Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Any opinions on deficits and economy?

I am writing a 10 page paper on the subject "if deficits matter". I have a ton of reading, and gone over several basic econ principles to come up with an idea. But does anyone have any opinions about one or the other?
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Its all Bush's and the Republicans fault. If Obama is elected everthing will be just fine.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

The entire global economy is based on the concept of debt, so a deficit in an of itself is just a fact, not a good thing or bad thing.

It's when you start stringing deficits together and lose control of the ability to pay back the debts that you have a real credibility problem.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Thanks first...just for the record I am pretty fiscally conservative being an economics major and all.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Propane and propane accessories
 
JWsleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 45
Posts: 4,588
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
I am writing a 10 page paper on the subject "if deficits matter". I have a ton of reading, and gone over several basic econ principles to come up with an idea. But does anyone have any opinions about one or the other?
Let us know what you find out!

My intuition is that some debt is fine; too much can affect the rest of your economics in bad ways. (That's no help, I know! )
__________________
Hail from Houston!
JWsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Yea generally speaking deficit spending is alright based on what your general beliefs are. If you are a Keynesian then it is ok, until you reach near full employment, then inflation occurs.

Major factors to concern is the current dependence on foreign investment to fund borrowing, rather than domestic. Also raising taxes isn't always the best answer either, but if invested properly it is ok.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,516
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Its all Bush's and the Republicans fault. If Obama is elected everthing will be just fine.
your finally learning
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Its all Bush's and the Republicans fault. If Obama is elected everthing will be just fine.
I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but Bush and the Republicans did have total control over everything for about six years and government did nothing but expand. Obama will gladly take over where they left off.

The spending for all of these foreign misadventures is the biggest problem I have. There's the $10 billion a month for Iraq, for which McCain sees no end in sight. In addition, he and the Neoclowns are just itching for a fight with Iran, then they're happy to provoke the Russians by trying to get Ukraine and Georgia into NATO -- so they apparently don't have a problem saber-rattling and picking a fight with the Red Army either. What's that going to cost us?

To this current crowd of Republicans, there is no place on earth that couldn't benefit from having U.S. troops on the ground and an unlimited supply of cash from the American Taxpayer to fund them and solve every problem they can find.

I can't wait for this group of Republicans to get their asses kicked out of office in about two weeks -- with the exception of Ron Paul of course.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,723
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but Bush and the Republicans did have total control over everything for about six years and government did nothing but expand. Obama will gladly take over where they left off.

The spending for all of these foreign misadventures is the biggest problem I have. There's the $10 billion a month for Iraq, for which McCain sees no end in sight. In addition, he and the Neoclowns are just itching for a fight with Iran, then they're happy to provoke the Russians by trying to get Ukraine and Georgia into NATO -- so they apparently don't have a problem saber-rattling and picking a fight with the Red Army either. What's that going to cost us?

To this current crowd of Republicans, there is no place on earth that couldn't benefit from having U.S. troops on the ground and an unlimited supply of cash from the American Taxpayer to fund them and solve every problem they can find.

I can't wait for this group of Republicans to get their asses kicked out of office in about two weeks -- with the exception of Ron Paul of course.
A big hells yeah to that
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

leverage isn't bad, but if you can't pay your debts or create more money to pay them, you get inflation, less foreign investment, higher interest on new loans, etc

having an exploding debt year after year will eventually create problems, we're just lucky cause the world is tied to our economy and our national debt is only about 25% at 11trillion (i think) so you haven't seen the rampant inflation or credit problems (as a nation) that other countries would see if they ran themselves like we have...
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #11
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Hooskins, since you're doing the paper now it's probably good timing to emphasize the crowding out principle. I've been a little surprised economists have not talked more about the coincidence of massive deficit spending and the largest national debt in our nation's history w/ the earlier liquidity tremors (before light was cast on the shadow financial/insurance market and a lot of folks shit their proverbial pants). In fact, I remember hearing an analyst on Bloomberg discuss receding liquidity prior to all this - can't remember his name but I bet a little research will land you some material.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Any opinions on deficits and economy?

Thanks fellas I finished this paper.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.23793 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25