Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #91
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post
Finally! I can agree with a republican about something! I can't believe it!

But, how can your party be the way to go when it has a Disc Jockey leading it?
First off it was the White house that started taking on Rush and their attempt to make him the spokes person of the party. He is not. Like Chenney or not I have the feeling that history will show he did what needed to be done after 9/11 like it or not. Sometimes someone has to do the dirty work.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #92
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
The folks who wrote the case study don't really matter. He was prosecuted with 19 counts of violating the law and was found not guilty on all 19 counts.
From the point of law absolutely correct.

However, the statistics mentioned from the Kansas Dept. of Health should be considered in the context of your earlier post of situations a) and b). The issue raised by the person who wrote the case study that Tiller was performing at least 50% of his late-term abortions on viable fetuses (babies) where there the mother's life was not in danger appears to be borne out in the statistics.

What isn't shown (I'm sure by design) is whether the reason for the abortion to "Prevent substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function" was a physical or mental health issue. If the case study is true, that Tiller was using "mental health" issues as justification for the late term abortions, while not illegal, his actions are much morally worse than if he was legitimately trying to save women's lives or aborting unviable fetuses.

KDHE Center for Health and Environmental Statistics
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #93
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
There are only 3 late term abortion clinics in the entire nation, without him there are only 2.
I do believe this in itself says a lot. Late-term abortions, in any situation, are highly controversial at best, downright illegal at worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The rape thing is a very poor choice as I'm sure most victims find out very quickly if they are not prenant and don't need to wait until their third trimester to have an abortion.
I generally agree with this. Those who take the position that abortion is justified by rape occurrences really can't act 5-6 months isn't enough time to make a difficult decision. Obviously, a situation that provides life-threatening health risks to the mother is way murkier.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #94
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I do believe this in itself says a lot. Late-term abortions, in any situation, are highly controversial at best, downright illegal at worst.

I generally agree with this. Those who take the position that abortion is justified by rape occurrences really can't act 5-6 months isn't enough time to make a difficult decision. Obviously, a situation that provides life-threatening health risks to the mother is way murkier.
I agree that abortion should be provided in rape cases just in the first trimester or something like that. I'm pretty neutral on the whole abortion thing until it comes to the late term stuff then it starts to turn my stomach.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #95
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
From the point of law absolutely correct.

However, the statistics mentioned from the Kansas Dept. of Health should be considered in the context of your earlier post of situations a) and b). The issue raised by the person who wrote the case study that Tiller was performing at least 50% of his late-term abortions on viable fetuses (babies) where there the mother's life was not in danger appears to be borne out in the statistics.

What isn't shown (I'm sure by design) is whether the reason for the abortion to "Prevent substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function" was a physical or mental health issue. If the case study is true, that Tiller was using "mental health" issues as justification for the late term abortions, while not illegal, his actions are much morally worse than if he was legitimately trying to save women's lives or aborting unviable fetuses.

KDHE Center for Health and Environmental Statistics
What you're saying is that mental illness isn't a valid reason to abort viable fetus. I find this take ridicules knowing that mental illness is as much of a serious illness as physical illness if not worse. Like postpartumt depression antepartum depression is no joke. Often the chemical imbalance (can be categorized as physical illness too) brought about by pregnancy is so sever that abortion is the most logical course of action less you want depression to go untreated (not a good idea due to the fact that it can lead to psychosis if untreated, isn't that right TTL?).

People whose arguments are mainly based on god should not be taken seriously.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #96
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
What you're saying is that mental illness isn't a valid reason to abort viable fetus. I find this take ridicules knowing that mental illness is as much of a serious illness as physical illness if not worse. Like postpartumt depression antepartum depression is no joke. Often the chemical imbalance (can be categorized as physical illness too) brought about by pregnancy is so sever that abortion is the most logical course of action less you want depression to go untreated (not a good idea due to the fact that it can lead to psychosis if untreated, isn't that right TTL?).

People whose arguments are mainly based on god should not be taken seriously.
Uh, no, I don't think being diagnosed with a mental disorder can justify a late-term abortion. Understanding the seriousness of many mental disorders, it's not on par with a direct, cause and effect life-threatening unviable fetus situation. It just isn't the same thing.

There is a time at which a women's mental health should be of primary concern to her physician. What you're saying is that, if left untreated for the first 7-8 months after conception, the entire process should be re-evaluated? Sorry, but I can't buy that there would ever be a situation where a late-term abortion would "make the most sense" for mental health. It's a strawman.

Your distrust for diety-based arguments is duely noted, though I would think you'd be best off avoiding as opposed to discrediting. Lest you be committing a logical fallacy by baselessly dissmissing a widely considered factor in arguments of morality.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #97
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
What you're saying is that mental illness isn't a valid reason to abort viable fetus. I find this take ridicules knowing that mental illness is as much of a serious illness as physical illness if not worse. Like postpartumt depression antepartum depression is no joke. Often the chemical imbalance (can be categorized as physical illness too) brought about by pregnancy is so sever that abortion is the most logical course of action less you want depression to go untreated (not a good idea due to the fact that it can lead to psychosis if untreated, isn't that right TTL?).
Depression isn't a valid reason IMO to abort a viable fetus (baby) in the third trimester. Depression can be treated. Babies can be adopted. Death can't be turned back or fixed.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #98
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

This can not possibly be the best arguments by you lot. Your professional medical "expertise" notwithstanding mental illness onset is neither always instantaneous (it can progressively get worse) nor is always treatable (through medication and counseling). Granted, some might abuse the system by merely claiming they're suffering from mental illness when they are not but the prospect of abuse shouldn't preclude mental illness as a valid reason.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 06-03-2009 at 03:45 AM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:11 AM   #99
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
This can not possibly be the best arguments by you lot. Your professional medical "expertise" notwithstanding mental illness onset is neither always instantaneous (it can progressively get worse) nor is always treatable (through medication and counseling). Granted, some might abuse the system by merely claiming they're suffering from mental illness when they are not but the prospect of abuse shouldn't preclude mental illness as a valid reason.
It never was a valid reason. A serious concern yes. But I think you have to downplay the seriousness of the late-term abortion to arrive at your conclusion. You previously compared life threatening propositions to postpartum depression; as serious a form as it comes, but still not quite the same thing nor the same reasoning.

I'm not trying to downplay anything here, but I think you need to re-assess.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #100
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It never was a valid reason. A serious concern yes. But I think you have to downplay the seriousness of the late-term abortion to arrive at your conclusion. You previously compared life threatening propositions to postpartum depression; as serious a form as it comes, but still not quite the same thing nor the same reasoning.

I'm not trying to downplay anything here, but I think you need to re-assess.
The left can come up with one excuse after another as to why its OK to have a late term abortion just like this doctor did time after time. Its like they don't even want to adress the nature of this procedure.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #101
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It never was a valid reason. A serious concern yes. But I think you have to downplay the seriousness of the late-term abortion to arrive at your conclusion. You previously compared life threatening propositions to postpartum depression; as serious a form as it comes, but still not quite the same thing nor the same reasoning.

I'm not trying to downplay anything here, but I think you need to re-assess.
If you are being serious you have failed miserably...totally...it's a disaster! I am neither downplaying nor up-playing anything but I do believe late term abortion due to mental illness is valid medical reason not because "I think it is" but because doctors think it is. You seem comfortable accusing me of downplaying late term abortion and yet even more comfortable dismissing its validity entirely for mental heath reasons. What exactly is the basis for your conclusion or are you simply relying on your morality?

This is terrible stuff man, really, and not well thought out. What if the mother is so f*cked up she commits suicide or wants to abort her own baby at home? Do you intend to lock suicidal pregnant women up in mental institutions or in jails?
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 06-03-2009 at 01:44 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #102
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
If you are being serious you have failed miserably...totally...it's a disaster! I am neither downplaying or up-playing anything but I do believe late term abortion is valid medical reason not because "I think it is" but because doctors think it is. You seem comfortable accusing me of downplaying late term abortion and yet even more comfortable dismissing validity entirely for mental heath reasons. What exactly is the basis for your conclusion or are you simply relying on your morality?

This is terrible stuff man, really, and not well thought out. What if the mother is so f*cked up she commits suicide or wants to abort her own baby at home? Do you intend to lock suicidal pregnant women up in mental institutions or in jails?
If doctors find its such an important issue then why is there only 2 left that still provide this much need procedure? Also your own link does not say the treatment for depression is late term abortion.


What is the treatment for depression during pregnancy?
If you feel you may be struggling with depression, the most important thing is to seek help. Talk with your health care provider about your symptoms and struggles. Your health care provider wants the healthiest choice for you and your baby and may discuss options with you for treatment. Treatment options for women who are pregnant can include:

Support groups
Private psychotherapy
Medication
Light therapy
If your symptoms are severe, your health care provider may want to prescribe medication immediately. There are medications that have been used during pregnancy without adverse affects. Discuss with your health care provider what he/she feels is safest for your baby but still beneficial to you.

If you do not feel comfortable talking with your health care provider about your feelings of depression, find someone else to talk with. The most important thing is that someone knows what you are dealing with and can try to help you. Never try to face depression alone. Your baby needs you to seek help and get treatment.

Last Updated: 10/2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by firstdown; 06-03-2009 at 10:58 AM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #103
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
If doctors find its such an important issue then why is there only 2 left that still provide this much need procedure? Also your own link does not say the treatment for depression is late term abortion.


What is the treatment for depression during pregnancy?
If you feel you may be struggling with depression, the most important thing is to seek help. Talk with your health care provider about your symptoms and struggles. Your health care provider wants the healthiest choice for you and your baby and may discuss options with you for treatment. Treatment options for women who are pregnant can include:

Support groups
Private psychotherapy
Medication
Light therapy
If your symptoms are severe, your health care provider may want to prescribe medication immediately. There are medications that have been used during pregnancy without adverse affects. Discuss with your health care provider what he/she feels is safest for your baby but still beneficial to you.

If you do not feel comfortable talking with your health care provider about your feelings of depression, find someone else to talk with. The most important thing is that someone knows what you are dealing with and can try to help you. Never try to face depression alone. Your baby needs you to seek help and get treatment.

Last Updated: 10/2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything is black and white.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #104
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

I love how when don't know how to answer something you come back with a comment like that.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #105
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: republicans, is this helping, or hurting your party

It's a perfect response requiring little explanation. Why waste time seeing how you think depression is always treatable via non-abortion means? Abortion can be the treatment, this is obvious to me.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34175 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25