Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
[/B]

What a stupid comment. Let's see, Sotomayor: a) was a summa cum laude graduate of Princeton University; b) was editor of Yale's law review (one of the single most prominent educational accomplishments in the US educational system); c) was an NYC prosecutor; d) is a seventeen year veteran of the federal judiciary, having served at both the district court and court of appeals level.

The most recent appointee to the US Supreme Court was Samuel Alito, a white male. He also graduated from Princeton, and also went to Yale, where he also served as the editor of the law review, and also served as a state prosecutor, and also was elevated to the US Supreme Court from the court of appeals level. Based on your assessment, he never would have been nominated, but somehow he is a current justice.

Sorry to have scuttled your point with facts; clearly, your preferred vantage point is pure ignorance.

This country will be fortunate to have Sonia Sotomayor serving as a justice to our Supreme Court. Congrats to Judge (and soon to be Justice) Sotomayor.
Yeah whatever. I've been listening to the liberals. We need another woman! We need a minority! We need someone who will feel sorry for the gutter snipes.

Don't give me that crap! Like you're all offended. The last time I checked they spat on Alito at his hearing. All they did was sit up there and lecture the poor man and pontificate about abortion. The poor man's wife had to leave in tears.

Bush had a good education too, yet for eight years he was portrayed as a stupid redneck from Texas. I went to an Ivy League school too, and from what I see most of them are nothing but over-priced liberal sewers I wouldn't let my dog go to.

Oh, and that great woman thinks that she's superior to Caucasian men because of her race and gender, and the fact she crawled out from a NY sewer. So go take it up with her, because she's on record. Here's what I think of that sewer rat and you, Mr. I'm so morally superior. :vomit:
and that's from the heart.

Last edited by Trample the Elderly; 05-26-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

OK trample, the ball is in your court. but wait, it must be the liberal medias fault. some way, some how
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #18
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
OK trample, the ball is in your court. but wait, it must be the liberal medias fault. some way, some how
I don't care what the color of the ladies skin is or if she's a lady. Harriet Meyers wasn't my cup of tea either. The liberal media isn't totally at fault. Many American's don't do their homework and just accept what some talking head tells them and repeat it.
The Supreme Court is a joke, just like this government. Eminent Domain shouldn't be about bulldozing some poor schmucks house to build a Super-Walmart. Let's not forget that we were one vote away from losing our right to bear arms because these groups of clowns couldn't find it in the Constitution.
From what I hear we've already had a Hispanic or Latin Justice, Justice Cardozo. Since he was Jewish, of Portugese decent, looked white and wasn't an Indian, Mestizo, or of African decent than that doesn't count. Hispanic is a stupid term.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

This is the socialist she quoted in her year book.

Norman Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norman Mattoon Thomas (18841968) was a leading American socialist, pacifist, and six-time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America.

This quote her says more about her then any case.

Last edited by firstdown; 05-27-2009 at 02:55 PM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #20
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I don't care what the color of the ladies skin is or if she's a lady. Harriet Meyers wasn't my cup of tea either. The liberal media isn't totally at fault. Many American's don't do their homework and just accept what some talking head tells them and repeat it.
The Supreme Court is a joke, just like this government. Eminent Domain shouldn't be about bulldozing some poor schmucks house to build a Super-Walmart. Let's not forget that we were one vote away from losing our right to bear arms because these groups of clowns couldn't find it in the Constitution.
From what I hear we've already had a Hispanic or Latin Justice, Justice Cardozo. Since he was Jewish, of Portugese decent, looked white and wasn't an Indian, Mestizo, or of African decent than that doesn't count. Hispanic is a stupid term.
Are you simply that stupid of a man? Or are you so f'ing lazy you can't even bother to look up the word Hispanic? For f*ck sake man get your act together. Portuguese are neither Hispanic nor Latino.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #21
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Are you simply that stupid of a man? Or are you so f'ing lazy you can't even bother to look up the word Hispanic? For f*ck sake man get your act together. Portuguese are neither Hispanic nor Latino.

F you Saden. I am so-called Hispanic. It's a made up term and so is Latino. You're not as smart as you think you are.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #22
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
F you Saden. I am so-called Hispanic. It's a made up term and so is Latino. You're not as smart as you think you are.

I am not as smart as I think I am but when I talk about something I try to know what I'm talking about. You on the other hand don't make any effort. It's like you're handicapped and if that's the case I apologies.

Made up term indeed.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #23
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,771
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Are you simply that stupid of a man? Or are you so f'ing lazy you can't even bother to look up the word Hispanic? For f*ck sake man get your act together. Portuguese are neither Hispanic nor Latino.
So are we going to be excited when an Azerbaijanee is put on the court? Do we have to have one representative from every dialect and race and nationality appointed to the court before we stop citing it as a quality? I am pretty sure that every person appointed is unique in some way, so must we now always sort that out? She is the first woman who wears her hair in pig tails. He is the first male named Robert who is not called Bob by all his peers. It gets redundant and ridiculous. As MLK Jr called for, let each person be known by their character, integrity, and honor instead of by the race they were born a member of. (obviously paraphrased)
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #24
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I am not as smart as I think I am but when I talk about something I try to know what I'm talking about. You on the other hand don't make any effort. It's like you're handicapped and if that's the case I apologies.

Made up term indeed.
Just because you try to understand something doesn't mean you do. If three frogs are sitting on a log and one decides to jump off there are still three frogs on a log. You'd have made a good Greek slave, smart in your own pompous way. In the end you'd do the bidding of a Roman who didn't give a damn about your high ideals and stupid ass idealism.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #25
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So are we going to be excited when an Azerbaijanee is put on the court? Do we have to have one representative from every dialect and race and nationality appointed to the court before we stop citing it as a quality? I am pretty sure that every person appointed is unique in some way, so must we now always sort that out? She is the first woman who wears her hair in pig tails. He is the first male named Robert who is not called Bob by all his peers. It gets redundant and ridiculous. As MLK Jr called for, let each person be known by their character, integrity, and honor instead of by the race they were born a member of. (obviously paraphrased)
Diversity matters, it's that simple. I don't understand why people are acting as if she was selected solely based on the fact that she's a Hispanic. It is one factor among many and that is OK.

It's easy to drag the matter through the gutter with a slippery slope argument and it's even easier and reasonable when you're in the majority.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #26
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

A socialist Hispanic at that.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #27
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Just because you try to understand something doesn't mean you do. If three frogs are sitting on a log and one decides to jump off there are still three frogs on a log. You'd have made a good Greek slave, smart in your own pompous way. In the end you'd do the bidding of a Roman who didn't give a damn about your high ideals and stupid ass idealism.
You are unique and special. I have no doubt you only speak the truth and are more than capable of filling Moses' shoes if called upon.

Oh, who I'm I kidding...you're as smart as a peanut butter biscuit laced with salmonella.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,958
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Diversity matters, it's that simple. I don't understand why people are acting as if she was selected solely based on the fact that she's a Hispanic. It is one factor among many and that is OK.

It's easy to drag the matter through the gutter with a slippery slope argument and it's even easier and reasonable when you're in the majority.
I always love the argument that the opinions of members in the majority are less important or less valuable simply because they're in the majority. White people certainly aren't capable of understanding or even discussing matters involving race of course.

I don't know that people are acting like she was only elected based on her ethnicity but then again it was used as qualifying factor. She herself frames the opinions and public perception of her through the prism of her ethnicity adn gender.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #29
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Diversity matters.... It is one factor among many and that is OK.
In matters of law it's not supposed to matter. Race, gender, etc. shouldn't be considered. There's a reason Justice is depicted with a blindfold.

Obama stated he would nominate someone in the judical mainstream, with this pick he definitely did not do what he stated. This is a bad nomination, Obama should've done better homework.

Her legal reasoning should be called into question, a 1-5 with one pending is not a good record on cases reviewed by the SC.

Possible Controversial Positions and Statements
Wrote the 2008 opinion supporting the City of New Haven's decision to throw out the results of a firefighter promotion exam because almost no minorities qualified for promotions. The Supreme Court heard the case in April 2009 and a final opinion is pending.
Sided with environmentalists in a 2007 case that would have allowed the EPA to consider the cost-effectiveness of protecting fish and aquatic life in rivers and lakes located near power plants. Was overturned by the Supreme Court.
Supported the right to sue national investment firms in state court, rather than in federal court. Was overturned unanimously by the Supreme Court.
Ruled that a federal law allowing lawsuits against individual federal government officers and agents for constitutional rights violations also extends to private corporations working on behalf of the federal government. Was overturned by the Supreme Court.
At a 2001 U.C. Berkeley symposium marking the 40th anniversary of the first Latino named to the federal district court, Sotomayor said that the gender and ethnicity of judges does and should affect their judicial decision-making. From her speech:
"I wonder whether by ignoring our differences as women or men of color we do a disservice both to the law and society....
"I further accept that our experiences as women and people of color affect our decisions. The aspiration to impartiality is just that - it's an aspiration because it denies the fact that we are by our experiences making different choices than others....
"Our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor [Martha] Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." [U.C. Berkeley School of Law, 10/26/2001]
Cases Reviewed by the Supreme Court
Ricci v. DeStefano 530 F.3d 87 (2008) -- decision pending as of 5/26/2009
Riverkeeper, Inc. vs. EPA, 475 F.3d 83 (2007) -- reversed 6-3 (Dissenting: Stevens, Souter, Ginsburg)
Knight vs. Commissioner, 467 F.3d 149 (2006) -- upheld, but reasoning was unanimously faulted
Dabit vs. Merrill Lynch, 395 F.3d 25 (2005) -- reversed 8-0
Empire Healthchoice Assurance, Inc. vs. McVeigh, 396 F.3d 136 (2005) -- reversed 5-4 (Dissenting: Breyer, Kennedy, Souter, Alito)
Malesko v. Correctional Services Corp., 299 F.3d 374 (2000) -- reversed 5-4 (Dissenting: Stevens, Souter, Ginsburg, Breyer)
Tasini vs. New York Times, et al, 972 F. Supp. 804 (1997) -- reversed 7-2 (Dissenting: Stevens, Breyer)
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #30
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

I was the first half-Hispanic moderator ever on this site (I think)...but did anyone acknowledge that? Nooooooo.

I'm starting to wonder now if I wasn't a token case by Matty?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32680 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25