Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


P90x

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,348
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
You need to check out Body for Life. Your running, cardo, is only 20 minutes per day 3x a week. That is the best part for me and it is effective.

Body-for-LIFE
I'll give it a look, I like the sound of the program already. I want to stay fit I just don't want to spend hours a day doing it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,741
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'll give it a look, I like the sound of the program already. I want to stay fit I just don't want to spend hours a day doing it.

It requires 6 day workouts 3 are the 20 minute cardio and 3 are I say 30-40 weight training. When I am doing it I do the cardio at home on my treadmill and the weight part at the gym. They beleive building muscle will help you burn and keep off weight more effectively.


IF anything you will learn a lot about proper mechanics of weight training.

I usually do the program form September to December because I usually pack a few on during the summer months (cookouts, beer, thinking I am getting a workout becasue I am outside, blowing off the gym cause it is nice out, etc...) and it keeps me focused during the holiday food rush as well.

There is a diet portion to it. Basically eat low fat high fiber food in small six meals a day on the seventh day you can eat like a slob.

I have had great success with it.

P90x to me looks and feels like fucking ninja training, I don't need to be a ninja.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I've got that app on my iPhone, was thinking of giving it a shot this summer, though I hate running.
So do I, cycling on the other hand I love. I don't hate running as much as my back does though.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #19
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I've never been able to throw up a ton on the bench either. Not sure if it's from having long arms or maybe just a weak chest. Maybe both. I admit I've never done much to try to improve upon it either.
haha yeah, that's the main reason for weaker lifts

I'm not a big fan of it but I realized to hit my total (big 3 lifts, squat.. dead.. bench) my bench would be the easiest to improve, back when I was powerlifting

I went from 315 to 345 just by studying the form and practicing it within a week

I'd be lucky to bench 225 now, my old warmup :-/
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: P90x

I'll also second the Body For Life recommendation

I've never done it but several of my friends have, it just wasn't really the goals that I was going after

once I get back rolling with lifting I imagine that I'll start with something similar though
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #21
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: P90x

I am interested in the P90X program.

Last year from January - May, I was killing with my workouts. I made huge gains in strength. In May, I broke my left arm at work and it required a plate and screws to fix. I'm just now getting to the point where I can carry reasonably-weighted things with that arm, but it's about half the size of my right arm now. I lost everything I gained and more. I was doing 100 consecutive pushups, sets of 25 weighted pullups (used canvas backpack with 30-40 lbs of weight plates in it...it BURNS), had added 60 pounds to my bench in that timeframe and my wife told me "there's a lot more of me to hold". I was really getting ripped. She also said I was "obsessed" with working out but that's another story.

So, now I'm looking for a great workout that doesn't involve heavy free weights (yet) or horse drugs like McGwire. I've been working my abs and lower body, but I need my upper back on track.

Would this be good? I know it's intense, which is fine with me, but would it put a lot of weight on my rehabbing arm? I'm probably not ready for it...don't want to snap it again.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #22
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: P90x

nah p90x won't put a lot of stress on the arm

most of it is lower handweights and bands, from what I've seen anyways
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #23
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: P90x

I just ordered p90x last Friday. I also went to Costco and bought tons of healthy high protein foods to go along with it. Ive always been a decently skinny guy but im about the fattest ive ever been for the last 6 months, I think my metabolism is finally slowing down. I eat pretty unhealthy, a lot of fast food, seven eleven, custom combos from multiple fast food places. If I cant microwave it or toast it I pick it up. I think I hit a low when I did the Taco Bell Taste Off thread. I also eat candy and chocolate pretty much all day long while at work (just gave up candy for Lent). I also drink fairly heavily. I was diagnosed with hypertension about a year or so ago.

I was running a mile or 2 a few times a week about 2 summers ago, and Ive been doing perfect pushups off and on for about 2 years now. Besides that I havent exercised in over 10 years (im 27). I was pretty athletic as a kid and played a year of high school bball and football then turned 16 and started working so I could have a car.

So basically I decided about a month to get back in shape, after a 10 year hiatus. Part of it is I want to see if I can complete the p90x just as a personal challenge, since people make it out to be so hard. Ive been doing tons of pushups and bought dumbbells for prep (powerblocks are badass). I plan on starting March 1st. I also have tried running a couple times and knocked out a mile right off the bat. My muscles feel okay, but my lungs are completely shot. Im signed up to run the Monument 10k in about a month, thatís gonna be real tough for me lung condition wise.

I will let you how it goes for me. Obviously with my history its gonna be tough, but fortunately I think im still young enough that I can take it on.

Here is the best review ive seen out there by a normal guy. He has his diet info on page 4 or so. (also I donít play video games, just came across this forum by searching p90x stuff).

My P90X Transformation -- with pictures and full review - MLG Forums
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Me a guy at work and my brother in law are doing it. I am off track do to the 100 feet of snow we got and the amount of shoveling I was doing.

I think if I did a exhaustion test right now I score 55 or 60. I really just don't have a strong chest, there are a lot genetics involved with having a strong chest. I think on my best day I can maybe bench 150-175 but I will see the tiniest guys come in and throw up 200 225. Weird.

I have never really trained to be extremely strong just to stay fit. I just want to be able to take my shirt off in public and keep up with my two year old without losing my breath.

I like to see GMScud take on PX90, he is a gym rat.
Most places are "no shirt, no service"...where are you thinking of chasing your kid shirtless? Chuckie Cheese?

My best workout since my surgery was last week, shoveling snow. It was a nice test for my arm. It was sore but it didn't snap again, so that's a plus.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,348
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Would this be good? I know it's intense, which is fine with me, but would it put a lot of weight on my rehabbing arm? I'm probably not ready for it...don't want to snap it again.
You can use resistance bands or weights, and the amount of weight/reps is really up to you.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #26
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,348
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I just ordered p90x on Friday. I also went to Costco and bought tons of healthy high protein foods to go along with it. Ive always been a decently skinny guy but im about the fattest ive ever been for the last 6 months, I think my metabolism is finally slowing down. I eat pretty unhealthy, a lot of fast food, seven eleven, custom combos from multiple fast food places. If I cant microwave it or toast it I pick it up. I think I hit a low when I did the Taco Bell Taste Off thread. I also eat candy and chocolate pretty much all day long while at work (just gave up candy for Lent). I also drink fairly heavily. I was diagnosed with hypertension about a year or so ago.

I was running a mile or 2 a few times a day about 2 summers ago, and Ive been doing perfect pushups off and on for about 2 years now. Besides that I havent exercised in over 10 years (im 27). I was pretty athletic as a kid and played a year of high school bball and football then turned 16 and started working so I could have a car.

So basically I decided about a month to get back in shape, after a 10 year hiatus. Part of it is I want to see if I can complete the p90x just as a personal challenge, since people make it out to be so hard. Ive been doing tons of pushups and bought dumbbells for prep (powerblocks are badass). I plan on starting March 1st. I also have tried running a couple times and knocked out a mile right off the bat. My muscles feel okay, but my lungs are completely shot. Im signed up to run the Monument 10k in about a month, thatís gonna be real tough for me lung condition wise.

I will let you how it goes for me. Obviously with my history its gonna be tough, but fortunately I think im still young enough that I can take it on.

Here is the best review ive seen out there by a normal guy. He has his diet info on page 4 or so. (also I donít play video games, just came across this forum by searching p90x stuff).

My P90X Transformation -- with pictures and full review - MLG Forums
Cut out the junk, focus on eating natural non-processed foods, lots of veggies, drink a lot of water, and you'll lose a ton of weight just doing that alone. Keep us updated on how the P90x goes.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #27
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I just ordered p90x on Friday. I also went to Costco and bought tons of healthy high protein foods to go along with it. Ive always been a decently skinny guy but im about the fattest ive ever been for the last 6 months, I think my metabolism is finally slowing down. I eat pretty unhealthy, a lot of fast food, seven eleven, custom combos from multiple fast food places. If I cant microwave it or toast it I pick it up. I think I hit a low when I did the Taco Bell Taste Off thread. I also eat candy and chocolate pretty much all day long while at work (just gave up candy for Lent). I also drink fairly heavily. I was diagnosed with hypertension about a year or so ago.

I was running a mile or 2 a few times a day about 2 summers ago, and Ive been doing perfect pushups off and on for about 2 years now. Besides that I havent exercised in over 10 years (im 27). I was pretty athletic as a kid and played a year of high school bball and football then turned 16 and started working so I could have a car.

So basically I decided about a month to get back in shape, after a 10 year hiatus. Part of it is I want to see if I can complete the p90x just as a personal challenge, since people make it out to be so hard. Ive been doing tons of pushups and bought dumbbells for prep (powerblocks are badass). I plan on starting March 1st. I also have tried running a couple times and knocked out a mile right off the bat. My muscles feel okay, but my lungs are completely shot. Im signed up to run the Monument 10k in about a month, thatís gonna be real tough for me lung condition wise.


I will let you how it goes for me. Obviously with my history its gonna be tough, but fortunately I think im still young enough that I can take it on.

Here is the best review ive seen out there by a normal guy. He has his diet info on page 4 or so. (also I donít play video games, just came across this forum by searching p90x stuff).

My P90X Transformation -- with pictures and full review - MLG Forums

Diet is a tough thing to change initially for some people, but once it's a way of life and routine for you, the junk food, fast food, soda and crap won't even appeal to you any more. I have not had McDonalds for nearly 10 years. I rarely drink soda, maybe once a month eating out, but I almost always order water with a lemon in restaurants. I prefer it now, plus its free as an added bonus. Like it or not, to really get to your goals, you'll have to cut out or dramatically cut down on the alcohol. It packs weight and fat on better than anything.

I've always been a hard gainer with an insanely high metabolism. When I worked out, I would use protein powder, with a few spoon fulls of creatine (not steroids, not unsafe if used properly but don't abuse it), some oats made into powder in food processor, milk, some fruit (usually banana or strawberry) and some cinnamon or vanilla for added flavor. Some protein shakes are gross but you can add plenty of healthy things to them and can be a meal or post-workout supplement. I'd try to get mine to be high in calories (about 600+ per shake) but low in sugars and fat. I've basically been the same weight since high school and I'm age 30 now. But in that few months of intense workouts, I packed on 12 pounds of muscle. As someone else said, more meals that are smaller is the way to go, both to lose weight but also help gain muscle. Don't get discouraged (like most women do) when you start looking fatter or gaining weight in the first month or two. You have to build your muscles under the fat to burn the fat, so for a short period of time, you'll look like you're getting the opposite effects that you want, but if you stay on track and don't quit at that point, it will pay off.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #28
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Cut out the junk, focus on eating natural non-processed foods, lots of veggies, drink a lot of water, and you'll lose a ton of weight just doing that alone. Keep us updated on how the P90x goes.

Weight isnt really my issue, but i realize how important eating healthy is especially when doing something like p90x. Im definitely making changes.

I will let you all know, because i feel like if i dont tell people im doing this, or not update my friends, ill just end up quitting after a month.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #29
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You can use resistance bands or weights, and the amount of weight/reps is really up to you.
Yeah, I have been using my wife's resistance bands from her Pilates crap to start rehabbing my arm. I want something more intense, but won't put a lot of weight on my arm yet.

Maybe I could just replace any of the weight-nearing exercises with resistance bands until I can get back to weights. I'd be toning more than building, but the intensity should still allow me to get my strength back. I can literally squeeze my left arm and feel bone. No bicep at all anymore either. My right one is still in good shape though. I look like I deflated on one side.

Seriously, I had to START rehabbing by curling a can of soup and it actually hurt. With this injury/surgery, I really had to start from scratch...literally no weight.

Hopefully in another year or two I'll get back to where I was before.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #30
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,348
Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Weight isnt really my issue, but i realize how important eating healthy is especially when doing something like p90x. Im definitely making changes.

I will let you all know, because i feel like if i dont tell people im doing this, or not update my friends, ill just end up quitting after a month.
I decided to blog about it to help keep me motivated.

My Power 90 Blog
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34350 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25