Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

My friend came up with an insane sports pool that lasts the entire duration of the sporting season. It starts is mid-April with the Masters and ends with the Super Bowl in February. Hence it's name, The Augusta Super Bowl.

Check out the write up that they did on fearthefan.com about it:
Fear The Fan Dot Com

My friend went through previous years and handicapped these prop bets himself. For example here is one of them:

You have to pick either A or B:
Prop #17 A. The number of strikeouts Adam Dunn (Washington Nationals outfielder) has in the regular season games in the month of June.
Vs.
B. The total number of points scored in the first 8 minutes of each of the first 3 Monday night football games in the month of October.


If you are a gambling man let me know what you think about this.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,984
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

I think it is genius. And I think it is a degenerate's dream.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,053
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Entire duration of the sporting season is mid-April to Feb? I could have sworn March Madness happens in March.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #4
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Yeah was kinda wondering about March Madness as well.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Well most of the sporting season anyway. : )

I never thought of that. I'm going to ask him why he doesn't start it earlier and include that tourney.

Maybe because the Madness Super Bowl doesn't sound as good.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

As a gambler this makes no sense. Most bets are made on the point spread from the outcome of game or match, not the points scored in a small amount of time. It sounds similar but it's really not, at least when my money is concerned. The spread favors the dealer or book maker but it isn't impossible. A spread that's in a good newspaper or from a respected Vegas book maker is usually split even.

If you want to say that a given team will make these amount of points against another team that's one thing. To guess how many points will be scored in a short amount of time, (eight minutes) is just stupid. I could see betting on a quarter or a round for some people but I wouldn't take it. No self-respecting gambler would take it and no smart bookie would offer it. Outlandish stuff exist but then again so do people who like to throw away money.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
As a gambler this makes no sense. Most bets are made on the point spread from the outcome of game or match, not the points scored in a small amount of time. It sounds similar but it's really not, at least when my money is concerned. The spread favors the dealer or book maker but it isn't impossible. A spread that's in a good newspaper or from a respected Vegas book maker is usually split even.

If you want to say that a given team will make these amount of points against another team that's one thing. To guess how many points will be scored in a short amount of time, (eight minutes) is just stupid. I could see betting on a quarter or a round for some people but I wouldn't take it. No self-respecting gambler would take it and no smart bookie would offer it. Outlandish stuff exist but then again so do people who like to throw away money.
Yeah, I can see that.

I have a hard time with any bets in any sport outside the sport of football, especially baseball because I depise the game. So the props where you have to project intracacies like foul balls and such just don't appeal to me.

My boy is a stat lover though so he's in stat heaven when he puts this together every year. Also the stakes are small so it's nothing too serious.

It's pretty much something that gives a wide group of guys something to talk about and compete against throughout the sporting season. It is an intriguing prop format though.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,053
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Yeah, I can see that.

I have a hard time with any bets in any sport outside the sport of football, especially baseball because I depise the game. So the props where you have to project intracacies like foul balls and such just don't appeal to me.

My boy is a stat lover though so he's in stat heaven when he puts this together every year. Also the stakes are small so it's nothing too serious.

It's pretty much something that gives a wide group of guys something to talk about and compete against throughout the sporting season. It is an intriguing prop format though.
You know, you're an alright guy in my book.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You know, you're an alright guy in my book.
Nice...a fellow baseball hater. How's it going?

Hating baseball is kind of like motorcycle owners who pass eachother on the road and give a slight wave. : )


You know I was thinking of starting a website for the dissolution of major league baseball, calling it DMLB. I would gather members and have them send daily letters to the commisioner demanding that they shut down their operations because it's an atrocity to watch or follow...personally playing is ok, but only if you're really bored.

I'd have a top ten list of Best Things About Baseball on that site:

Number 1 - Steriods
Number 2 - No Salary Cap
Number 3 - Pete Rose

: )
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,984
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
As a gambler this makes no sense. Most bets are made on the point spread from the outcome of game or match, not the points scored in a small amount of time. It sounds similar but it's really not, at least when my money is concerned. The spread favors the dealer or book maker but it isn't impossible. A spread that's in a good newspaper or from a respected Vegas book maker is usually split even.

If you want to say that a given team will make these amount of points against another team that's one thing. To guess how many points will be scored in a short amount of time, (eight minutes) is just stupid. I could see betting on a quarter or a round for some people but I wouldn't take it. No self-respecting gambler would take it and no smart bookie would offer it. Outlandish stuff exist but then again so do people who like to throw away money.
It's called a prop bet and lots of people do prop bets.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,053
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Nice...a fellow baseball hater. How's it going?

Hating baseball is kind of like motorcycle owners who pass eachother on the road and give a slight wave. : )


You know I was thinking of starting a website for the dissolution of major league baseball, calling it DMLB. I would gather members and have them send daily letters to the commisioner demanding that they shut down their operations because it's an atrocity to watch or follow...personally playing is ok, but only if you're really bored.

I'd have a top ten list of Best Things About Baseball on that site:

Number 1 - Steriods
Number 2 - No Salary Cap
Number 3 - Pete Rose

: )

I hear baseball and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I always wondered if I was the only one. It would be awesome if you started a website for us baseball haters. You should seriously do it. I'll most definitely be your signatory.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Here are all 50 prop bets. Listen to how intricate some of them are.
Fear The Fan dot com

Some of these just turn me crosseyed after I read them.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
It's called a prop bet and lots of people do prop bets.
That's why there are 12 step meetings for gamblers as well as drunks. Anyone who bets on how many strikes a pitcher will throw in eight minutes, or on how many TDs a quarterback will throw in a quarter is a bookie's wet dream. I had forgotten how greedy they can be.

I would like to go on record and say that Baseball stinks. It has to be the most boring sport ever. At least NASCAR has wrecks.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Sorry. My good friend is "The Ron" and fearthefan did another article update on his Augusta Super Bowl. They detail three of the most recently played props and put up a loser leaderboard.

Probably not that interesting if you don't play in it but fearthefan is talking about hosting one with a start date in June. Anyway, check it out if you're interested...or have a severe gambling problem. : )

Fear The Fan Dot Com
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: My Friend's Insane Sports Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I hear baseball and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I always wondered if I was the only one. It would be awesome if you started a website for us baseball haters. You should seriously do it. I'll most definitely be your signatory.
Saden, I love it when we can find common ground! Baseball would be ok if the season were say... 1 game. More than that and I cry! I can't stand it. It needs to lose all claims to America's anything. Except maybe America's past.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28969 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25