Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


F... ESPN.com

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,917
Re: F... ESPN.com

I agree with the MTV comparison. ESPN has definitely compromised their core competencies to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

ESPN now = glitzy, over produced content

ESPN 5 years ago = best source of information and more quality content of interest. I'd say ESPN's current trajectory has it heading towards joke territory like MTV.

I gues guess much of the news industry is heading the same way though. This isn't confined to ESPN at all.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,615
Re: F... ESPN.com

ESPN, unlike MTV and music, is still about sports. And it's, more often than not, the first place people go to.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: F... ESPN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
They'vecut back a lot on the autostarts, particularly on the homepage. But yeah, unfortunately, you'll still get those other autostarts for at least a while because as you say times are tough.
I did notice that. The right hand column of the main page used to have an autostart that annoyed me to the point I would mute my laptop speakers before going to the site. You guys dropped that, which is nice. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I bought ESPN Insider a few years back, and it's probably the main reason I visit the site. Great stuff on Insider, especially this time of year when the combine/draft gets rolling.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,314
Re: F... ESPN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Not sure how ESPN has turned into MTV but anyway...

What's this Internet bull you're talking about
For MTV Comparison, See FRPLGs Post.

The internet bull is ESPN is only making it' ESPN360 product accessible to people who have an ISP that pays ESPN for their product. I'm my opinion this goes against everything the Internet is about. I understand if they want to charge customers for their product but they should not be extorting ISPs.

But its not ESPNs fault. They are owned by Disney and they are doing the same thing with some of their sites.
Hell, Even the NFL does it.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: F... ESPN.com

As long as ESPN has journalists like John Clayton, Buster Olney, Tim Kurkjian (who I've talked to at the gym a few times- super nice guy), Peter Gammons, and Bill Simmons, I'll continue to navigate around ads/autoplays for their content.

Jamf, I agree that the whole ISP/ESPN360 issue is annoying. I had Verizon internet a year ago at this time, and I got to watch a lot of Gator bball on the computer with 360. Now with stupid Comcast I can't.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #21
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: F... ESPN.com

It's called adblock plus and NoScript. Gets rid of all that BS.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #22
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,917
Re: F... ESPN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
ESPN, unlike MTV and music, is still about sports. And it's, more often than not, the first place people go to.
I think that's the point. If it is really is about sports then why all the junk? At some point the whiny internet crowd is not going to be just the whiny internet crowd anymore. In my opinion, and a lot of other people it seems, ESPN is headed the wrong direction.

I would argue that ESPN's focus is no longer sports. Their focus is story-telling using sports as the backdrop. They have to keep sports in the fore-front as much as they can but it is clear they consider the entertainment value of the story of the sports most important. They constantly highlight personalities and conflict. It seems very clear that ESPN "makes" stories. Not that they make them up but instead they turn what just 10 years ago would have been an afterthought into major strories. When you become the news maker and not the news teller you are on dangerous ground. Again, it really is the entire industry but ESPN, as far as sports goes is the leader in this regard.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #23
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: F... ESPN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I would argue that ESPN's focus is no longer sports. Their focus is story-telling using sports as the backdrop. They have to keep sports in the fore-front as much as they can but it is clear they consider the entertainment value of the story of the sports most important. They constantly highlight personalities and conflict. It seems very clear that ESPN "makes" stories. Not that they make them up but instead they turn what just 10 years ago would have been an afterthought into major strories. When you become the news maker and not the news teller you are on dangerous ground. Again, it really is the entire industry but ESPN, as far as sports goes is the leader in this regard.
I agree with this. It is clearly evident from shows like E:60, etc. ESPN tries to make stories compelling, overhype, etc. The thing is it may hurt their credentials with the hardcore sports fan, but for the casual fan I think it helps ESPN capture them.

IMO this is byproduct of ESPN's growth and domination of the sports world. Once the taste of success is there pursuing the goal of simply providing the best information ends and the goal of targeting different markets arises.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: F... ESPN.com

The changes to MNF and the rise of "Sunday" night football is also another example.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #25
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,615
Re: F... ESPN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think that's the point. If it is really is about sports then why all the junk? At some point the whiny internet crowd is not going to be just the whiny internet crowd anymore. In my opinion, and a lot of other people it seems, ESPN is headed the wrong direction.

I would argue that ESPN's focus is no longer sports. Their focus is story-telling using sports as the backdrop. They have to keep sports in the fore-front as much as they can but it is clear they consider the entertainment value of the story of the sports most important. They constantly highlight personalities and conflict. It seems very clear that ESPN "makes" stories. Not that they make them up but instead they turn what just 10 years ago would have been an afterthought into major strories. When you become the news maker and not the news teller you are on dangerous ground. Again, it really is the entire industry but ESPN, as far as sports goes is the leader in this regard.
The E does stand for Entertainment, but ESPN is still about sports, whether it's sports stories, sports scores, sports news, sports events, it's still about sports first and foremost
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You

Last edited by SmootSmack; 02-08-2009 at 10:44 PM.
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #26
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,615
Re: F... ESPN.com

As for ESPN360.com, a few things

-No other place can offer the live sports content (legally) that ESPN360.com can, and to do that people expect to get paid (and I'm not talking about ESPN)

-Think of it not as some internet site, but a television network that just happens to be delivered via broadband. So just like you pay Comcast to have Style Network, you pay Verizon (among others) for ESPN360.com

-When you think of all the hidden fees that Comcast, and others charge and add each month the amount their customers would have to pay for 360 is such a non-factor
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #27
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: F... ESPN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
As for ESPN360.com, a few things

-No other place can offer the live sports content (legally) that ESPN360.com can, and to do that people expect to get paid (and I'm not talking about ESPN)

-Think of it not as some internet site, but a television network that just happens to be delivered via broadband. So just like you pay Comcast to have Style Network, you pay Verizon (among others) for ESPN360.com

-When you think of all the hidden fees that Comcast, and others charge and add each month the amount their customers would have to pay for 360 is such a non-factor
It really sucks ass that I can't get ESPN360 no matter what simply because Comcast is my lame ISP.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #28
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,615
Re: F... ESPN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
It really sucks ass that I can't get ESPN360 no matter what simply because Comcast is my lame ISP.
Don't piss me off and I'll tell you how to get it anyway...

Actually, you should have gotten it by now but a deal fell apart at the last minute. You will soon enough though
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #29
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: F... ESPN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Don't piss me off and I'll tell you how to get it anyway...

Actually, you should have gotten it by now but a deal fell apart at the last minute. You will soon enough though
Awww, don't tease
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #30
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: F... ESPN.com

Not sure what the big deal is because its a free site and thats the reason they have all these comercials. They have to pay for the site and its contents without charging.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28078 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25