Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #61
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,335
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

I'm off to Ecuador this upcoming Friday, will be there for a week. I haven't visited since 2005.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #62
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

So, thinking I may want to take a trip down to NC this summer. But is Nags Head part of Outer Banks, or vice-versa or neither? And if I'm looking for a fairly quiet beach down around there....where should I go?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #63
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,761
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So, thinking I may want to take a trip down to NC this summer. But is Nags Head part of Outer Banks, or vice-versa or neither? And if I'm looking for a fairly quiet beach down around there....where should I go?
I think Firstdown is your man for that question. I have been there once; it was a little to quiet for me. My family generally goes to Ocean City/Bethany Beach/ Rehoboth Beach...
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #64
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,117
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So, thinking I may want to take a trip down to NC this summer. But is Nags Head part of Outer Banks, or vice-versa or neither? And if I'm looking for a fairly quiet beach down around there....where should I go?
Yes, Nags Head is part of OBX and right beside a major tourism spot of Kill Devil Hills. It's going to be quieter than KH or KDH, that much is for sure.

nags head nc - Google Maps


I know some friends that have been to places like Duck, NC and had a great time(if you want quiet). It's more low key than Kitty Hawk or Kill Devil Hills.

duck, nc - Google Maps
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 05-14-2012 at 10:05 AM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #65
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,227
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

SS -- I'm a big fan of the Corolla area of the OBX if you want a quiet spot. No beach will be super quiet in the peak of summer. I love beach trips in early September -- kids are back in school but the weather and water are still warm.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #66
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,367
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So, thinking I may want to take a trip down to NC this summer. But is Nags Head part of Outer Banks, or vice-versa or neither? And if I'm looking for a fairly quiet beach down around there....where should I go?
If you never been SS, Outer Banks is like 2 long skinny islands without the commercialization of typical vacation beach spots. No boardwalk, no cheezy t-shirt shops, no Snookies. The first island, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Manteo area, are where you will find the most people, lots of rental houses, spots to eat, shops etc. U also have Duck which is the north point of the island...a little more private but your gonna be surrounded by Duke grads, now doctors, and their vacation homes. Im personally not a fan. Ive heard farther up in Corrella its better, but never been.

If you continue going down the island you will cross over to Hatteras Island which is noticably more private, skinny island with miles of beach where you can just turn off the road and find no one around. At the bottom of that island is Cape Hatteras, Buxton, and Frisco, which is great but the misquitoes this year down there are gonna be brutal. Heard that from a source last weekend. Off Hatteras is a little island call Ocracoke Island (or as dad mispronauces "Oreocake")which you have to ferry to, but is amazing. It is a must day visit just to walk the small bay and chill. So is the Hatteras area in general, just a cool area.

Im gonna direct you to Avon NC. Middle of Hatteras Island with a good number of options of food, rental houses and small number of shops and not overly crowded. Its a good balance and very private.

If your still looking for more private, Rodanthe is where my parents have there spot, but its no stop lights and you can drive through it in about 2 mins. Less people, less options, no grocery store and less things to do other than the beach which I wouldnt suggest if your first time or even 2nd time down.

So id look at Avon or very southern Nags Head (city).
__________________
Fire Haz, Hire Wade
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #67
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Great advice. Thanks!
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #68
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,761
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
If you never been SS, Outer Banks is like 2 long skinny islands without the commercialization of typical vacation beach spots. No boardwalk, no cheezy t-shirt shops, no Snookies. The first island, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Manteo area, are where you will find the most people, lots of rental houses, spots to eat, shops etc. U also have Duck which is the north point of the island...a little more private but your gonna be surrounded by Duke grads, now doctors, and their vacation homes. Im personally not a fan. Ive heard farther up in Corrella its better, but never been.

If you continue going down the island you will cross over to Hatteras Island which is noticably more private, skinny island with miles of beach where you can just turn off the road and find no one around. At the bottom of that island is Cape Hatteras, Buxton, and Frisco, which is great but the misquitoes this year down there are gonna be brutal. Heard that from a source last weekend. Off Hatteras is a little island call Ocracoke Island (or as dad mispronauces "Oreocake")which you have to ferry to, but is amazing. It is a must day visit just to walk the small bay and chill. So is the Hatteras area in general, just a cool area.

Im gonna direct you to Avon NC. Middle of Hatteras Island with a good number of options of food, rental houses and small number of shops and not overly crowded. Its a good balance and very private.

If your still looking for more private, Rodanthe is where my parents have there spot, but its no stop lights and you can drive through it in about 2 mins. Less people, less options, no grocery store and less things to do other than the beach which I wouldnt suggest if your first time or even 2nd time down.

So id look at Avon or very southern Nags Head (city).
Oh good you just remind me of one of the worst movies my wife dragged me to on a date night!
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #69
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,367
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Oh good you just remind me of one of the worst movies my wife dragged me to on a date night!
yeah, the house is there in Rodanthe where it was filmed and people can rent it out, they actually had to move it several years ago after a storm took down 2 houses on each side of it. Didnt see the movie but that writer is from the outer banks
__________________
Fire Haz, Hire Wade
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #70
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,761
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
yeah, the house is there in Rodanthe where it was filmed and people can rent it out, they actually had to move it several years ago after a storm took down 2 houses on each side of it. Didnt see the movie but that writer is from the outer banks
Really? Because in the movie it seriously looks like it is CGIed in there. It is a cool house.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #71
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
If you never been SS, Outer Banks is like 2 long skinny islands without the commercialization of typical vacation beach spots. No boardwalk, no cheezy t-shirt shops, no Snookies. The first island, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Manteo area, are where you will find the most people, lots of rental houses, spots to eat, shops etc. U also have Duck which is the north point of the island...a little more private but your gonna be surrounded by Duke grads, now doctors, and their vacation homes. Im personally not a fan. Ive heard farther up in Corrella its better, but never been.

If you continue going down the island you will cross over to Hatteras Island which is noticably more private, skinny island with miles of beach where you can just turn off the road and find no one around. At the bottom of that island is Cape Hatteras, Buxton, and Frisco, which is great but the misquitoes this year down there are gonna be brutal. Heard that from a source last weekend. Off Hatteras is a little island call Ocracoke Island (or as dad mispronauces "Oreocake")which you have to ferry to, but is amazing. It is a must day visit just to walk the small bay and chill. So is the Hatteras area in general, just a cool area.

Im gonna direct you to Avon NC. Middle of Hatteras Island with a good number of options of food, rental houses and small number of shops and not overly crowded. Its a good balance and very private.

If your still looking for more private, Rodanthe is where my parents have there spot, but its no stop lights and you can drive through it in about 2 mins. Less people, less options, no grocery store and less things to do other than the beach which I wouldnt suggest if your first time or even 2nd time down.

So id look at Avon or very southern Nags Head (city).
This all very good info. Our place is in Kill Devil Hills across from the Wright Brother Memorial. Not as private as it once was its still a great area for vacation if you want to just kick back. As Chico said its mostly cottage/home rentals but you do have plenty of motels up and down the beach. If your looking to eat out for lunch and dinner I stay in a motel and get a room on the ocean. On the first island of Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, and Nags Head you will not have the misquitoe problems. If we still rented out our cottage I'd offer it up but the family made the decision a few years back to no longer rent. If you have any questions just ask between the two of us we should know the answer.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #72
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

What about the beaches near Charleston, SC
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #73
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,848
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

So,

In the Wow How late can you plan department. I have to come up with plans for my 12yo daughter and 13 yo son over the summer. The last few years they have come to work with me, and stayed upstairs, with various activities and day things to work around it for them and me. This year I found out that that won't work. Now I got nothing for them to do, and they can't stay home alone all day for a couple different reasons. Anyone got any saviour type tips to help me come up with a plan?

I have about three weeks to get something in place.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #74
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,367
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What about the beaches near Charleston, SC
Ive never been but family and friends have and ive heard the city is unbelievably awesome. I think you kinda have to travel a lil out of the city for the beach area. South of there is Hylton Head which Ive heard is pretty nice. North is Myrtle Beach where ive been too alot which is nice, but not what your looking for in terms of privacy. I want to go to Charleston badly, cant beat "old south" cities.
__________________
Fire Haz, Hire Wade
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #75
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,761
Re: Summer Vacation Plans and Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What about the beaches near Charleston, SC

Hilton Head is great and IMO nice then the outer banks. It is almost tropical; palm trees crystal blue warm water. Plenty of things to do outside of just the beach like golf, restaurants, shopping, tennis, fishing, etc...It cost a lot more $$$ then outer banks though.


I lived on Hilton Head for a year, what a year what a great year.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34322 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25