Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Life After People (History Channel)

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #31
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,859
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
So why exactly would it frighten you?
It doesn't seem obvious to you? It's because I'm not a sociopath.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #32
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
It doesn't seem obvious to you? It's because I'm not a sociopath.
LOL.
Just curious really. Some people have different views. I don't really see the point in worrying about something that isn't going to happen for thousands of years, if not millions. Even if reincarnation is what happens after death, we have PLENTY of time to not worry about that. The sun is eventually going to expand and explode and engulf the earth too, but that will be long after us.
So what is it exactly about all this that frightens you? It's an honest question.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,085
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

I don't think saden sits around wringing his hands over it, it's just a scary thought to think of the world coming to an end.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #34
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I don't think saden sits around wringing his hands over it, it's just a scary thought to think of the world coming to an end.
Everything comes to an end though. I understand your point though. My world is going to end far before the entire world ends, so would it not make more sense to be concerned about your own demise that WILL actually happen in your lifetime?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #35
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,859
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I don't think saden sits around wringing his hands over it, it's just a scary thought to think of the world coming to an end.

Thank you.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #37
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,480
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Because it is out of my hand the thought of our end shouldn't frighten me? Really? That's how you're going to play it? What a pointless conversation this has turned out to be.
Yes, it has, but from the other view, you still haven't explained why it should frighten you? Are you frightened by the knowledge that while you are sleeping, a man in some other part of the world will die? I am not, although I would say sad might fit, if I were to find out. And I would say that thinking about the end of the world saddens me but not scares me.
As for your sociopath comment, I am not one either, and yet I never once have feared about the end of the world. Not due to a religious belief, but because, I personally gain nothing from that fear. And interestingly, you imply that someone who sees life that way a sociopath, while I make no implication about a person with a different view. I don't understand your fear anymore than you understand my lack of fear. I accept your view as a reasonable human reaction, I would think you could afford me the same courtesy.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:56 AM   #38
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,859
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Yes, it has, but from the other view, you still haven't explained why it should frighten you? Are you frightened by the knowledge that while you are sleeping, a man in some other part of the world will die? I am not, although I would say sad might fit, if I were to find out. And I would say that thinking about the end of the world saddens me but not scares me.
As for your sociopath comment, I am not one either, and yet I never once have feared about the end of the world. Not due to a religious belief, but because, I personally gain nothing from that fear. And interestingly, you imply that someone who sees life that way a sociopath, while I make no implication about a person with a different view. I don't understand your fear anymore than you understand my lack of fear. I accept your view as a reasonable human reaction, I would think you could afford me the same courtesy.
Suppose I tell you that 90% of Americans will die of a mutated swine flu a month from now. Would this new found knowledge frighten you? My hearth aches at the thought and I can't help it. This is a normal and expected reaction. Indifference which is essential your position is not acceptable. If we all die off tomorrow, a month, a year, millions of years, or billions of years from now it's all the same. The grim demise of mankind and even the universe at large should be a frighting prospect irrespective of timetable or and lack of control.

Does this all make sense?
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #39
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,626
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I hear what you're saying.

The thought of the world ending, no matter if we're here or not is freaky.

Sort of like the thought of being dead some day. Yeah it's out of our hands and it will happen to everyone, but it still freaks me out when I think about it sometimes.
I agree with both of you. Kudos to those who aren't scared I guess, but I'm not one of them.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #40
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,480
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Suppose I tell you that 90% of Americans will die of a mutated swine flu a month from now. Would this new found knowledge frighten you? My hearth aches at the thought and I can't help it. This is a normal and expected reaction. Indifference which is essential your position is not acceptable. If we all die off tomorrow, a month, a year, millions of years, or billions of years from now it's all the same. The grim demise of mankind and even the universe at large should be a frighting prospect irrespective of timetable or and lack of control.

Does this all make sense?
You know, we will have to disagree. If a mutated virus started causing the type of mass extinction, yes I would be afraid - once it was occurring. But the concept of a virus mutating when no sign of it occurring, is irrational. To say that it is the same if we all die tomorrow or billions of years from now, to me, is irrational. I cannot fathom your position, seriously, I have enough things which are in this world now, that cause "legitimate" fear and enough belief in man's spirit, that I could never see myself being scared of a future event that may but most likely will not occur in my children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's lives (31 generations, approx 1800 years).
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #41
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Suppose I tell you that 90% of Americans will die of a mutated swine flu a month from now. Would this new found knowledge frighten you? My hearth aches at the thought and I can't help it. This is a normal and expected reaction. Indifference which is essential your position is not acceptable. If we all die off tomorrow, a month, a year, millions of years, or billions of years from now it's all the same. The grim demise of mankind and even the universe at large should be a frighting prospect irrespective of timetable or and lack of control.

Does this all make sense?
Indifference is perfectly acceptable. This delusion of yours that you can somehow control the fate of the universe is rooted in your alienation from God. The abolition of physical man or physical nature is only tragic in a universe that has mankind at the very center. You're heirarchy is all out of kilter so you worry too much about things that are not your responsibility and over which you ultimately have no control anyway.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #42
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,859
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
Indifference is perfectly acceptable. This delusion of yours that you can somehow control the fate of the universe is rooted in your alienation from God. The abolition of physical man or physical nature is only tragic in a universe that has mankind at the very center. You're heirarchy is all out of kilter so you worry too much about things that are not your responsibility and over which you ultimately have no control anyway.

Excuse me? I am afraid this not an illness that afflicts the godless. Go do a personal survey without using a loaded question and you'll have the answer. Perhaps you're emotionally retarded? Check yourself dude, apathy is caused by mental illness.


p.s. Control is not in play.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #43
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,859
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
You know, we will have to disagree. If a mutated virus started causing the type of mass extinction, yes I would be afraid - once it was occurring. But the concept of a virus mutating when no sign of it occurring, is irrational. To say that it is the same if we all die tomorrow or billions of years from now, to me, is irrational. I cannot fathom your position, seriously, I have enough things which are in this world now, that cause "legitimate" fear and enough belief in man's spirit, that I could never see myself being scared of a future event that may but most likely will not occur in my children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children's lives (31 generations, approx 1800 years).

I know you don't understand but hope you would at least respond with "damn, it would suck hard if 90% of us die in a month."
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #44
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,530
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I know you don't understand but hope you would at least respond with "damn, it would suck hard if 90% of us die in a month."
Implicit in CRedskins earlier statement that it would sadden him if he found out that an unknown man died is that he would agree with the sentiment "it would suck if 90% of the people died in a month". However, and as he stated earlier, refusing to fear that event or worry about it is not a failure to grasp its magnitude.

It causes you pause, fine we get that. Fair enough. Do you get that, even though it causes us pause, the unknown future is not something I will spend a moment on as the here and now present more than enough challenges.

By the way, apathy is not caused by mental illness. I'd find a link to prove it, but I just don't feel like it right now.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #45
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,859
Re: Life After People (History Channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Implicit in CRedskins earlier statement that it would sadden him if he found out that an unknown man died is that he would agree with the sentiment "it would suck if 90% of the people died in a month". However, and as he stated earlier, refusing to fear that event or worry about it is not a failure to grasp its magnitude.

It causes you pause, fine we get that. Fair enough. Do you get that, even though it causes us pause, the unknown future is not something I will spend a moment on as the here and now present more than enough challenges.

By the way, apathy is not caused by mental illness. I find a link to prove it, but I just don't feel like it right now.
Kudos to CRedskins for at least feeling sad. Are my post not clear enough as to my position from the get go?

Acedia used to be a deadly sin until it was merged into sloth. You know what's really sad? Christians advancing apathy as a virtue.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 04-30-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: To let the Christians know "what it, what it do."
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33824 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25