Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Government buys $1T of securities

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 28
Posts: 8,606
Government buys $1T of securities

Wow

Fed to buy up to $300B long-term Treasury bonds: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

Quantitative Easing.



All credit goes to 70Chip.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

I assume you think this is a logical decision Saden. I give up. It's not like it matters really, not to mention that it's illegal. That doesn't matter either. If you can't pick where you're going to go you might as well enjoy the ride.

Seriously, I work for a bank and we lend all day long. We have so many good loans that our underwritting department is backed up for about a month. We're understaffed and no one is in any danger of losing their jobs. I had to turn down a million dollar loan today for a condo in New York City. It wasn't good enough.

It isn't our fault that too many backs thought that SISA 3/1 ARM IO Non-owner vacation property with piggy backs were good loans to make to any Tom, Dick, and Harry that came off the street.

But hey, life is short and this is only business. So f it. I'm waiting for this guy to start running the Fed or Treasury.

Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 44
Posts: 3,048
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

My favorite scene is this one. Sellers as the Adlai Stevensonesque Merkin Muffly:



So perfect. "Listen...If it wasn't friendly ...you probably wouldn't have even got it."
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I assume you think this is a logical decision Saden. I give up. It's not like it matters really, not to mention that it's illegal. That doesn't matter either. If you can't pick where you're going to go you might as well enjoy the ride.

Seriously, I work for a bank and we lend all day long. We have so many good loans that our underwritting department is backed up for about a month. We're understaffed and no one is in any danger of losing their jobs. I had to turn down a million dollar loan today for a condo in New York City. It wasn't good enough.

It isn't our fault that too many backs thought that SISA 3/1 ARM IO Non-owner vacation property with piggy backs were good loans to make to any Tom, Dick, and Harry that came off the street.

But hey, life is short and this is only business. So f it. I'm waiting for this guy to start running the Fed or Treasury.

You know what really bothers me? The fact that you work for a bank and you don't appreciate the scope of the problem. You cite working at a bank as a virtue but in the context of your views it really isn't.

  1. Quantitative easing is a well know monetary tool. In your world it's always bad, in my world it can be good or bad depending on situation and how it is used.
  2. You fail to appreciate the catch-22 situation we're in. All of this is not being done in jest, it's so we don't lose more jobs and business. In my world no easing means inability to lend money, inability to lend money results in more business tightening thier belts, more belt tightening means more layoffs, higher unemployment means higher default.
  3. Can your bank handle 20% of its customers losing their jobs? For how long? Tell you what, we can even do the math but if I had to guess it wouldn't without a bailout. In my world I realize that it's not just about giving good loans, it's how employed we are.
  4. The only reason why your bank is in business is because it's backed by the Full Faith and Credit of the United States Government. Period. In my world I am cognizant that your bank didn't pay any FDIC insurance premium between 1996-2006 and was therefore sucking on taxpayer tit.
  5. My world doesn't consist of living in a cave pretending government inaction will yield positive results. I will defer to economists who don't think statistics are useless.
  6. Finally, my world is not based on superficial knowledge of what America is and has always been, and how and why it got to where it is today.

Last edited by saden1; 03-19-2009 at 10:38 AM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 44
Posts: 3,048
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

Bernanke seems convinced he knows what he's doing. I hope so because he's printing money like a 3rd world dictator on crystal meth. There are possible downsides. Inflation, hyper-inflation, stagnation, stagflation, deflation, lack of job creation, depreciation, investment cessation, stock-market gyrations, an influx of Haitians, trouble at the United Nations, exploitation, signing bonus pro-rations, rotting foundations, strange combinations, unholy federations, bad vibrations, widespread starvation, 70Chip's sedation, spiraling taxation, increasing privation, a 4 man rotation, increasing lactation fascination, bankrupt corporations, sexual frustrations at the lack of penetrations or poor lubrications, god damnation, artificial insemination, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, and institutionalization.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

Our current problem is a liquidity trap and deflation. I very much doubt a ~15 trillion GDP economy with ~2.7 trillion in receipts and ~100% debt to GDP ratio will suffer inflation as easily as some would have you believe. Sure, it's possible but there would have be serious negligence and gross miscalculation for that to happen (i.e. we print a multiplier of our national debt).

p.s. What monetary tool do you think the government uses to combat inflation? If you guessed tighten money supply you would be correct.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 27
Posts: 15,994
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
Bernanke seems convinced he knows what he's doing. I hope so because he's printing money like a 3rd world dictator on crystal meth. There are possible downsides. Inflation, hyper-inflation, stagnation, stagflation, deflation, lack of job creation, depreciation, investment cessation, stock-market gyrations, an influx of Haitians, trouble at the United Nations, exploitation, signing bonus pro-rations, rotting foundations, strange combinations, unholy federations, bad vibrations, widespread starvation, 70Chip's sedation, spiraling taxation, increasing privation, a 4 man rotation, increasing lactation fascination, bankrupt corporations, sexual frustrations at the lack of penetrations or poor lubrications, god damnation, artificial insemination, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, and institutionalization.
I happen to be supportive of a 4-man rotation.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The reason my bank is in business is because they did not go out and loan money to everyone who asked for a loan. Thats called ggod business and if the goverment stayed out of the loan process from the get go we not be in this mess like we are now. Its a fact that some people should just rent because they either do not pay their bills or they cannot afford the cost of a home. In just the past two weeks I called my bank and got two loans because I have good credit and pay my bills.
Good business is worthless in the face of high unemployment. Look around, good companies are hurting even though they've made sound decisions. In a depression many who have good credit and pay their bills will end-up with bad credit and unable to pay their bills.

Last edited by saden1; 03-19-2009 at 10:40 AM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
"serious negligence and gross miscalculation " How about bailout money and AIG

Economists disappointed with Obama, Geithner - BloggingStocks

In your world any bailout is serious negligence and gross miscalculation so I am not entirely sure you're in a position to do any serious analysis. AIG got bailed out for cause and if I was a betting man I would bet your insurance business uses their service up the chain.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #11
The Starter
 
steveo395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,674
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I don't have a problem with goverment bailouts but blindly giving them money is a hugh problem. I bet if you asked Obama or congress to tell us what was done with just a 1/10 of the money they could not answer the question any better then saying it went to AIG, Chevy, Ford etc... How the money is getting used and how it will be paid back is my concern. Not sure about your last statement.
Just like the AIG bonuses. Congress could have put it in the bill that they weren't allowed to give bonuses, but they purposely left that out of there, and now they are acting like they knew nothing about it. They are acting like they are innocent bystanders while the people on wall street are evil for honoring their contracts. The government is going to save us from something they let happen in the first place.
__________________

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

[*]Quantitative easing is a well know monetary tool. In your world it's always bad, in my world it can be good or bad depending on situation and how it is used.[*]You fail to appreciate the catch-22 situation we're in. All of this is not being done in jest, it's so we don't lose more jobs and business. In my world no easing means inability to lend money, inability to lend money results in more business tightening thier belts, more belt tightening means more layoffs, higher unemployment means higher default.[*]Can your bank handle 20% of its customers losing their jobs? For how long? Tell you what, we can even do the math but if I had to guess it wouldn't without a bailout. In my world I realize that it's not just about giving good loans, it's how employed we are.[*]The only reason why your bank is in business is because it's backed by the Full Faith and Credit of the United States Government. Period. In my world I am cognizant that your bank didn't pay any FDIC insurance premium between 1996-2006 and was therefore sucking on taxpayer tit.[*]My world doesn't consist of living in a cave pretending government inaction will yield positive results. I will defer to economists who don't think statistics are useless.[*]Finally, my world is not based on superficial knowledge of what America is and has always been, and how and why it got to where it is today.[/LIST][/QUOTE]

1) NIV was a well known tool too, but that didn't work very well either. I can't worry about everyone else's world. It's hard enough taking care of my own.

2) You don't think this is funny? If your world can't exist without a bailout I'm sorry. Naught Naughty Saden! Speak for yourself and use less "we" statements. We, as in my neighbors and myself will do just fine with or without full employment for a long long long time. I wish you and your own the same good fortune that "we" enjoy.

3) My bank is doing just fine. In fact we're understaffed and there is plenty of overtime, mandatory and voluntary, for everyone. I can't speak for my bank's customers. That is just too broad of a canvas to paint. I'm not on the board of directors so I can't say what kind of insurance we have. You can bet your bottom dollar it's not Llyods of London.

4) I refuse to believe in the dire situation that you paint. You see I'm tired of living in fear. When ole Bush said that Iraq was a threat I didn't believe it but I assumed that Bush and his CIA daddy had some insider stuff. BS. When he said that our economy would collapse if we didn't throw some money at AIG and all of these other "Too Big to Fail" companies I didn't believe that either. BS. Now that Obama is saying the exact same thing as Bush, I don't believe that either. BS. Fear is a nasty thing that I can do without.

5) My bank exists because it does good business, just like every other capitalist enterprise in the world. Period. In fact we didn't take any of the bailout money, nor did Ford and a lot of other businesses. We ate a lot of bad paper from the "good times", but our shareholders (AKA: employees) ate that, not the American taxpayer. If we go under so be it.

6) Ah yes, you must be referring to the "Masters of the Universe" that got themselves into this mess. Now those are the people that I'd give my money too. He he he

7) I cannot speak for all of America, only my little slice. My family has been living on it before there was an America, and probably still will be once this whole thing is forgotten and a distant memory. There is still a Rome and it's still full of Italians.

You seem really upset Saden. I guess your not making as much money as you're used to. I feel for you, no sh*t. There's nothing that I can do to stop any of this. This isn't in my hands. I'd love to have this little spat on the deck of my yacht in the Keys but we will not any time soon.

You can say that I'm a cave dweller just because my way of thinking is different and the way I do business is foreign to you, but that doesn't help your argument. It'll be alright though. My people will get along like we always do with or without this farce that you place so much faith in.

You think that things will get better because your man is in there, fine. There's no difference between the two in my eyes. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss . . . . or so the song goes. You can get upset if you want to. You're not going to change my mind and I'm not here to convince anyone of my point of view or to prove a point. I've learned my lesson on that one. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride and laugh at the people who blow their cool.

If they throw a war, I'll not go. If they throw a depression, well I'll skip that too. Revolution? Let me know who wins. Now when they throw a party let me know. I'll be there. Until then, there is the Washington MOFO Redskins babe, oh yeah!!!!

Happy Friday Everyone! Job or no job, everyday above ground is a good day!
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

  1. What is this NIV thing you speak of? Is it a medical probing device of sort?
  2. Unlike you I am inclusive, but if you don't want to be part of the "we" I am more than willing to kick you to the curb with a smile and don't think I am above taking your money in the process either. Also, let's cut the pretenses, you don't care about my fortunes. Save the sugar for the Mrs, it might come in handy if you happen to get a pink slip.
  3. Did you just say "my bank is doing just fine," "I can't speak for my bank's customers," and "I am not on the board of directors" in the same paragraph? Perhaps you should know more about your customers and ask management how the bank is doing before saying "my bank is doing just fine?" I say this because Enron was doing just fine too. This might come to you as a shock but during the great depression roughly 40% of the banks failed and those who survived got a hand from team FDR.
  4. Believe what you want, you obviously seem to do fairly well in that regard. I don't paint, I like to appreciate pictures of a naked economy. My favorite models are Model A, Model B, and Model C. NWS.
  5. Your bank exists because taxpayers have its back. With all its "good-business-nes" all it would takes for it to collapse is mass defaults of say 20% and precipitous withdrawal of funds by apprehensive customers. I wouldn't worry if you go under though, the FDIC will come in, clean you up for sale, and you will probably still have a job. I mean, when you're at the club no one got your back like Uncle Sam son.
  6. I am sure you could make a better Master of the Universe. You're going to have to earn it though...so far you've been up a few times and you've only managed to hit foul balls.
  7. One can argue that you can survive if you purposefully cutoff half of your limbs. Still, I find apotemnophilia disturbing.

Don't confuse being appalled with being upset. It is very difficult to phase me. While I have lost a lot of money in the market I'm really happy with the abundance of stocks on sale. I was just looking at purchasing a few shares of Berkshire Hathaway B which is on deep discount (you can't beat 0.86 P/E and 3,224.16 EPS). I'm still employed with the same company and while the economy has cramped our style a bit we're still as pure profit of a company as you can get. If I happen to lose my job I'm good to go.

Let's see here, a) your way of thinking isn't foreign to me, I just don't think it is sensible, b) I don't know if things will get better, I hope they do because being on a sinking ship hampers my swagger, c) if Obama succeeds hooray, if he fails we fail (without you and yours of course). I voted for Obama, I'm not his indentured servant, d) lastly, I have no intention of changing your mind, I already know that lock can't be picked. I probably have better chance looting Fort Knox.


It can't be denied, Hailing to the Redskins brings people together.

Good night and good .
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

I could tell you lost money. I'd be in a foul mood too.

Let's not pretend, I admit I'm not a financial guru. My degree is in another field. These things that you speak of make no sense to me. They're easy to understand but for the life of me I don't see why any capitalist would place faith in them. It doesn't take a genius to understand what they're doing and why they're doing it. Since I've no control over the decisions of the Federal government there's no point in me worrying about them.

NIV is a no income verification loan. It's one of the bastard step children of the SISA, stated income stated assets family. We used to carry those because of Fannie and Freddy's guidelines. Those bit us in the A**. Even though I'm not on the board of directors that doesn't mean that I don't review the contracts that come across my desk. I see where some of our customers work, how much debt to income they have, and what their FICO scores are. We're solid in the three divisions of business that I work in.

He he he, don't be mad Saden. I really do hope you make a lot of money. You're right. I don't give a damn about anyone except my friends and family, but that doesn't mean I go through life pissing on everyone. I mean damn! Look at it this way. Some of the gals at work pass out these catalogues to buy cookies for their kid's school projects. They get nothing from me. Now if one of their kids was in the hospital I'd shell out what I could. There is a time and place for everything.

Lighten up a little and step out of the parking lot every once in awhile. I don't see you posting in any of the other threads.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Government buys $1T of securities

Clearly Paul Krugman is taking his cues from me. I should sue him for something.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37133 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25