Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Are you kidding?
Do I look like I'm kidding? >
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Its a bad idea because its a waste of money. No one truly benefits. Its like the 2 and 3 year army terms. The biggest expense the army takes on with recruits is advertising/recruiting and training. This includes the mont. GI bill. Why spend that much $ on someone and have them leave before they can be of service to you.

I can't imagine dedicating resources to 3 months of training. What do you really gain? I guess that would be the new focus of recruiting. "Hey you've already done three months, why not stay...". Not to mention they would have their undivided attention for those 3 months.

But the first 18yr old that dies in an accident or from heat exhaustion that didn't want to be a part of it would result in a huge media circus and no doubt the aclu would have a new purpose (other than defending perverts)
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,614
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Wow, so far most people agree but it seems most here agreeing served. If Bush had sugested this the press would be going nuts about forcing people to serve. They would be using words like slavery and things like that.
If nothing else, you know at least one person (sound like clek35) would be all over it.

There have been at least 4 years (as long as I've been here) of Bush bashing threads (some deserved, several not so much) so there shouldn't be much complaining if the tide is turned now and Obama and the members of his administration are scrutinized and criticized at every turn.

That said, for the love of God man, can we just drop this until at least the off-season? How is no one sick of this political talk yet?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #19
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,953
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You know what I really want to do? I want to do all that cool stuff national guardsmen do without the possibility of having to go to war, get a stop-loss letter, and then lose my job. That's not too much to ask is it? I'm willing to dig ditches, throw sandbags, and protect the people in the event of a zombie epidemic.
You know they have something very similar to that. Its called the coast guard. I have some friends who went after high school. I kick myself all the time for not going as well.
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #20
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,469
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalEnigma21 View Post
Yeah, the media is completely out to get bush and co. It has nothing to do with the fact that he is a goddamn cocky retard. "I will track down evildoers..."

What is he fucking batman? I disagree with the initiative but bush and co get off way too easy for the piss poor leadership of the last 8 years. The republicans are fully aware of it. Hence McCain. Only they decided to jump on McCains bandwagon 8yrs too late.
I love that line.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #21
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,506
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalEnigma21 View Post
Its a bad idea because its a waste of money. No one truly benefits. Its like the 2 and 3 year army terms. The biggest expense the army takes on with recruits is advertising/recruiting and training. This includes the mont. GI bill. Why spend that much $ on someone and have them leave before they can be of service to you.

I can't imagine dedicating resources to 3 months of training. What do you really gain? I guess that would be the new focus of recruiting. "Hey you've already done three months, why not stay...". Not to mention they would have their undivided attention for those 3 months.

But the first 18yr old that dies in an accident or from heat exhaustion that didn't want to be a part of it would result in a huge media circus and no doubt the aclu would have a new purpose (other than defending perverts)
If it's mandatory you wouldn't be advertising or recruiting. The GI Bill requires a $1200 contribution on the individual's part and served for at least 3 years active duty (at least it did in 1995).

Also, a conscientous objector most probably would be able to fulfill his commitment doing some other form of civil service, as is the case in other countries.

I won't argue that obviously there will need to be funding for this program, though. Just maybe not as much as one might think. A lot of details need to be ironned out but who knows. I can see a sort of hybrid JobCorp-National Defense being presented.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #22
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
This is exactly the type of stuff that SHOULDN'T go on in our country. Our country was founded on the principles of a weak federal gov't that had the capability to provide national defense and some semblance of coordination between 50 SEPERATE states with common goals. Not some giant monolith that ruled over everyone. We have wandered so far from that original objective. If he wants to institute something like this because we need more military people then stop bullshitting and call it a draft. Stop trying to pretty it up with some emotional argument about "common experience". This type of thinking would be completely counter to what our country was founded on really. FORCING people to do something. Of course I guess our conutry is becoming more and more about forcing people to do things everyday. And I don't care what other countries do. The old adage about jumping off a bridge because your friend did it first comes to mind. Just because someone else does it doesn't make it right.

I hope Obama doesn't hold this same thought. I do worry though that his foundational thinking isn't as contrary as I think it would be.
We force our children to go to school everyday, hell, its even backed by law. Why do we do it? Because we want some sort of baseline education for all Americans. Education provides better opportunities for success. Not everyone has to go to college.

What would this Mandatory Defense Training provide? A baseline education in combat skills and survival for all Americans. It will provide them with greater opportunities for success. Not everyone has to sign up for full blown Military service.

You probably supported the removal of PE from schools too, didn't you?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #23
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
We force our children to go to school everyday, hell, its even backed by law. Why do we do it? Because we want some sort of baseline education for all Americans. Education provides better opportunities for success. Not everyone has to go to college.

What would this Mandatory Defense Training provide? A baseline education in combat skills and survival for all Americans. It will provide them with greater opportunities for success. Not everyone has to sign up for full blown Military service.

You probably supported the removal of PE from schools too, didn't you?

come on now, that has to be the most retarded comparison i've ever heard. are you really trying to make a connection between education in math, science, history,etc.. to learning military tactics ?
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #24
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

what's next, taking babies from their families and forcing them to learn gymnastics and compete in the olympics ?
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #25
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins View Post
come on now, that has to be the most retarded comparison i've ever heard. are you really trying to make a connection between education in math, science, history,etc.. to learning military tactics ?
Yes, because military training teaches you map reading, history, math, land navigation, first aid, physical education, problem solving, communication skills, and it makes you grow the hell up really quick because they instill discipline.

Why do yo think that employers try to snatch us up so quickly? Because our training goes beyond the battlefield. Tactics and how to shoot a rifle are only a portion of the skills learned by the soldier.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #26
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,917
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
We force our children to go to school everyday, hell, its even backed by law. Why do we do it? Because we want some sort of baseline education for all Americans. Education provides better opportunities for success. Not everyone has to go to college.

What would this Mandatory Defense Training provide? A baseline education in combat skills and survival for all Americans. It will provide them with greater opportunities for success. Not everyone has to sign up for full blown Military service.

You probably supported the removal of PE from schools too, didn't you?
Educating children isn't quite the same in my book. We don't force people to go to college. There are defined lines we already have.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Yes, because military training teaches you map reading, history, math, land navigation, first aid, physical education, problem solving, communication skills, and it makes you grow the hell up really quick because they instill discipline.

Why do yo think that employers try to snatch us up so quickly? Because our training goes beyond the battlefield. Tactics and how to shoot a rifle are only a portion of the skills learned by the soldier.
Sounds like a perfect solution to our obesity problem.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #28
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Sounds like a perfect solution to our obesity problem.
Always a commedian.

Look, to all of those who disagree with me, I feel that you all have valid arguments. However, I also feel that most of you share those points of view because you have no first hand experience. Ask anyone who has served, or at least been through basic training or boot camp. I would be willing to wager that the majority would say that they would do it all over again if they were could go back in time and change their lives.

In my honest opinion, I believe that it is an experience that most would benefit from, whether they felt forced at first or not. Like many of our mothers used to tell us "how do you know that you won't like it until you try it"?

Anyway, I have already expressed my opinion on it, and that view will not change. I will not argue this issue any further. I do not think that the forthcomming administration has the nuts to try and pass this anyway, so why do we even bother ourselves with the concecpt?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #29
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Amendment 13 of the United States Constitution:

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Sounds pretty damn unconstitutional if you ask me.

But then, that's never stopped anybody.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #30
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Obama's Chief of Staff Promoting Mandatory Defense Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Amendment 13 of the United States Constitution:

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Sounds pretty damn unconstitutional if you ask me.

But then, that's never stopped anybody.
Jury Duty is not involuntary servitutude? At least you get somewhat of a paycheck in the service.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37532 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25