Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


5 Ala. officers fired for beating caught on tape

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #46
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: 5 Ala. officers fired for beating caught on tape

Couple things here, it goes without saying that the work police officers do is good stuff. They put themselves on the line daily with low pay for our welfare. Props to them for sure. A good number of them are also good cops as well.

Still, these are just a few documented cases of police abuse and brutality. Cops abuse their powers all the freaking time. Everyone knows and has experiences where cops have done that, and I fully agree just because someone has a badge does not mean they are great people. They do a great job but they can still be dicks.

And many of us would like to think not, but cops get a rush out of their job. Power has to do with this. And no offense to cops out there, but a good amount of our HS douches became cops(similar to the common belief) and these guys haven't changed just now they have a badge that validates their douchiness.

Would I trust a cop in a life or death situation? Sure, but not because I think they are all great people but because it is their job to help us out.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #47
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: 5 Ala. officers fired for beating caught on tape

Missin 21...you are mistaken my comments for assuming that EVERY OFFICER that EVER LIVED was the best person on the planet. Of course some are rotten.
You have a bias against them, I do not.

In your case, he clearly felt you were too close to him, and in his mind, you were. You probably were considering your distain for the law, but I will take you at face value, even though I am guessing that was a poor excuse that you couldn't get over...it's dark out and those lights are bright from quite a distant buddy. Look at it from HIS PERSPECTIVE (I know, something you won't or can not do, but go with me), it's 3:15 IN THE MORNING, and you probably buzzed way too close to him. Not thinking you had no room, he assumed you didn't care about his well being (which we all know from your comments has to be pretty true at this point). So, if you were in his shoes, and someone zoomed past you at 3:15am and knowing the law about emergency vehicles, how would you feel?

Still, can't tell me you couldn't have slowed down, or sped up and created room at 3:15am. Come on man. That's a tough pill to swallow.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #48
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: 5 Ala. officers fired for beating caught on tape

Missin 21...I sincerely hope that you do not encounter any more issues with the law. Please keep in mind my comments of what happened to my buddy was not meant to say you said those things, just showing the negative reponse vs the positive response, and that was from my experiences.
Good luck, I wish you well. (honestly) I hope you can get over your bias eventually.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #49
Special Teams
 
Missin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Leesburg, Va
Posts: 173
Re: 5 Ala. officers fired for beating caught on tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Missin 21...I sincerely hope that you do not encounter any more issues with the law. Please keep in mind my comments of what happened to my buddy was not meant to say you said those things, just showing the negative reponse vs the positive response, and that was from my experiences.
Good luck, I wish you well. (honestly) I hope you can get over your bias eventually.


Ya know, I have had a couple of experiences with some decent police officers. My most recent experience with a cop was a decent one, so... Sometimes I spout off, because I have seen some really disturbing things done by cops...& it irritates/scares me. I am an intense person & sometimes that is realized in my posts. I don't really mean to come off like a complete asshole...but sometimes, I am one, so...that's ok, as I think everyone is entitled every once in a while.

I know that there are good cops out there...decent men & women who are doing the right thing & upholding the law. It's just the bad ones are deeper then some of us suspect, & the good ones are not as "in our face" as the bad ones.

There IS a need for them, otherwise, there would be complete anarchy & the only people who want that are anarchists, & I'm quite sure they don't quite understand the full meaning or consequences of that. I certainly don't want that. But I also don't want to be a victim of police violence one day either.


Then again, suicide by cop may not be a bad way to go, as long as they shoot me & not beat me to death.
__________________
16-0, 0-16, I'm still standing here screaming F*** THE COWBOYS!!!

Always remember the 5th of November...blocked kick, Sean Taylor, 22-19...pandemonium!
Missin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #50
Special Teams
 
Missin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Leesburg, Va
Posts: 173
Re: 5 Ala. officers fired for beating caught on tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Still, can't tell me you couldn't have slowed down, or sped up and created room at 3:15am. Come on man. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Alright. I understand what you are saying & how you see it & even how he may have seen it. I did actually did slow down a little. That is to say that I took my foot off the pedal as I was getting ready to pass him & as I passed him & was prepared to make adjustments. Like I said, I was on my way to work, so I was awake & alert. There really was little I could do, IMHO.

I worked at UPS for over 3 years & every single night, I was saw drunks on the road. They were always out there. Especially coming off of 495 onto 66...that exit can be murder at 3 in the am because people are drunk & not paying attention to other cars on the road. So, when I say there was little I could do IMHO, I didn't really know what else I could do. I didn't want the person behind me, who may have been drunk, not to notice my taillights or brake lights & slam into me. I didn't want to speed up, because I was already doing the speed limit & speeding up, I assumed, would give him a reason to pull me. Also, if something did happen, speeding up left less wiggle room for errors on my part. And, as you mentioned, it was 3am & dark. There are areas of 50 along there that are not lit up. I don't have the greatest eyesight at night & wasn't sure if he was in a lane or on a shoulder where this never would have come up.

So, tho I understand that he could have felt like I was just zooming by without any regard for his life, let me ask you this. What about the lives that HE endangered by jumping in & out of the 3 other cars to pull me when we were all going the same speed? I realize that I was in front, but it seems to me that he allowed his emotions to take over & not realize that I did not have reasonable room to do anything other then what I was doing. He did ask me how fast I was going, so I can see your point. I just ask you to see mine as well.

The other thing is, I could tell that he was a prick because of all the cases that were called before me. The girl right before me gave him "The Eye" while the judge was trying to figure out what exactly was going on with her case. That look told me that he had been a prick to her too. The woman before her barely spoke English, but there was definitely a sense of the same thing with her too. Body language & the way she didn't understand (not THAT she didn't understand, but the WAY she didn't understand) told me that this particular cop has an attitude problem & maybe he shouldn't be behind a badge or for that matter, carrying a gun.
__________________
16-0, 0-16, I'm still standing here screaming F*** THE COWBOYS!!!

Always remember the 5th of November...blocked kick, Sean Taylor, 22-19...pandemonium!
Missin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #51
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: 5 Ala. officers fired for beating caught on tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Orakpo View Post
The guy was ejected from his car and is on the ground unconscious and these cops start beating on him? Those cops are just straight up cowards and deserved to be canned.

I respect cops and I even live next to a cop so I have no problem with the police. I do have problems though with cops assaulting a unconscious man.
I agree they should have waited until he gaind consciuosness then beat him down. What good deos it do when he does not get to feel each blow delivered. This country is becoming a bunch of whossies (spelling) and I'm so sick of hearin about this moral high ground we must take.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #52
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: 5 Ala. officers fired for beating caught on tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missin21 View Post
Ya know, I have had a couple of experiences with some decent police officers. My most recent experience with a cop was a decent one, so... Sometimes I spout off, because I have seen some really disturbing things done by cops...& it irritates/scares me. I am an intense person & sometimes that is realized in my posts. I don't really mean to come off like a complete asshole...but sometimes, I am one, so...that's ok, as I think everyone is entitled every once in a while.

I know that there are good cops out there...decent men & women who are doing the right thing & upholding the law. It's just the bad ones are deeper then some of us suspect, & the good ones are not as "in our face" as the bad ones.

There IS a need for them, otherwise, there would be complete anarchy & the only people who want that are anarchists, & I'm quite sure they don't quite understand the full meaning or consequences of that. I certainly don't want that. But I also don't want to be a victim of police violence one day either.


Then again, suicide by cop may not be a bad way to go, as long as they shoot me & not beat me to death.
Fair enough...well said.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #53
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: 5 Ala. officers fired for beating caught on tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missin21 View Post
Alright. I understand what you are saying & how you see it & even how he may have seen it. I did actually did slow down a little. That is to say that I took my foot off the pedal as I was getting ready to pass him & as I passed him & was prepared to make adjustments. Like I said, I was on my way to work, so I was awake & alert. There really was little I could do, IMHO.

I worked at UPS for over 3 years & every single night, I was saw drunks on the road. They were always out there. Especially coming off of 495 onto 66...that exit can be murder at 3 in the am because people are drunk & not paying attention to other cars on the road. So, when I say there was little I could do IMHO, I didn't really know what else I could do. I didn't want the person behind me, who may have been drunk, not to notice my taillights or brake lights & slam into me. I didn't want to speed up, because I was already doing the speed limit & speeding up, I assumed, would give him a reason to pull me. Also, if something did happen, speeding up left less wiggle room for errors on my part. And, as you mentioned, it was 3am & dark. There are areas of 50 along there that are not lit up. I don't have the greatest eyesight at night & wasn't sure if he was in a lane or on a shoulder where this never would have come up.

So, tho I understand that he could have felt like I was just zooming by without any regard for his life, let me ask you this. What about the lives that HE endangered by jumping in & out of the 3 other cars to pull me when we were all going the same speed? I realize that I was in front, but it seems to me that he allowed his emotions to take over & not realize that I did not have reasonable room to do anything other then what I was doing. He did ask me how fast I was going, so I can see your point. I just ask you to see mine as well.

The other thing is, I could tell that he was a prick because of all the cases that were called before me. The girl right before me gave him "The Eye" while the judge was trying to figure out what exactly was going on with her case. That look told me that he had been a prick to her too. The woman before her barely spoke English, but there was definitely a sense of the same thing with her too. Body language & the way she didn't understand (not THAT she didn't understand, but the WAY she didn't understand) told me that this particular cop has an attitude problem & maybe he shouldn't be behind a badge or for that matter, carrying a gun.
Sounds like he could be on a bit of a power trip, I do get your point.

I urge you to read the secret, or at least watch the video. It suggests that what you think / say you attract. I tend to believe this, so if you think / say you have had all these encounters with the police and your general demeanor is negative towards them, then you will attract those officers instead of the good ones. Next time, I hope you get a pleasant officer that will let you off with a warning and wish you well!
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.24313 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25