Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


obama informercial gameday thread

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #61
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,058
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Obama's recent comment regarding the kind of judges he wants also softened me up (What's your pet peeve?) a bit on him:

Quote:
"We need somebody who's got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor, or African-American, or gay, or disabled, or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges."

-Obama
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 10-31-2008 at 01:17 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #62
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
What's your point? That he is committing a crime? That he is cheating the system? He's playing by the standards and as I have said I don't like the standards.

Let's not even talk about McCain who has his own set of donation problems revealed inadvertently by the morons that work for him who botched a simple publicity stunt meant shame/force Obama into releasing his donor list.
I would hope that he is not knownly breaking the law but I do feel that he is turning a blind eye and would perfer not to know. Why else would you remove from your own site security checks that the typical business or organization would use to verify the person using the credit card? Why would you not use the standard AVS system to track donations? Why would he be receiving all these donations on these gift credit cards which is hard to trace who purchased or used them? These are valid questions which will either never be answered or answered after the election. For a man who claims he wants all these reforms he seems to be running a pretty loose ship when it comes to donations.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #63
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,972
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I decided long ago that I would be voting for Obama. I can't stand McCain on the grounds of his policies and incompetence. I simply hate incompetent people and right now McCain is standing on top of the Shiny Hill of Stupidania all alone with Palin and the rest of the crew half way to the top.
I thought you were off his bandwagon?

http://www.thewarpath.net/481751-post40.html (The Official Debate Thread (Round 1))

But I guess he's not the "wanker trying to get his" anymore?

http://www.thewarpath.net/455906-post1.html (FISA with Telecom Immunity Passed)

And it's interesting how you can stand McCain's policies now

http://www.thewarpath.net/453637-post15.html (Understanding The Issues: Subprime/Housing Crisis)

http://www.thewarpath.net/438209-post2.html (Understanding the Issues 2008: Energy)

I understand these are just two issues, but I think it illustrates that when it comes down to it, even the brightest minds care less about where they stand on issues than their general impression of the candidates.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #64
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

SmootSmack, if you don't mind my asking, who will you be voting for?

I'm only curious because your responses on the political threads seem to be the most balanced, thoughtful viewpoints of any. For the life of me I still can't figure out where you're coming from, though I may have just missed an obvious post along the way.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #65
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Obama's recent comment regarding the kind of judges he wants also softened me up (What's your pet peeve?) a bit on him:
I thought a judges job was to interpet the law and not make law.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #66
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Obama's recent comment regarding the kind of judges he wants also softened me up (What's your pet peeve?) a bit on him:
Funny you'd pick that quote because that's precisely one of the reasons I won't vote for Obama.

I think the composition of the Supreme Court and the appointments a president gets to make is one of the most crucial factors come election time.

Someone who is going to base judge appointments on emotion and empathy scares the living daylights on me. I want experience, reason, rationale and the guts to make tough decisions, not someone who is going to vote based on some empathetic emotional whim.

There's a lot of factors that would go into making a good judge, empathy being one of many. For Obama to seemingly highlight that as the only one that's important scares me.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 PM   #67
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,972
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
SmootSmack, if you don't mind my asking, who will you be voting for?

I'm only curious because your responses on the political threads seem to be the most balanced, thoughtful viewpoints of any. For the life of me I still can't figure out where you're coming from, though I may have just missed an obvious post along the way.
You kidding? I'm a Republican. Best believe I'm voting for...Obama

http://www.thewarpath.net/492503-post27.html (Colin Powell endorses Obama)

http://www.thewarpath.net/474168-post539.html (Update: McCain Selects Gov. Sarah Palin as Running Mate)

I don't know that I explicitly say Obama there but I explain my concerns with voting for McCain. I also think that even if McCain were to win now, he would likely be a one-term President.

My feeling is that 8 years ago, the Democrat party said "Just wait, in 4 years we'll get back what's rightfully ours after being robbed in the 2000 election" And then in 2004, they just embarassed themselves ("led" by John Kerry) when the opportunity to return to the White House was there for the taking. The Democratic party needs a win to restore some pride and positive reputation to the party.

Meanwhile, the Republican party I believe would actually be best served by a loss that will serve as a wake-up call that people are pissed and things need to change.

I will vote for Obama, and hope he does well. But I also hope it makes the Republican party stronger down the road.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #68
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,279
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

saden, your defending him like a defense trial laywer.. i guess it depends on what your definition of "is" is.

I mean really, he agreed in spirit that he would, and then, once it came down to it, he jumped ship. And i mean, despite his speeches, his actual track record is to vote straight democratic 97% of the time. He's just about as far left as you can get.

I'm not a huge fan of mccain's pandering or his choice of palin (and i'm not voting for either btw), but his track record is 85% republican party line voting, which is at least a bit more moderate, and there is a chance he could go back to the guy from 2000 once in office.

not that it matters, since your bias has been insanely one sided since this whole thing began, but neither one of them is crapping roses, and there's a good chance once obama gets elected that a lot of people may end up disappointed after his term is done.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:08 PM   #69
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

isn't a supreme court justice's job to interpret and enforce the constitution? im not sure what experience, and guts have to do with it?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #70
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,058
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I am off the Obama bandwagon but I despise McCain (If the election was held today)...what is your point? I no longer volunteer for Obama nor do I donate any money to him any more. Perhaps I shouldn't defend him against falsehoods and invalid accusations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
But I guess he's not the "wanker trying to get his" anymore?

http://www.thewarpath.net/455906-post1.html (FISA with Telecom Immunity Passed)
I still think he's still a wanker trying to get his but he does have the right ideas when it comes a lot of other issues I care about (Vice Presidential Debate Thread). Again, what is the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And it's interesting how you can stand McCain's policies now

http://www.thewarpath.net/453637-post15.html (Understanding The Issues: Subprime/Housing Crisis)

http://www.thewarpath.net/438209-post2.html (Understanding the Issues 2008: Energy)

I understand these are just two issues, but I think it illustrates that when it comes down to it, even the brightest minds care less about where they stand on issues than their general impression of the candidates.
LOL...what part of what I wrote offends sensibility? If McCain stands up today and says I plan to appoint Liberal justices who support liberal ideals to the Supreme Court I'll like the plan too.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #71
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,058
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
saden, your defending him like a defense trial laywer.. i guess it depends on what your definition of "is" is.

I mean really, he agreed in spirit that he would, and then, once it came down to it, he jumped ship. And i mean, despite his speeches, his actual track record is to vote straight democratic 97% of the time. He's just about as far left as you can get.

I'm not a huge fan of mccain's pandering or his choice of palin (and i'm not voting for either btw), but his track record is 85% republican party line voting, which is at least a bit more moderate, and there is a chance he could go back to the guy from 2000 once in office.

not that it matters, since your bias has been insanely one sided since this whole thing began, but neither one of them is crapping roses, and there's a good chance once obama gets elected that a lot of people may end up disappointed after his term is done.
I always knew I would make a fantastic lawyer. Obama certainly did some calculating, that doesn't necessarily mean he lied or reneged on promise.

With respect to voting 97% of the time with democrats, well, not all ideas are equal, some ideas are in fact better than others. McCain can vote 100% republicans but he should make sure he's voting for good ideas people can get behind...lord knows if you don't, well, you just might not become president.

My bias (preference seems like a better choice if you ask) is fully explain and rationalized in my post. If anything isn't clear, I'll be happy to clarify.

I have said it before, with Obama, I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worst. Whatever happens know that saden will be good to go.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 11-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #72
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,972
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I am off the Obama bandwagon but I despise McCain (If the election was held today)...what is your point? I no longer volunteer for Obama nor do I donate any money to him any more. Perhaps I shouldn't defend him against falsehoods and invalid accusations?



I still think he's still a wanker trying to get his but he does have the right ideas when it comes a lot of other issues I care about (Vice Presidential Debate Thread). Again, what is the problem?



LOL...what part of what I wrote offends sensibility? If McCain stands up today and says I plan to appoint Liberal justices who support liberal ideals to the Supreme Court I'll like the plan too.
I just think it's interesting that you mention your frustrations with Obama in passing while still voting for him, by the same token you mention where you agree with McCain in passing while focusing on his "incompetence"

I mean, in my opinion, the minute you wrote your the Republican base is all about guns, greeds, gays and God reminds you of an odious tampon I sort of figured your posts moving forward would be as balanced as Buster's or 70Chip's. Which honestly let me down.

Oh well, you're still cool in my book. Just disappointed with the shift in your political threads to what strikes me almost as one-sided anger
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #73
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
isn't a supreme court justice's job to interpret and enforce the constitution? im not sure what experience, and guts have to do with it?
Because accurately and intelligently interpreting the constitution would require some substantial legal experience and the ability to make tough decisions when asked.

Would you like to appoint some kid fresh out of law school who can't decide what he wants for dinner to the Supreme Court? Of COURSE experience and integrity/guts/will is required.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #74
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,058
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
Funny you'd pick that quote because that's precisely one of the reasons I won't vote for Obama.

I think the composition of the Supreme Court and the appointments a president gets to make is one of the most crucial factors come election time.

Someone who is going to base judge appointments on emotion and empathy scares the living daylights on me. I want experience, reason, rationale and the guts to make tough decisions, not someone who is going to vote based on some empathetic emotional whim.

There's a lot of factors that would go into making a good judge, empathy being one of many. For Obama to seemingly highlight that as the only one that's important scares me.
Well, that's where we part ways. I believe it is essential that a judge be able to reconcile current law and a new issue facing the court. Without the ability to "intellectually identify with or vicarious experience of feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another" a judge lacks the ability to make sound judgment necessary to resolve cases without precedence (what the Supreme Court routinely does).
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #75
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: obama informercial gameday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Well, that's where we part ways...I believe it is essential that a judge be able to reconcile current law and a new issue facing the court. Without the ability to "intellectually identify with or vicarious experience of feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another" they lack the ability to make sound judgment necessary to resolve cases without precedence (what the Supreme Court routinely does).
Like I said, empathy is important - but it's one important trait amongst many.

Obama offered no other criteria (at least in that quote) and leads you to believe that his judge appointments will be based solely on whether the judge is empathetic or not.

Empathy is important, without a doubt. I would argue, though, that while it's important, it's certainly not THE most important or the only criteria by which a judge ought to be measured.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38431 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25