Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Gustav

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #46
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
There are federally built levees all across the country and I don't hear anyone suggest that because some of middle America has levees around their homes, that they should move.
They used to do this all the time. A city would flood because it is ina flood plain and the federal gov't would come in and tell them to move the town.

The problem with NO isn't that it is prone to natural disasters in a simlar way to other US cities. It is prone to natural disasters because it is part of the ocean that we have decided to convert to developed land. That will never change. We can build better and bettet buildings to withstand earthquakes and tornados. We can't drain the ocean which w'd need to do since water is the most destructive force on earth.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #47
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,418
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I think that's the most important thing. The problem in NOLA isn't universal. It's a rich vs. poor situation. New Orleans, like most cities has a pretty visible class system. And the people who are still without help are the ones who do not have a lot of money. Most of the rich people live either on the outskirts like uptown or in the more touristy version of the city. Each of which are better protected that places like the 9th ward.

That said, I have a friend from Slidell (a district of NO that was hit hard). He told me that they are back in their home. He didn't say when, but he gutted what needed to be gutted with a couple of his friends and they rebuilt what needed rebuilding. He didn't say whether he had trouble, but I know many people had issues getting their power turned on in their homes. Many of the electric companies tried to charge citizens for the time that they were out of power, that's flat out wrong.

I am personally considering moving to New Orleans because I've never to be any place like it in my entire life. The French Quarter, uptown, Garden District, all of that is amazing. You just can't move that to some other location. I would be heart broken if they just decide to abandon the city of New Orleans. The levees are federally built, and they're only built to stand up to a Cat 3. The federal government needs to do a better job. There are federally built levees all across the country and I don't hear anyone suggest that because some of middle America has levees around their homes, that they should move.

As for the suggestion that people who are hit by multiple natural disasters should abandon their homes...that's just retarded. That would constitute the majority of the United States. The majority of the southern U.S. is hit by Hurricanes or threatened by tornadoes, California is always experiencing earthquakes, hell we face hurricanes and tornadoes where we live. It's naive to think that we should all just move to somewhere where nothing can possibly happen. It's not naive however, to assume that when the government institutes a system to protect you, you should hold them to their word. I'm not saying that the government should rebuild homes, but they should make strong levees.
I agree and that's basically what I was trying to say here. NO is the way it is because of an inadequate levee system, which can be directly attributable to the Fed. Providing a strong levee system in a high risk area shouldn't be too much to expect.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #48
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Talking Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
You're starting to sound like Barack Obama, incredibly vague.

Making an informed decision on this topic is just above Matty's pay grade, that's all.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #49
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Gustav

__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #50
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,418
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
And?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #51
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Gustav

You don't see any problems there?
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #52
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Funny how we can fund billions of dollars in a war effort but we've got people still living in trailers 3 years after a national emergency. Something about our gov'ts priorities just doesn't sit right with me. The Fed oversaw an inadequate levee system that they clearly knew was at risk for an epic disaster, and when that disaster strikes some trailers and basic necessities is the satisfactory response for you? Really?

Go get some flood insurance? Apparently there's good reason why some didn't have it or were underinsured.
So your opinion is that if your bank does not force you to buy the protection then its not needed. If you own a home I hope you did not by a policy that just coveres what the mortgage Co says they require because if you have a loss your in for a big surprise. Also by the fact it was considered a lower risk area would make the flood ins policy run around $300.00 in premium per year.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #53
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,418
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
You don't see any problems there?
enough with the games what are you saying exactly?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #54
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,983
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I think that's the most important thing. The problem in NOLA isn't universal. It's a rich vs. poor situation. New Orleans, like most cities has a pretty visible class system. And the people who are still without help are the ones who do not have a lot of money. Most of the rich people live either on the outskirts like uptown or in the more touristy version of the city. Each of which are better protected that places like the 9th ward.

That said, I have a friend from Slidell (a district of NO that was hit hard). He told me that they are back in their home. He didn't say when, but he gutted what needed to be gutted with a couple of his friends and they rebuilt what needed rebuilding. He didn't say whether he had trouble, but I know many people had issues getting their power turned on in their homes. Many of the electric companies tried to charge citizens for the time that they were out of power, that's flat out wrong.

I am personally considering moving to New Orleans because I've never to be any place like it in my entire life. The French Quarter, uptown, Garden District, all of that is amazing. You just can't move that to some other location. I would be heart broken if they just decide to abandon the city of New Orleans. The levees are federally built, and they're only built to stand up to a Cat 3. The federal government needs to do a better job. There are federally built levees all across the country and I don't hear anyone suggest that because some of middle America has levees around their homes, that they should move.

As for the suggestion that people who are hit by multiple natural disasters should abandon their homes...that's just retarded. That would constitute the majority of the United States. The majority of the southern U.S. is hit by Hurricanes or threatened by tornadoes, California is always experiencing earthquakes, hell we face hurricanes and tornadoes where we live. It's naive to think that we should all just move to somewhere where nothing can possibly happen. It's not naive however, to assume that when the government institutes a system to protect you, you should hold them to their word. I'm not saying that the government should rebuild homes, but they should make strong levees.
The problem is the city or much of the downtown area is below sea level. It's not like a secret. It has a pump system that pumps out the downtown in event of water intrusion, and since water does not run uphill....this happens often.
So the question is, you have a city and it's residents living for generations with full knowledge that this is a...........problem, and can get serious, quick.
How much commmon sense is the Fed responsible for?
I don't have an exact number, but the Fed purchased 10's of thousands of mobile homes for displaced residents. Relocated at no charge many thousands more to other cities. Blank checks for a couple of thousand dollars for displaced residents...10's, if not hundreds of thousands of checks
What's the limit of the Federal responsibility?
What level of hand holding is adequate?
Where are the mayor, and Governor in this equation?
Point is.....how much is enough?

BTW, to my knowledge, power companies charge on a usage basis only, so no use, no charge?
NO is a cool ass place, (some of the best times I cannot remember happened there) and I would hate to see it go. at what cost?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #55
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,418
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So your opinion is that if your bank does not force you to buy the protection then its not needed. If you own a home I hope you did not by a policy that just coveres what the mortgage Co says they require because if you have a loss your in for a big surprise. Also by the fact it was considered a lower risk area would make the flood ins policy run around $300.00 in premium per year.
They weren't legally required to have coverage and they were deemed to be in a low risk area... you see no problem with that? In the end it's up to the homeowner to evaluate their own risk level but I just have a hard time passing the buck completely to them based on the bad info they were basing their decision on.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #56
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
They weren't legally required to have coverage and they were deemed to be in a low risk area... you see no problem with that? In the end it's up to the homeowner to evaluate their own risk level but I just have a hard time passing the buck completely to them based on the bad info they were basing their decision on.
Well when you stand in your street and you have to look up to see a ship going by then its within good reason that you should buy flood ins.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #57
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,983
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
They weren't legally required to have coverage and they were deemed to be in a low risk area... you see no problem with that? In the end it's up to the homeowner to evaluate their own risk level but I just have a hard time passing the buck completely to them based on the bad info they were basing their decision on.
I have lived on the Gulf Coast for ......Many years in several locations in Texas, and Florida. I have also spent much time in LA.........it LOOKS like it's ready to flood!
I have never bought a house that lies in "flood plain", although there are probably several million homes that are built in the flood plain on the GC. I have 100% had flood ins. Weathered many tropical storms and H-canes. To date no water in the house.
People have to make better decisions, or deal with the consequences. Sad, but true.
Do you change the oil in your car? Why? It might not cause any problems.....or maybe....
This is the gulf coast....it floods...everywhere
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #58
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,277
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well when you stand in your street and you have to look up to see a ship going by then its within good reason that you should buy flood ins.
Exactly. It's common friggin sense.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #59
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,418
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well when you stand in your street and you have to look up to see a ship going by then its within good reason that you should buy flood ins.

So... why is it not legally required as it is in so called high risk areas?

Not having insurance isn't the entire issue either, the main problem seemed to be people who were underinsured. So they had it, just not enough coverage for a disaster the size of Katrina. But of course they were told they didn't need it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #60
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,983
Re: Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
So... why is it not legally required as it is in so called high risk areas?

Not having insurance isn't the entire issue either, the main problem seemed to be people who were underinsured. So they had it, just not enough coverage for a disaster the size of Katrina. But of course they were told they didn't need it.
At what point do people need to take responsibility for their own lives?
Do you carry adequate insurance? Why?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31793 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25