Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
How do you envision everyone achieving "equal footing"?
AND BTW, Schneed, you may want to seriously consider getting a.......woman
Through enlightenment? Through a disaster that wipes out 99% of the human population? F*ck if I know man, but it would be nice....then again man is a selfish and greedy animal and Cain is programed to to kill Able no matter the situation.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,714
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Through enlightenment? Through a disaster that wipes out 99% of the human population? F*ck if I know man, but it would be nice....then again man is a selfish and greedy animal and Cain is programed to to kill Able no matter the situation.
It wasn't a trick question Saden. I thought maybe you had a secret plan!
AND...Schneed, you......may be on the road to recovery. Back away from the spreadsheet!
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
As I look through the work here, the biggest thing this tells me is the per capita income by state.

New York is the most effective taxpayer, even net of federal aid, because they have such a high number of citizens earning very high salaries. Wall Street, big corporate execs, investment bankers, consultants, employees of the accounting firms, media outlets, and on and on. These same citizens are the ones who generate a great deal of income and capital gains through their securities assets - this also generates tax for the federal government. It is these high earners that are contributing the lion's share of the tax money, as a great percentage of their income is taxed at the highest tax bracket, 35% or more.

New Jersey and Connecticut also rank high on the list for this reason. Many citizens from these areas commute into New York.

You'll note similar contributions amongst Massachussets (Boston, a large financial center), Illinois (Chicago). Then note poor states who are suffering most from economic troubles, Michigan's unemployment in the Detroit area pulls it down to one of the biggest drags.

Wage index also plays a huge role here. The states at the top of the list are high wage index states. An accountant coming out of college may start at 60K in NYC, and 40K in the south. Note the presence of South Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia near the bottom of the list. Cost of living in these areas is some of the lowest around, resulting in lower wages, resulting in lower taxes paid.

Florida is indeed an anomaly because of the retirees. They don't pay taxes on the social security checks they're drawing.

It is important that people not interpret this chart, particularly the drag index, as an indicator of one state doing more than another to fund the federal budget. It is not attributable to anything the state or the citizens are doing, it is merely reflective of:

- The geography of high paying jobs - where are the lion's share located? Major cities.
- The cost of living (and as a byproduct, wage index) of each state.

Unless you're a believer in a flat tax, one should expect New York to contribute more taxes on a per capita basis than any other state, simply because they make so much money. And it should be no surprise that California pays more than most states in taxes. They have way more people than most states and plenty of urban centers with high paying jobs, not to mention a booming tourism industry.

Saden, a very valuable analysis would be to add mean household income by state to the report, and then calculate (Gross Tax Paid - Federal Aid Received) / (Population x Mean Household Income). This would show you the percent of income paid to the federal government, net of aid. I'd postulate that you'll see a much more even distribution amongst the states.

Median data is available from the census and is preferred due to the fact that it's not sensitive to extremes like mean. Also, I don't understand the formula you gave. Can you clarify?
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 13,111
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

What if the congress had just taken the approx. 800Billion, and given every person over 16 (approx 240 million in 2008) 3333 dollars, not tax cuts, not spending programs, just a flat 3333 dollars. That would have been interesting. Some it would have been a windfall, some would have repaid loans, some would have invested, and still others would not have noticed that amount. but it all would surely have been a stimulus.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 13,111
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

no exec pay capping either although they would have laughed at getting 3333.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #21
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 41
Posts: 5,301
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
That would have been way too easy but then there would be no strings attached to the money and would not make any voters dependent on goverment programs (vote buying).
Exactly. The last thing government wants to do is make the people independent of it.

Even if you did give every poor person $50,000 or a million, they would eventually wind up the same way they were before.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #22
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,618
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Median data is available from the census and is preferred due to the fact that it's not sensitive to extremes like mean. Also, I don't understand the formula you gave. Can you clarify?
The reason I chose mean was to get the math to work out right. Median represents the midpoint household income, but the mean reflects the skew caused by the extremely high earners. My whole point here is that contributions by state are indeed skewed by these high earners. It is those high earners that carry the New Yorks and Connecticuts into very high positions on the drag index. By including that skew in the formula by using mean, you'll see an even distribution amongst the states.

In terms of the math, do the following:

A) Add a column on the end labeled Gross Tax Net of Aid. The formula here is Gross Tax Contribution minus Federal Aid Received. This tells you what the state pays in to the Federal Government after netting out the aid they receive.

B) Add a second column at the end labeled Gross Income. The math is your population number times a Mean Household Income. (I suppose if it's easier to find GDP by state than Mean Household Income, you can use that instead of doing this part of the formula).

C) Add a third column labeled Ratio of Contribution to Income. For the calculation, divide the result of step A by the result of step B.

You'll see that the results of C show very similar %s from state to state. NY will still be a bit higher than the others, but it's a more meaningful stat, because it shows what % of their income is being turned over to Uncle Sam.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #23
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,618
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
What if the congress had just taken the approx. 800Billion, and given every person over 16 (approx 240 million in 2008) 3333 dollars, not tax cuts, not spending programs, just a flat 3333 dollars. That would have been interesting. Some it would have been a windfall, some would have repaid loans, some would have invested, and still others would not have noticed that amount. but it all would surely have been a stimulus.
From an economic standpoint, the democratic argument is that too many people would save it. Which doesn't help give the immediate shot in the arm for creating jobs. To an extent they're right.

Consumer confidence is really low right now, which is always an indicator that people are afraid to spend money. They instead save it.

But eventually that money would trickle back into the economy and give us the economic boost. Some argue that doing it your way would be more efficient in the long run, and I think they're probably right. But it wouldn't get the immediate results democrats are looking for.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #24
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,618
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well I'm not sure what part of the stimulas bill will hit the economey very fast with the bill passed. Heck 40% of it will not be spent until 3 years from now and another large portion does not really do much more then grow goverment. The actual building of schools, roads, etc.. is like only 10% of the entire bill but if your on welfair now don't worry more money is heading your way.
Well a significant portion of the bill comes in the form of tax credits. We'll see those when we file our tax returns next winter.

Also, what people fail to understand is that if you give people on welfare more money, they WILL spend it and spend it immediately. Forget whether you think that's fair or not, that's not the point, the point is the money gets spent, businesses do better as a result, and more jobs get created.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #25
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 13,111
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Well a significant portion of the bill comes in the form of tax credits. We'll see those when we file our tax returns next winter.

Also, what people fail to understand is that if you give people on welfare more money, they WILL spend it and spend it immediately. Forget whether you think that's fair or not, that's not the point, the point is the money gets spent, businesses do better as a result, and more jobs get created.
So, how many people are on welfare, and if they were given 3333, wouldn't that add up to quite a chunk of money going straight into the economy.

Also, a lot in the middle class would probably clear up any past due credits (I guarantee that's where mine would go) which would restore credit worthiness immediately (especially if followed with some sort of credit amnesty for a limited time period).

Finally, a lot of the savings would probably go into the stock market. It sure seems like a win win, i mean who would vote against the politician that could say" I put 3333 dollars in your pocket"
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #26
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Exactly. The last thing government wants to do is make the people independent of it.

Even if you did give every poor person $50,000 or a million, they would eventually wind up the same way they were before.
I disagree, I know several people who would rather be free of debt and live comfortably instead of trying to keep up with the Jones's. I was one of them. My wife and I live very modestly off of our salaries. We may not be rich, nor have the latest and greatest of cars or gizmo's, but we can afford to do just about anything we want at any time because we do not owe alot money. We do not spend it just because we have it either. At one time in my life I lived check to check. I swore that if I ever got out of that mess, I would never do it again. I am not the only one out there who feels that way.

If the governmet would have given every adult 50K, then the majority would have become debt free... save their mortgages and they woud have had the financial freedom to spend money outside of past debt. In other words the majority could have obtained almost complete financial freedom. The spending that would have resulted from that would have eventually boosted the economy. Instead we gave the money to banks and corporations for them to sit their happy asses on, pay out large bonuses to CEO's, and layoff employees in order to make their bottom line look better. We always do things ass backwards in the U.S.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #27
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,508
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

For some reason, I can't help but think of the old "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and he feeds himself for a lifetime".

I think the "idea" however non-functioning it is and will be is to create/preserve jobs, not handout money.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #28
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Look at what happened during the Depression. There was the first “new deal” and the “second new deal”. The whole lets not give handouts was the thought by the government then too.

What happened? During the First new Deal they tried giving Tax cuts to the large corporations hoping that it would boost the economy and enable them to provide new jobs along with other things. Did it? No, because if it had worked there wouldn't have been a second new deal. In the second New Deal they attacked the problem at its source...The people.

The Government set up special works projects etc. so that "it wasn't a handout" but in the end they were still fighting the depression along with getting some other things taken care of. In fact 95% of our highway system was built during the depression and funded by the Government.

So you do not want to give out handouts...fine, Don't give handouts to corporations either. Lets fund a whole bunch of special projects to better the infrastructure. One particular project that comes to my mind is New Orleans. It needs to be rebuilt badly. How about, we rebuild it so well that it never has to worry about being flooded again? If man can make an Island that floats out in Southwest Asia, then we can use the same technology to float the infrastructure of New Orleans during floods and hurricanes. Think about it. That is a large project that would require a lot of workers and it isn't a handout.

But my thinking is, if you are going to give a handout, which our government did; then give it to the people not to the corporations. History has already taught us twice now that it doesn't work that way.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 02-13-2009 at 12:28 PM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #29
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,512
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Look at what happened during the Depression. There was the first “new deal” and the “second new deal”. The whole lets not give handouts was the thought by the government then too.

What happened? During the First new Deal they tried giving Tax cuts to the large corporations hoping that it would boost the economy and enable them to provide new jobs along with other things. Did it? No, because if it had worked there wouldn't have been a second new deal. In the second New Deal they attacked the problem at its source...The people.

The Government set up special works projects etc. so that "it wasn't a handout" but in the end they were still fighting the depression along with getting some other things taken care of. In fact 95% of our highway system was built during the depression and funded by the Government.

So you do not want to give out handouts...fine, Don't give handouts to corporations either. Lets fund a whole bunch of special projects to better the infrastructure. One particular project that comes to my mind is New Orleans. It needs to be rebuilt badly. How about, we rebuild it so well that it never has to worry about being flooded again? If man gan make an Island that floats out in Southwest Asia, then we can use the same technology to float the infrastructure of New Orleans during floods and hurricanes. Think about it. That is a large project that would require a lot of workers and it isn't a handout.

But my thinking is, if you are going to give a handout, which our government did; then give it to the people not to the corporations. History has already taught us twice now that it doesn't work that way.
I agree 110%.

It's sort of like building a team in the NFL. You've gotta build from the ground up and focus on the trenches.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #30
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Sir your history is off it was WWII that pulled us out of the depression.
Last time I checked making ammunition and weapons for the military was a special works project.

Edit: And this time War helped pull us into a depression.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 02-13-2009 at 10:17 AM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.41374 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25