Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Seems like Sotomayor is a good pick. Should be an interesting to watch the confirmation hearing.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

So now everything she has ever said will be looked over and over and over etc....again
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Seems like Sotomayor is a good pick. Should be an interesting to watch the confirmation hearing.
Until we find out she's filed some questionable tax returns in recent years.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

While she will likely be appointed as the Reps can't stop it without a filibuster and she is a liberal, replacing a liberal, she and Obama will take some hits.

From the article: But Sotomayor's work as a judge is not without controversy. During a speech at the University of California at Berkeley, Sotomayor said, "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
Sotomayor also served on a three-judge panel that declined to address the Constitutional issues at stake in Ricci v. DeStefano, a case involving white firefighters who claim they were denied promotions because of "reverse discrimination."

I added the wiki link.
Ricci v. DeStefano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Makes me think about two things; one if a white male said what Sotomayor said, he'd be crucified in the media and would likely be forced to resign from whatever position he had. Second, if her opinion with the majority at the Court of Appeals is overturned at the SCOTUS, what does that say about her legal-reasoning? This case hitting the SCOTUS couldn't come at a worse time for her if they overturn the decision.

From the article again: And in 2005, when Sotomayor spoke on a Duke University forum, she said, "All of the legal defense funds out there, they're looking for people with court of appeals experience" because "the court of appeals is where policy is made."

Interesting, I didn't think Federal judges made policy, I thought that was Congress' job.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,586
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Boricua!!!
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
While she will likely be appointed as the Reps can't stop it without a filibuster and she is a liberal, replacing a liberal, she and Obama will take some hits.

From the article: But Sotomayor's work as a judge is not without controversy. During a speech at the University of California at Berkeley, Sotomayor said, "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
Sotomayor also served on a three-judge panel that declined to address the Constitutional issues at stake in Ricci v. DeStefano, a case involving white firefighters who claim they were denied promotions because of "reverse discrimination."

I added the wiki link.
Ricci v. DeStefano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Makes me think about two things; one if a white male said what Sotomayor said, he'd be crucified in the media and would likely be forced to resign from whatever position he had. Second, if her opinion with the majority at the Court of Appeals is overturned at the SCOTUS, what does that say about her legal-reasoning? This case hitting the SCOTUS couldn't come at a worse time for her if they overturn the decision.

From the article again: And in 2005, when Sotomayor spoke on a Duke University forum, she said, "All of the legal defense funds out there, they're looking for people with court of appeals experience" because "the court of appeals is where policy is made."

Interesting, I didn't think Federal judges made policy, I thought that was Congress' job.
If white firefighters didn't bring up a lawsuit black firefighters would have. Clearly there's a reason why the courts exist. I can make the argument that fire fighting doesn't require a test beyond how to use your equipment, what to do in certain situations and how to climb up ladders.

You act like she's a servant of the SCOTUS and should therefore think like SC judges. Her job is to discriminate between cases and obviously she has a disagreement with what judges in the SC deemed a case worth looking at. Let's not act high and mighty either, you got Robers and Alito who are fresh arrivales from the Court of Appeals.

Federal judges do make policy, they're just not suppose to call it policy. Judicial ruling sounds much more pleasant to the ear but what is it really? What do you think the SC does? Thumbs up and thumbs down on policy is policy creation! Even my boy Mark Levin Mark Levin knows this.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
If white firefighters didn't bring up a lawsuit black firefighters would have. Clearly there's a reason why the courts exist. I can make the argument that fire fighting doesn't require a test beyond how to use your equipment, what to do in certain situations and how to climb up ladders.
I haven't seen the test but I'm pretty confident it was a job knowledge test, similar to a test the military services use for promotion. How about the people who perform the best on the test get promoted, regardless of race. Period. If I'm the CIty of New Haven, I'll fight a lawsuit saying the test was racially biased if I know I've done my due diligence and the test is not biased.

Quote:
You act like she's a servant of the SCOTUS and should therefore think like SC judges. Her job is to discriminate between cases and obviously she has a disagreement with what judges in the SC deemed a case worth looking at. Let's not act high and mighty either, you got Robers and Alito who are fresh arrivales from the Court of Appeals.
I don't think she's a servant of the SCOTUS and no one's acting "high and mighty". All I'm saying is if her court's ruling is overturned by the SCOTUS by anything other than 5-4, her "legal reasoning" will be called into question.

Quote:
Federal judges do make policy, they're just not suppose to call it policy. Judicial ruling sounds much more pleasant to the ear but what is it really? What do you think the SC does? Thumbs up and thumbs down on policy is policy creation! Even my boy Mark Levin knows this.
I've read the book and the whole premise is that Federal judges shouldn't be making policy they should be interpreting laws and settling cases based on law, not what their political agendas are or what they think is the "empathetic" thing to do.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

From what I hear was they didn't have any black firefighters. Just one Spanish dude and a lot of white guys. So they didn't promote anyone even though many of these men were qualified and they had a postition to fill.

Typical liberal BS. She wouldn't even be nominated if she wasn't a Puerto Rican and a woman. It's the same as Obama. If he had been Barry Whitebread from po-dunk AL, Hillary would be the president.

Last edited by Trample the Elderly; 05-26-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I haven't seen the test but I'm pretty confident it was a job knowledge test, similar to a test the military services use for promotion. How about the people who perform the best on the test get promoted, regardless of race. Period. If I'm the CIty of New Haven, I'll fight a lawsuit saying the test was racially biased if I know I've done my due diligence and the test is not biased.
You assume we're all on equal footing. I haven't seen the test either so I can't make an argument for it or against it. I will say this though, if the test was all physical the result would be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I don't think she's a servant of the SCOTUS and no one's acting "high and mighty". All I'm saying is if her court's ruling is overturned by the SCOTUS by anything other than 5-4, her "legal reasoning" will be called into question.
Perhaps but lets be honest, she is merely disagreeing with other judges and it's hard to imagine a judge that hasn't disagreed with other judges. That line of attack is easily rebutted and pretty worthless if you don't mind me saying so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I've read the book and the whole premise is that Federal judges shouldn't be making policy they should be interpreting laws and settling cases based on law, not what their political agendas are or what they think is the "empathetic" thing to do.
I know, my point was that SC has always been filled with political ideologues and empathetic people who make policy. Levin's opinion not withstanding SC judges can do whatever the hell they want. The Constitution places no limits upon what they can or can't do beyond conducting themselves ethically.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,512
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
From what I hear was they didn't have any black firefighters. Just one Spanish dude and a lot of white guys. So they didn't promote anyone even though many of these men were qualified and they has a postition to fill.

Typical liberal BS. She wouldn't even be nominated if she wasn't a Puerto Rican and a woman. It's the same as Obama. If he had been Barry Whitebread from po-dunk AL, Hillary would be the president.
this has to be one of the most ignorant things posted on this board
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
From what I hear was they didn't have any black firefighters. Just one Spanish dude and a lot of white guys. So they didn't promote anyone even though many of these men were qualified and they has a postition to fill.

Typical liberal BS. She wouldn't even be nominated if she wasn't a Puerto Rican and a woman. It's the same as Obama. If he had been Barry Whitebread from po-dunk AL, Hillary would be the president.
You're such a beacon of wisdom, it's good to have you on this board...err...no...I was thinking of someone else.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 05-26-2009 at 04:00 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You assume we're all on equal footing. I haven't seen the test either so I can't make an argument for it or against it. I will say this though, if the test was all physical the result would be different.
Interesting take, I haven't seen the firefighters in New Haven so I can't comment

Quote:
Perhaps but lets be honest, she is merely disagreeing with other judges and it's hard to imagine a judge that hasn't disagreed with other judges. That line of attack is easily rebutted and pretty worthless if you don't mind me saying so.
Agree with you, not saying it's correct, but it will be thrown out there

Quote:
The Constitution places no limits upon what they can or can't do beyond conducting themselves ethically.
That's why Congress has the power to create legislation and the Supreme Court has no power to enforce its rulings.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
this has to be one of the most ignorant things posted on this board
Coming from you I'll take that as a compliment. I didn't say anything that Bill didn't. So go take it up with him.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Impact Rookie
 
BringBackJoeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Van Ness, Washington D.C.
Posts: 594
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
From what I hear was they didn't have any black firefighters. Just one Spanish dude and a lot of white guys. So they didn't promote anyone even though many of these men were qualified and they has a postition to fill.

Typical liberal BS. She wouldn't even be nominated if she wasn't a Puerto Rican and a woman. It's the same as Obama. If he had been Barry Whitebread from po-dunk AL, Hillary would be the president.


What a stupid comment. Let's see, Sotomayor: a) was a summa cum laude graduate of Princeton University; b) was editor of Yale's law review (one of the single most prominent educational accomplishments in the US educational system); c) was an NYC prosecutor; d) is a seventeen year veteran of the federal judiciary, having served at both the district court and court of appeals level.

The most recent appointee to the US Supreme Court was Samuel Alito, a white male. He also graduated from Princeton, and also went to Yale, where he also served as the editor of the law review, and also served as a state prosecutor, and also was elevated to the US Supreme Court from the court of appeals level. Based on your assessment, he never would have been nominated, but somehow he is a current justice.

Sorry to have scuttled your point with facts; clearly, your preferred vantage point is pure ignorance.

This country will be fortunate to have Sonia Sotomayor serving as a justice to our Supreme Court. Congrats to Judge (and soon to be Justice) Sotomayor.
__________________
Super Trouper lights are gonna find me. Shining like the sun. Smiling having fun. Feeling like a number one.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #15
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Obama Nominates Sotomayor to SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
[/b]

What a stupid comment. Let's see, Sotomayor: a) was a summa cum laude graduate of Princeton University; b) was editor of Yale's law review (one of the single most prominent educational accomplishments in the US educational system); c) was an NYC prosecutor; d) is a seventeen year veteran of the federal judiciary, having served at both the district court and court of appeals level.

The most recent appointee to the US Supreme Court was Samuel Alito, a white male. He also graduated from Princeton, and also went to Yale, where he also served as the editor of the law review, and also served as a state prosecutor, and also was elevated to the US Supreme Court from the court of appeals level. Based on your assessment, he never would have been nominated, but somehow he is a current justice.

Sorry to have scuttled your point with facts; clearly, your preferred vantage point is pure ignorance.

This country will be fortunate to have Sonia Sotomayor serving as a justice to our Supreme Court. Congrats to Judge (and soon to be Justice) Sotomayor.
...Bang! Bang!



...you done shot him dead!
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.51939 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25