Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #31
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Well a significant portion of the bill comes in the form of tax credits. We'll see those when we file our tax returns next winter.

Also, what people fail to understand is that if you give people on welfare more money, they WILL spend it and spend it immediately. Forget whether you think that's fair or not, that's not the point, the point is the money gets spent, businesses do better as a result, and more jobs get created.
So the people who sit back and do nothing get my/our money to spend as they want while we support them even more. You say we will get a tax credit but I have not read anything explaining who will receive this tax credit.
firstdown is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #32
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Exactly. The last thing government wants to do is make the people independent of it.

Even if you did give every poor person $50,000 or a million, they would eventually wind up the same way they were before.
I disagree, I know several people who would rather be free of debt and live comfortably instead of trying to keep up with the Jones's. I was one of them. My wife and I live very modestly off of our salaries. We may not be rich, nor have the latest and greatest of cars or gizmo's, but we can afford to do just about anything we want at any time because we do not owe alot money. We do not spend it just because we have it either. At one time in my life I lived check to check. I swore that if I ever got out of that mess, I would never do it again. I am not the only one out there who feels that way.

If the governmet would have given every adult 50K, then the majority would have become debt free... save their mortgages and they woud have had the financial freedom to spend money outside of past debt. In other words the majority could have obtained almost complete financial freedom. The spending that would have resulted from that would have eventually boosted the economy. Instead we gave the money to banks and corporations for them to sit their happy asses on, pay out large bonuses to CEO's, and layoff employees in order to make their bottom line look better. We always do things ass backwards in the U.S.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #33
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

For some reason, I can't help but think of the old "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and he feeds himself for a lifetime".

I think the "idea" however non-functioning it is and will be is to create/preserve jobs, not handout money.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #34
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Look at what happened during the Depression. There was the first “new deal” and the “second new deal”. The whole lets not give handouts was the thought by the government then too.

What happened? During the First new Deal they tried giving Tax cuts to the large corporations hoping that it would boost the economy and enable them to provide new jobs along with other things. Did it? No, because if it had worked there wouldn't have been a second new deal. In the second New Deal they attacked the problem at its source...The people.

The Government set up special works projects etc. so that "it wasn't a handout" but in the end they were still fighting the depression along with getting some other things taken care of. In fact 95% of our highway system was built during the depression and funded by the Government.

So you do not want to give out handouts...fine, Don't give handouts to corporations either. Lets fund a whole bunch of special projects to better the infrastructure. One particular project that comes to my mind is New Orleans. It needs to be rebuilt badly. How about, we rebuild it so well that it never has to worry about being flooded again? If man can make an Island that floats out in Southwest Asia, then we can use the same technology to float the infrastructure of New Orleans during floods and hurricanes. Think about it. That is a large project that would require a lot of workers and it isn't a handout.

But my thinking is, if you are going to give a handout, which our government did; then give it to the people not to the corporations. History has already taught us twice now that it doesn't work that way.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 02-13-2009 at 12:28 PM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #35
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
I disagree, I know several people who would rather be free of debt and live comfortably instead of trying to keep up with the Jones's. I was one of them. My wife and I live very modestly off of our salaries. We may not be rich, nor have the latest and greatest of cars or gizmo's, but we can afford to do just about anything we want at any time because we do not owe alot money. We do not spend it just because we have it either. At one time in my life I lived check to check. I swore that if I ever got out of that mess, I would never do it again. I am not the only one out there who feels that way.

If the governmet would have given every adult 50K, then the majority would have become debt free... save their mortgages and they woud have had the financial freedom to spend money outside of past debt. In other words the majority could have obtained almost complete financial freedom. The spending that would have resulted from that would have eventually boosted the economy. Instead we gave the money to banks and corporations for them to sit their happy asses on, pay out large bonuses to CEO's, and layoff employees in order to make their bottom line look better. We always do things ass backwards in the U.S.
You might be that way but I see it everyday that people spend and spend on things they do not need or can not afford. If the goverment did hand out that kind of money some people would do the right thing and either put the money away or would buy stuff they did not have to have. When the housing market was going crazy I wondered how people could afford the house they purchased. You can blame the banks for some of that but the bulk of the blame goes to the people who still decided to purchase the home. I saw person after person buying home and used a 2nd mortgage to finance the down payment. People got greedy and want more home then they could afford. They got these interest only loans instead of saving the money they saved on their mortgage tp pay down the priciple in 5 years they purchased other things like cars. So now when the 5 year interest only thing ran out the money they saved was tied up in othe dept so then they had a problem. Thus here we are today.
firstdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #36
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,834
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Look at what happened during the Depression. There was the first “new deal” and the “second new deal”. The whole lets not give handouts was the thought by the government then too.

What happened? During the First new Deal they tried giving Tax cuts to the large corporations hoping that it would boost the economy and enable them to provide new jobs along with other things. Did it? No, because if it had worked there wouldn't have been a second new deal. In the second New Deal they attacked the problem at its source...The people.

The Government set up special works projects etc. so that "it wasn't a handout" but in the end they were still fighting the depression along with getting some other things taken care of. In fact 95% of our highway system was built during the depression and funded by the Government.

So you do not want to give out handouts...fine, Don't give handouts to corporations either. Lets fund a whole bunch of special projects to better the infrastructure. One particular project that comes to my mind is New Orleans. It needs to be rebuilt badly. How about, we rebuild it so well that it never has to worry about being flooded again? If man gan make an Island that floats out in Southwest Asia, then we can use the same technology to float the infrastructure of New Orleans during floods and hurricanes. Think about it. That is a large project that would require a lot of workers and it isn't a handout.

But my thinking is, if you are going to give a handout, which our government did; then give it to the people not to the corporations. History has already taught us twice now that it doesn't work that way.
I agree 110%.

It's sort of like building a team in the NFL. You've gotta build from the ground up and focus on the trenches.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #37
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Look at what happened during the Depression. There was the first “new deal” and the “second new deal”. The whole lets not give handouts was the thought by the government then too.

What happened? During the First new Deal they tried giving Tax cuts to the large corporations hoping that it would boost the economy and enable them to provide new jobs along with other things. Did it? No, because if it had worked there wouldn't have been a second new deal. In the second New Deal they attacked the problem at its source...The people.

The Government set up special works projects etc. so that "it wasn't a handout" but in the end they were still fighting the depression along with getting some other things taken care of. In fact 95% of our highway system was built during the depression and funded by the Government.

So you do not want to give out handouts...fine, Don't give handouts to corporations either. Lets fund a whole bunch of special projects to better the infrastructure. One particular project that comes to my mind is New Orleans. It needs to be rebuilt badly. How about, we rebuild it so well that it never has to worry about being flooded again? If man gan make an Island that floats out in Southwest Asia, then we can use the same technology to float the infrastructure of New Orleans during floods and hurricanes. Think about it. That is a large project that would require a lot of workers and it isn't a handout.

But my thinking is, if you are going to give a handout, which our government did; then give it to the people not to the corporations. History has already taught us twice now that it doesn't work that way.
Sir your history is off it was WWII that pulled us out of the depression.
firstdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #38
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Sir your history is off it was WWII that pulled us out of the depression.
Last time I checked making ammunition and weapons for the military was a special works project.

Edit: And this time War helped pull us into a depression.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 02-13-2009 at 10:17 AM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #39
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Look at what happened during the Depression. There was the first “new deal” and the “second new deal”. The whole lets not give handouts was the thought by the government then too.

What happened? During the First new Deal they tried giving Tax cuts to the large corporations hoping that it would boost the economy and enable them to provide new jobs along with other things. Did it? No, because if it had worked there wouldn't have been a second new deal. In the second New Deal they attacked the problem at its source...The people.

The Government set up special works projects etc. so that "it wasn't a handout" but in the end they were still fighting the depression along with getting some other things taken care of. In fact 95% of our highway system was built during the depression and funded by the Government.

So you do not want to give out handouts...fine, Don't give handouts to corporations either. Lets fund a whole bunch of special projects to better the infrastructure. One particular project that comes to my mind is New Orleans. It needs to be rebuilt badly. How about, we rebuild it so well that it never has to worry about being flooded again? If man gan make an Island that floats out in Southwest Asia, then we can use the same technology to float the infrastructure of New Orleans during floods and hurricanes. Think about it. That is a large project that would require a lot of workers and it isn't a handout.

But my thinking is, if you are going to give a handout, which our government did; then give it to the people not to the corporations. History has already taught us twice now that it doesn't work that way.
You picked New Orleans as your example? Wow poor choice. That is a fine example of how the federal goverment waist money. If the money was just giving to the people we would have done a better job then all the waist that started with the federal goverment down to the cities in NO. So now you want to tear down the city put it on some giant float and then rebuild the city on this floating island. I think Obama needs to up the stimulas to 6 billion to float that project.

Last edited by firstdown; 02-13-2009 at 10:38 AM.
firstdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #40
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Last time I checked making ammunition and weapons for the military was a special works project.

Edit: And this time War helped pull us into a depression.
I agree with the first part but I have not heard anyone saying that the current war pulled us into this current mess. My whole point is that this stimulas does not spend but about 10% into actual jobs like building roads and schools.
firstdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #41
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,926
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Pfff, if you have medical bills I'm inclined to understand your plight but the rest of the people in debt are in debt out of their own accord. People who want to be debt free will have no problem borrowing money to buy that gizmo and get right back into debt. I mean, you have billionaires with debt! Instant gratification is human nature. There's also levels of debt...auto, home, and credit cards. Home debt you can't really do much about, auto and cc you can.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #42
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You picked New Orleans as your example? Wow poor choice. That is a fine example of how the federal goverment waist money. If the money was just giving to the people we would have done a better job then all the waist that started withe federal goverment down to the cities in NO. So now you want to tear down the city bput it on some giant float and then rebuild the city on this floating island. I think Obama needs to up the stimulas to 6 billion to float that project.

The city is already destroyed. They can employ workers from outside the state as well. You would not need to float every square inch of land. Only Roads, buildings, houses, and utilities. Its a thought not a save all. What have you come up with Mr. Critic?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #43
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
The city is already destroyed. They can employ workers from outside the state as well. You would not need to float every square inch of land. Only Roads, buildings, houses, and utilities. Its a thought not a save all. What have you come up with Mr. Critic?
How about have Obama sign the bill to allow off shore drilling which is safe and in our state would create 1,200 to 2,000 jobs and cost the goverment very little. Use the tax money raised off of the off shore drilling to fund reserch for alternative fuels.

Hey not a bad post for #6000
firstdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #44
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

As far as the overall econmy for the nation goes, New Orleans is one of the few places that's doing pretty good.

There were jobs needed, so entrepeneurs and skilled workers loaded up the truck and they headed to New Orleans.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #45
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Comparative Federal Tax Contribution by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I agree with the first part but I have not heard anyone saying that the current war pulled us into this current mess. My whole point is that this stimulas does not spend but about 10% into actual jobs like building roads and schools.
How much money are we spending per month in Iraq? That is money the Government is not spending here.

As with the second part I agree that more spending should be focused on actual jobs.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33873 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25