainesville, then I'd be living like a king too! BMWs and $450 mortgages for everyone!!!! Cheers!

Carlsbad migration! Imagine, we could all live on the same cul de sac. Matty and SS could be head of the homeowners association.
hey,

wooooh,

wooooooooh,

hey now...

it's $490 mortgage...jeeesh.



I don't know of many places cheaper than here. But as always, you get what you pay for.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #67
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
I'm a BMW enthusiast and previous owner of a beautiful E34 540i, so in my opinion you can't go wrong with a BMW. I think the 135 looks exceptional too - really nice all around car and really pretty affordable for what you get.

That being said, make sure you "do the math" with respect to fuel considerations. Not saying you would, but so many people seem to think paying an extra $5k-$10k is justified if they get a few extra MPG.

Let's say you get a miserable 15 MPG currently, fill up each time with about 20 gallons at say $3.15/gallon and you drive about 10,000 miles/year. A 15 MPG vehicle will run you about $2,100/year in fuel costs, whereas a 25 MPG car will run you about $1,200.

First reaction from people is usually "hey, I'm saving $900 a year! Where do I sign the papers?" Let's say the 25 MPG car costs you an extra $5k, you're not even breaking even with respect to fuel costs for over 5 1/2 years...that's assuming every other factor like reliability, maintenance, insurance, etc. remains the same. A number of auto reviewers have found the break-even point on hybrids or high-efficiency cars to be pretty far out.

Even factoring in tax breaks and whatnot it's not necessarily a good deal, though it could be. I wouldn't make any rash, blanket statement, just do the appropriate research for your situation. Hybrids aren't always the huge money saver people make them out to be. If you want to buy one to better the environment, go for it. If you want a 135 cause it looks "hawt" and it's a hoot to drive, knock yourself out man. You don't' need to justify it from a fuel standpoint

Along the same lines, it cracks me when people pitch a fit when gas goes up 10 cents. An extra 10 cents over 20 gallons, say once a week adds up to an extra $8/month...or less than most of us spend on a movie ticket or a large coffee at Starbucks.
Good post.

Well, like I said, I trade in vehicles after every 3-5 years and I've had my truck for almost 4 years. So it really doesn't matter...The gas cunsumption is just an added bonus. By my calculations, I'd save around $950 per year in gas which comes out to $79.17 a month. Also, I'd be paying roughly $20-30 less a month on monthly payment...add the two together and I'd save $100-$110 a month. Then again, I am pretty sure my insurance will go up, so it might be a wash. Right now, I pay $230 a month for my house, my wife's brand new 08 camry, and my 2005 GMC Sierra 4x4. (we don't have a single blemish on our record.)
I love BMW's, I love their designs, and the way they drive. I don't love their price tags though.
When it comes to price, I am concerned about overall how much, but I don't care about that otherwise. I am fine paying $400-$500 on a car payment. My real considerations are only if I will like it and it has to be under 40k very well equipped.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #68
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
No idea what hess' comment about "computer glitches" is based on. I've owned, and know a number of other people who have owned BMWs and never had "computer glitches." If you're afraid of the rogue glitch because it's a new car and "new cars have computer glitches" then I suppose you should go buy a Delorean or something...
I've never had a car with a computer glitch, then again, I never keep them long enough to see if one will develope. I am seeking advice from people that know more than I do about these cars. The salesmen won't tell me the down sides like actual owners will. I don't HAVE to trade my truck in, I just want to. If the deal doesn't work out, I'll walk.



By the way...everyone seems fascinated at my mortgage...so what are all of you paying?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #69
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I've never had a car with a computer glitch, then again, I never keep them long enough to see if one will develope. I am seeking advice from people that know more than I do about these cars. The salesmen won't tell me the down sides like actual owners will. I don't HAVE to trade my truck in, I just want to. If the deal doesn't work out, I'll walk.



By the way...everyone seems fascinated at my mortgage...so what are all of you paying?
Given that the U.S. model of the 128/135 is brand new this year, you won't get any reliability or track record data or anecdotes on it. It's kind of the price you pay for having the hottest new car on the street.

BMWs are extremely well built - most of the major components can go well over 200k miles. Since you don't keep cars more than 4-5 years, you won't even come close to any of the major stuff.

Of course there's always the possibility of getting a lemon, or that BMW all of a sudden drops the ball on the 1-series, but that could happen with any manufacturer and any car.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #70
Registered User
 
hesscl34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,782
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
No idea what hess' comment about "computer glitches" is based on. I've owned, and know a number of other people who have owned BMWs and never had "computer glitches." If you're afraid of the rogue glitch because it's a new car and "new cars have computer glitches" then I suppose you should go buy a Delorean or something...
My comment was a reply to a question: I was answering a question about BMWs having issues with computer "glitches" that someone else posted... and said that mine had none that I knew of other than one with my oil change light coming on for no reason.
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #71
Registered User
 
hesscl34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,782
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I've never had a car with a computer glitch, then again, I never keep them long enough to see if one will develope. I am seeking advice from people that know more than I do about these cars. The salesmen won't tell me the down sides like actual owners will. I don't HAVE to trade my truck in, I just want to. If the deal doesn't work out, I'll walk.
BMWs are great driving machines. If you LOVE to drive a good car and can respect the way it goes around turns and moves through traffic than a BMW will make you happy as punch! Are they cheap to fix when they break down? - heck no. But you have to weigh the pros and cons..

I'll never drive another car the way I drive a BMW.. there is just no other car that can compare. They don't lie when they say they are the ultimate driving machine.
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 AM   #72
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: BMW 1 series

In terms of computer and electronic issues, I think the biggest problem lies with WV.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #73
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
BMWs are great driving machines. If you LOVE to drive a good car and can respect the way it goes around turns and moves through traffic than a BMW will make you happy as punch! Are they cheap to fix when they break down? - heck no. But you have to weigh the pros and cons..

I'll never drive another car the way I drive a BMW.. there is just no other car that can compare. They don't lie when they say they are the ultimate driving machine.
At the very least, I am going to test drive it next saturday and see where to go from there. I already know if I do get one, it's getting ordered, and that should take a good 6 weeks.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #74
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
In terms of computer and electronic issues, I think the biggest problem lies with WV.
west virginia????
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 AM   #75
Registered User
 
hesscl34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,782
Re: BMW 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
At the very least, I am going to test drive it next saturday and see where to go from there. I already know if I do get one, it's getting ordered, and that should take a good 6 weeks.
Every time I hear a friend say they are test diving the next "new" BMW I get jealous... They are such amazing cars..you will fall in love with them once you drive them so beware! Make SURE you take that thing around a good corner with no brakes at a reasonable speed and you will feel the way it hugs the corner..... and hugs you!! Awesome!

Maybe I need to trade up.. ;-)
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38216 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25