Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #76
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

That whole last page of discussion sums up exactly why my children take their own lunch to school. They buy occasionally but they pretty much "brown bag it" every day. The irony is that my children are the ones who told me that they would rather pack a lunch than buy that junk. In my day we loved it when we could get pizza and burgers in school. This newer generation is obviously learning from our mistakes. Tear.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #77
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 49
Posts: 15,818
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I like the idea of a fat tax, in concept. If you eat more fast food, you're more likely to need medical care, and you're most likely to need it when you're 65 and on Medicare (heart trouble), which the government pays for with our tax dollars. So if you're more likely to make use of the government's healthcare plan, you should be paying more to the government.

But now that food prices are skyrocketing, it's impractical to impose that tax. With food prices going up, people without means are going to work even harder to keep their food costs down, and rely even more on McDonald's and such. Taxing them on top of it would probably break the camel's back.
Well lets tax skinny people who eat high fat food and have high colestoral, smokers (they are allready taxed), drinkers, etc... we could go on and on. How about people who do risky sports like sky diving? If they die their family receives SS from them or if they become disabled they qualify for several social programs. I'd say fat people are less likely to draw off our system because they die before age 65. Think about it how many older fat people do you see out and about. I can't think of any really older people who are real fat.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #78
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 34
Posts: 8,317
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I like the idea of a fat tax, in concept. If you eat more fast food, you're more likely to need medical care, and you're most likely to need it when you're 65 and on Medicare (heart trouble), which the government pays for with our tax dollars. So if you're more likely to make use of the government's healthcare plan, you should be paying more to the government.
I don't know whether those who live unhealthy lives actually end up costing taxpayers more than those who live healthy lives. The people who exercise, eat right and who don't drink or smoke are likely to live longer lives than those who do not and, therefore, put a bigger strain on our Social Security Systems. Moreover, it might be less costly for someone to suffer mild health problems and die of a Big Mac-induced heart attack at 60, than live to be 95 and encounter many of the ailments that tend to affect the elderly.

I'd like to see some independent studies conducted into these kinds of economic issues. I read one a few years back that indicated that smokers actually SAVE taxpayers money by dying young. I have no problem with the government taxing goods that are costly to taxpayers. I have a serious problem with the government taxing goods that are unpopular and unhealthy (e.g., cigs) but end up saving taxpayers money. Why the hell should the government encourage me to live a certain life (e.g., by taxing and not taxing goods) if the net impact of my lifetsyle doesn't adversely affect society?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #79
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 49
Posts: 15,818
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I don't know whether those who live unhealthy lives actually end up costing taxpayers more than those who live healthy lives. The people who exercise, eat right and who don't drink or smoke are likely to live longer lives than those who do not and, therefore, put a bigger strain on our Social Security Systems. Moreover, it might be less costly for someone to suffer mild health problems and die of a Big Mac-induced heart attack at 60, than live to be 95 and encounter many of the ailments that tend to affect the elderly.

I'd like to see some independent studies conducted into these kinds of economic issues. I read one a few years back that indicated that smokers actually SAVE taxpayers money by dying young. I have no problem with the government taxing goods that are costly to taxpayers. I have a serious problem with the government taxing goods that are unpopular and unhealthy (e.g., cigs) but end up saving taxpayers money. Why the hell should the government encourage me to live a certain life (e.g., by taxing and not taxing goods) if the net impact of my lifetsyle doesn't adversely affect society?
I sell insurance and we do sell life ins. If someone is over weight, smokes, etc... they charge a higher premium because their tables say that they will die at an earlier age. They have the numbers and can tell you if they write 1,000 policies for a healthy male age 35 they can tell you how many of them will die over the years. So they could say that in the first year ___ amount will die year two ____ amount will die etc... They know the numbers thats how they develop the rates. So if they charge a higher rate because they die earlier in life then we could assume they they are less of a cost to SS and other programs. My grandmother lived until age 97 and she cost the tax payers a bunch but she lived a pretty healthy life.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #80
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

There has been talk of a "fat tax" in this thread. New Jersey lawmakers are considering something similar, with proceeds of the tax possibly benefiting hospitals. They're calling it a "sin" tax.

wcbstv.com - New Jersey Lawmakers Consider Tax On Fast Food
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #81
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 36
Posts: 2,817
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

Proposed new fast food moratorium in LA

This is interesting, in terms of affecting low-income districts specifically.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #82
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 36
Posts: 2,817
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

New fast food ban passes

Well, we're about to undertake our very first case-study of a one year, new fast food moratorium within a very urban region of LA.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #83
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,502
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
New fast food ban passes

Well, we're about to undertake our very first case-study of a one year, new fast food moratorium within a very urban region of LA.
Off topic, but...you ok? Did the quake affect you at all?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #84
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 36
Posts: 2,817
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Off topic, but...you ok? Did the quake affect you at all?
I definitely felt it- lasted a good 15 seconds and I was rocking a bit. I had a hospital visit an hour later and the nurse was telling me it was pretty crazy. Thanks for asking, man.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #85
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 49
Posts: 15,818
Re: Childhood Obesity -- Should it be a crime?

Wow, talk about goverment gone wild. I guess this lady is going to start going from house to house checking what everyone has in their frig next.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.22839 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25