Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #16
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,018
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
You guys are totally right. Let's just ignore this issue because Gore's house uses a lot of energy and keep powering the country with fossil fuels.
Actually, I did not read either in Mr. Buster's post or any of my own the suggestion of ignorance toward Al's platform. As I have stated, I have taken some action, and am in favor of many other "green" actions which I stated earlier.
HOWEVER, I would like for Al to follow his own advice, instead of "do as I say, not as I do".
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #17
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,018
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Just curious, have you guys done anything at home to be more green?

I've swapped out nearly all of my light bulbs for compact fluorescents. I noticed a difference in my electric bill right away. My wife and I are also more conscious of keeping unnecessary lights off. I also keep my heat and a/c running strong with yearly tune ups and frequent changes of the air filter. And I installed a programmable thermostat when I first moved in.
Done, Done, AND done. Your backin' up.
I take my own bags to the grocery store. Have RE-weather stripped, and caulked the openings in my house. Have blinds on all the windows that stay mostly down during the day for Cooling benefits. Removed the access panels to the attic to allow greater air flow into the garage to help cool the attic. I am talking a web based weaving course for Hemp products............or at least I WILL BE IF THE SEASON DOES NOT START SOON!!!!!
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #18
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Actually, I did not read either in Mr. Buster's post or any of my own the suggestion of ignorance toward Al's platform. As I have stated, I have taken some action, and am in favor of many other "green" actions which I stated earlier.
HOWEVER, I would like for Al to follow his own advice, instead of "do as I say, not as I do".
"Mr. Buster, where the f--- you at? Can't scrap or lick, so I know you got yo gat." Hilarious.

Schneed pointed this out already, but switching the source of energy production from fossil fuels to renewables means Gore can keep his house and still be green. So his energy consumption has nothing to do with this conversation. Pointing out that Gore's energy consumption is higher than usual, while usually a somewhat dishonest attempt to obfuscate an important issue, is in this case completely irrelevant.

And I love how you respect buster enough to call him Mr. but Gore is just Al. I mean, I don't care about the latter but you are seriously killing me with the Mr. Buster.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #19
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
You guys are totally right. Let's just ignore this issue because Gore's house uses a lot of energy and keep powering the country with fossil fuels.
I do not for one minute think it's unreasonable for someone to question the motives of a guy that doesn't practice what he preaches. You wouldn't take weight loss advice from a guy that is 400 pounds would you?

That being said, I love what Gore is saying, just hate who is saying it. In fact, I feel that Gore hurts the cause, but then again, an argument could be made that no one else is standing up saying anything either.

Like Matty I have changed out all my light bulbs, and while I was hesitant to do so (thinking it would be duller light) it actually appears to be brighter light. If I recall, my new bulbs use around 14 watts, but put out the light of a 65 watt bulb. Plus they last a TON longer. I used to go through a bulb every 4-6 months on my back porch...I changed out to the new bulbs, and it's lasted over a year and counting. I also ride my motorcycle A LOT more (approx. 65 MPG), and walk to work occasionally (when it's not 100+ degrees). I now buy gas for my truck once every 6-8 weeks instead of every 2-3 weeks. I have also seriously considered getting solar panels put on the house, but do you have any clue how expensive that is???? Maybe the government should give a sizable rebate or something...jeesh. I have also had all the windows replaced in the house. I am amazed at how much energy was literally floating out the window!!! I am in the process of getting a new front door and back french doors as well that will help with energy issues.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #20
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post

Schneed pointed this out already, but switching the source of energy production from fossil fuels to renewables means Gore can keep his house and still be green.

But has he done that yet? I mean he did win a nobel peace prize, you would think that would be his first priority. I could be wrong, he might have done it and I am not aware, but the last I knew, he has not made this a priority.

Gores point is no less relevant (which is your point, I understand) but to question him is not only important, it's paramount.

You don't take advice on how to get off drugs from a crack head.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

You guys make it sound like Gore is burning barrels of oil in his yard. He lives in a mansion, which uses more electricity than a not-mansion. He's not riding around the country on a coal-powered bicycle, OK?

And Jsarno, you are confused about what we are discussing. This isn't about Gore reducing his home's dependence on fossil fuels - which means nothing more than the symbolic - it's about America completely changing its infrastructure, for both security and environmental reasons. So when you question whether or not Gore has done "it" yet, I question if you understand what we are talking about here, because that response makes no sense to me.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #22
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

It would have been less controversial if the headline was "Some Noble Peace Prize Winning Smart Dude Lays Down Green Challenge".

Regardless it's better than "Al Green Lays Down Gore Challenge To America"
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #23
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,879
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Just curious, have you guys done anything at home to be more green?

I've swapped out nearly all of my light bulbs for compact fluorescents. I noticed a difference in my electric bill right away. My wife and I are also more conscious of keeping unnecessary lights off. I also keep my heat and a/c running strong with yearly tune ups and frequent changes of the air filter. And I installed a programmable thermostat when I first moved in.

I use CFL all round the house. If I'm not in a room the light is turned off. When I'm not at home everything is turned off. The thermostat turns the heaters on an hour before I get home. If it's cold I wear warm cloths, when it's hot I shed some cloths. It's all easy 1-2-3.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #24
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,879
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Gore is a prick and a hypocrite. Why does anyone need such a huge mansion? I get that he's rich and all but WTF? And the fact that he buys "carbon footprint offset" doesn't change a god damn thing. Maybe if he lived in a more modest house he wouldn't need to pay anyone to offset anything! In any case, I can't stand the mofo!

As for his challenge, I'm listening.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #25
The Starter
 
TheSmurfs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,079
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

I have no problem recycling, using energy star appliances, but when someone like Al Gore (I am not trying to start a political fight here) tries to tell me what I SHOULD be doing and is not even close to adhering to his own doctrine I have real problems with it. Lets not forget, Mr. Gore is a politician not a scientist.
TheSmurfs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #26
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,386
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
You guys make it sound like Gore is burning barrels of oil in his yard. He lives in a mansion, which uses more electricity than a not-mansion. He's not riding around the country on a coal-powered bicycle, OK?

And Jsarno, you are confused about what we are discussing. This isn't about Gore reducing his home's dependence on fossil fuels - which means nothing more than the symbolic - it's about America completely changing its infrastructure, for both security and environmental reasons. So when you question whether or not Gore has done "it" yet, I question if you understand what we are talking about here, because that response makes no sense to me.
Maybe Jsarno is not in love with Al Gore like you are ? Why should a man worht 100 million $$$'s have the life of luxary ,,, $2,500 worth of electricity each month , ride in a limo , fly in jets that burn 5,000 gallons per hour of flight , tell us to cut back when he sits back and does more harm to our environment than all of us in the warpath combined ? I agree with conserving , I walk , bike ect. I also use the Flourecent bulbs ,,, note , if you drop one ,,,, leave the room for ten minutes and clean the area < the have Mercury inside > . But Al Gore preaching to us about the environment is like having an alcoholic preaching " Don't drink and Drive " .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #27
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
You guys make it sound like Gore is burning barrels of oil in his yard. He lives in a mansion, which uses more electricity than a not-mansion. He's not riding around the country on a coal-powered bicycle, OK?

And Jsarno, you are confused about what we are discussing. This isn't about Gore reducing his home's dependence on fossil fuels - which means nothing more than the symbolic - it's about America completely changing its infrastructure, for both security and environmental reasons. So when you question whether or not Gore has done "it" yet, I question if you understand what we are talking about here, because that response makes no sense to me.
I don't see how you're confused. I responded to your response to this post:
Quote:
So is he announcing that he's painting his private jet green...or one of his houses that use more energy than most towns?
This was your response:

Quote:
You guys are totally right. Let's just ignore this issue because Gore's house uses a lot of energy and keep powering the country with fossil fuels.
So maybe I was not specific enough. Stop me when I am wrong...This is about Gore challenging america to go green. Yet, Gore himself has not gone green, which a couple people pointed out. Then you got sarcastic with the responses (see above post by you) so I am failing to see where you are lost.

If Gore is challenging america, sure it's about america changing it's infrastructure, however, it also brings into question the one who brings it up. Gore himself. Why is it he is challenging america when he didn't bother to challenge himself?
Don't get me wrong, I love the message, but the messenger is a hypocrite. Like I pointed out, I feel Gore being "the spokesperson" diminishes the cause.

So please inform me of where I am lost after this post. I'd love to clear it up for you.
(please note, that is a genuine comment, not sarcasm which I admit it looks like)
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #28
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,293
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
And Jsarno, you are confused about what we are discussing. This isn't about Gore reducing his home's dependence on fossil fuels - which means nothing more than the symbolic - it's about America completely changing its infrastructure, for both security and environmental reasons. So when you question whether or not Gore has done "it" yet, I question if you understand what we are talking about here, because that response makes no sense to me.
Well said. Al Gore's main mission is not to get people to conserve. While that is a good idea, his main mission is to have American energy companies switch to using renewable energy sources to meet our high energy demands.

His "green challenge" is not to the American people. It is to congress, the White House, and energy companies to move forward with renewable energy infrastructure.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #29
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,293
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Like I pointed out, I feel Gore being "the spokesperson" diminishes the cause.
If he somehow diminishes the cause, then you're not focusing hard enough on the message.

Forget what Gore does for a second with the lights in his house or the fuel in his jets. Wipe it from your brain.

Do you think:

- The US should use more wind power?
- More clean nuclear power?
- Develop hydrogen fuel cells, electric cars, etc?
- Import less oil from other countries?
- Drive the price of gas and electricity down using these market forces?

Nobody cares what you think of Al Gore. The question is do you think this is a good plan? I'd love to hear a reason why not - "Al Gore said so" does not qualify.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #30
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Al Gore lays down green challenge to America

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Gore is a prick and a hypocrite. Why does anyone need such a huge mansion? I get that he's rich and all but WTF? And the fact that he buys "carbon footprint offset" doesn't change a god damn thing. Maybe if he lived in a more modest house he wouldn't need to pay anyone to offset anything! In any case, I can't stand the mofo!

As for his challenge, I'm listening.
djnemo- the above post sums up my thoughts pretty well. Especially the end.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34128 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25