Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
The Starter
 
steveo395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,674
America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Oil shale deposits in Colorado and neighboring areas of Utah and Wyoming are estimated to contain 800 billion recoverable barrels, three times larger than Saudi Arabia's proven reserves of conventional crude, and the equivalent of 40 years of U.S. oil consumption.
Quote:
O'Connor said the company expects commercial production to be profitable as long as international oil prices are at least in the low $30s per barrel, far below the current $70 average.
Coaxing oil from huge U.S. shale deposits

I know this article is old, but this is the first I've ever heard about this. This would solve a lot of problems with the economy and gas prices.

Stansberry & Associates - Matt Badiali's Oil Report
This has a lot more information about it, but its also a guy trying to sell you his magazine.
__________________

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Propane and propane accessories
 
JWsleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 45
Posts: 4,594
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Of course, it wouldn't help with the greenhouse gas issue. Plus, I wonder what the process itself does to the environment? We're going to need new sources of oil even in the most optimist alternative fuels fantasy, so this would certainly help in that regard. Plus, the less money we give to OPEC, the better!

(I think Canada has huge oil shale deposits as well.)
__________________
Hail from Houston!
JWsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,471
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Everything I've seen about that has been people trying to sell you some sort of stake in oil shale. Is there any legitimacy to this whatsoever? Just curious.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,213
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
Of course, it wouldn't help with the greenhouse gas issue. Plus, I wonder what the process itself does to the environment? We're going to need new sources of oil even in the most optimist alternative fuels fantasy, so this would certainly help in that regard. Plus, the less money we give to OPEC, the better!

(I think Canada has huge oil shale deposits as well.)
You ponder these issues living in Houston? The Rockies would look like the "ship channel"
Interesting....though
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Propane and propane accessories
 
JWsleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 45
Posts: 4,594
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
You ponder these issues living in Houston? The Rockies would look like the "ship channel"
Interesting....though
Ha! Yeah, things are not exactly pro-environment down here... but at least we're making money off of all this! We're one of the only cities where rising gas prices is GOOD news!

(Actually, moving to suburban Houston from Brooklyn was an environmental improvement. I've got tons of birds--egrets, hawks, falcons, songbirds--turtles, snakes, weird critters called "Nutria," and all sorts of amazing trees and plants. But I'm in the SW part of Houston, not the East or North East where the oil refineries are. It's pretty bleak out there.)
__________________
Hail from Houston!
JWsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:34 AM   #6
Special Teams
 
love them hogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore for now
Age: 35
Posts: 235
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post

(Actually, moving to suburban Houston from Brooklyn was an environmental improvement. I've got tons of birds--egrets, hawks, falcons, songbirds--turtles, snakes, weird critters called "Nutria," and all sorts of amazing trees and plants. But I'm in the SW part of Houston, not the East or North East where the oil refineries are. It's pretty bleak out there.)
You wouldnt happen to live near a swamp do you.I ask because Nutria are found here in Maryland but only in brakish (sp) areas.I agree that they are weird critters.One of the largest Rodents out there.
love them hogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Special Teams
 
Hail2theskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
Age: 28
Posts: 488
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo395 View Post
Coaxing oil from huge U.S. shale deposits

I know this article is old, but this is the first I've ever heard about this. This would solve a lot of problems with the economy and gas prices.

Stansberry & Associates - Matt Badiali's Oil Report
This has a lot more information about it, but its also a guy trying to sell you his magazine.
Very Very Very damaging to the environment harvesting Oil Shale. Also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive to legitimately consider it a viable resource because of two major factors. 1 refining shale into crude or usuable oil is a very expensive processs and 2 due to the regulations this country has in place now that if strip mine anything you have to replace to close to 80 % of its former habitat just make oil shale really an afterthought. I do believe the US could become the largest oil producer once we perfect deep offshore drilling, Theres pockets of Oil in the gulf that would make a middle eastern gusher look like some podunk oil farm in texas.
__________________
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!
Hail2theskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
The Starter
 
jbcjr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 44
Posts: 2,014
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail2theskins View Post
Very Very Very damaging to the environment harvesting Oil Shale. Also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive to legitimately consider it a viable resource because of two major factors. 1 refining shale into crude or usuable oil is a very expensive processs and 2 due to the regulations this country has in place now that if strip mine anything you have to replace to close to 80 % of its former habitat just make oil shale really an afterthought. I do believe the US could become the largest oil producer once we perfect deep offshore drilling, Theres pockets of Oil in the gulf that would make a middle eastern gusher look like some podunk oil farm in texas.
Hey, careful with the Texas reference! Always use capital letters when referring to the great state of Texas!
__________________
"Work Harder: millions on welfare are counting on you" - Obama 2009 address to Congress.
jbcjr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Special Teams
 
Hail2theskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
Age: 28
Posts: 488
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcjr14 View Post
Hey, careful with the Texas reference! Always use capital letters when referring to the great state of Texas!
The only thing I ever knew to come out of Texas was... you get the point.

j/k, was just trying to pull some kind of analogy, only one I could think of.
__________________
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!
Hail2theskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Yeah, like Hail2Skins, it's my understanding that it is very, very costly to refine shale oil.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Propane and propane accessories
 
JWsleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 45
Posts: 4,594
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

You mean there is no free lunch!?!? Man.
__________________
Hail from Houston!
JWsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
The Starter
 
steveo395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,674
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail2theskins View Post
Very Very Very damaging to the environment harvesting Oil Shale. Also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive to legitimately consider it a viable resource because of two major factors. 1 refining shale into crude or usuable oil is a very expensive processs and 2 due to the regulations this country has in place now that if strip mine anything you have to replace to close to 80 % of its former habitat just make oil shale really an afterthought. I do believe the US could become the largest oil producer once we perfect deep offshore drilling, Theres pockets of Oil in the gulf that would make a middle eastern gusher look like some podunk oil farm in texas.
They aren't going to strip mine it.
Quote:

Instead of mining the shale, since 1996 Shell has experimented with in situ, or in-place, extraction of oil from the ground. Twenty-five miles southwest of Meeker, a ranching town in northwest Colorado, drilling rigs, compressors, ducts and tanks are scattered across a pinon- and juniper-covered plateau, connected to scores of electric heaters sunk hundreds of feet underground.

At each production site, the powerful heaters extend down hundreds of feet, stretching vertically through a cylindrical area of shale about 100 feet in diameter. They then heat the area to about 700 degrees Fahrenheit -- for two to three years.

During this period, the heat ages the kerogen by the geological equivalent of millions of years, chemically transforming it into a high-grade oil that is easily pumped to the surface. In an experiment that ended in May, 1,500 barrels of light, sweet crude were produced from one site.

O'Connor, the Shell executive, says these techniques have been highly successful but need several more years of testing.

One danger is that the oil might pollute the surrounding water table. To prevent that, Shell plans to surround each heated area with a frozen barrier about 10 feet thick, chilled by pipes of pressurized aqueous ammonia.

Machinery is being installed now to create a circular freeze-wall about 1,700 feet deep. When it is finished, engineers will simulate an environmental emergency by pumping water at high pressure outside the wall to try to force a rupture. Then they will rush to plug the break and re-create the barrier. "We believe that we can produce large amounts of oil with no adverse environmental impact, but we're proceeding slowly and responsibly to make sure this is true, to cover all contingencies," O'Connor said.
and
Quote:
O'Connor said the company expects commercial production to be profitable as long as international oil prices are at least in the low $30s per barrel, far below the current $70 average.
__________________

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,213
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
Ha! Yeah, things are not exactly pro-environment down here... but at least we're making money off of all this! We're one of the only cities where rising gas prices is GOOD news!

(Actually, moving to suburban Houston from Brooklyn was an environmental improvement. I've got tons of birds--egrets, hawks, falcons, songbirds--turtles, snakes, weird critters called "Nutria," and all sorts of amazing trees and plants. But I'm in the SW part of Houston, not the East or North East where the oil refineries are. It's pretty bleak out there.)
I lived about 20 miles E of Houston (in Baytown area) for about 15 years. What's the old joke while passing by the refineries? What's that smell? MONEY!
LOTS of Nutra rats! in the marshes. That's why the gators are so fat in Chambers county. actually imported from.....France? (all the best rats come from France) to deal with the Hydrilla (native to Asia) choking all the waterways.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: America could become the worlds largest oil producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail2theskins View Post
Very Very Very damaging to the environment harvesting Oil Shale. Also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive to legitimately consider it a viable resource because of two major factors. 1 refining shale into crude or usuable oil is a very expensive processs and 2 due to the regulations this country has in place now that if strip mine anything you have to replace to close to 80 % of its former habitat just make oil shale really an afterthought. I do believe the US could become the largest oil producer once we perfect deep offshore drilling, Theres pockets of Oil in the gulf that would make a middle eastern gusher look like some podunk oil farm in texas.
That's exactly what I've read in a lot of publications. I don't know whether Canada is finding a way to do this very well but we could just wait and see. The offshore drilling is interesting too. I've read quite a few places that geologists discovered the largest deposit on earth off the coast of Brazil, which means it can be tapped. Brazil could be the worlds largest producer in another decade. I've heard similar things about deposits in the Gulf but I also think it is very risky there because of the tropical storms. Not sure if it would be a sound investment.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.45334 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25