Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


School is almost out for summer

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,007
School is almost out for summer

Remember those days when the school year would be winding down and you were facing the reality of having your summer off? Picnics, swimming lessons, backyard baseball, mowing the lawn, sleeping in, etc. I've gotta admit I miss that feeling of freedom.

I should have been a teacher.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: School is almost out for summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Remember those days when the school year would be winding down and you were facing the reality of having your summer off? Picnics, swimming lessons, backyard baseball, mowing the lawn, sleeping in, etc. I've gotta admit I miss that feeling of freedom.

I should have been a teacher.
Oh man, for sure. I miss those days, too. Falling asleep to sounds of crickets and cicadas, orange juice popsicles, Orioles games, weeks at Bethany Beach...

Nothing like the last day of school, too. Remember how elated you were when you walked out that door knowing you didn't have set foot in that place for another 3 months??
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: School is almost out for summer

Eh, summer is overrated. There's so much of summer where I have absolutely nothing that needs to get done, and no matter what the weather's like, there's way too much boredom for my sanity. Then, during the school year, there's way too much work and not enough hours in a week.

I'm the weird guy who will probably enjoy having a full time job.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,007
Re: School is almost out for summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Eh, summer is overrated. There's so much of summer where I have absolutely nothing that needs to get done, and no matter what the weather's like, there's way too much boredom for my sanity. Then, during the school year, there's way too much work and not enough hours in a week.

I'm the weird guy who will probably enjoy having a full time job.
Dial it back a little further to when you were 10 years old. I hope you weren't working then LOL
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,007
Re: School is almost out for summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Oh man, for sure. I miss those days, too. Falling asleep to sounds of crickets and cicadas, orange juice popsicles, Orioles games, weeks at Bethany Beach...

Nothing like the last day of school, too. Remember how elated you were when you walked out that door knowing you didn't have set foot in that place for another 3 months??
Dude that seriously triggers some memories for me. I remember loving falling asleep to that sound, and the soft buzz of the fan in my window, and being so bummed in the late summer/early fall when that sound would be gone.

And for the last day of school, it was pure heaven. I would literally float out of the building.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: School is almost out for summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Dude that seriously triggers some memories for me. I remember loving falling asleep to that sound, and the soft buzz of the fan in my window, and being so bummed in the late summer/early fall when that sound would be gone.

And for the last day of school, it was pure heaven. I would literally float out of the building.
You said it. Something about the buzzing of those insects, and I had the fan in the window as well. Also, remember the way those summer nights used to smell when you were a kid? You know what I mean- kind of a mix of sweat, bug spray, and that warm air? Ah the bliss of youth.

My birthday (August 13th) when I was a kid was always bittersweet. Of course I loved having a birthday, all my friends coming over, presents, etc. But an upcoming birthday always meant the first day of school was only a few weeks away.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: School is almost out for summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

And for the last day of school, it was pure heaven. I would literally float out of the building.
Child of the 70s?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,709
Re: School is almost out for summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
You said it. Something about the buzzing of those insects, and I had the fan in the window as well. Also, remember the way those summer nights used to smell when you were a kid? You know what I mean- kind of a mix of sweat, bug spray, and that warm air? Ah the bliss of youth.

My birthday (August 13th) when I was a kid was always bittersweet. Of course I loved having a birthday, all my friends coming over, presents, etc. But an upcoming birthday always meant the first day of school was only a few weeks away.

Wow we were both born on the same day! Awesome!

Last week the 10 year old in my neighborhood came skipping and yelling up the street to the bus stop and was like it is the last day of school!!!!! I was soooooooo jealous, it was as I was heading out to work.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: School is almost out for summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Wow we were both born on the same day! Awesome!

Last week the 10 year old in my neighborhood came skipping and yelling up the street to the bus stop and was like it is the last day of school!!!!! I was soooooooo jealous, it was as I was heading out to work.
Wow. Nice. I haven't met too many people born on the August 13th. Not that we've met, but you're only maybe the 4th or 5th person I've ever come in contact with with the same Bday. Cheers!

BTW, one of our up and coming young Redskins, Kareem Moore, has our birthday as well.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #10
Playmaker
 
gibbsisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 129 W 81st street
Age: 35
Posts: 3,503
Re: School is almost out for summer

Some California Students May Get 34 Extra School Days - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

This would totally suck
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: School is almost out for summer

It sounds like that school used that law to take sometime off and now its coming back to bite them. Its also probably another example of why Ca is so screwed up in the first place.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: School is almost out for summer

Lexington: The underworked American | The Economist
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,709
Re: School is almost out for summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
It sounds like that school used that law to take sometime off and now its coming back to bite them. Its also probably another example of why Ca is so screwed up in the first place.

Negative Nancy comes along and even kills the Summer Vaction thread, great work!
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: School is almost out for summer

There was nothing like finishing school and enjoying the summer nights playing baseball and catching fireflies (sometimes at the same time).

I told one of my interns last month to enjoy her summer vacation (she's a junior in college) because once you join the workforce there's really no such thing as summer vacation because all the seasons blend together...she looked at me like I just told her I ran over her dog. I thought she was going to start bawling.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,548
Re: School is almost out for summer

Man, speaking of crickets... TREE FROGS, best thing to sleep to ever.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27493 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25