Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

I thought this was an interesting article and everytime they extend unemployment I think there are alot of people who are happy just to stay at home a little longer. I know not everyone thinks like this but it seems to be a growing movement and some people are not even trying to find a job. Just thought it was an interesting subject.

For now, laid off and loving it - The Boston Globe
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

Everytime I say I'm going to sit on my ass after lossing a job it doesn't happen. After the second week I'm bored out of my mind. There's plenty of time for rest in the grave.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,740
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

The comments at the end of the article make this link.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

first, are you related to Ann Coulter?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

I have no issue with this. The article references hard working, family oriented folks who were responsible enough to accumulate savings to live off of, and are re-focusing on family and personal growth for a little while. Ask any of them, and I'm sure they'd say they would rather have solid employment right now. Nothing wrong with making the best out of a shitty situation.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,316
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I have no issue with this. The article references hard working, family oriented folks who were responsible enough to accumulate savings to live off of, and are re-focusing on family and personal growth for a little while. Ask any of them, and I'm sure they'd say they would rather have solid employment right now. Nothing wrong with making the best out of a shitty situation.
If they were just living off savings alone, that would be one thing. But they're collecting unemployment checks while they "reconnect with their hobbies." Get a fuggin job! If you want to stay home because you enjoy it, fine, but don't make me pay for it through my taxes. That's the kneejerk argument.

Now, the reality of this article is life sucks for these people who are laid off. They may smile, put on a happy face, and look on the bright side by telling you "hey, this is great, I get to stay home with my kids!" But even if they have plenty of savings, truth be told, they'd rather be working. And that's why they're looking for employment. This article paints an artificially sunny view of their situations.

It's just rather uncool to come out in an article and say "look at me, I'm having fun while I collect your tax dollars through the unemployment program!"
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

You're right, Schneed, no one is happy or fully content with being unemployed. That's what your retirement years are for. Well, at least that's what they used to be for. I'm sure even that has been extended by a few years the deeper we get into this recession.

But to each his own. I think, when things do recover, there will be a bottleneck, so to speak, within the job market. All the unemploy folks will then be looking for work again, but they'll be chasing a limited number of job opportunities/openings. I would rather try to land something now, if it's available, rather than compete with three or four guys/girls with an MBA but who may not be as qualified. No offense to anyone out there with an MBA, by the way.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
first, are you related to Ann Coulter?
What because I found this article interesting and was surprised how people talk about how they love to stay home while collecting unemployment off our tax dollars. At least act like your looking for a job and don't do an interview to brag how your taking our tax money while sitting on your a$$. One of my best friends has lost three jobs in two years and everyday he feels its his job to get up get dressed and go out looking for a new job. I don't mind if these people want to stay home but don't expect me to pay taxes to suport you.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

everyone, including you, pays taxes that go into the unemployment compensation fund. essentially, you are collecting money that you have deposited. while i agree with you about sitting on your ass, when is the last time you looked at the want ads? or applied for a job? the market is rail-thin. our want ads used to be between 10- 15 pages of jobs, from all venues. now its roughly 2 and a half pages. dominated by the medical field. times are tough. my best friend is going on 5 months without work. he looks every day. there is just not that much available
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If they were just living off savings alone, that would be one thing. But they're collecting unemployment checks while they "reconnect with their hobbies." Get a fuggin job! If you want to stay home because you enjoy it, fine, but don't make me pay for it through my taxes. That's the kneejerk argument.

Now, the reality of this article is life sucks for these people who are laid off. They may smile, put on a happy face, and look on the bright side by telling you "hey, this is great, I get to stay home with my kids!" But even if they have plenty of savings, truth be told, they'd rather be working. And that's why they're looking for employment. This article paints an artificially sunny view of their situations.

It's just rather uncool to come out in an article and say "look at me, I'm having fun while I collect your tax dollars through the unemployment program!"
I get what you're saying. I guess my stance falls somewhere in between your opinion and the article.

These people didn't ask to get laid off. Our unemployment system was obviously put in place to help those who get laid off, but I don't think it should be abused. It's not like you can just keep collecting checks indefinitely. I have no issue with these people using a government program for it's intended purpose, but if they are intentionally putting off looking for work solely becuase they can ride the taxpayers' gravy train... well I have an issue with that.

Like we both said, they'd rather be working. But if they got laid off from a career they've had for years, and want to use a few weeks to take a deep breath and reset before diving back into a shitty job market... well, I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
everyone, including you, pays taxes that go into the unemployment compensation fund. essentially, you are collecting money that you have deposited. while i agree with you about sitting on your ass, when is the last time you looked at the want ads? or applied for a job? the market is rail-thin. our want ads used to be between 10- 15 pages of jobs, from all venues. now its roughly 2 and a half pages. dominated by the medical field. times are tough. my best friend is going on 5 months without work. he looks every day. there is just not that much available
I fully understand the situation and the lack of jobs its the fact these people said they are not even looking for a job. If I'm correct only the employer pays the unemployment tax so your not collecting funds you deposited.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,316
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I get what you're saying. I guess my stance falls somewhere in between your opinion and the article.

These people didn't ask to get laid off. Our unemployment system was obviously put in place to help those who get laid off, but I don't think it should be abused. It's not like you can just keep collecting checks indefinitely. I have no issue with these people using a government program for it's intended purpose, but if they are intentionally putting off looking for work solely becuase they can ride the taxpayers' gravy train... well I have an issue with that.

Like we both said, they'd rather be working. But if they got laid off from a career they've had for years, and want to use a few weeks to take a deep breath and reset before diving back into a shitty job market... well, I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.
I think you probably misread me. My opinion is an exact match to yours.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,316
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
everyone, including you, pays taxes that go into the unemployment compensation fund. essentially, you are collecting money that you have deposited. while i agree with you about sitting on your ass, when is the last time you looked at the want ads? or applied for a job? the market is rail-thin. our want ads used to be between 10- 15 pages of jobs, from all venues. now its roughly 2 and a half pages. dominated by the medical field. times are tough. my best friend is going on 5 months without work. he looks every day. there is just not that much available
I don't think anybody is arguing against the unemployment program, I think people are just saying it sucks an awful lot to come out and say "hey I'm having a fun time" while collecting unemployment dollars.

We don't want to hear about people looking at the bright side and enjoying things. We want to hear how they're working their ass off to find a job.

They may be working their ass off, and most probably are. But don't tell me you're "reconnecting with your hobbies" while you're home. I don't want to hear that because it just pisses me off.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
Special Teams
 
Miller101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 362
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
everyone, including you, pays taxes that go into the unemployment compensation fund. essentially, you are collecting money that you have deposited. while i agree with you about sitting on your ass, when is the last time you looked at the want ads? or applied for a job? the market is rail-thin. our want ads used to be between 10- 15 pages of jobs, from all venues. now its roughly 2 and a half pages. dominated by the medical field. times are tough. my best friend is going on 5 months without work. he looks every day. there is just not that much available
I hear you dmek..............my job sucks and I've been looking for a new job for about three months now. I haven't been able to find anything either! It makes me feel sorry for those that ARE unemployed. Poor darn bastards! At least they have their unemployment checks and some money to get by until companies start hiring again.
__________________
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: How Many People Are Not Even Looking For Work

So let me get this straight. The issue is that these people aren't moping enough?
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30732 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25