Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #106
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Yeah, but those kinds of things are pretty common. Repubs and Dems often use bands, celebrities and other politicians to help draw crowds. It's pretty hard to deny that Obama has a big and devoted "fan base."
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #107
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,494
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

I'm sure that 75,000 people weren't there just to see The Decemberists. I'm pretty up to date with music and I have no idea who they even are. Their last album peaked at #35 on the Billboard 200, I guess they're not exactly a household name so maybe that's why some papers didn't report it? I mean if it was Springsteen or someone like that I'm sure that would have been news.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #108
Special Teams
 
love them hogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore for now
Age: 36
Posts: 235
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I think we all agree that racism, in whatever form, should cease. The question here is whether it is racist to vote for a presidential candidate in part or whole because that candidate is black.

If your answer is yes, why? I assume your response is that any decision which is affected by someone's race is inherently a racist one. If that is the case, does that mean President Nixon was a racist because his administration aggressively pushed affirmative action? Or how about people who choose not to date people from a similar ethnic background? Does that mean that people who won't adopt kids from outside their race are racist?

I think it's sometimes difficult to discern what is really racist.
Im sorry but the answer to all of your questions is yes.It is racist to not adopt a kid just because of race.It is racist to not date someone just because of race.And when it comes down to it, affirmitve action is racist ,even though it was needed and has probably done a lot of good.To me, anything that gives someone an advantage or disadvatage based only on race is racist.I believe the words race, age, and sex should be wiped off of any and all applications and tests.That information is just not relevent and grouping people like that only serves to push a wedge between people.
love them hogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #109
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'm sure that 75,000 people weren't there just to see The Decemberists. I'm pretty up to date with music and I have no idea who they even are. Their last album peaked at #35 on the Billboard 200, I guess they're not exactly a household name so maybe that's why some papers didn't report it? I mean if it was Springsteen or someone like that I'm sure that would have been news.
Its a Partland based band which means that the people in Partland (which was the site of the rally" would know them before they hit the big times. I saw the Dave Matthews Band before they went big time and if I would have posted it on a National site who I saw about 99% of the people would have said "Dave WHo" and a year latter about 90% would know the name. I think he was very smart to use the band but the media was just doing what the media does best. Thats why like 85% of the media admitted to voting Dem. and it shows in their reporting.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #110
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,494
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Its a Partland based band which means that the people in Partland (which was the site of the rally" would know them before they hit the big times. I saw the Dave Matthews Band before they went big time and if I would have posted it on a National site who I saw about 99% of the people would have said "Dave WHo" and a year latter about 90% would know the name. I think he was very smart to use the band but the media was just doing what the media does best. Thats why like 85% of the media admitted to voting Dem. and it shows in their reporting.
That's basically my point. A local band isn't going to get much of a mention nationally.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:02 AM   #111
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,058
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

People started lining up 7 hours prior to hear a great local band, after the band was done they stuck around for Obama's speech because the weather was simply too good to pass up. The whole thing wasn't even a political rally, it was a free concert!!!

p.s. I'm curious, when is McCain going to start piggybacking on great local bands?
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:09 AM   #112
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

I know, it's a joke the way the media reports these things. Like earlier in February when Tom Petty rocked a concert for over a billion worldwide viewers and all anyone wanted to report about was some football game.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #113
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Smile Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
That's basically my point. A local band isn't going to get much of a mention nationally.

I thought your point was that The Decemeberists could not help draw 75,000 people because you had never heard of them and you are pretty up to date on music.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #114
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,967
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I know, it's a joke the way the media reports these things. Like earlier in February when Tom Petty rocked a concert for over a billion worldwide viewers and all anyone wanted to report about was some football game.
Classic
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #115
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,872
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

The Decemberists are pretty big in the west coast indie scene... I like their song, "Los Angeles, I'm Yours." It would have been pretty funny if they performed that one before Obama's speech. Not sure how the lines "Oh ladies pleasant and demure, Sallow-cheeked and sure... I can see your undies" would have played out.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #116
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,494
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
I thought your point was that The Decemeberists could not help draw 75,000 people because you had never heard of them and you are pretty up to date on music.
I said this:

I guess they're not exactly a household name so maybe that's why some papers didn't report it? I mean if it was Springsteen or someone like that I'm sure that would have been news.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:16 AM   #117
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Last I heard Clinton will wind up w/ more popular votes than Obama, which means a lot of people will be scratching their head when he is the nominee. Basically, he is the guy unless he implodes i.e. scandal, insanity, spontaneous combustion... but Clinton will have more legitimacy than him. I think there will be a lot of pressure on Obama to pick her as VP because she will have won the popular vote even though she may not be the best choice.

Also, i think Obama should have put an apostrophe in his name (not f'ing around here). Lots of immigrants have done this to "Americanize" their names and it actually works.

O ' b a m a. Now he's like a black irishman or something. I wonder if the two of my employees who believe he is Muslim and not an American citizen might have thought twice about their assumptions if they'd seen O'bama four years ago instead of Obama. Just a thought.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:34 AM   #118
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

I know you wouldn't want to be taken out of context:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'm sure that 75,000 people weren't there just to see The Decemberists. I'm pretty up to date with music and I have no idea who they even are. Their last album peaked at #35 on the Billboard 200, I guess they're not exactly a household name so maybe that's why some papers didn't report it? I mean if it was Springsteen or someone like that I'm sure that would have been news.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #119
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Last I heard Clinton will wind up w/ more popular votes than Obama, which means a lot of people will be scratching their head when he is the nominee. Basically, he is the guy unless he implodes i.e. scandal, insanity, spontaneous combustion... but Clinton will have more legitimacy than him. I think there will be a lot of pressure on Obama to pick her as VP because she will have won the popular vote even though she may not be the best choice.
That's if you include Michigan and Florida. Unlike Hillary, Obama didn't campaign in either of those states. The counts I've seen so far which exclude MI and FL show that Obama has a 500k vote lead.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #120
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,494
Re: Should Hillary Hang It Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
I know you wouldn't want to be taken out of context:
I'm aware of what my full post said the second part was my primary point... never mind.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29282 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25